If you wii haters are 'real gamers', here are some 'real games' (no 56k)

• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts

Since E3 I hear so many people hating on the wii, spouting the same stupid lines over and over again - "Nintendo is killing gaming!" "Nintendo doesn't care about gamers!" and "The wii only has casual games and minigame collections!" And apparently anyone who still likes the wii is not a 'real gamer', just a 'noob'.

If you wii haters are 'real gamers', then you must agree that the most important thing for a console to have is good games, right? And it really doesn't matter if the console has bad games as well. I'm asking you to look beyond WiiFit and Big Brain Academy, and open your eyes to the excellent lineup of games the wii offers. I'm not saying that the wii has the best lineup, nor that every 'real gamer' should buy a wii because of these games. But to say that the wii is aimed mostly at casuals and non-gamers is plain old stupidity.

Although I'm posting one screen for each game, this isn't a graphics thread. It just seems to me that SW posters respond to images better than words. I've chosen these games because they all appeal primarily or exclusively to hardcore gamers, and none of them are the minigame compilations that you guys hate so much (personally I love warioware but w/e).

1. No More Heroes

stylish free-roaming action/adventure from Grasshopper Manufacture and Suda 51, creators of Killer7. Allows players to swing a lightsaber-like weapon with the wiimote. Ultra gory and full of style, with a capital STYLE.

No More Heroes

2. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

Sequel to one of Sega's most beloved games. Fly through various dreamlike levels by twisting the wiimote and fight unusually designed bosses. With Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sega showed us that they are on the way back up with the help of the wii. NiGHTS is set to be Sega's first truly great game since the Dreamcast was cancelled.

Nights

3. Disaster: Day of Crisis

Although little information has been released about Disaster, it involves the player combating various natural disasters such as hurricanes and volcanoes, as well as terrorists. A mature game from Nintendo? Gasp! Anyway Disaster is looking great.

Disaster

4. Super Mario Galaxy

Even the most ardent anti-sheep knows this game, so there is little to say, but... everyone wants to BEE Mario!!

SMG

5. Project HAMMER

Rumours are circulating that this game has been quietly cancelled, but if it has not it looks like a very entertaining futuristic beat-em-up with destructible environments.

project hammer

6. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Another big hitter which I don't need to explain. One thing though: If one more person tells me that stacking beams and transforming into a super form is 'casual', I won't be responsible for my actions.

MP3C

7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Yet again, what can I say? This world...

SSBB

8. Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn

Even the stupidest fanboy would have a hard time believing that this game is aimed at non-gamers. Complex and challenging turn-based strategy RPG, with a history of over 8 fantastic games in the franchise. I'd really like to stress that this is one of the most un-casual games ever made.

FE

9. Battalion Wars II

An action-strategy game, whose predecessor on the gamecube was said to have a lot of potential by reviewers. Many criticised the lack of co-op, which has been rectified in BWii. Also, that abbreviation is just so cute! :oops:

bwii

10. Dewy's Adventure

From the developers of Elebits, which is a very fun game no matter what you say, comes an innovative and enjoyable little platformer, in which you can change your character from a liquid to a solid to a gas at will. Contrary to popular belief, Dewy's is not kiddy, it's for everyone.

DEWEYS!!

11.Zack and Wiki

Another fairly well-known one, Zack and Wiki is a puzzle-adventure game from Capcom, which combines the wiimote with the kind of old-school point-and-click gameplay which is far too rare nowadays. Is this the new Day of the Tentacle? Maybe not, but it still looks great.

zak n wiki

12. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2: The Crystal Bearers

Sequel to the successful Gamecube title, this one moves away from multiplayer towards a more zelda-like experience. Fast-paced combat involving magic and acrobatics, and for possibly the first time, you can actually control one of Final Fantasy's ubiquitous airships.

FFCC2

13. Soul Calibur Legends

Soul Calibur is widely considered to be the greatest fighting franchise of all time and is the only such franchise to ever earn a perfect 10 on Gamespot. For this instalment it has changed from a 1vs1 fighter to a level-based beat-em-up, but all the best characters are still there, as are the complex combat systems.

scl

14.Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire

This is it! The beginning of the second wave of third-party support! Now, nobody is going to nominate this for GOTY but it looks like a very enjoyable action adventure, with some really awesome super moves - all controlled directly by the wiimote, of course.

dbwr

15. de Blob

Jump! Paint! Score points! Do combo! If you've ever been addicted to the stage-and-score-based gameplay of Katamari Damacy, you'll like this innovative action game, originally from an indie developer. I mean you play as a blob of paint, what could go wrong?

de blob

16. Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk

No screens, only magazine scans which of course I can't post. Not much info but hell it's ToS people, this is one of the wii's best exclusives in the far future.

17. Mario Kart Wii

Uh, well, it's Mario Kart. What the hell more do you want?

mk

18. Ghost Squad

Originally an arcade machine, this Time Crisis-like game comes to wii with new motion-sensing gameplay such as realistic knife fighting. Critics are positive, and we all know how great the wii is for lightgun games.

ghost suad

19. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

An action/RPG, part of the hit Dragon Quest franchise. Swing the wiimote like a sword or use it to control a shield. No more just blocking, now you have to move your shield right where the enemy is going to attack. People may complain that the levels follow a linear path, but the overall game is still as open as an RPG should be.

dqs

20. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Another lightgun shooter, this one covers the whole Resident Evil storyline. Added to the list by (somewhat) popular demand.

resi

If you are 'real gamers' as you so often claim, then there is no way you can argue that this is not an excellent lineup of games. Really, it's not like Reggie is going to break into your house, tie you up and force you to play WiiFit.

EDIT: added 3 more games.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Looks like a good list to me.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Good list for Wii fans; but only three games in that list intrigue me: and you all probably know which three they are.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
I keep seeing this list from sheep. Are yall trying to convince us that yall have games worth playing?
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts
*IN B4 the "list is crap"- posts*
tree-branch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 tree-branch
Member since 2007 • 3262 Posts

That list just isnt good.

most of them look like kids game.

nintendo is ruining gaming.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Wake me up when Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2: The Crystal Bearers comes out and SMG come out.. There the only worth while games on that list. Oh yeah Soul Calibur Legends is a definate FLOP you can knock that one off the list.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chutup

Good list for Wii fans; but only three games in that list intrigue me: and you all probably know which three they are. TrueReligion_

OK, one of them has to be Dragon Blade so...

no but seriously this is just the kind of reaction I was hoping to get. I don't mind people who say those games don't interest them, but if they argue that those games are bad or casual then they are just plain wrong.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts

Another big hitter which I don't need to explain. One thing though: If one more person tells me that stacking beams and transforming into a super form is 'casual', I won't be responsible for my actions.chutup

No, but a first person shooter not having any form of online play, and as far as i know, no offline multiplayer either, that sounds, not casual, but extremely boring and lame to me.

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Finally a decent argument in favor of the Wii (as in something more than, "We've got Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash Bros. sounds fine to me") although thats still not enough to justify a purchase to me.

Also I stand by the assertion that Nintendo has shifted focus away from traditional gamers and are in effect ruining things.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chutup

tree-branch

OMFG this is exactly what I'm talking about!! You just spout that same line over and over again like a broken ipod!!

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
Lol I only care about like 2-3 of the games off that list. 90% of those games look horrible too
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

tree-branch

You're ruining intellegence.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chutup
[quote="chutup"]

Another big hitter which I don't need to explain. One thing though: If one more person tells me that stacking beams and transforming into a super form is 'casual', I won't be responsible for my actions.0rin

No, but a first person shooter not having any form of online play, and as far as i know, no offline multiplayer either, that sounds, not casual, but extremely boring and lame to me.

You could say that but Metroid is not really a shooter, it's an action/adventure with some shooting elements. Although MP3 is more of a shooter since it has less lock-on functions than the last two.

Svarthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Svarthek
Member since 2005 • 1431 Posts
[QUOTE="tree-branch"]

Optusnet

You're ruining intellegence.

It's tree-branch that's his job.
BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrooklynBomber
Member since 2007 • 1507 Posts
Oh the jaggies take those pics away they burn my eyes sdtv NOOOOOOOO!!!
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts
Not interested in any of those games.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts
I love my Wii, but unlike lemmings ad cows I refuse to judge a game based on screenshots. I am interested in most of those games, but I want to see how they turn out before I get excited.
mohammad112388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mohammad112388
Member since 2006 • 609 Posts

The list is good....but unfortunatly consoles are not the games that are coming to be. They are the now, and the wii just is not cutting it now. PS The PS3 library to be beats the crap out of that list, and so does the 360. But thats actually a good list, and a reminder to us of good stuff coming to Wii.:D

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16019 Posts

Good first post for the most part. I have a few disagreements though:

1. Soul Calibur Legends is something you should not be bragging about. Joystiq had a preview of it and said it was horrible

2. We know almost nothing about Disaster: Day of crisis

3. You'd be hard pressed to find a more casual racer than Mario Kart. Did you hear Reggies comment on it at E3? it went something like this: "New players will be bumper to bumper with experienced players". That means that it takes very little skill to play.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
Which one of those was rumoured to be simplified for casuals again? I think it was "No More Heroes," but I could be wrong.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
Disaster and Project Hammer have been canceled. But most of the games listed are must haves for me.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TrueReligion_

Which one of those was rumoured to be simplified for casuals again? I think it was "No More Heroes," but I could be wrong. Vyse_The_Daring

I hope not. NMH seems like the only game that would make me buy a Wii--besides, I don't think Suda51 would casualize it. I certainly hope you're thinking of a different game.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

tree-branch

You aren't a kid? :?

Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vyse_The_Daring

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]Which one of those was rumoured to be simplified for casuals again? I think it was "No More Heroes," but I could be wrong. TrueReligion_

I hope not. NMH seems like the only game that would make me buy a Wii--besides, I don't think Suda51 would casualize it. I certainly hope you're thinking of a different game.

It was a hyped game here that wasn't a well-known franchise. It was definitely one of NMH, Disaster, or Project Hammer. But then again it could've just been a rumour.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Disaster and Project Hammer have been canceled. But most of the games listed are must haves for me.Episode_Eve
Disaster is still being made. But the developpement of Hammer have been stopped for the moment to start an other project. It still could be continued later on.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TrueReligion_

It was a hyped game here that wasn't a well-known franchise. It was definitely one of NMH, Disaster, or Project Hammer. But then again it could've just been a rumour.

Vyse_The_Daring

Well, Disaster and Project Hammer have, supposedly, been cancelled. Yeah, I think it's just a rumor.

I just did a quick search, and I don't think it will be casualized.

ganon42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ganon42
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts
wii owners will probably stare more at the sales then play these games
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chutup

Good first post for the most part. I have a few disagreements though:

1. Soul Calibur Legends is something you should not be bragging about. Joystiq had a preview of it and said it was horrible

2. We know almost nothing about Disaster: Day of crisis

3. You'd be hard pressed to find a more casual racer than Mario Kart. Did you hear Reggies comment on it at E3? it went something like this: "New players will be bumper to bumper with experienced players". That means that it takes very little skill to play.

dracula_16

OK one bad preview, that's not enough to condemn the whole game when it's coming from such a respected franchise. As for Mario Kart people often use that quote but IMO Reggie was just talking crap then to get casuals interested. Nintendo isn't stupid. They know that a game which requires so little skill to play would not be fun for anyone, even casuals. Probably there will be a good handicap system but thats about it.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

wii owners will probably stare more at the sales then play these games ganon42

Are you gonna go into every thread and say that? (It's not even funny).

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chutup

Which one of those was rumoured to be simplified for casuals again? I think it was "No More Heroes," but I could be wrong. Vyse_The_Daring

No More Heroes will be casualized the same day Halo comes out on PS3.

ganon42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ganon42
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts

[QUOTE="ganon42"]wii owners will probably stare more at the sales then play these games Eponique

Are you gonna go into every thread and say that? (It's not even funny).

yupperz, sheep cant compare there lineup with there competitors(nvm newgen, my bad).

Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vyse_The_Daring

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]Which one of those was rumoured to be simplified for casuals again? I think it was "No More Heroes," but I could be wrong. chutup

I said I might've been thinking of a different game. I don't know too much about it anyway, and I'm not sure that much has been shown or a Ninty fan would've posted it here.

MronoC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 MronoC
Member since 2005 • 4113 Posts
[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]

TrueReligion_

Well, Disaster and Project Hammer have, supposedly, been cancelled. Yeah, I think it's just a rumor.

I just did a quick search, and I don't think it will be casualized.

Well, Disaster's still in developement, but Hammer is "postponed indefinitely" which could mean cancelled, or it could just mean "postponed indefinitely", but really, every wii hater is claiming "casualization" of every franchise from Zelda to Smash Bros.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chutup
[QUOTE="chutup"]

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]Which one of those was rumoured to be simplified for casuals again? I think it was "No More Heroes," but I could be wrong. Vyse_The_Daring

I said I might've been thinking of a different game. I don't know too much about it anyway, and I'm not sure that much has been shown or a Ninty fan would've posted it here.

I didn't mean to sound offensive. I was just emphasizing how un-casual NMH is.

Avatar image for mushroomscout89
mushroomscout89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mushroomscout89
Member since 2004 • 6434 Posts

tree-branch

...and I love it!

Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vyse_The_Daring
[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"][QUOTE="chutup"]

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]Which one of those was rumoured to be simplified for casuals again? I think it was "No More Heroes," but I could be wrong. chutup

I didn't mean to sound offensive. I was just emphasizing how un-casual NMH is.

No don't worry it didn't sound offensive. I'm just saying I was actually looking for an answer in my original post as to which game was actually rumoured to be casualized. :P

But I don't think I can stay awake long enough to find the answer.

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

Nights (i want to see just because i had it for the SEGA SATURN)

Disaster Day of Crisis: most interesting game to strike a wii, ever.

Project Hammer: Meh, best looking first party.

Only ones i want to play. Justify a console purchase to you? No? thought not :)

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

As for Mario Kart people often use that quote but IMO Reggie was just talking crap then to get casuals interested. Nintendo isn't stupid. They know that a game which requires so little skill to play would not be fun for anyone, even casuals. Probably there will be a good handicap system but thats about it.

chutup

I don't think thats the case at all..I think they are definitely going to take away some of the depth, because if you consider for a moment that even the first Mario Kart has a handicap system of sorts in Battle Mode...why else would he bother bringing it up?

TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 TheJustin
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts
What are fake games?
Son_of_Some

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Son_of_Some
Member since 2006 • 1458 Posts
[quote="chutup"]

Another big hitter which I don't need to explain. One thing though: If one more person tells me that stacking beams and transforming into a super form is 'casual', I won't be responsible for my actions.0rin

sorry, but it's not a shooter. Fail?

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Overthrow
Member since 2004 • 7025 Posts
[quote="chutup"]

I would suggest playing the game before making such asinine statements. It's not even a first person shooter.

Anyway, the peanut gallery has spoken. "LOL those games suck" "LOL PS3/360 has a better lineup" "LOL kiddy" "LOL teh graphics!"

Fanboys refuse to acknowledge quality content on the Wii even if you shove it in their faces. At least it's a nice list to look at.

GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GanonBuRAP
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts
That's not a bad list at all; problem is that Nintendo either barely mentioned or didn't mention those games at all at the Electronic Entertainment Expo; which was Nintendo's time to shine. What did they focus on? Stupid stats and WiiFit. While 360 and PS3 had trailers and demos of some AMAZING games like Assassin's Creed. It's clear where Nintendo's direction with gaming is going; and I dont like it.
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gaming4_Life
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts
Some will be very good games, but aren't we beating a dead horse? You Wii defenders are just as bad as the Wii haters...get lost.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

*IN B4 the "list is crap"- posts*magiciandude

sorry but youre late read the post above you,but hay maybe next kiddo:P

back on topic well some of these games look alright but Im afraid the Wii just isnt for me

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

SMG, SSBB and No More Heroes are must buys when I get my Wii, but I'm also fairly interested in Mario Kart Wii.

Why on earth has Nintendo not announced Pikmin and Animal Crossing for Wii? Both could be great for Wii.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts
Add Endless Ocean (Forever Blue) onto that list andRE:UC.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chutup

Add Endless Ocean (Forever Blue) onto that list andRE:UC.Nintendo_Man

I kept Endless Ocean off because it is fairly casual, and RE:UC because, well, I don't like the look of it.

kman3002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kman3002
Member since 2006 • 1440 Posts

tree-branch

:o Tree-branch returns! Man I thought you were dead.Oh well better cancel that celebration party.

Nice try TC but somethings i've learned from my time atsystem wars are

The Wiiwill always be "teh kidday" system

The PS3 will always be "only a blu-ray player with no games" :roll:

and the 360 will always be "filled with mediocre shooters".

None of these are true but trying to convince fanboys otherwise is impossible.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Man"]Add Endless Ocean (Forever Blue) onto that list andRE:UC.chutup

I kept Endless Ocean off because it is fairly casual, and RE:UC because, well, I don't like the look of it.

Endless Ocean does not seem like a casual game to me, i don't think many casuals will buy it mainly because i don't think many will here about it.