Heavy Rain 40m to make, 100m profit

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Karpetburnz (532 posts) -

[QUOTE="Karpetburnz"]

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_%28PlayStation_3%29#Sales

"SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide.[144]"

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/43908/littlebigplanet-2/

I know this lolchartz, but it has LBP2 at 2.89 million. I have seen a more reliable link, but I can't find it.

Lolchartz also has Killzone 3 at 2.45 million.

Why is it considered unreliable? Do games sell more or less than what it says?

StrongBlackVine

I think VGchartz under tracks sales a little, cause It has Xbox360 at 75 million even though its confirmed that it sold 77 million.

Im not sure if its the same for software sales though, but yea I considder VGchartz to be an estimate, But I dont think its to far off with sofware sales, It wont be accurate to the exact decimal, but I think it should be somewhat accurate.

That doesn't seem to bad. At least you can get an idea when there no other more reliable sources.

exactly, even if its not reliable to the exact number, It still gives you an idea of how many millions a game sold.

#102 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

It's not a game. Deal with it.

#103 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
lolHeavyRaincharizard1605
#104 Posted by jg4xchamp (52015 posts) -

>""I'll give you one example that I know about: Heavy Rain. Let's say it's $22 million to produce. With marketing it's maybe $30 million. With distribution, $40 million. Sony earned $100 million with the game, so it's very profitable. It's the sort of margin that most publishers would strive for, for any game"

>100m profit title

This bothers me way more than it should.

#105 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
im pretty sure it was 16m to 'MAKE'
#106 Posted by Gue1 (11634 posts) -

im pretty sure it was 16m to 'MAKE'campzor

22m (16m is not even considered a triple A budget, those start at 20), but they never say the exact amount anyway and the same with the profit. I don't know why but publishers make developer sign contracts to never divulge this stuff.

#107 Posted by GarGx1 (4119 posts) -

Never mind I mis read it first time

#108 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
Quantic Dream ftw. They do make some amazing games. Cant wait for Beyond
#109 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
ummm.. according to your quote they made 8 million profit, not 100 million 100 million was the revenue :|
#110 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10589 posts) -

100mil profit? i really doubt that, the game only sold 2mil copies

100mil revenue yeah, but not profit

HaloinventedFPS
Exactly. It probably barely broke even in terms of profit.
#112 Posted by locopatho (21579 posts) -

>""I'll give you one example that I know about: Heavy Rain. Let's say it's $22 million to produce. With marketing it's maybe $30 million. With distribution, $40 million. Sony earned $100 million with the game, so it's very profitable. It's the sort of margin that most publishers would strive for, for any game"

>100m profit title

This bothers me way more than it should.

jg4xchamp
Lol. I was thinking the same. Even when there's good news for Sony, their fans still lie/fvck it up :P
#113 Posted by clone01 (25469 posts) -

Right on...I enjoyed that game.

#114 Posted by blackace (21607 posts) -

But I thought PS3 exclusives didn't sell

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14893-1338650161-4.

tonitorsi
Many of them don't sell that great. A lot of them don't even break 2 million. In this story it doesn't even say how many copies of Heavy Rain were sold. Probably 2-3 million copies I guess. Their best sellers are GT5, LBP, GoW, Uncharted, Resistance:FoM, InFamous and Sports Champions (which was a pack in). Most of these games were bundles at some point, so it's no surprise they are higher in sales.
#115 Posted by blackace (21607 posts) -
[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

100mil profit? i really doubt that, the game only sold 2mil copies

100mil revenue yeah, but not profit

Salt_The_Fries
Exactly. It probably barely broke even in terms of profit.

Doesn't say they made $100 million profit. Says the game was profitable. If it sold over 2 million copies, he would be right. Probably made $25-$35 million in profits. Definitely not $100 million.
#116 Posted by clr84651 (5567 posts) -

But I thought PS3 exclusives didn't sell

Then Honda's don't sell:arrow:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14893-1338650161-4.

tonitorsi

#117 Posted by OldSnakePS3 (306 posts) -

Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, Journey, The Last Guardian, Beyond, 

M$ wouldnt touch these games in a million years 

Thank You Sony :cool:

#118 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
It's good news for gaming, this and The Walking Dead's success; highlights that consumers want diversity to publishers. Saying that despite Heavy Rain having some atrocious writing and downright terrible storytelling at times - for a game that entirely banks on it's story.
#119 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

haters gonna hateeee

#120 Posted by DarkLink77 (31983 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Link?Karpetburnz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_%28PlayStation_3%29#Sales

"SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide.[144]"

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/43908/littlebigplanet-2/

I know this lolchartz, but it has LBP2 at 2.89 million. I have seen a more reliable link, but I can't find it.

Lolchartz also has Killzone 3 at 2.45 million.

Why is it considered unreliable? Do games sell more or less than what it says?

I think VGchartz under tracks sales a little, cause It has Xbox360 at 75 million even though its confirmed that it sold 77 million.

Im not sure if its the same for software sales though, but yea I considder VGchartz to be an estimate, But I dont think its to far off with sofware sales, It wont be accurate to the exact decimal, but I think it should be somewhat accurate.

VGChartz over and undertracks, and they don't update when publishers release numbers. I think it has RE5 selling two million more than what Capcom has on their website. It's mad unreliable.
#121 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9725 posts) -

[QUOTE="Karpetburnz"]

"SCEE President Andrew House announced at Gamescom 2010 that the game has now sold over 4.5 million worldwide."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_(PlayStation_3)#Sales

And this was back in 2010, Its 2013 now so is it that hard to believe that LBP has sold over 5 million? even VGchartz has LBP at 5.17 million but you shouldnt take that as a fact.

Karpetburnz

Because the only Sony exclusives that can sell over 2 millon are GT, Uncharted and God Of War. :roll: Even there about lot more that have sold 2 millon+ this generation.

Diddnt MGS4 sell over 5 million aswell?

Yes I think so.

#122 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9725 posts) -

Sony is brilliant. Took a failed director and turned him into goldmine video game producer.

#123 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Happily contributed to it. Had a real blast playing through it but unfortunately it was a one and done. Looking back at all the plot holes its a wonder I genuinely enjoyed myself the first time.

#124 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9725 posts) -

Happily contributed to it. Had a real blast playing through it but unfortunately it was a one and done. Looking back at all the plot holes its a wonder I genuinely enjoyed myself the first time.

whiskeystrike

This is what people don't understand. Even though the plot/story is bad looking back it was very good when you are experiencing it for the first time.

#125 Posted by mems_1224 (49338 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

StrongBlackVine

This is what people don't understand. Even though the plot/story is bad looking back it was very good when you are experiencing it for the first time.

sure, if you like terrible acting and quick time events
#126 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
It's not a good game, nor a good movie. Heavy Rain is just a big overrated confusing mess.
#127 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="lawlessx"]

Do people really still try to argue that games like heavy rain aren't games?

lawlessx

Yes.

well **** em.  i knew a guy that tried to tell me the Sims weren't games because they didn't have a ending or set goal.

People should try to be abit more opened minded.

ShadowMoses?

Yeah, he's an odd one. He even once said WOW wasn't a real game and then talked about how it COULD be a real game with like guns, perks, kill streaks, and what not.

#128 Posted by TheGrat1 (4251 posts) -
ITT: We find out who failed 1st grade arithmetic.
#129 Posted by Gue1 (11634 posts) -

didnt Journey bankrupt "thatgamecompany"?      The credibility of the OP's post is near zero im sorry to report. 

The reason why the journey devs are getting to make another game is because of all the awards they got. Journey wasnt profitable. 

lunar1122

you just have to be amazed by the stupidy on this forum. You need to see it to believe it.  :shock:

#130 Posted by ciorlandenis (320 posts) -

its not a real game anyway, just an interactive movie

#131 Posted by lunar1122 (688 posts) -

didnt Journey bankrupt "thatgamecompany"?      The credibility of the OP's post is near zero im sorry to report. 

The reason why the journey devs are getting to make another game is because of all the awards they got. Journey wasnt profitable. 

#132 Posted by hoosier7 (4070 posts) -

lunar1122
Journey was profitable, the bankrupt bit from that interview you're thinking of was part way through development due to poor cash flow. Not unheard of in game development given the cash only comes in on release. They never mentioned specifically how much profit was made but they definitely made profit.
#133 Posted by GulliversTravel (3062 posts) -
The game felt like a mess, the killer made no sense whatsoever.
#134 Posted by clone01 (25469 posts) -

haters gonna hateeee

Chris_Williams
Haters are going to Haiti? :P
#135 Posted by clone01 (25469 posts) -

[QUOTE="lunar1122"]

Gue1

you just have to be amazed by the stupidy on this forum. You need to see it to believe it.  :shock:

The game did put the company into bankruptcy. http://www.destructoid.com/journey-took-thatgamecompany-into-bankruptcy-244311.phtml
#136 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Saw this game at walmart for $20. At first I was all like "ooo should I buys?" but then I was like "nah" and casually backed away and walked off.

#137 Posted by OneInchMan99 (1248 posts) -

I've just started Heavy Rain today and already its a very refreshing experience.I imagine most people here knocking it have never come within a 100 miles of the game.

Its a great thing that we can have different types of games and that Sony are willing to fund such projects,if it were left to M$ and Nintendo we would be drowning in a sea of Mario and Halo.

#138 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

It had a $40M budget and yet half the cast of "American" characters were still played by shitty french voice actors? 

:|

Fvking useless ass Sony.

I swear Beyond better not have any shit french voice actors playing the roles of "American" character again.

A French voice actor playing the role of a french character is fine but don't ever attempt to shoe horn them into American characters.

At least pick a nationality that doesn't have a horrible accent while speaking English.

#139 Posted by MarthRingman (1104 posts) -
Didn't they cancel the DLC for Heavy Rain because it didn't sell enough? Either way, I'm glad to see this game did well.
#140 Posted by mems_1224 (49338 posts) -

Saw this game at walmart for $20. At first I was all like "ooo should I buys?" but then I was like "nah" and casually backed away and walked off.

Master_ShakeXXX
First good decision you've made in your life. congrats.
#141 Posted by OneLazyAsian (1698 posts) -

It had a $40M budget and yet half the cast of "American" characters were still played by shitty french voice actors? 

:|

Fvking useless ass Sony.

I swear Beyond better not have any shit french voice actors playing the roles of "American" character again.

A French voice actor playing the role of a french character is fine but don't ever attempt to shoe horn them into American characters.

At least pick a nationality that doesn't have a horrible accent while speaking English.

Rockman999

You have no clue what you're talking, do you? Sony didn't make Heavy Rain. This game was made by Quantic Dream. And Quantic Dream is, surprise suprise, French! Sony just funded the dam project. Next time, take some time to research about the game you are criticizing before you make an idiot of yourself.

#142 Posted by Blabadon (29240 posts) -

Gue1
The hypocrisy of this is even more funny given the incorrect title
#143 Posted by Lulekani (2151 posts) -

its not a real game anyway, just an interactive movie

ciorlandenis
Interactive Movies are games, Einstein ! Crappy as the story maybe in Heavy Rain, its interactive element makes it far more relavent to gaming than Final Fantasy or MGS4, they still borrow their story telling methods from movies.
#144 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12462 posts) -
I LOVED Heavy Rain. I really did. I thought it was a unique experience for this gen and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to their new game.
#145 Posted by zeeshanhaider (3070 posts) -

Idiots! The same could be experiece on youtube for free. Why shell $60 but then again all Sony exclusives are.

#146 Posted by Lulekani (2151 posts) -

Idiots! The same could be experiece on youtube for free. Why shell $60 but then again all Sony exclusives are.

zeeshanhaider
lol, same with every other game you can think of.
#147 Posted by NexApex (225 posts) -

I just purchased and finished Heavy Rain over the weekend. One of most beautiful and unique game I've ever played. Highly recommend getting the Director's Cut for all the extra videos (the Lauren clip is amazing), art work, commentary and motion compatibility. I'm glad it was profitable for Quantic Dream, they deserve it. Wish I would have played it when it first released, but I won't make that same mistake again with Beyond Two Souls.

#148 Posted by zeeshanhaider (3070 posts) -

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

Lulekani

lol, same with every other game you can think of.

Nope, console exclusives may be. But try doing the same with Startcraft 2.

#149 Posted by Gue1 (11634 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Blabadon

The hypocrisy of this is even more funny given the incorrect title

there is a difference between plain stupidity and trolling. Learn it.  ;)

and again, you see? The stupity in this forum is simply mindblowing, nobody is safe here!  :lol:

#150 Posted by ShadowsDemon (9550 posts) -

Nice to see a game that for once does something different from the mainstream get rewarded. Oh, and inb4 the predictable "movie game" bile from the haters.

nervmeister
I agree. I loved that game. I need to play through it again.