How come only Sony interested in cinematic experiences?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
@thegreatgeneral said:

Gears is a dudebro shit series, Halo a sci-fi game for babies

Meanwhile, God of War and Uncharted are, of course, masterpieces of narrative and storytelling.

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

@lostrib: Something wrong?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@thegreatgeneral said:

Gears is a dudebro shit series, Halo a sci-fi game for babies

Meanwhile, God of War and Uncharted are, of course, masterpieces of narrative and storytelling.

@thegreatgeneral said:

@lostrib: Something wrong?

char pretty much has it covered

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheGreatGeneral

@charizard1605: Uncharted is, while God of War is not. Even then GOW is on a higher level than most MS and all Nintendo games.

Since you are a sheep, I dont expect you to understand.

@lostrib So you have no arguments yourself. Good, then I can ignore you and your one liners.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#55 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@robert_mueller said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

There is nothing wrong with cutscenes as long as there are solid gameplay mechanics but to target wider audience, even gameplay is made to feel like a movie these days (QTEs, linear level design, no challenge, scripted events, 5-8 hours of roller coaster ride etc).

If you do not like linear level design, that's your personal problem. After all, many classic game genres have been completely linear (e.g. all side-scrolling games). While you are free to dislike such games, they are still clearly *games*.

Same for scripted events: Click-and-point adventures are actually nothing else than a bunch of scripted events that have to be activated by players in a certain sequence, and the goal of the game is only to find out the correct sequence. Still, they are clearly *games*.

With respect to challenges, it mainly depends on my mood whether I like to be challenged or not. There *are* situations where I have no demand for frustrations and rather enjoy games that are frustration free. Of course, being frustration free usually implies that a game is not a real challenge. But that's not a problem as long as there are other games that *are* challenging.

I don't hate linear games. I am talking about execution and no variety.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@thegreatgeneral said:

@charizard1605: Uncharted is, while God of War is not. Even then GOW is on a higher level than most MS and all Nintendo games.

Since you are sheep, I dont expect you to understand.

Man, you need to get out there and actually read books. Or watch movies. Or TV.

Or, you know, anything that raises your standards, really.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Everyone else is interested in substance.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lostrib
@thegreatgeneral said:

Since you are a sheep, I dont expect you to understand.

@lostrib So you have no arguments yourself. Good, then I can ignore you and your one liners.

you haven't presented any arguments yourself, just demeaned other gamers and their game series'

you've given no reason why you're holding up one (derivative) narrative while putting down another

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lostrib

@TheGuardian03 said:

If i hear the word cinematic one more time..

i can do one worse

"cinematic walking"

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TheGreatGeneral
@charizard1605 said:

I only discussed the cinematic quality of those series in the gaming landscape. You know we are on a gaming forum, right?

Even then cinematic means not only narrative and storytelling but how the content and actions of the games are presented.

In GOW you fight Gods, Titans and other mystic beings which no other game has presented in the same vein. No other game has outclassed GOW in that sense.

Edit: Show me some other games that can challenge this boss fight in terms of cinematic quality.

Loading Video...

Edit 2: Or this one

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@thegreatgeneral said:
@charizard1605 said:

I only discussed the cinematic quality of those series in the gaming landscape. You know we are on a gaming forum, right?

Even then cinematic means not only narrative and storytelling but how the content and actions of the games are presented.

In GOW you fight Gods, Titans and other mystic beings which no other game has presented in the same vein. No other game has outclassed GOW in that sense.

You made no qualifiers or limiting statements. You implied some form of talent is needed to tell a story like Uncharted (which is derivative in the highest degree, taking cues from better stories told in other media), or God of War (which is a nonsensical story riddled with plot holes), which, in turn, implies that there is actually something about these stories that is hard to achieve. The onus here is on you, you could have worded your original statement better.

No, cinematic has one connotation only, and the hint is in the name: a story told like cinema i.e. a movie. The only actual talent involved in making a game 'cinematic' is to make it look and sound like one- technical prowess, nothing to do with storytelling. And while I am fully willing to concede Sony's developers have more technical prowess than Microsoft's or Nintendo's, Microsoft and Sony also have enough of it to create '10 hour+ cinematic games.' Of course, none of this talent has to do with storytelling, which is what your original post was driving towards in the first place.

Finally, without even getting into the lolworthiness of your last comment, let me just prove you wrong with an alternate example:

Age of Mythology. Ensemble and Microsoft. 2001.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Its because Sony fans can't handle gameplay. So Sony compensates by tossing in some QTEs to make them feel like they're playing and doing stuff when all they are doing is watching a movie with some button prompts.

I actually agree with this a bit. My problem with games made today is that you are supposed to beat them. I remember when "beating a game" meant something. There is no challenge in games anymore. People like to talk trash about Nintendo titles for being kiddy when Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World or even Captain Toad offer more challenge. The Uncharted series offers the least amount of challenge I have seen in some time. The platforming looks great but all the player is doing is holding the analog stick in a direction and hitting X. The "hidden" treasures glow for crying out loud.

I don't want the games I play to be more cinematic. I want them to be challenging and fun. I think that is the reason I have stuck with Destiny as long as I have flaws and all. The game doesn't just hand you all the great gear and weapons, the player has to work for them.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@thegreatgeneral I think Bayonetta games would be one example.

Anyway, I hate that Sony is doing all this cinematic crap. I just want some of the fun games they had before like Crash Bandicoot, the first Jak and Daxter, and the first Sly cooper games. I also feel that Sony is so far behind on the gameplay front as they have no major multiplayer game that gets people flocking to the console.

MS has Halo, and Nintendo has Smash, Mario kart and Pokemon. I like games that focus on good game play, multiplayer, and tons of content to keep me coming back for more. Sony in terms of first party have games that are like movies where you just beat it once and never touch again. Now I got to the point where I just wait a month for a Sony first party game and I will most likely find it for $40 somewhere because all the used copies on the market deflates the new game prices so fast. This is the very reason why I'm not buying Sony's first party games day one.

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheGreatGeneral
@charizard1605 said:

You made no qualifiers or limiting statements. You implied some form of talent is needed to tell a story like Uncharted (which is derivative in the highest degree, taking cues from better stories told in other media), or God of War (which is a nonsensical story riddled with plot holes), which, in turn, implies that there is actually something about these stories that is hard to achieve. The onus here is on you, you could have worded your original statement better.

Story? You were the one to limit "cinematic" tonarrative and storytelling which I never did.

No, cinematic has one connotation only, and the hint is in the name: a story told like cinema i.e. a movie. The only actual talent involved in making a game 'cinematic' is to make it look and sound like one- technical prowess, nothing to do with storytelling. And while I am fully willing to concede Sony's developers have more technical prowess than Microsoft's or Nintendo's, Microsoft and Sony also have enough of it to create '10 hour+ cinematic games.' Of course, none of this talent has to do with storytelling, which is what your original post was driving towards in the first place.

I did not specify why I judged those games like I did, so you filled the rest with your own imagination and make an argument based on your own interpretation. I was referencing to Gears as a dudebro shit series because of the characters, world and yes to a part story too. Halo as a sci-fi game for babies because again for the shallow characters and sci-fi world bungie build. And just like you said lack of technical and artistic prowess to put the players in scenarios that helps them to appriciate those universes.

Finally, without even getting into the lolworthiness of your last comment, let me just prove you wrong with an alternate example:

Age of Mythology. Ensemble and Microsoft. 2001.

Lol, are you joking? If that is your example of cinematic quality then command and conquer westwood 1995 is just as cinematic. I guess I was right in my assumption not to expect much of a sheep.

@Ghost120x Asuras wrath is a better example and the only one which comes close to GOW imo.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#66 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Given their emphasis on indie developers and funding games like No Man's Sky, I think that's a major exaggeration to say they only focus on cinematic experiences.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@thegreatgeneral: Incorrect. Your original post specifically calls out games for having either no narrative or poor narrative. Again, the implication was there, either you are trying to shift the argument now, or you worded it incorrectly in the first place, that is on you, not anybody else.

And while Sony's developers might be great at rendering game worlds, they sort of suck at actually coming up with compelling worlds in the first place, the only exception to this is The Last of Us (apparently). Presenting an at best mediocre story in a bombastic way does not require talent, and does not exactly deserve praise, otherwise Michael Bay would be the best filmmaker on the market.

Finally, don't act smart, I responded to your post before your edit. You just raised the premise of gods and titans, and I told you about an alternate game that did it. If you mean spectacle like that, in terms of storytelling spectacle, you are preaching to the choir, I already said Sony games do this the best. Unfortunately for you and for Sony, there is actually more to a game than just the story or storytelling- spectacle doesn't have to be just 'cinematic,' it could be interactive too. In which case, something like Bayonetta far outclasses God of War.

You also seem to be incapable of actually having a discussion without constantly insulting the other person, incidentally. That tells me you are either 12 or a zealot, in both cases, a discussion with you is absolutely meaningless. Incidentally, I have owned every single Sony machine, and my favorite console for the last two generations has been PlayStation, my favorite game of all time is a PlayStation exclusive, and God of War II and Uncharted 2 are both among my favorite games of all time. In other words, I have the ability to step back from my biases and assess things objectively, an ability you sorely seem to lack- again, it might be because you are 12 (in which case you can't help it), or a zealot (in which case, you choose to not help it). So again, unless you can actually respond to this post in a rational and level headed manner, don't bother responding at all.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lostrib

@charizard1605 said:

@thegreatgeneral: Incorrect. Your original post specifically calls out games for having either no narrative or poor narrative. Again, the implication was there, either you are trying to shift the argument now, or you worded it incorrectly in the first place, that is on you, not anybody else.

And while Sony's developers might be great at rendering game worlds, they sort of suck at actually coming up with compelling worlds in the first place, the only exception to this is The Last of Us (apparently). Presenting an at best mediocre story in a bombastic way does not require talent, and does not exactly deserve praise, otherwise Michael Bay would be the best filmmaker on the market.

Finally, don't act smart, I responded to your post before your edit. You just raised the premise of gods and titans, and I told you about an alternate game that did it. If you mean spectacle like that, in terms of storytelling spectacle, you are preaching to the choir, I already said Sony games do this the best. Unfortunately for you and for Sony, there is actually more to a game than just the story or storytelling- spectacle doesn't have to be just 'cinematic,' it could be interactive too. In which case, something like Bayonetta far outclasses God of War.

You also seem to be incapable of actually having a discussion without constantly insulting the other person, incidentally. That tells me you are either 12 or a zealot, in both cases, a discussion with you is absolutely meaningless. Incidentally, I have owned every single Sony machine, and my favorite console for the last two generations has been PlayStation, my favorite game of all time is a PlayStation exclusive, and God of War II and Uncharted 2 are both among my favorite games of all time. In other words, I have the ability to step back from my biases and assess things objectively, an ability you sorely seem to lack- again, it might be because you are 12 (in which case you can't help it), or a zealot (in which case, you choose to not help it). So again, unless you can actually respond to this post in a rational and level headed manner, don't bother responding at all.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lostrib

@Wasdie said:

Given their emphasis on indie developers and funding games like No Man's Sky, I think that's a major exaggeration to say they only focus on cinematic experiences.

I think you misread the topic

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheGreatGeneral
@charizard1605 said:

That was just referencing to nintendo with that statement. Here is what I said:

"Gears is a dudebro shit series, Halo a sci-fi game for babies and so on."

"While nintendo has no narrative at all other than xenoblade and even that is only average."

MS has narrative driven games like Gears but they are just shit in that sense.

Story in The Last of Us is not out of the norm but the storytelling makes it special. The characters are fleshed out and drive the story in this fictional world perfectly. I disagree that The Last of Us has a bombastic presentation like Uncharted or GOW has. So I dont know how you make the connection to Michael Bay. You seems to try to discret the game with anything you can grasps, no matter how nonsensical.

My argument was standing before I edited anything. My edits were just examples for what I meant. So you are the one who should not act smart. Here is what I wrote: "In GOW you fight Gods, Titans and other mystic beings which no other game has presented in the same vein. No other game has outclassed GOW in that sense." and you give me an rts as an counter example, get fucking real.

You also seem to be incapable of actually having a discussion without constantly insulting the other person, incidentally. That tells me you are either 12 or a zealot, in both cases, a discussion with you is absolutely meaningless. Incidentally, I have owned every single Sony machine, and my favorite console for the last two generations has been PlayStation, my favorite game of all time is a PlayStation exclusive, and God of War II and Uncharted 2 are both among my favorite games of all time. In other words, I have the ability to step back from my biases and assess things objectively, an ability you sorely seem to lack- again, it might be because you are 12 (in which case you can't help it), or a zealot (in which case, you choose to not help it).

What has to do with anything? I have a black friend so Im not racist, argument? Funny how you are the one calling names. I really should not have expected anything discussing cinematic games with a sheep that gets wet just seeing a new mario rehash.

So again, unless you can actually respond to this post in a rational and level headed manner, don't bother responding at all.

You were the one responding to me with your butthurt response while not even disagreeing with my original statement. You do know what you were doing right? Deflecting.

edit: All in all that was a really poor showing for you charizard. You make wrong assumptions, restrict the word cinematic, try to compare video games with 100+ years of movie and literature hystory, were wrong on 2 points about my edits while trying to call me out and give me shitty examples. But all is well as long there are idiots like lostrib cheerleading from the sidelines.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

The PlayStation might have more story driven/cinematic experiences than Xbox, or at least it seems that way, but Sony is definitely not the only one. Mass Effect was heavily story driven and that was from EA/Bioware.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Rockstar, Ubisoft, etc, plenty of developers are cinematic.

Frankly that's too many developers trying to be cinematic. All jokes aside yes there are exceptions to the standard "video game stories suck", but for the most part they do suck. And it's a completely incorrect placement of values when it comes to designing these games. Way too often developers are cool with the simplistic and least satisfying gameplay ideas, just because they put all their hopes on creating a story. I also think that cinematic is the worst way to tell a story in an interactive medium. Why emulate a different medium, that's going to do that shit way better, because this just in film makers, better at cinematic language than game developers, when you could be reinventing what it means to tell a story in a game.

That doesn't mean I want every game like Gone Home/Journey for instance, but Journey is a piece of "art" if you will only this medium can provide. The things that Silent Hill 2 does, that Metroid Prime did, and the things Shadow of the Colossus and the two Souls games (demon's and dark, **** dark souls 2) are things only this medium can provide. Player driven stories like what XCom does (it's dumbness aside) is more of an argument for this medium's story telling chops than cutscenes. just saying.

That's not to say I am incapable of enjoying cinematic games. I quite like Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, and it's not like Metal Gear or Bayonetta tone it down on the cutscenes, but I want a better balance between gamings equivalent of summer block busters and oscar bait (cinematic games) and games driven primarily by their interactivity (Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, Metroid Prime).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Man, I asked you to do one little thing, and you couldn't even do that. I suspect you may be constitutionally incapable of actually not insulting people. Sad.

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheGreatGeneral

@charizard1605: You are the one that got personal and still is. I was just questioning (proved right) your bias and views on the quality of cinematic games because you are a sheep.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 lostrib

@thegreatgeneral: you have yet to prove anything

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By TheGreatGeneral
@lostrib said:

@thegreatgeneral: you have yet to prove anything

I dont have to prove anything. Yet you do have to do an argument if you want to have a discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lostrib

@thegreatgeneral: why? You didn't bring an argument

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#78 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@RR360DD said:

Its about balance. Naughty Dog gets it right, nothing they've created comes close to how annoying Max Payne 3 was with its cutscenes every 30 seconds.

From what i've seen, The Corridor looks to be just as annoying but who knows, maybe they've just demoed the game terribly so far.

Totally agree. Rockstar dropped the ball with Max Payne 3; Mediocre Story with no depth of first two games, boring characters, annoying cutscenes, terrible checkpoints, overuse of flashy/red/green/blue effect etc.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Just bc the stories in not only Sony games, but whatever, aren't going to win Any Oscars doesn't mean they still aren't entertaining.

Cinematic doesn't necessarily mean stellar Oscar winning stuff.

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Robert_Mueller
Member since 2015 • 164 Posts
@GoldenElementXL said:

I actually agree with this a bit. My problem with games made today is that you are supposed to beat them. I remember when "beating a game" meant something. There is no challenge in games anymore.

Then you are simply playing the wrong games. With the new generation, it is too early to tell, but in the last generation, there have been enough really challenging games. Only to mention a few:

Killzone 2 + 3, Dark Souls/Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden Sigma

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

All the cinematic games I've seen are worse than mediocre films I watch. Game as a medium is defined by interactivity; cinematic games stand out by being something that they are not. Moreover, cinematic quality does not equal art, in fact, a lot of art house cinema deviate from the "cinematic" tendencies of the games you describe.

But **** this, your intellectual capacity probably can't understand anyway.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

because when you remove some scene to render by adding black bars and choosing 30 fps, you can have lots more detail than with full 1080p scene at 60 fps. the former's screenshots will look better than the latter. so its more easily marketable.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

@funsohng: you and lostrib should have a baby

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lostrib

@SolidGame_basic said:

@funsohng: you and lostrib should have a baby

why is that?

It would be a bit problematic

TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TheGreatGeneral

@lostrib: My argument is in my first post, try reading it again if you have so many problems with your reading comprehension. Take your time...

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Kinda noticed it too: GoW 3, KZ, UC 2-3 then TLoU. Not sure if GT is still popular.

Sony and their 1st party devs probably found their "niche".

Could it also be from Sony Pictures/Movie Publishing slightly influencing these game development? More involved in narrative and visual presentation? IDK.

I strictly had more "fun" playing Gears 1 (only Gear's I've tried) and Halo ODST (and with co-op!) but the Sony games I've mentioned were more on presentation. I still find those supposed movie-games a preferred experience over the more fun to play Gears/Halo but my preference could change later on.

Found Gears art weird (vs GoWar) and barely anything standing out on the Halo series (vs. Killzone 2 and up). Hmm.. Halo 4 does look like it has decent image quality for the 360 but it reminds me of ME with the art and shading of areas.

Really like how XB1 will now have QB w/c reminds me of UC but with heavier sci-fi. The warping effect is so awesome!

I'm gonna be so in with treats this gen.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Because Sony understands that what has traditionally defined gaming can, and should be, challenged in order for it to break free of this myopic insistence on it remaining "interactive" at all costs.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Its because Sony fans can't handle gameplay. So Sony compensates by tossing in some QTEs to make them feel like they're playing and doing stuff when all they are doing is watching a movie with some button prompts.

That is funny because Uncharted has deeper gameplay and more mechanics than Gears get is some how more cinematic,there is nothing wrong with making a cinematic experience is not like you are just watching a movie those are highly exaggerated claim mostly done by fanboys like your self.

The one game i can really pass is beyond 2 souls like game now those games are really like movies,but Uncharted,TLOU no those games had deep gameplay and more mechanics than many games on that same lining like Gears,which also has a sort of cinematic feel but not even close to be as good in story.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, and now The Order. All place emphasis on having a cinematic experience, and this has been a successful formula for Sony. I have no doubt The Order will sell well. How come MS and Nintendo don't try anything like that? Most of their games put story to a minimal. Is it because Sony users tend to appreciate art more? I ask you SW since you know all the answers.

The Order is no more cinematic than Gears of War. Uncharted is no more cinematic than Tomb Raider. If a game is considered cinematic simply because there are a lot of cut scenes well that is just ignorant.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I love the cinematic games that come to Sony's system, cant really call them first party can I as Sony doesn't actually create games but has 2nd party studios do it for them. I only dislike the games when they bring nothing new to the series, like Uncharted 3. I loved the stories in Heavy Rain and also Beyond:Two Souls. As long as I get to make important choices, explore the world and the story is good, then I will enjoy the game.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#92 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I appreciate the art of video games, but that almost never includes cinematic focused games. A good story is better represented in non-interactive mediums such as books or film. Video games are the art of gameplay and level design more than anything else IMHO. The art of interactivity.