Heavy Rain 40m to make, 100m profit

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Vatusus (4801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Yo, not to perpetuate a stereotype, but a lot of them don't. PASBR, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, etc. Not that that makes them better or worse, or anything, but in terms of true mass appeal, they've got GT, Uncharted, and God of War. That's it.

Similar to Microsoft's Halo/Gears/Forza and Nintendo's Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

Everyone's got a Holy Trinity.

DarkLink77

You forgot both LBP and inFamous that sells well enough, and I'm pretty sure both Killzone 2 and 3 sold great aswell.

Links for sales to inFamous and LBP? Killzone 2 broke 2 million, but we don't have any official info of Killzone 3 doing above - 800,000, I believe.

If I post vgchartz you'll just say lolvgchartz wont you?

anyways

http://n4g.com/news/268681/littlebigplanet-sells-2-million-copies

#52 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Vatusus"]

You forgot both LBP and inFamous that sells well enough, and I'm pretty sure both Killzone 2 and 3 sold great aswell.

Vatusus

Links for sales to inFamous and LBP? Killzone 2 broke 2 million, but we don't have any official info of Killzone 3 doing above - 800,000, I believe.

anyways

Um.. yeah. VGChartz isn't accurate, and that's been proven many times. That links to an article that isn't there, man.
#53 Posted by Vatusus (4801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Links for sales to inFamous and LBP? Killzone 2 broke 2 million, but we don't have any official info of Killzone 3 doing above - 800,000, I believe.DarkLink77

anyways

Um.. yeah. VGChartz isn't accurate, and that's been proven many times. That links to an article that isn't there, man.

yeah, probably cause its an old link... But I thought it was pretty much a given LBP was a comercial success. I cant find another source other than VGChartz but this one below must say something

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/littlebigplanet-2-player-base-passes-lbp-1-records/

#54 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28019 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Wait, wasn't it the Journey devs who said makign that game bankrupted them?

Vatusus

The process of making the game bankrupted them but then when it released it was hugelly profitable. If it had bankrupted them ThatGameCompany would be no more... think

I might be wrong, but I think in the end they said they only broke about even.
#55 Posted by mems_1224 (47437 posts) -
Who gives a shit?
#56 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

these stupids gifs are getting annoying, if your gif aint good dont post it.

#57 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

Bit of a misleading title, but I'm glad it sold well, always nice when a game that takes risks sell well. 

#58 Posted by MonsieurX (30813 posts) -

Alienware_fan
Should apply to your posts as well. We won't see much of them anymore :(
#59 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

blue_hazy_basic

The process of making the game bankrupted them but then when it released it was hugelly profitable. If it had bankrupted them ThatGameCompany would be no more... think

Yeah they did, they made a profit but not a "huge" one like he said. They also said they wanted to go multiplat because staying exclusive didn't help them

#60 Posted by Vatusus (4801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

blue_hazy_basic

yeah, searching some sources out says you're right

#61 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28019 posts) -

Alienware_fan

Vs8jGQs.gif

(stolen from OT :P )

#62 Posted by DivineSword (15765 posts) -

Glad it paid off for trying something new.

#63 Posted by Krelian-co (11636 posts) -

But I thought PS3 exclusives didn't sell

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14893-1338650161-4.

tonitorsi

#64 Posted by Krelian-co (11636 posts) -

[QUOTE="Alienware_fan"]

blue_hazy_basic

Vs8jGQs.gif

lol that had me laughing for a bit

#65 Posted by lundy86_4 (43728 posts) -

It was a good game. Some of the gameplay was a pain in the dick, but otherwise, it was pretty interesting. I still have it.

#66 Posted by RoccoHout (998 posts) -

Amazing game, like The Walking Dead it can make you cry at the end

#68 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

That's good that niche games like this are doing well. Also is that article insinuating that Heavy Rain is innovative? :?soulitane

The point is more that it's unusual and nontraditional. Originality aside, Heavy Rain was the kind of concept that gets you thrown out of most publishers' offices on your ear, so its success might mean that other experimental-type games will have an easier time getting picked up.

Or maybe it just means that Activision will make a QTE-driven Call of Duty adventure game next year.

#69 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Links for sales to inFamous and LBP? Killzone 2 broke 2 million, but we don't have any official info of Killzone 3 doing above - 800,000, I believe.DarkLink77

Little Big Planet sold 5 million

Little Big Planet 2 sold 3 million

Link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_%28PlayStation_3%29#Sales

"SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide.[144]"

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/43908/littlebigplanet-2/

I know this lolchartz, but it has LBP2 at 2.89 million. I have seen a more reliable link, but I can't find it.

Lolchartz also has Killzone 3 at 2.45 million.

Why is it considered unreliable? Do games sell more or less than what it says?

#70 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

It's hard to believe they spent that much on marketing with Heavy Rain not having any TV ads in the U.S. TV ad budgets went to MAG , MLB , and GoW III around that time.Nike_Air

Sony probably saw more sales potential in Europe and advertised accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the revenue came in from Europe.

#71 Posted by nervmeister (15290 posts) -

[QUOTE="Alienware_fan"]

blue_hazy_basic

Vs8jGQs.gif

Wow. That is both creepy and cute at the same time. We need more sloth-cat interaction vids/gifs!
#72 Posted by soulitane (13631 posts) -
That's good that niche games like this are doing well. Also is that article insinuating that Heavy Rain is innovative? :?
#73 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

I heard Dark Knight made much more money than this film. applause.gif Not bad though for a no-name director.

#74 Posted by Joedgabe (5129 posts) -

I bought it and was a satisfied customer. I largely enjoyed the story and the direction in which it was taken, and so i'm looking foward to their upcoming game.

#75 Posted by KarateeeChop (4662 posts) -

i think many people bought the ps3 as a bluray player so it makes sense that a movie like heavy rain sells more than most ps3 exclusives. dreamy

#76 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10484 posts) -

Impressive for that kind of games.

#77 Posted by TheGrat1 (4251 posts) -

Think of how much more money they would have made if they released it on the PC & 360...

StormyJoe
Think of how it wouldn't have existed without SONY's funding...
#78 Posted by Karpetburnz (548 posts) -

i think many people bought the ps3 as a bluray player so it makes sense that a movie like heavy rain sells more than most ps3 exclusives. dreamy

KarateeeChop

So much Butthurt.

#79 Posted by hippiesanta (9915 posts) -
only PC and Lems gamer butthurt say it's a movie ...
#80 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Or maybe it just means that Activision will make a QTE-driven Call of Duty adventure game next year.Cherokee_Jack

They aren't doing that now?

#81 Posted by KarateeeChop (4662 posts) -

[QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

i think many people bought the ps3 as a bluray player so it makes sense that a movie like heavy rain sells more than most ps3 exclusives. dreamy

Karpetburnz

So much Butthurt.

suspension dodging again, ninetailedgoku? tsk tsk tsk 3696439526.gif

#82 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Or maybe it just means that Activision will make a QTE-driven Call of Duty adventure game next year.DarkLink77

They aren't doing that now?

Well, this time you have to launch a nuke at yourself. It's pretty messed up.

Also you can press the A button at any time to say "RAMIREZ!"

#83 Posted by soulitane (13631 posts) -

[QUOTE="soulitane"]That's good that niche games like this are doing well. Also is that article insinuating that Heavy Rain is innovative? :?Cherokee_Jack

The point is more that it's unusual and nontraditional. Originality aside, Heavy Rain was the kind of concept that gets you thrown out of most publishers' offices on your ear, so its success might mean that other experimental-type games will have an easier time getting picked up.

Or maybe it just means that Activision will make a QTE-driven Call of Duty adventure game next year.

I can understand that, it's a niche game but it always surprises me how so many people claim it's innovative when it's pretty much like a next gen fahrenheit.
#84 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="soulitane"]That's good that niche games like this are doing well. Also is that article insinuating that Heavy Rain is innovative? :?soulitane

I can understand that, it's a niche game but it always surprises me how so many people claim it's innovative when it's pretty much like a next gen fahrenheit.

They probably like to think of Heavy Rain as a do-over of Fahrenheit.

#85 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5224 posts) -

Great game. Happy to see lots of people played it.

#86 Posted by dxmcat (1165 posts) -

I still loved the game, as I did Fahrenheit (Not the US version). Please, I would enjoy another.

#87 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
I loved Heavy Rain, regardless of its shortcomings.
#88 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

But I thought PS3 exclusives didn't sell

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14893-1338650161-4.

jsmoke03

they just dont sell as much as ms games other than gt5

Uncharted sell better all MS exclusives but Halo. The last Gears flop put it behind Uncharted.

#89 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

And none of that matters because i don't get a nice, juicy slice of that money.. so don't give a f*k.

Lucianu

Lemming talk about finances all the time...it is all they have(even though they get none it).

#90 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Think of how much more money they would have made if they released it on the PC & 360...

StormyJoe

I thought lemmings don't like movie-games. PC sales would have been negligle at best.

#91 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Yo, not to perpetuate a stereotype, but a lot of them don't. PASBR, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, etc. Not that that makes them better or worse, or anything, but in terms of true mass appeal, they've got GT, Uncharted, and God of War. That's it.

Similar to Microsoft's Halo/Gears/Forza and Nintendo's Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

Everyone's got a Holy Trinity.

DarkLink77

#92 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

David Cage is a baller...no wonder he can afford to hire real actors.

#93 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Vatusus"]

StrongBlackVine

Link?
#94 Posted by Nike_Air (18358 posts) -

It's hard to believe they spent that much on marketing with Heavy Rain not having any TV ads in the U.S. TV ad budgets went to MAG , MLB , and GoW III around that time.

#95 Posted by Karpetburnz (548 posts) -

Link?

"SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_(PlayStation_3)#Sales

And this was back in 2010, Its 2013 now so is it that hard to believe that LBP has sold over 5 million? even VGchartz has LBP at 5.17 million but you shouldnt take that as a fact.

#96 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

Karpetburnz

Link?

"SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide."

And this was back in 2010, Its 2013 now so is it that hard to believe that LBP has sold over 5 million? even VGchartz has LBP at 5.17 million but you shouldnt take that as a fact.

Because the only Sony exclusives that can sell over 2 millon are GT, Uncharted and God Of War. :roll: Even there about lot more that have sold 2 millon+ this generation.

#97 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

StrongBlackVine

VGChartz's unreliablity goes back when its founder was a member of NeoGAF. Since he provided sales figures that were found to be unreliable, he was eventually banned and his site has been blacklisted by NeoGAF (it is considered a bannable offensive to have VGChartz.com figures on that forum).

#98 Posted by Karpetburnz (548 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

StrongBlackVine

Link?

"SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide.[144]"

I know this lolchartz, but it has LBP2 at 2.89 million. I have seen a more reliable link, but I can't find it.

I think VGchartz under tracks sales a little, cause It has Xbox360 at 75 million even though its confirmed that it sold 77 million.

Im not sure if its the same for software sales though, but yea I considder VGchartz to be an estimate, But I dont think its to far off with sofware sales, It wont be accurate to the exact decimal, but I think it should be somewhat accurate.

#99 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Link?Karpetburnz

I think VGchartz under tracks sales a little, cause It has Xbox360 at 75 million even though its confirmed that it sold 77 million.

Im not sure if its the same for software sales though, but yea I considder VGchartz to be an estimate, But I dont think its to far off with sofware sales, It wont be accurate to the exact decimal, but I think it should be somewhat accurate.

That doesn't seem to bad. At least you can get an idea when there no other more reliable sources.

#100 Posted by Karpetburnz (548 posts) -

[QUOTE="Karpetburnz"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Link?StrongBlackVine

Because the only Sony exclusives that can sell over 2 millon are GT, Uncharted and God Of War. :roll: Even there about lot more that have sold 2 millon+ this generation.

Diddnt MGS4 sell over 5 million aswell?