How come only Sony interested in cinematic experiences?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

Games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, and now The Order. All place emphasis on having a cinematic experience, and this has been a successful formula for Sony. I have no doubt The Order will sell well. How come MS and Nintendo don't try anything like that? Most of their games put story to a minimal. Is it because Sony users tend to appreciate art more? I ask you SW since you know all the answers.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Is it because Sony users tend to appreciate art more?

What the hell are you talking about?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Its because Sony fans can't handle gameplay. So Sony compensates by tossing in some QTEs to make them feel like they're playing and doing stuff when all they are doing is watching a movie with some button prompts.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts

Crap Multiplayer Network :)

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Yeah, just them.

And EA.

And Ubisoft.

And Activision.

And Microsoft.

Good job.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#9 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'm guessing priorities. Naughty Dog saw success with Uncharted. The Last of Us was an evolution of that game. And this is Ready at Dawn's first big gam, and maybe they had help in the direction or they just knew how they wanted to take it.

Microsoft has also been pursuing this direction; they've bought timed-exclusive rights to the new Tomb Raider, Halo has told a decent story, and there's the new game from the Alan Wake developers coming. Definitely not a minimal of storytelling for those games. Nintendo just has a different focus. And there are plenty of third-party developers that are focusing on cinematic experiences.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

they have made many kinds of games but the cinematic ones just happen to be the most successful. And when you think about it the Playstation history has been built on cinematic or story driven games like MGS and FF too.

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

It's because Sony wants the gamer to be immersed into the experience with a great story while you are playing. Games like God of War and Uncharted are amazing games because you actually feel like there is a reason why your seeking revenge or hunting treasure. Nintendo's stories are always the same but Nintendo makes really fun games to play. If you buy a Nintendo game you know what your getting. Most Xbox games either have a story nobody cares about or have lackluster gameplay.

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Robert_Mueller
Member since 2015 • 164 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

Its because Sony fans can't handle gameplay. So Sony compensates by tossing in some QTEs to make them feel like they're playing and doing stuff when all they are doing is watching a movie with some button prompts.

Even if that was the case, I still wouldn't care at all. For me, video games are just about entertainment, and I definitely feel entertained while playing games like Uncharted. I even enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, although those are really nothing else than a sequence of QTEs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

As fara as I know Sony don't ONLY make cinematic games, heck they also make quite a few fairly large PC games for those bothering to look.

Anyways What I think TC Means is thier heavy marketing for the cinematic games?

Well from a buisness standpoint those games can make alot of sense. And certainly from a publicity standpoint.

-Cinematic games tend to be hugely linier, and often rather simple in layout (both due to Money, and power required). Meaning that they while not mindlessly simple, they are easy to learn how to play, they are relatively directed (part of teh downside by being cinematic). leaving the game only really worth playing through once (for most people) and allows for a demonstration of the machines hardware prowess.

Finincially it is better for them, NOT to make something which too much of a longevity appeal, cs CS and Halo for references on that. Basicly if you make something that has too much staying power, it WILL limit future game purchaches (however, atleast a months worth of content is needed in general) so financially it is not a dumb thing to do, and it extends way beyond Sony.

publicity wise, as stated, it leads people to believe that the console or system in question is able to output such graphic Fidelity (which it is). Atleast this way is also WAY better tehn the oft used bullshots, that people (especially around here) pretend does not exist.

What I fail at grasping though is how this is Unique to Sony? THey might market said games more? but in my mind it is not Sony marketing them, but rather Cows, in desperate attempts to claim owenage at anything they can? (and often fail glorisously).

So to me Sony is not doing anything ifferently then most other gaming corps? They are just unlucky enough to have other people hype up games too much. :\

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin: lol I realized I worded that incorrectly and fixed it

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

SONY cares about the whole gaming process and as this gen shows, the philosophy of the by gamers for gamers is paying off.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Thank Jaysus it's ONLY THEM.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Oh boy what have you done? You just called the internet trolls. I can already ar they coming with their factually false claims that Sony games don't have "gameplay"...

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Robert_Mueller
@Vatusus said:

Oh boy what have you done? You just called the internet trolls. I can already ar they coming with their factually false claims that Sony games don't have "gameplay"...

Even if that was true: Who cares as long as lots of people enjoy them? Some folks tend to take games way too serious. Games are supposed to be entertaining ... nothing more and nothing less.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I swear to fucking god, they are called games not experiences. Please don't use Marketing Speak.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sony prefers a cinematic experience.

Xbox prefers a game experience.

Nothing new here but the lines will be crossed. Look at Quantum Break. They will be doing something new by unlocking cinematic episodes at the end of each level that you can watch later or before you start the next level. Brilliant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Maddie_Larkin: lol I realized I worded that incorrectly and fixed it

Heh hey no prob man, it is only my point of view anyways XD No truth in it what so ever, only observations Ive made :s

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

They're called games, period.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FoxbatAlpha

@sts106mat said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Nothing new here but the lines will be crossed. Look at Quantum Break. They will be doing something new by unlocking cinematic episodes at the end of each level that you can watch later or before you start the next level. Brilliant.

apparently those episodes will change depending on choices made in the game. It is definitely one of the most interesting up coming games IMO.

I didn't know that! That sounds pretty cool. Kinda like the movie "BIG" with the electronic comic book. lol.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

LOL as far i know Xbox prefer a TV experience....hahahaha

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FoxbatAlpha

@aroxx_ab said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

LOL as far i know Xbox prefer a TV experience....hahahaha

You must be thinking of the Xbox One. One as in all your entertainment needs in one place. Games, movies, TV, Skype, music, snap mode, etc.

Sony does TV too, just not as good like every other area.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because gaming is an interactive experience, not one where you just sit there and absorb narrative and exposition.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

There were games with a strong focus on narrative since the beginning, on every platform. Despite being story driven, these games had plenty of gameplay. On other hand, most modern games try to be "cinematic" through gameplay itself.

There is nothing wrong with cutscenes as long as there are solid gameplay mechanics but to target wider audience, even gameplay is made to feel like a movie these days (QTEs, linear level design, no challenge, scripted events, 5-8 hours of roller coaster ride etc).

These games also feel like expansion packs or total conversions of one another. Sony should focus on other genres as well and not just scripted TPS/FPS. And no 30fps is not "cinematic". It's rubbish.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Why do you take things so seriously ?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Do you just sit there all day and try to come up with as many pointless topics as possible?

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Edo-Tensei_
Member since 2015 • 173 Posts

Sony also has movie studios and for that reason making cinematic games is less complicated and less expensive for them to produce. I guess other types of studios have to fork more cash to release a similar game(at least that's my reasoning).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

B/C that type of entertainment looks better at 800P 30 fps... dat cinematic experience is mah guess. :P

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Robert_Mueller
@foxhound_fox said:

Because gaming is an interactive experience, not one where you just sit there and absorb narrative and exposition.

Certainly, there have to be some interactive elements, otherwise it would be a movie. But the degree of freedom that is really needed to justify the term "game" is mainly a question of personal taste.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Yeah it was time loooong ago.

I think @SolidGame_basic is still hurting from not winning the SW thread creator award.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, and now The Order. All place emphasis on having a cinematic experience, and this has been a successful formula for Sony. I have no doubt The Order will sell well. How come MS and Nintendo don't try anything like that? Most of their games put story to a minimal. Is it because Sony users tend to appreciate art more? I ask you SW since you know all the answers.

Other Publishers want to make games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@robert_mueller said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Certainly, there have to be some interactive elements, otherwise it would be a movie. But the degree of freedom that is really needed to justify the term "game" is mainly a question of personal taste.

No.

The interactive part of the experience should be the most engrained and important part of the experience.

Having glorified scene-advancing button prompts is not interactive.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

They wrote like 10 full sized books about the Halo universe

whens the last time you read some 500 page novel about the order or uncharted or last of us

the halo universe is humongous detailed stories its about as big as star wars or mass effect

halo is pretty gigantic now full of rich detailed lore

you are just not gonna find that kinda thing on PSN its more down to you're level id say easy going games with no backstory or lived in feeling

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice

@ProtossRushX:

Halo's lore is second to none and only Star Wars even comes close.. of course, IMO.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

@ProtossRushX said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

They wrote like 10 full sized books about the Halo universe

whens the last time you read some 500 page novel about the order or uncharted or last of us

the halo universe is humongous detailed stories its about as big as star wars or mass effect

halo is pretty gigantic now full of rich detailed lore

you are just not gonna find that kinda thing on PSN its more down to you're level id say easy going games with no backstory or lived in feeling

none of the halo novels are 500 pages

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Robert_Mueller
@Cloud_imperium said:

There is nothing wrong with cutscenes as long as there are solid gameplay mechanics but to target wider audience, even gameplay is made to feel like a movie these days (QTEs, linear level design, no challenge, scripted events, 5-8 hours of roller coaster ride etc).

If you do not like linear level design, that's your personal problem. After all, many classic game genres have been completely linear (e.g. all side-scrolling games). While you are free to dislike such games, they are still clearly *games*.

Same for scripted events: Click-and-point adventures are actually nothing else than a bunch of scripted events that have to be activated by players in a certain sequence, and the goal of the game is only to find out the correct sequence. Still, they are clearly *games*.

With respect to challenges, it mainly depends on my mood whether I like to be challenged or not. There *are* situations where I have no demand for frustrations and rather enjoy games that are frustration free. Of course, being frustration free usually implies that a game is not a real challenge. But that's not a problem as long as there are other games that *are* challenging.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#41 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@ProtossRushX:

Halo's lore is second to none and only Star Wars even comes close.. of course, IMO.

Halo is about a a man in a motocross helmet shooting Pokemon.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib

@SecretPolice said:

@ProtossRushX:

...you can't be serious

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice

@uninspiredcup said:

@SecretPolice said:

@ProtossRushX:

Halo is about a a man in a motocross helmet shooting Pokemon.

Hahahah, precisely, you nailed it mah man, just doesn't get any better than that. :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

They appeal to the widest of audiences, I guess. Those types of games aren't for me, such boring gameplay.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Its about balance. Naughty Dog gets it right, nothing they've created comes close to how annoying Max Payne 3 was with its cutscenes every 30 seconds.

From what i've seen, The Corridor looks to be just as annoying but who knows, maybe they've just demoed the game terribly so far.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SecretPolice

@lostrib said:

@SecretPolice said:

@ProtossRushX:

...you can't be serious

...as a heart attack

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

Because you need talent to make an engaging 10+ hour cinematic game which nintendo and ms dont have.

Gears is a dudebro shit series, Halo a sci-fi game for babies and so on.

While nintendo has no narrative at all other than xenoblade and even that is only average.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

When even Sony fans are calling you out on your bullshit, it may be time to stop.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lostrib

@charizard1605 said:

When even Sony fans are calling you out on your bullshit, it may be time to stop.

it's a conspiracy!

But seriously, where would the fun in that be

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lostrib

@thegreatgeneral said:

Because you need talent to make an engaging 10+ hour cinematic game which nintendo and ms dont have.

Gears is a dudebro shit series, Halo a sci-fi game for babies and so on.

While nintendo has no narrative at all other than xenoblade and even that is only average.

oh lord...