Horizon Forbidden West - reviews, impressions, and reactions!

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Haha so Sony and it's so called big hitter is a flop. What a joke. Hits like a cream puff. First one was a snooze fest and this one's even worse, cows can't catch a break. Solid in full meltdown, damage control mode activated, coping threads deployed.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13124 Posts

Down to 88

https://opencritic.com/game/12361/horizon-forbidden-west

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Ouch, that's gotta hurt...

lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#104 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70512 Posts

This must burn especially if scores mean so much to you. Rough time for Sony fannies. Soon they will say scores don't matter.😂

It doesn't to me.😎

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#105 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26116 Posts

Many years later, it is still in the shadow of Breath of the Wild.

However, it still seems like a great game.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

@hardwenzen:

"Did you look at more realistic titles running on the Switch? Titles such as Apex, TW3, Doom Eternal, MK11, etc? It doesn't look disappointing... it looks FUGLY. On the other hand, when you look at the new Kirby title that's coming out soon, or 3D marios that use the same art direction, the games look good for what they are, because the art direction is simple. There's nothing but colorful shapes in the environment, and nothing else is even needed. This is the kind of visuals everything made in 3D should look like on the Switch. Complex realistic visuals are not made for a potato from 2010."

These games weren't built for the Switch. They just went to low settings from the PC version. Hardly optimised in any meaningful way.

I'm sure you can appreciate the difference when Horizon is built for a GTX 750 PS4 GPU.

Nintendo doesn't make games like TW, Doom etc.

Nintendo games look like Nintendo games, it's part of their image.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Why did my thread get locked? I made my thread before TC updated and changed his thread. I feel like crying :(

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

Just GT7 and God of War 2 left this year. Oh dear.

And I don't buy that metacritic is more meaningful. If I don't trust IGN if they said that rain was wet and the sky is blue, how am I going to trust all the other reviewers that puff up scores like Daily Star.

It doesn't make sense to use metacritic imo.

Honestly. Out of one hundred reviews, you might trust five or ten at best.

For me it's like Gamespot, Edge, maybe Giant Bomb... Maybe some others.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39855 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hardwenzen:

"Did you look at more realistic titles running on the Switch? Titles such as Apex, TW3, Doom Eternal, MK11, etc? It doesn't look disappointing... it looks FUGLY. On the other hand, when you look at the new Kirby title that's coming out soon, or 3D marios that use the same art direction, the games look good for what they are, because the art direction is simple. There's nothing but colorful shapes in the environment, and nothing else is even needed. This is the kind of visuals everything made in 3D should look like on the Switch. Complex realistic visuals are not made for a potato from 2010."

These games weren't built for the Switch. They just went to low settings from the PC version. Hardly optimised in any meaningful way.

I'm sure you can appreciate the difference when Horizon is built for a GTX 750 PS4 GPU.

They don't make them because they know their hardware. Its simply too complex when you're this behind competition. But creating cute little colorful games will attract kids, and non gamers, which is a good way to make money and at the same time, not being compared to its competition. Nintendo knows what they're doing.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2506 Posts

What’s with the trolls above claiming an 88 is an awful score?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20265 Posts

Lol Gamespot strikes again.

It’s sitting at the same metacritic score as the first one which is interesting.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#112  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70512 Posts

Gamespot score is rocking hard and the usual IGN and Metacritic cry as some folks seek help.😂

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hardwenzen:

They don't make them because they know their hardware. Its simply too complex when you're this behind competition. But creating cute little colorful games will attract kids, and non gamers, which is a good way to make money and at the same time, not being compared to its competition. Nintendo knows what they're doing.

But Nintendo have always made games that look like this regardless of their platform.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Mesome713

@HalcyonScarlet: Yep, even when Nintendo had the most powerful console, they used same style. I mean come on, Gamecube had Wind Waker.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45535 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

What’s with the trolls above claiming an 88 is an awful score?

It's hilarious. Game scores 89 on MC, "but but, it's not a 90" 😆

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20265 Posts

@mysticaldonut: you answered your own questions. People will troll whatever they can here.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hardwenzen:

But Nintendo have always made games that look like this regardless of their platform.

False. GC, the last system that wasn't generations behind competition, they had plenty of reaslistic looking titles. Same applies to the N64, another system that wasn't behind the rest by 10 years. Only now that they're ONLY focusing on simplistic art directions because that's all they can achieve with their toaster. Hell, even the WiiU. Outdated compared to 8th gen, but still strong compared to the 7th gen, which is what we had when the system came out.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: What? RE4 vs Wind Waker? STFU.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56474 Posts

IGN gave it a 9/10 and they recommend it as well. Glad I didn't bother with a hype thread as this thread is more suited for this anyway.

Will be picking up this on PS4 and later for PC.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 hardwenzen  Online

lol at people defending 1080p in Dying Light 2, saying how the world is complex and vertical. Not only is Horizon2 vertical as well, but its over a generation ahead in visuals, and runs at 1800p🤷‍♂️

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8413 Posts

great score, hopefully i can eventually pick this up on PC sooner rather than later..

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

lol at people defending 1080p in Dying Light 2, saying how the world is complex and vertical. Not only is Horizon2 vertical as well, but its over a generation ahead in visuals, and runs at 1800p🤷‍♂️

Techland are true wizards, but their game does require some insane specs. Not even a RTX3090 can do 4K at 60 with raytracing.

Guerrilla on the other hands are masters of optimization: Killzone 2 blew everything away running on the same specs on PC.

Horizon ZD is a true showcase for PS4 and Forbidden West for PS5.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Just checked,yip still 8 out of 10 here at GameSpot.

Though if you are a IGN member just nip across,sign in and hey presto 9 out of 10

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Mesome713

@simple-facts: 8/10 is not bad, almost all games get 8/10.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@R4gn4r0k said:
@hardwenzen said:

Techland are true wizards, but their game does require some insane specs. Not even a RTX3090 can do 4K at 60 with raytracing.

Guerrilla on the other hands are masters of optimization: Killzone 2 blew everything away running on the same specs on PC.

Horizon ZD is a true showcase for PS4 and Forbidden West for PS5.

RT is expensive, so it doesn't really count. The fact that the game has to run at 1080p with no RT to have 60fps is just stupid. Its not even an impressive looking game, and you can tell that it was supposed to come out long time ago.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 SecretPolice

I'm guessing after Phony's desperate overpaying for Bungie, they just didn't have the usual millions they normally have for the reviewers this time. lol :P

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2083 Posts

@zerothehero: Speaking of Turok a new game would be amazing if done like the first two. Turok had some of the best weapons in FPS history.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2506 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

@mysticaldonut: you answered your own questions. People will troll whatever they can here.

I gotta stop doing that.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#129 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12393 Posts

GameSpot strikes again. lol

Reviews have been really great; can't wait to play it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Nice. The negatives seem to echo the original in many ways (which is fine because I loved it the way it was), although I find it interesting the other characters are a high point relative to aloy, because to be blunt the npcs in the first game were largely bad in my opinion: very wooden animations, awkward voice acting, little actually interesting to say. Only a select few "core story" characters were intriguing, and most side quests were really weak except to the extent they forced you to pass by or engage with the machines. It was totally the ranged gameplay and world building that I loved. So it seems they put more into the extraneous characters this time, which is nice. It's fine if Aloy is kind of a blank

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#131 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

RT is expensive, so it doesn't really count. The fact that the game has to run at 1080p with no RT to have 60fps is just stupid. Its not even an impressive looking game, and you can tell that it was supposed to come out long time ago.

RT comes with the downside of having to use either DLSS or FSR.

You can do FSR Ultraquality in Dying Light 2 and it'll look better than highest DLSS.

So you gotta make a simple choice: do you want ray tracing? Or do you want the highest res?

Ray tracing is perfectly doable at 1080p.

But personally i'll take traditional lighting and play the game at higher refresh rate and resolution. Even if that means lower fidelity graphics, the game still looks good enough for me.

Horizon I'll be playing in 60fps mode: exact same reason.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 HalcyonScarlet

@mesome713 said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Yep, even when Nintendo had the most powerful console, they used same style. I mean come on, Gamecube had Wind Waker.

And Resident Evil 4 to your point.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#133 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Ohh man

I remember when I purchased HZD digital deluxe edition on day 1 for like 60£ years ago

I am going to wait until it's dirt cheap and then snatch it.

All Sony did with increasing their games prices is making me more resilient to get the games at full price.

Looks good but I think the novelty factor has worn off, also lol at being a cross gen game!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

False. GC, the last system that wasn't generations behind competition, they had plenty of reaslistic looking titles. Same applies to the N64, another system that wasn't behind the rest by 10 years. Only now that they're ONLY focusing on simplistic art directions because that's all they can achieve with their toaster. Hell, even the WiiU. Outdated compared to 8th gen, but still strong compared to the 7th gen, which is what we had when the system came out.

And what "realistic" games did Nintendo make on the GameCube?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8476 Posts

Great score. I'm sure people will enjoy this game that aren't caught up with that fanboy hubris.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#137 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13124 Posts

Why do devs keep releasing buggy ass games?? Beta test and finish your fucking games.

GameSpot -The vast size of Forbidden West also feels like it introduces a fair few technical issues beyond Aloy's occasional inability to make eye contact with less-interesting characters. Especially when you're on a mount or looking over large distances, there can be some texture pop-in, particularly with the architecture of settlements. The game crashed to the PlayStation dashboard on me a few times as I played through it, and once or twice, a quest couldn't be completed until I reloaded an earlier save. Aloy got stuck looting a chest or an enemy a few times, forcing me to roll back to an earlier save.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#138 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34791 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Geist, maybe? The Metroid Primes, to an extent.

Not trying to agree with wenzen, Nintendo have always been about colorful shit. Just found it fun to think about.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hardwenzen:

Your brilliant assessment lines up perfectly with Nintendo's public announcement that they will no longer compete with Playstation or Xbox.

What does your Nintendo obsession have to do with Horizon?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 HalcyonScarlet

I thought the cows said that Horizon Forbidden West would own the games MS released last year.

Psychonauts 2 9/10

FH5 9/10

Halo Infinate 9/10

Deathloop 10/10

Wha Happun Playstation? XD

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#141 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44612 Posts

8 is great in my book. Not as great as Halo: Infinite or The Medium but still great. Hopefully it has a high Twitch view count though.

Looking forward to playing myself in the future.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45535 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Nice. The negatives seem to echo the original in many ways (which is fine because I loved it the way it was), although I find it interesting the other characters are a high point relative to aloy, because to be blunt the npcs in the first game were largely bad in my opinion: very wooden animations, awkward voice acting, little actually interesting to say. Only a select few "core story" characters were intriguing, and most side quests were really weak except to the extent they forced you to pass by or engage with the machines. It was totally the ranged gameplay and world building that I loved. So it seems they put more into the extraneous characters this time, which is nice. It's fine if Aloy is kind of a blank

Yea, it seems like if you loved the original, you're going to love this one. Hopefully it has enough improvements for the things I didn't like, many of which you listed.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50691 Posts

Those are some weird reasons on "The Bad" column.

Good score, looking forward to it!

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8413 Posts

@x_hedon said:

Why do devs keep releasing buggy ass games?? Beta test and finish your fucking games.

GameSpot -The vast size of Forbidden West also feels like it introduces a fair few technical issues beyond Aloy's occasional inability to make eye contact with less-interesting characters. Especially when you're on a mount or looking over large distances, there can be some texture pop-in, particularly with the architecture of settlements. The game crashed to the PlayStation dashboard on me a few times as I played through it, and once or twice, a quest couldn't be completed until I reloaded an earlier save. Aloy got stuck looting a chest or an enemy a few times, forcing me to roll back to an earlier save.

I was told that $70 games ensure quality.. 🤔

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 hardwenzen  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I mean, for the full list, you gotta be looking at what was released on the system. I can't be remembering everything that was released on a system almost 20 years ago. RE4 was an exclusive at the beginning, and showcased its visuals very well. Eternal Darkness, Star Wars RS, Metroid Prime2, etc. All these more realistic titles that were released on the system looked great for their time. On the Switch, there isn't a single reaslistic title that looks half decent, let alone "good looking".

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Loved the original game, as long as they addressed and fixed the melee combat (I didn't dislike it, but it could have had more depth) and the weirdly animated NPS's I'm sure I'll enjoy this one just as much if not more.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 hardwenzen  Online

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hardwenzen:

Your brilliant assessment lines up perfectly with Nintendo's public announcement that they will no longer compete with Playstation or Xbox.

EVERYTHING

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#148 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5297 Posts

@x_hedon said:

Why do devs keep releasing buggy a** games?? Beta test and finish your f***ing games.

Can it be because of strict deadlines and money? If more developers have the money and the time to complete their games, then we will see less games released with technical issues.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By SecretPolice

@Archangel3371: @HalcyonScarlet:

lol :P

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By jaydan
@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

EVERYTHING

How did you come up with GameCube being the last competing console?

It's almost like Nintendo made an announcement around that time they were no longer in direct competition.

Tell me, how did you figure that one out?

At least Nintendo lived up to their word, just like Sony who was for backwards compatibil--actually, nevermind, they took away that feature barely a year into the PS3's lifespan.