Horizon Forbidden West - reviews, impressions, and reactions!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#151 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44474 Posts

@SecretPolice: Everything’s better with more cowbell. 😅

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

But Nintendo have always made games that look like this regardless of their platform.

False. GC, the last system that wasn't generations behind competition, they had plenty of reaslistic looking titles. Same applies to the N64, another system that wasn't behind the rest by 10 years. Only now that they're ONLY focusing on simplistic art directions because that's all they can achieve with their toaster. Hell, even the WiiU. Outdated compared to 8th gen, but still strong compared to the 7th gen, which is what we had when the system came out.

And what "realistic" games did Nintendo make on the GameCube?

I mean, for the full list, you gotta be looking at what was released on the system. I can't be remembering everything that was released on a system almost 20 years ago. RE4 was an exclusive at the beginning, and showcased its visuals very well. Eternal Darkness, Star Wars RS, Metroid Prime2, etc. All these more realistic titles that were released on the system looked great for their time. On the Switch, there isn't a single reaslistic title that looks half decent, let alone "good looking".

RE4 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron was built from the ground up for the Gamecube. It wasn't a port.

Eternal Darkness is an enhanced N64 game and looks like it.

There's nothing stopping Nintendo making more Prime games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Pedro said:

Gamespot score is rocking hard and the usual IGN and Metacritic cry as some folks seek help.😂

Like clockwork. Fanboys love changing the rules here when their stuff flops

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#155 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

But Nintendo have always made games that look like this regardless of their platform.

False. GC, the last system that wasn't generations behind competition, they had plenty of reaslistic looking titles. Same applies to the N64, another system that wasn't behind the rest by 10 years. Only now that they're ONLY focusing on simplistic art directions because that's all they can achieve with their toaster. Hell, even the WiiU. Outdated compared to 8th gen, but still strong compared to the 7th gen, which is what we had when the system came out.

Your brilliant assessment lines up perfectly with Nintendo's public announcement that they will no longer compete with Playstation or Xbox.

What does your Nintendo obsession have to do with Horizon?

EVERYTHING

How did you come up with GameCube being the last competing console?

It's almost like Nintendo made an announcement around that time they were no longer in direct competition.

Tell me, how did you figure that one out?

At least Nintendo lived up to their word, just like Sony who was for backwards compatibil--actually, nevermind, they took away that feature barely a year into the PS3's lifespan.

They did live up to their words. Creating ugly games generation after generation. If the other two were like Nintendo, we'd be in the stone age still.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts
@Antwan3K said:

I was told that $70 games ensure quality.. 🤔

Did someone really say that? Lol

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 HalcyonScarlet

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:

Your brilliant assessment lines up perfectly with Nintendo's public announcement that they will no longer compete with Playstation or Xbox.

What does your Nintendo obsession have to do with Horizon?

In the locked thread, there was a BOTW comparison with Horizon.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

@hardwenzen: you sure are attracted to ugly things because you talk about those things more than things you actually enjoy.

Your 2009 Demon's Souls port is waiting for you.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By hardwenzen
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

And what "realistic" games did Nintendo make on the GameCube?

I mean, for the full list, you gotta be looking at what was released on the system. I can't be remembering everything that was released on a system almost 20 years ago. RE4 was an exclusive at the beginning, and showcased its visuals very well. Eternal Darkness, Star Wars RS, Metroid Prime2, etc. All these more realistic titles that were released on the system looked great for their time. On the Switch, there isn't a single reaslistic title that looks half decent, let alone "good looking".

RE4 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron was built from the ground up for the Gamecube. It wasn't a port.

Who said otherwise? I said that RE4 was ported later on to other systems, but of course it was built for the GC. That's my whole point. Back when Nintendo systems were capable of rendering more than a colorful potato on screen, they did have reaslistic looking titles (which looked great for their time). Now, now its simply impossible.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

@hardwenzen: you sure are attracted to ugly things because you talk about those things more than things you actually enjoy.

Don't make me post a bunch of my VERY JUICY Demon's pics, buddy.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#161  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: it's interesting because a lot of games use the side quest characters to do the world building by telling you stuff, but in HZD the side quest peoples' dialog (and even the purpose of the quest - "my boy's in a tree!") were kind of secondary; they were there, and gave a reason to do it I guess, but the exploration, the things you found, and the combat encounters along the way really did the heavy lifting for me (which I kind of liked)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45408 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

8 is great in my book. Not as great as Halo: Infinite or The Medium but still great. Hopefully it has a high Twitch view count though.

Looking forward to playing myself in the future.

😄 trying to throw some shade, huh? Last time I checked, 89 beats 87 (Halo) and 71 (Medium) 😎

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

Don't make me post a bunch of my VERY JUICY Demon's pics, buddy.

The fact you excuse games known for being butt-ass ugly yet trash games for being "butt-ass ugly" on other systems goes to show you can't even live up to your shallow standards.

At least be consistent.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Who said otherwise? I said that RE4 was ported later on to other systems, but of course it was built for the GC. That's my whole point. Back when Nintendo system were capable of rendering more than a colorful potato on screen, they did have reaslistic looking titles (which looked great for their time). Now, now its simply impossible.

But the games you mentioned earlier are ports. "Titles such as Apex, TW3, Doom Eternal, MK11, etc?".

So how are they the same as Resident Evil 4 and Rogue Squadron?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#165 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Looks like Horizon:FW is scoring just as expected. high 80s. 87-89 @ mc kind of game.

Elden Ring to be hitting those 95 @ mc scores

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#166  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13086 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I thought the cows said that Horizon Forbidden West would own the games MS released last year.

Psychonauts 2 9/10

FH5 9/10

Halo Infinate 9/10

Deathloop 10/10

Wha Happun Playstation? XD

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Archangel3371 said:

8 is great in my book. Not as great as Halo: Infinite or The Medium but still great. Hopefully it has a high Twitch view count though.

😄 trying to throw some shade, huh? Last time I checked, 89 beats 87 (Halo) and 71 (Medium) 😎

9 > 8

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Archangel3371

@SolidGame_basic: Nope, no shade. Just going by the scores given out here by GameSpot. Or are they no longer as relevant here as I was led to believe? 😐

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By jaydan
@Archangel3371 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Nope, no shade. Just going by the scores given out here by GameSpot. Or are they no longer as relevant here as I was led to believe? 😐

There was a time in SW where Gamespot scores were all that mattered. Not anymore.

I dunno what the fuss is, an 8/10 is a great score. I guess calling something a great score is now throwing shade at the game in question.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@Archangel3371: only relevant when it suits the narrative

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 SolidGame_basic

@x_hedon said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Archangel3371 said:

9 > 8

what's more impressive, one review, or 92 reviews 😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By hardwenzen
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Who said otherwise? I said that RE4 was ported later on to other systems, but of course it was built for the GC. That's my whole point. Back when Nintendo system were capable of rendering more than a colorful potato on screen, they did have reaslistic looking titles (which looked great for their time). Now, now its simply impossible.

But the games you mentioned earlier are ports. "Titles such as Apex, TW3, Doom Eternal, MK11, etc?".

omg!!!! Yes, they're ports because that's all there is on the system. Nintendo, as i have mentioned above, don't even bother with making realistic looking titles because they know their system, and their system cannot handle anything but colorful potato visuals. When a realistic game comes out on a Switch, its 100% a lazy/ugly port. When we're looking at the GC, this wasn't the case. Nintendo themselves made realistic looking titles for it, and third party made realistic looking titles for Nintendo's GC, and they looked great, because the hardware was good for its time.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Archangel3371

@jaydan: Not sure what the fuss is either. I clearly said that 8 is a great score for me and I’m looking forward to playing the game someday as well. I’ve always said that I think this game looks great. 🤷‍♂️

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 jaydan

@Archangel3371 said:

@jaydan: Not sure what the fuss is either. I clearly said that 8 is a great score for me and I’m looking forward to playing the game someday as well. I’ve always said that I think this game looks great. 🤷‍♂️

How dare you say that! Take that back! Smh

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Archangel3371

@jaydan: My bad. 😅

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20182 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Those are some weird reasons on "The Bad" column.

Good score, looking forward to it!

I noticed that. Especially the complaint about other characters being more interesting than Aloy. We literally played her backstory in the first game. Either way, I enjoyed the first one so it looks like I'm going to dig this one too.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@x_hedon said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Archangel3371 said:

9 > 8

what's more impressive, one review, or 92 reviews 😎

Depends on the agenda 😎

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 KvallyX

Eurogamer

No Recommendation

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-14-horizon-forbidden-west-review

RIP :(

It's a real shame. While it's undoubtedly another accomplished game in terms of technical achievement and sheer visual spectacle - I'm reminded again of those incredible faces, and one particularly outstanding underwater level - I've enjoyed Forbidden West less than Zero Dawn. The main story has major issues, and the level design made it difficult for me to play the way I had previously enjoyed, while making a lot of the newer systems feel redundant. Beyond that, the sense is of a game where Guerrilla has cobbled together RPG building blocks often without making them work within the context of its own game, and in some cases actively worsening Horizon Forbidden West as a result. I don't expect groundbreaking innovation, but with using well-established elements there's always the danger of them having been done better elsewhere. Unfortunately, with Horizon Forbidden West that's often the case.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8904 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Great score. I am sure that PS fans are going to be busy this month.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 SolidGame_basic

@x_hedon said:

Eurogamer

No Recommendation

It's a real shame. While it's undoubtedly another accomplished game in terms of technical achievement and sheer visual spectacle - I'm reminded again of those incredible faces, and one particularly outstanding underwater level - I've enjoyed Forbidden West less than Zero Dawn. The main story has major issues, and the level design made it difficult for me to play the way I had previously enjoyed, while making a lot of the newer systems feel redundant. Beyond that, the sense is of a game where Guerrilla has cobbled together RPG building blocks often without making them work within the context of its own game, and in some cases actively worsening Horizon Forbidden West as a result. I don't expect groundbreaking innovation, but with using well-established elements there's always the danger of them having been done better elsewhere. Unfortunately, with Horizon Forbidden West that's often the case.

I think differing opinions are good. That's why I like to look at it holistically, not just from one site.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Zero_epyon

According to DF, there was a day one patch released while they were doing their analysis. Maybe this reviewer finished their playthrough before the patch arrived. Publishers should really make sure these games are ready to go before reviewers start taking a look if they genuinely care about the scores. Sony, especially, seems to really care about media perception so you'd think they would get that patch out asap.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@x_hedon said:

Eurogamer

No Recommendation

I think differing opinions are good. That's why I like to look at it holistically, not just from one site.

As do I. Eurogamer is my preferred review site. But I don't buy or not buy because of them. I bought Horizon Forbidden West because I liked Horizon Zero Dawn.

@Zero_epyon said:

According to DF, there was a day one patch released while they were doing their analysis. Maybe this reviewer finished their playthrough before the patch arrived. Publishers should really make sure these games are ready to go before reviewers start taking a look if they genuinely care about the scores. Sony, especially, seems to really care about media perception so you'd think they would get that patch out asap.

I agree. Reviews should not be allowed until the day one patches are applied (assuming there is one). Then they can start the review process. But it's marketing and promotion of their game before the release, so I get why they are allowing it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Zero_epyon

@x_hedon said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

As do I. Eurogamer is my preferred review site. But I don't buy or not buy because of them. I bought Horizon Forbidden West because I liked Horizon Zero Dawn.

@Zero_epyon said:

I agree. Reviews should not be allowed until the day one patches are applied (assuming there is one). Then they can start the review process. But it's marketing and promotion of their game before the release, so I get why they are allowing it.

They should distribute whatever consumers are going to get and reviewers have no choice but to assume that that's what consumers will get. I don't blame the reviewers. If Sony says, "here tell me what you think" and then a few days later says "oh btw I fixed this stuff" I wouldn't want to go back and redo my review.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 KvallyX

@Zero_epyon said:
@x_hedon said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

@Zero_epyon said:

They should distribute whatever consumers are going to get and reviewers have no choice but to assume that that's what consumers will get. I don't blame the reviewers. If Sony says, "here tell me what you think" and then a few days later says "oh btw I fixed this stuff" I wouldn't want to go back and redo my review.

Along those lines, look at games like GT Sport and Sea of Thieves. These live service games a couple years later would have greatly improved scores if that content (and bug fixes) was there on day one. But you can't fix old scores. And metacritic and opencritic aren't going to open up a secondary score for them.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

omg!!!! Yes, they're ports because that's all there is on the system. Nintendo, as i have mentioned above, don't even bother with making realistic looking titles because they know their system, and their system cannot handle anything but colorful potato visuals. When a realistic game comes out on a Switch, its 100% a lazy/ugly port. When we're looking at the GC, this wasn't the case. Nintendo themselves made realistic looking titles for it, and third party made realistic looking titles for Nintendo's GC, and they looked great, because the hardware was good for its time.

Do they sell well? Resident Evil sold badly on the GameCube. Capcom put a clause in the exclusivity contract that stated, if it didn't sell well, they could take it else where.

That's probably a bigger reason as to why these games aren't built from the ground up on the system.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Do they sell well? Resident Evil sold badly on the GameCube. Capcom put a clause in the exclusivity contract that stated, if it didn't sell well, they could take it else where.

That's probably a bigger reason as to why these games aren't built from the ground up on the system.

Why would you talk about sales knowing GC didn't do well a whole?

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3745 Posts

Another average Horizon game. Poor Sony. It's days of gaming greatness are behind it. I am not surprised. I'll probably pick it up when it's $20.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 KvallyX

@mesome713 said:

Why did my thread get locked? I made my thread before TC updated and changed his thread. I feel like crying :(

I was wondering the same thing.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16590 Posts

so is this a flop or not?? 8/10 on GS, and 90 on MC. Not sure.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#190 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6107 Posts

8/10 is still a fantastic score,if I had a PS5 it wouldn’t steer me away from purchasing the game at all. Review websites I think had their standards way too high for this sequel? I’m sure it’s better than the first one.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 KvallyX

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

so is this a flop or not?? 8/10 on GS, and 90 on MC. Not sure.

89 on OpenCritic and 8 on GS = flop

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

The point isn't sales it's whether there's a reason these types of games aren't published for Nintendo consoles outside of hardware capabilities.

EA doesn't even release cash cow Fifa games for Nintendo consoles in any form. Do you not think this may be more of a reason?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#193  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@x_hedon: Must have been a Sony mod that locked it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

The point isn't sales it's whether there's a reason these types of games aren't published for Nintendo consoles outside of hardware capabilities.

EA doesn't even release cash cow Fifa games for Nintendo consoles in any form. Do you not think this may be more of a reason?

Look at the last fifa titles. It was a copy paste job from a previous year. The Switch is so far behind in tech, that releasing a new game on that thing is almost like building a Switch version from the groundup. Nobody wants to waste their time, unless a lazy port can be done.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 hardwenzen
PS5 vistas
PS5 vistas
Switch vistas
Switch vistas

🤭

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9892 Posts

89 metacritic is exactly what I predicted in that other thread 😎! Very solid score, bravo!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By KvallyX
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#198 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70240 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:

Gamespot score is rocking hard and the usual IGN and Metacritic cry as some folks seek help.😂

Like clockwork. Fanboys love changing the rules here when their stuff flops

You should know.😎

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56347 Posts

@x_hedon said:
@mesome713 said:

Why did my thread get locked? I made my thread before TC updated and changed his thread. I feel like crying :(

I was wondering the same thing.

I had nothing to do with it. Whoever lock it didn't even leave a note either🤷‍♂️

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56347 Posts

@x_hedon: Sooo, where's the PC version of HZD vs BOTW?