Is Thief Trilogy, still the best Stealth Games ever?

• 112 results
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

LOL at people calling MGS a stealth game.

When you can play the entirety of the games in stealth and stealth is where they truly shine, then I see no issue.

Even if you're trying to set up an arbitrary criteria, it still meets them all. You can play %100 stealth while killing. You can play %100 stealth, no kills, but with some interaction. Or you can just completely ghost the games. Not only do the games play best as stealth games, but you also get rewarded for not killing or setting off alerts.

I beat all 4 of the main MGS titles in complete stealth, so lol at you broseph.

@jhonMalcovich said:

MGS is about half stealth half action

If that is how you choose to play them, sure.

@jhonMalcovich said:

Have you ever heard this proverb: "Jack of all trades, master of none"

I'm pretty sure everyone has at some point. It simply doesn't apply here.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

MGS2, MGS3 and Chaos Theory are all right up there.

Sure you don't have to stealth your way through all these games, but when you do, they really shine.

This was exactly my point, they are great stealth games, they just don't force stealth.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

When you can play the entirety of the games in stealth and stealth is where they truly shine, then I see no issue.

Even if you're trying to set up an arbitrary criteria, it still meets them all. You can play %100 stealth while killing. You can play %100 stealth, no kills, but with some interaction. Or you can just completely ghost the games. Not only do the games play best as stealth games, but you also get rewarded for not killing or setting off alerts.

I'd define a "true" stealth game as something that forces the player to use stealth in order to overcome the obstacles placed in front of them. MGS doesn't do this, it gives a "shooter" way out in most situations.

It's more of a "stealth lite" game, or, honestly "tactical espionage action" sure fits the bill.

I've done full ghost runs and full brogamer shoot-em-up runs of MGS2 and MGS3. Giving the option isn't "true" stealth. In fact, the Thief games punish you for not being stealthy.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ConanTheStoner

@foxhound_fox said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

I'd define a "true" stealth game as something that forces the player to use stealth in order to overcome the obstacles placed in front of them. MGS doesn't do this, it gives a "shooter" way out in most situations.

It's more of a "stealth lite" game, or, honestly "tactical espionage action" sure fits the bill.

I've done full ghost runs and full brogamer shoot-em-up runs of MGS2 and MGS3. Giving the option isn't "true" stealth. In fact, the Thief games punish you for not being stealthy.

So when I set MGS2, or MGS3 to European Extreme does it magically turn into a "true" stealth game then?

Really, I don't get it. It's as if MGS can't be a stealth game just because it gives you other options of play. Like Kojima should have just neutered his games or something. Set the game to run in Euro Extreme the whole time and strip away all the extra options, then MGS would be considered a stealth game. Sounds kind of funny to me.

The pure stealth game is there. It's how you're encouraged to play and you're rewarded for doing so. I don't think the option for other play styles should take away from that.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

i like this thread because it shows u console gamers are basically gaming noobs.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#56 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

As pure stealth Thief 1-2 has everyone beat. The attention to detail in those games is awesome, sound plays such a crucial role.

God that reboot was so bad, it's just depressing.

Agreed

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 foxhound_fox

@ConanTheStoner said:

@foxhound_fox said:

So when I set MGS2, or MGS3 to European Extreme does it magically turn into a "true" stealth game then?

Really, I don't get it. It's as if MGS can't be a stealth game just because it gives you other options of play. Like Kojima should have just neutered his games or something. Set the game to run in Euro Extreme the whole time and strip away all the extra options, then MGS would be considered a stealth game. Sounds kind of funny to me.

The pure stealth game is there. It's how you're encouraged to play and you're rewarded for doing so. I don't think the option for other play styles should take away from that.

We are at that point where we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I loveMGS (except MGS4) but recognize that games like Thief are a step ahead in terms of stealth gameplay. The MGS games don't even use lighting as a means of hiding oneself. Even the original Syphon Filter on the PlayStation had lighting play into it's stealth sections.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#58  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Its comfortably still the best. The Hitman series is generally overrated due to the poor controls and wonky mechanics. Absolution was a disaster.

Thief is unique because its still one of the only pure stealth series. Most others, even something great like Last of Us, are stealth-action games.

Its distinguished not only for the stealth but the quality of the level design, the sound, story and its main character.

I think the reason why its mechanics are so precise and why it feels so comfortable as a stealth game is because it was designed with that genre in first, rather than it being a secondary component of an action game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@foxhound_fox

Well..... How are they going to "Force" players to use stealth ?

Will the mission just end abruptly if you are spotted ?

Will you be significantly overwhelmed if you are spotted, possibly by hive mind AI who never lose track of you once they spot you ?

stealth should be encouraged, not Forced..... Failure to use to stealth should be punished, not outright unviable.

I don't thinka stealth game is any less of stealth game if it doesn't smite you out of existence for not staying in the shadows...... That just makes it Stealth +.......

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 foxhound_fox

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Exactly how the Thief games do it... by making Garrett a waif in melee combat and very easy to kill. Making stealth the only real viable option to overcome the obstacles in the game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol no, thief sucks

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Lulu_Lulu

@foxhound_fox

Sounds repetitive. :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 foxhound_fox

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Yeah, totally not dependent on the player's creativity, ingenuity and cunning. *rolls eyes*

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@indzman said:

Ummm Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are better =P

Gotta agree with this. Thief 1 was nice to me. Didn't make me want to get the second one though.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Cloud_imperium

@foxhound_fox said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Yeah, totally not dependent on the player's creativity, ingenuity and cunning. *rolls eyes*

It is pretty obvious that he never touched Thief games before, so it is useless to argue.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I consider MGS3, Chaos Theory, and Blacklist to be the best.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

How you can play it in 100% stealth when you have boss fights that require you to fight like a Rambo? In stealth game you are supposed to survive 10 bullets or a missile fired towards you. Try to Rambo your way in Thief and se if you can move a feet away. Yeah, that is a true stealth game. In MGS I can easily gun down everybody and complete the mission. There's no fucking way in MGS you can can 100 stealth it. There are sections where you have to fight your way out. It's an action game with stealth elements here and there with clunky controls. 90% of the time you are fighting with controls rather than enjoying the game and if that's shining to you, I don't know. To me it's crap gameplay.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

How you can play it in 100% stealth when you have boss fights that require you to fight like a Rambo? In stealth game you are supposed to survive 10 bullets or a missile fired towards you. Try to Rambo your way in Thief and se if you can move a feet away. Yeah, that is a true stealth game. In MGS I can easily gun down everybody and complete the mission. There's no fucking way in MGS you can can 100 stealth it. There are sections where you have to fight your way out. It's an action game with stealth elements here and there with clunky controls. 90% of the time you are fighting with controls rather than enjoying the game and if that's shining to you, I don't know. To me it's crap gameplay.

It sounds like you haven't played an MGS title past the original on playstation. Like seriously.

Are you secretly Darksyde Phil? That might explain things better.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

It sounds like you haven't played an MGS title past the original on playstation. Like seriously.

Are you secretly Darksyde Phil? That might explain things better.

Okay!!! So you don't have to fight that Col. something in MGS 3 who shoots electric volts? I'm pretty sure I have to wear a crocodile mask to know the direction in which I'm shooting the gun to hit him in the early fight. Then This whole Tank like fighting on a bike.

What about that idoitic guy that shoots bees or an astronaut who's on fire. You can stealthly take them down? How about MGS2 and that Vamp guy. What about the whole fighting with the chopper thing? Some really cool stealth game. Oh and did I forget the last boss fight. And all that with shitty controls.

In MGS4, the fights with BB corps, perhaps. Yup, definitely a stealth and not an action game.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Krelian-co

@foxhound_fox said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

not enough michael bay moments for lulu, you know you gotta keep the explosions coming or else you might lose the people with the attention span and intellect of an amoeba.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Cloud_imperium
@Krelian-co said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

not enough michael bay moments for lulu, you know you gotta keep the explosions coming or else you might lose the people with the attention span and intellect of an amoeba.

Don't forget Co-op and David Cage's style storytelling.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Krelian-co

@ConanTheStoner said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

Finally someone who understands. MGS are meant to be played as a stealth game, they just don't make gimp other play styles just so you HAVE to be stealthy.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ConanTheStoner

@foxhound_fox said:

We are at that point where we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I loveMGS (except MGS4) but recognize that games like Thief are a step ahead in terms of stealth gameplay. The MGS games don't even use lighting as a means of hiding oneself. Even the original Syphon Filter on the PlayStation had lighting play into it's stealth sections.

Hey, I can agree to disagree, I know you're not just hating and know you love your MGS.

I'm not even saying the MGS games are better stealth games than Thief though. I'm not here to argue that the MGS titles are better than any stealth games, I'm simply arguing that they are stealth games.

As far as light and shadow playing a role, I don't think that has too much to do with whether a game is stealth or not.

That said, both MGS2 and MGS3 do have minor moments where shadow does in-fact play a factor. There are dark nooks and crannies in both the tanker and Big Shell where enemies will walk right past you in sneaking mode, or even run past you in evasion mode. The element is there, it's just not used very liberally. Same thing in MGS3 when your camo index is heightened in certain shadowy spots.

As far as full on light and shadow play like what you're talking about, Ground Zeroes would be the first MGS title to do so.

@foxhound_fox said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Exactly how the Thief games do it... by making Garrett a waif in melee combat and very easy to kill. Making stealth the only real viable option to overcome the obstacles in the game.

Aaaannndd, while it's not exactly the same, MGS isn't too far off.

European Extreme in MGS2 and MGS3. The moment you're spotted it's game over.

The Boss Extreme in MGS4. Limited ammo, limited rations, low health bar, more accurate enemies that can see much further... you're pretty much gonna die if spotted.

@Krelian-co said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Finally someone who understands. MGS are meant to be played as a stealth game, they just don't make gimp other play styles just so you HAVE to be stealthy.

Yeah, it's the age old argument about MGS. It's as if some gamers are mad about having options. MGS games are very much OBVIOUSLY meant to be played stealth. That's what they excel at. But luckily we have the freedom to tackle things any number of ways which is why these are some of the most replayable games around. I love goofing around with the many facets of the game just as much as I love doing a pure stealth run.

If someone doesn't want to mess with the other shit, then set the game to European Extreme and good luck. Problem solved.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Lulu_Lulu

@foxhound_fox:

Well creativity usually takes a bit of trial and error...

All though I must say they have been many instances where I walk into a room come up with a plan right on the spot and executed it mostly without fail. Depending on how one sees it, its either the mark of a good game or the mark of an obviously predictable game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ConanTheStoner:

I see this alot from time to time, its not enough for a game to have an optional feature.... it needs to be mandatory. There's a bunch of gamers who simply lack the capacity to use an optional feature, these are the same people who same Arkgam City shallow and tedious because you aren't firced to do anything more than Hit, Counter, Hit, Counter. ... and the rare occasional dodge. Despite the fact that Batman can do a whole lot more than that.

If I had to guess, this is not the type of gamer who plays a game to experience it.... this is the type of gamer who plays games just to finnish them. As if it were some tedious chore.... They will do no more than the bare minimum..... unless they are forced to do so.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Dishonored is the best stealth game.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Hitman games

Splinter Cell

Thief was good for it's time but my god, try and play the first game now and for me cannot see it as that good of a stealth game now, but that might be because of the graphics, I remember loving it when it came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

No Goldeneye is the best stealth game ever. Dual weapons with sniper riflle and shotgun. Most influential fps game of all time.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Lulu_Lulu

@Heirren

I'm confused..... Is it the best stealth game or best FPS ? And how does dual weilding a shotgun fit into all this ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Heirren

I'm confused..... Is it the best stealth game or best FPS ? And how does dual weilding a shotgun fit into all this ?

Best of both. Expanding thread. Goldeneye glitch created what is now known as "iron sights".

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Nah, fox is right. A pure stealth game is just that, nothing but stealth as a priority. A game that forces you to stealth with either a) optional gameplay methods (melee/gunplay,etc.) that are designed to be severely handicapped in comparison to stealth or b) nothing but stealth as an option.

A hybrid with equally relevant options, say, gunplay and stealth, is an action-stealth game. Thief (1&2) is pure stealth because other options are absolutely not viable. And is the reason why i don't like the series at all.. I'm not a fan of pure stealth, and the other optional methods to play are dreadful.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@indzman said:

Ummm Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are better =P

Gotta agree with this. Thief 1 was nice to me. Didn't make me want to get the second one though.

The second Thief is the best, and really outshines the first game in every conceivable way. If there was only one Thief game that you were gonna play, it should have been Thief 2. There's some great texture mods btw.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Yes easily. Heck..more than ever, because this year we go mods that fixed some of the most serious Deadly Shadows mistakes.

The only thing that can rival Thief in stealth is Dark Mod, which is a spiritual fan-made successor to Thief.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Cloud_imperium

@AdrianWerner said:

Yes easily. Heck..more than ever, because this year we go mods that fixed some of the most serious Deadly Shadows mistakes.

The only thing that can rival Thief in stealth is Dark Mod, which is a spiritual fan-made successor to Thief.

I haven't played Dark Mod yet. I may try it.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

The young people will say no; listing sold snake or last or us movie game with barely gameplay have; older, wiser people will say yes.

Modern game wise: Blacklist.

You're not wise. In fact, you're an idiot, Sniper.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

Stealth is probably my favourite genre but I couldn't get into the Thief series because of the supernatural element. The first three Splinter Cell games would be my choice. Beating them on the hardest difficulty was so satisfying and the spies vs mercs multiplayer was incredible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@ConanTheStoner:

That is why mgs4 is so great. The gameplay is so open for player decision. The games that force stealth unto a player aren't "more stealth", they are actually less so. Restricting the player gives no sense of risk/reward.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#88 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

ITT: a bunch of arbitrary bullshit to downplay MGS's brilliant stealth gameplay. Not that I think it bests Thief 2 it doesn't, and frankly lots of things don't. But I find the logic behind Hitman counting, when you fucking shoot up mardi gras in a chicken suit, but not MGS, which you will get buttfucked on hard or higher if you try to go guns blazing is contradicting as ****.

OF the games being discussed only Chaos Theory and Thief really felt like games where action wasn't an option. Either by design (Thief) or because Sam Fisher sucked that much with a gun (shit combat). That however should not invalidate a game that says **** it we are going to balance both, and then does it brilliantly, and for those seeking the deeper elements of the game can play it for just the stealth, and then be challenged by it.

But that's okay, this forum is usually allergic to actual gameplay depth.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Lulu_Lulu

@jg4xchamp:

Allergic is an understatement... this forum avoids gameplay depth like its the plague.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

overall as a finished product I would still go with metal gear solid.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Nope. Tlou destroyed it and revoutioned the stealth genre and gaming in general. Blood money comes close but mg5 will destroy all and claim game of the century title

by ripping off manhunt?

Anyway thief 2 didnt feel stealthy to me, i mea you can swordfight anyone in that game unlike the first game. For the best ill go with chaos theory.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Cloud_imperium

@TheGuardian03:

Reboot is a slap in the face of Thief fans. You should play original trilogy. Excellent games.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#94 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

I consider MGS3, Chaos Theory, and Blacklist to be the best.

I have to agree as well (on all 3)

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#95 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Thief or Splinter Cell for me.

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#99 Running-Target
Member since 2014 • 413 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@AdrianWerner said:

I haven't played Dark Mod yet. I may try it.

Loading Video...

Give it a try. :)

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#100 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I wouldn't know. Most of my stealth play came from Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, and Assassin's Creed.