Halo kid...dead?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#301 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.0bscurity

His parents let him stay home and not go to school. They let him play, and become obsessed, with an M rated game. And they let him regularly play with REAL guns. It's absolutely their fault.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#302 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.0bscurity

why was there a gun in the house where the kid can find it? why keep a gun in the house and not tell your kid how to use it incase of an emergency? like i said before..if i had a kid that loved making fake guns and i had a real one in the house..i'd hide it somewhere he'd never find it.

im not saying this kid deserved to die,but you have to wonder how much attention was the parents giving this kid.

R0gu3Do0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#303 R0gu3Do0d
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

The kid was Skipping school... Playing with the gun was a common Pasttime thing for the kid... The parents should have done something about the kid skipping school or atleast keep the gun in a safe place where the kid can't get to when the parents are gone... and if they were not going to do that they should have taken proper care of the gun (taking the ammo out before putting it away... your not suppost to leave all the bullets in the gun when your not using it...)

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 lawlessx

[QUOTE="0bscurity"]How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.Ninja-Hippo

His parents let him stay home and not go to school. They let him play, and become obsessed, with an M rated game. And they let him regularly play with REAL guns. It's absolutely their fault.

i thought he played with fake guns and just happened to find a real one in the house :?

where did it say that he played with real guns regularly?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 Ninja-Hippo
"While at home skipping school Nimm was apparently trying to imitate moves from the game with his .22 caliber rifle (a common pastime for the child)."
R0gu3Do0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 R0gu3Do0d
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

[QUOTE="0bscurity"]How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.lawlessx

i thought he played with fake guns and just happened to find a real one in the house :?

where did it say that he played with real guns regularly?

in the article it says that it was a "common pastime" thing for the kid to play with the real gun...

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

"Skipping school" is completely irrelavent here, and the fact that he was imitating Halo is only a bit more relevant. The fact is, if he's a young boy, he's going to think sticks that make noise and put holes in walls are cool. Keep the guns away from the kid, and it won't matter if he plays Halo all day and skips school.

He'd be more likely to do it on purpose if he went to school. ;)

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 lawlessx

"While at home skipping school Nimm was apparently trying to imitate moves from the game with his .22 caliber rifle (a common pastime for the child)."Ninja-Hippo

whoops i must have skimmed passed that part. i thought it said it was a common pasttime for a child:P

so he's been playing with this gun for sometime now and not once did the parents inform him about a bullet still being in the gun after the clip being taken out?

seriously..WTF?

0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 0bscurity
Member since 2005 • 836 Posts

[QUOTE="0bscurity"]How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.Ninja-Hippo

Wow, really, you're that obtuse? When I skipped school I chose to do it, when I did something stupid as a kid I chose to do it, when I played games or watched movies I shouldn't have, bingo, I chose to do it. Were my parents there to try to stop me? Most definitely, but that doesn't change the fact that I still got around them and did it. You people act as if the parents put the gun in the kids hand and sent him out the door, it's absolutely ridiculous.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#310 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

"Skipping school" is completely irrelavent here, and the fact that he was imitating Halo is only a bit more relevant. The fact is, if he's a young boy, he's going to think sticks that make noise and put holes in walls are cool. Keep the guns away from the kid, and it won't matter if he plays Halo all day and skips school.

He'd be more likely to do it on purpose if he went to school. ;)

Tsug_Ze_Wind

He's eleven, not 3.

I think there is an age when we need to start taking responsibility for our actions, and an eleven year old who shoots himself is definitely past that age.

We shouldn't be passing the blame off to a game, or even to his parents. Sure, they should have kept the gun away from him, but once he had the gun, it's his own fault that he shot himself.

This is a terrible story, and I'm sorry for everyone involved, but that isn't proper justification for passing the blame off to his most likely distraught parents.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 Ninja-Hippo

Wow, really, you're that obtuse? When I skipped school I chose to do it, when I did something stupid as a kid I chose to do it, when I played games or watched movies I shouldn't have, bingo, I chose to do it. Were my parents there to try to stop me? Most definitely, but that doesn't change the fact that I still got around them and did it. You people act as if the parents put the gun in the kids hand and sent him out the door, it's absolutely ridiculous.

0bscurity

How am i being obtuse? An 11 year old child should not have the "choice" so skip school. His parents should make damn sure he goes and gets an education. Parents letting their kids play M-rated games isnt that uncommon; i know my parents used to let me watch movies beyond my age, simply because they had raised me to know i wasnt going to immitate them.

Had i watched Terminator and then become obsessed with it, made my own Terminator suit and started shooting things, pretendeding to be said-terminator, you can be sure they'd have put a stop to it. You cant allow your children to become obsessed with something like that.

And seriously.... you're going to defend them letting an eleven year old boy play with a .22 calibre rifle with live ammo?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 Ninja-Hippo

He's eleven, not 3.

I think there is an age when we need to start taking responsibility for our actions, and an eleven year old who shoots himself is definitely past that age.

We shouldn't be passing the blame off to a game, or even to his parents. Sure, they should have kept the gun away from him, but once he had the gun, it's his own fault that he shoot himself.

This is a terrible story, and I'm sorry for everyone involved, but that isn't proper justification for passing the blame off to his most likely distraught parents.

agentfred

A responsible parent would not allow a child to play with a gun, and live ammunition. As a result of being irresponsible and allowing a kid to play with a freakin' rifle unsupervised, this terrible accident happened. It is entirely their own fault.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts
He's eleven, not 3.

We shouldn't be passing the blame off to a game, or even to his parents. Sure, they should have kept the gun away from him, but once he had the gun, it's his own fault that he shoot himself.

agentfred

At 11? I'm not so sure. But he did have experience with a gun apparently.

It may not be the parents, but it's certainly not the fact that he didn't go to school.

R0gu3Do0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 R0gu3Do0d
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

[QUOTE="0bscurity"]How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.0bscurity

if the parents wanted to have the gun then its there responsability for what happens with it... If you have ever been in trouble with the law before 18 you know that your parents are legaly responsible for paying it and all that... same with keeping the gun away from the kid... If the parents could not handle keeping the gun away from the kid they should not be parents or not have a gun...

0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 0bscurity
[QUOTE="0bscurity"]

Ninja-Hippo

How am i being obtuse? An 11 year old child should not have the "choice" so skip school. His parents should make damn sure he goes and gets an education. Parents letting their kids play M-rated games isnt that uncommon; i know my parents used to let me watch movies beyond my age, simply because they had raised me to know i wasnt going to immitate them.

Had i watched Terminator and then become obsessed with it, made my own Terminator suit and started shooting things, pretendeding to be said-terminator, you can be sure they'd have put a stop to it. You cant allow your children to become obsessed with something like that.

And seriously.... you're going to defend them letting an eleven year old boy play with a .22 calibre rifle with live ammo?

lmao, desperation is setting in. People make their own choices every day, this child chose to play with a gun that unfortunately had live ammunition in it and lost his life because of it. There's no one to blame here. If you're so sure it's the parents fault would you go as far as to say we should prosecute them and put them on trial? What if the article was stating it was the video games fault, would you jump that band wagon too? And when did I say it was okay that an 11 year old with live ammunition is fine? There's no need to put words in my mouth. I don't think anyone needs to own a gun, but that's a whole other opinion that I simply don't wish to elaborate on.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 agentfred

At 11? I'm not so sure. But he did have experience with a gun apparently.

It may not be the parents, but it's certainly not the fact that he didn't go to school.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

I think by eleven, most kids understand the dangers that accompany playing around with a gun. He decided to ignore that, thinking he would be safe if he took out the magazine, and as a result, he is dead.

I don't mean to condemn this kid, because it's an awful shame, but it is his fault.

A responsible parent would not allow a child to play with a gun, and live ammunition. As a result of being irresponsible and allowing a kid to play with a freakin' rifle unsupervised, this terrible accident happened. It is entirely their own fault.

Ninja-Hippo

Could the parents have taken preventative measure to insure their child couldn't shoot himself? Of course.

Could this boy still be alive if they had? Probably.

Are they the most responsible parents? No. But once the gun was in the kid's hands, everything he did was up to him. He could have put the gun away, or not have gotten it in the first place, but he decided to play around with the single deadliest tool mankind has ever created.

Yes, the parents share some blame, but the majority of it has to be placed on the actual offender here, the boy.

0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 0bscurity
[QUOTE="0bscurity"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

[QUOTE="0bscurity"]How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.R0gu3Do0d

if the parents wanted to have the gun then its there responsability for what happens with it... If you have ever been in trouble with the law before 18 you know that your parents are legaly responsible for paying it and all that... same with keeping the gun away from the kid... If the parents could not handle keeping the gun away from the kid they should not be parents or not have a gun...

So in your eyes the parents should be in jail for manslaughter or at least awaiting trial?

R0gu3Do0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 R0gu3Do0d
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="0bscurity"]

0bscurity

lmao, desperation is setting in. People make their own choices every day, this child chose to play with a gun that unfortunately had live ammunition in it and lost his life because of it. There's no one to blame here. If you're so sure it's the parents fault would you go as far as to say we should prosecute them and put them on trial? What if the article was stating it was the video games fault, would you jump that band wagon too? And when did I say it was okay that an 11 year old with live ammunition is fine? There's no need to put words in my mouth. I don't think anyone needs to own a gun, but that's a whole other opinion that I simply don't wish to elaborate on.

The parents should be charged with negligence... they have a legal responsability for the kid and for the gun... how old are you... do you not understand legal responsabilities???

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 Ninja-Hippo

What are you talking about, desperation? :? I'm just giving my opinion. Jeez. No, i dont think they should be put on trial at all. I think they've suffered enough, and will have to live with this for the rest of their lives. But i think it's incredibly obvious that had they not allowed an 11 year old boy to play with a rifle regularly this would not have happened, and so, it is their fault.

The very act of giving a gun - never mind a rifle - to a child, with live ammo, is incredibly wreckless. I dont think the game is at fault at all, i think the parents are for being liberal enough to think that an 11 year old playing with a loaded rifle is acceptable.

If we're using the logic that "people make their own choices", should we let 11 year olds vote? Because apparently they're responsible enough to operate rifles.

R0gu3Do0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 R0gu3Do0d
[QUOTE="R0gu3Do0d"][QUOTE="0bscurity"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

[QUOTE="0bscurity"]How the hell is it the parents fault? It was an accident, it's so black and white.0bscurity

So in your eyes the parents should be in jail for manslaughter or at least awaiting trial?

as I said in my other post... Negligence...

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 Ninja-Hippo

Could the parents have taken preventative measure to insure their child couldn't shoot himself? Of course.

Are they the most responsible parents? No. But once the gun was in the kid's hands, everything he did was up to him. He could have put the gun away, or not have gotten it in the first place, but he decided to play around with the single deadliest tool mankind has ever created.

Yes, the parents share some blame, but the majority of it has to be placed on the actual offender here, the boy.

agentfred

My whole point is that the gun should never have been in his hands in the first place. An 11 year old boy should be playing with his friends, not firing rifles unsupervised. They were incredibly negligent to allow him to do so, and that is why this has happened.

R0gu3Do0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 R0gu3Do0d

What are you talking about, desperation? :? I'm just giving my opinion. Jeez. No, i dont think they should be put on trial at all. I think they've suffered enough, and will have to live with this for the rest of their lives. But i think it's incredibly obvious that had they not allowed an 11 year old boy to play with a rifle regularly this would not have happened, and so, it is their fault.

The very act of giving a gun - never mind a rifle - to a child, with live ammo, is incredibly wreckless. I dont think the game is at fault at all, i think the parents are for being liberal enough to think that an 11 year old playing with a loaded rifle is acceptable.

If we're using the logic that "people make their own choices", should we let 11 year olds vote? Because apparently they're responsible enough to operate rifles.

Ninja-Hippo

they had the legal responsiblilty over the gun... they should be on trial... If you get into a car crash and you kill some one you can be charged with manslaughter even if there your passenger...

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 Ninja-Hippo

they had the legal responsiblilty over the gun... they should be on trial... If you get into a car crash and you kill some one you can be charged with manslaughter even if there your passenger...

R0gu3Do0d

If you're driving irresponsibly to an unacceptable degree, sure. In situations such as this, most consider the grief and loss of a child to be enough.

R0gu3Do0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 R0gu3Do0d
[QUOTE="R0gu3Do0d"]

Ninja-Hippo

If you're driving irresponsibly to an unacceptable degree, sure. In situations such as this, most consider the grief and loss of a child to be enough.

Grief is not a sentace you will get in court... Someone died and its there fault for not taking steps to keep them safe... If someone gets hurt on your property you can be sued... if someone dies your responsible... I'm not the one that makes the law... I just know about it...

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 agentfred
[QUOTE="agentfred"]

Ninja-Hippo

My whole point is that the gun should never have been in his hands in the first place. An 11 year old boy should be playing with his friends, not firing rifles unsupervised. They were incredibly negligent to allow him to do so, and that is why this has happened.

The gun should not have been in his hands, the kid should not have been firing rifles unsupervised, the parents were incredibly negligent, but that is not why this happened.

This accident happened because the kid pulled a trigger when he shouldn't have. His parents didn't pull that trigger, they just made it possible for him to do so. Having the ability to stop an accident, and not doing so is not the same as causing the accident.

As much as you must hate these parents, think about how much they must hate themselves.

Why must every crime have a bad guy? Sometimes there isn't a bad guy that we can pin the blame on when terrible things happen, and then feel good about ourselves because "justice" has been served. Sometimes, life just sucks.

0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 0bscurity

The parents should be charged with negligence... they have a legal responsability for the kid and for the gun... how old are you... do you not understand legal responsabilities???

R0gu3Do0d

lmfao, you can't be serious? You think this would actually pass in court? It would be mistrialed and thrown out so god damn fast.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 Ninja-Hippo

Grief is not a sentace you will get in court... Someone died and its there fault for not taking steps to keep them safe... If someone gets hurt on your property you can be sued... if someone dies your responsible... I'm not the one that makes the law... I just know about it...

R0gu3Do0d

Actually grief is very much a sentence you get in court. Loads of manslaughter cases have ended with people being found guilty, but not sentenced to any prison time. The judge will often decide that simply living with what you've done is punishment enough.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 Ninja-Hippo

The gun should not have been in his hands, the kid should not have been firing rifles unsupervised, the parents were incredibly negligent, but that is not why this happened.

agentfred

That's exactly why this happened. Had the parents not been so incredibly irresponsible to allow an 11 year old boy to play with a loaded rifle, this would not have happened. Fact.

footfoe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#329 footfoe2
Member since 2007 • 3014 Posts
wow what an idiot, i have no sempath for him. I had guns in my house in i was 11 i don't see how that could happen unless it was on purpose
footfoe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#330 footfoe2
Member since 2007 • 3014 Posts

Ninja-Hippo
oh bull children arn't that stupid, if he was mentally challenged it would make sense but 11? i'm pretty sure its he should be expected to not shoot him self if left alone for a little while
0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 0bscurity
[QUOTE="agentfred"]

Ninja-Hippo

That's exactly why this happened. Had the parents not been so incredibly irresponsible to allow an 11 year old boy to play with a loaded rifle, this would not have happened. Fact.

Stating your opinions as fact, just goes to show how ignorant you're being on the whole situation.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 agentfred
[QUOTE="agentfred"]

Ninja-Hippo

You are absolutely correct on the second part.

They had the ability to stop this, but they didn't do it. Their kid is dead as a result.

But they didn't kill him.

He killed himself.

Irrespective of the negligence of his parents, this was entirely his fault. Instead of asking why the parents didn't do this or that, why don't we ask the most simple question possible?

Why did the kid shoot himself? The answer, no matter how it is spun, is that the kid was fooling around with a terrifyingly dangerous weapon, and made a terrible mistake. It wasn't his mom, it wasn't his dad, it wasn't Halo, it wasn't anyone other than himself.

Avatar image for 599USDollarsHEH
599USDollarsHEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 599USDollarsHEH
Member since 2006 • 62 Posts
[QUOTE="Mercenary848"][QUOTE="Dark-Pain"]

[QUOTE="Mercenary848"]This is sad, also some of the posts in this thread are disturbing.Dark-Pain

How is is sad? This kid skips school to imatate halo and kills him self with a REAL, FULLY LOADED GUN. IN HALO GUNS KILL. Did he not know. WHy did it shoot his head? Was he dumb enough to point it at his head. He deserved to die if he obviously pointed it at his head. He should have just played the game himself.

Its sad because someone lost a family member or friend(You do know what they are right). I know your type you try to be different and intellectual by condeming humanity and sympathy. Did those people that died at VT deserve it the shooter felt similar about the Human Race.

Well then the parent should have hidden the gun better. And maybe the kid should not have pointed the gun to his head and pull the trigger. People at VT died becasue someone sucidal killed them. They did not deserve to die. They could have become something good.They were not skipping shool and imitating a game. I feel sad for them. I went to to VT to light up the candles for them. THis kid deserved it. VT is diffrent.

You're sick in the head. Go see a doctor.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
that is sad. parents need to learn about ratings and know what games should be palyed.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
eh, people die everyday.
Blazzer105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 Blazzer105
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts
Shi* happens.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

that is sad. parents need to learn about ratings and know what games should be palyed. iam2green

I hope this is sarcastic/a joke.. Because he could be playing some kids army game such as a GI Joe.. And thought using the gun was cool.. The game had little to do with his death.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#338 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="agentfred"]

0bscurity

Stating your opinions as fact, just goes to show how ignorant you're being on the whole situation.

But he may be right. If the kid wasn't allow to play with real gun, the chances of this event happening to him would be very slim.

sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

that is sad. parents need to learn about ratings and know what games should be palyed. iam2green

I played GTA games when I was around 9... and I had such great fun with them, But did I ever have the urge to pick up a gun and start madly shooting at people? No...

This is all the childs fault, he knows what happens with a gun (Playing Halo and all)

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#340 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

[QUOTE="iam2green"]that is sad. parents need to learn about ratings and know what games should be palyed. sam280992

I played GTA games when I was around 9... and I had such great fun with them, But did I ever have the urge to pick up a gun and start madly shooting at people? No...

This is all the childs fault, he knows what happens with a gun (Playing Halo and all)

But his parents still shouldn't let him play with real guns. It their fault too.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts
We all know video game haters are going to use this as evidence against children playing video games like they've been doing.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
this is not system wars material.