Is Thief Trilogy, still the best Stealth Games ever?

• 112 results
DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#102 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I usually hate stealth because essentially I feel powerless so I've always enjoyed the stealth in batman. Essentially you are doing it for intimidation purposes. Get caught and you can kick ass out of the situation.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yes.

It amazes me how still so few "stealth" games these days actually integrate lighting into the actual stealth mechanics.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Hopefully Phantom pain sets a new standard for stealth gameplay.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#105 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I like phantom pain but IMO it's not as realistic as splinter cell

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#106 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Yeah, for me when it comes to Stealth, it's all about realism and being a bit underpowered. Dishonored 2 is the closest thing that we are going to get in this day and age. Those games punish you for killing too many enemies by giving you more plague and bad ending.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#107 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@the_master_race said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Yeah, for me when it comes to Stealth, it's all about realism and being a bit underpowered. Dishonored 2 is the closest thing that we are going to get in this day and age. Those games punish you for killing too many enemies by giving you more plague and bad ending.

Agreed, I’m a crazy fan of dishonored however the game wasn’t as challenging as I want it to be, I mean for instance with Corvo’s ability to teleport I could eliminate all my enemies with shadow kill without dropping a body or raising any alarm and such powerful skills made the game way too easy for me moreover NPC’s AI is the other important feature that a stealth game developer shouldn’t ignore

PS: I really like those stealth game where you can kill your target and make it like it’s an unfortunate accident

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Cloud_imperium

@the_master_race said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@the_master_race said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Agreed, I’m a crazy fan of dishonored however the game wasn’t as challenging as I want it to be, I mean for instance with Corvo’s ability to teleport I could eliminate all my enemies with shadow kill without dropping a body or raising any alarm and such powerful skills made the game way too easy for me moreover NPC’s AI is the other important feature that a stealth game developer shouldn’t ignore

PS: I really like those stealth game where you can kill your target and make it like it’s an unfortunate accident

I wanted it more challenging as well. Being underpowered was one of the biggest reasons that made Thief a great Stealth game. But as I said, Dishonored is the best thing that we are going to get in today's era when new gamers get frustrated pretty soon.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#109  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Mark of the Ninja is about on par, mechanically. It uses Sound propegation. Light Sources, a range of modern sensors and even Smell as a mechanic. A pretty neat arsenal of tools and gear that changes the flow of stealth. Alot of Curveballs to be had (Dogs, dudes that shoot light flares among other things). Though I think some of the levels in MotN, especially the latter ones recycle scenarios a fair bit.

Other than that, well, MGS3 and Splinter Cell: CT were good games, not better in the stealth department than Thief in my opinion, but they have other things going for it. Same goes with Hitman: Blood Money, which I found more enjoyable in a more sandboxy way.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

So is this still a necro thread with the TC posting in it again?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Cloud_imperium

@illmatic87 said:

Mark of the Ninja is about on par, mechanically. It uses Sound propegation. Light Sources, a range of modern sensors and even Smell as a mechanic. A pretty neat arsenal of tools and gear that changes the flow of stealth. Alot of Curveballs to be had (Dogs, dudes that shoot light flares among other things). Though I think some of the levels in MotN, especially the latter ones recycle scenarios a fair bit.

Other than that, well, MGS3 and Splinter Cell: CT were good games, not better in the stealth department than Thief in my opinion, but they have other things going for it. Same goes with Hitman: Blood Money, which I found more enjoyable in a more sandboxy way.

I like Mark of the Ninja. I really enjoyed it. Those guys also released Invisible Inc recently. I heard it's a great game too.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#112  Edited By dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
@Krelian-co said:

No.

This.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#113 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Splinter Cell Blacklist wins by default because it lets the player actually have fun playing and not force trial and error bullshit.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#114 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@running-target: this thread is over five months old. Why did you bump it?