GSC is closed, STALKER 2 cancelled

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]Don't worry. I'm sure another third-party studio like Activision will pick up the rights to the IP.Litchie

... don't worry? Please let STALKER die with GSC. :P

So you're saying it's better to let an IP die than let it go to Activision?
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#253 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
[QUOTE="Litchie"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]Don't worry. I'm sure another third-party studio like Activision will pick up the rights to the IP.nervmeister

Sometimes that might be for the better.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#254 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Piracy kills another PC developer. Sad, but unfortunately expected... :cry:

DerpyMcDerp

THe only expected thing here is you once again embarassing yourself

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
[QUOTE="Litchie"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]Don't worry. I'm sure another third-party studio like Activision will pick up the rights to the IP.nervmeister

No Activision. Please.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#256 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="Litchie"] ... don't worry? Please let STALKER die with GSC. :P

DragonfireXZ95

No Activision. Please.

I wouldn't mind if if THQ got it and maybe had 4A create a stalker game, that studio has a lot of ex-GSC employees.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#257 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Oh well at least we can look forward to metro last night.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="Litchie"] ... don't worry? Please let STALKER die with GSC. :P

DragonfireXZ95

No Activision. Please.

So am I getting the impression from you that Kotick is an aborted spawn of Satan in little gremlin pants who would mutilate beyond recognition everything that made Stalker great so much so that its imminent death would be a vastly more generous fate?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 DragonfireXZ95
Good news. It never was as good as others shooters (Killzone, CoD, Halo) anyway.WickoSicko
Yeah, maybe if you're a console peasant.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="nervmeister"] So you're saying it's better to let an IP die than let it go to Activision?nervmeister

No Activision. Please.

So am I getting the impression from you that Kotick is an aborted spawn of Satan in little gremlin pants who would mutilate beyond recognition everything that made Stalker great so much so that its imminent death would be a vastly more generous fate?

Activision wouldn't get the IP anyway, it will probably go to another European dev.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#261 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts
So, any news updates since last night?
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Fraaaaaaaaaaaak no. This sucks.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#263 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
[QUOTE="WickoSicko"]Good news. It never was as good as others shooters (Killzone, CoD, Halo) anyway.DragonfireXZ95

This x 1000
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#264 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="WickoSicko"]Good news. It never was as good as others shooters (Killzone, CoD, Halo) anyway.Juggernaut140

This x 1000

To be quite honest, I'd take Halo Reach over Shadow of Chernobyl, Call of Pripyat, and ESPECIALLY Clear Sky. The series is good, but it's not nearly as good as you're making it out to be. The potential of the series has yet to be fulfilled.
iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#265 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Yeah, maybe if you're a console peasant. drinkerofjuice
This x 1000

To be quite honest, I'd take Halo Reach over Shadow of Chernobyl, Call of Pripyat, and ESPECIALLY Clear Sky. The series is good, but it's not nearly as good as you're making it out to be. The potential of the series has yet to be fulfilled.

Having played the Halo games I can't disagree with you more. To me Halo isn't even in the same league as Stalker as a single player game, not even Clear Sky (which is fine with the bugs fixed). Halo's only saving grace is the multi, which is better than Stalker's almost non existent multi.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"][QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Yeah, maybe if you're a console peasant.

This x 1000

Well to be quite honest, I wouldn't. Reach was pretty mediocre as far as single player FPS games go. I was never into the MP, I do understand why people like it, but Stalker is about 10 times better as far as single player goes.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#267 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

To be quite honest, I'd take Halo Reach over Shadow of Chernobyl, Call of Pripyat, and ESPECIALLY Clear Sky. The series is good, but it's not nearly as good as you're making it out to be. The potential of the series has yet to be fulfilled.drinkerofjuice

You must be joking, SoC's single player is leagues beyond Reach, which isn't a good comparison because Reach isn't even the best in its own series.

WickoSicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 WickoSicko
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"] To be quite honest, I'd take Halo Reach over Shadow of Chernobyl, Call of Pripyat, and ESPECIALLY Clear Sky. The series is good, but it's not nearly as good as you're making it out to be. The potential of the series has yet to be fulfilled.Lucianu

You must be joking, SoC's single player is leagues beyond Reach, which isn't a good comparison because Reach isn't even the best in its own series.

Halo 3 is much better than SoC, though.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"] To be quite honest, I'd take Halo Reach over Shadow of Chernobyl, Call of Pripyat, and ESPECIALLY Clear Sky. The series is good, but it's not nearly as good as you're making it out to be. The potential of the series has yet to be fulfilled.WickoSicko

Not even close buddy.

Try playing Stalker before you talk.

Unless you're one of those sissy men who can't take dying a few times. I've seen people complain about how hard the Stalker games are, and I just call them sissies.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"] To be quite honest, I'd take Halo Reach over Shadow of Chernobyl, Call of Pripyat, and ESPECIALLY Clear Sky. The series is good, but it's not nearly as good as you're making it out to be. The potential of the series has yet to be fulfilled.WickoSicko

SoC takes a massive dump on halo 3 easily.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 DraugenCP

Well, to join in on this hissy fit, I honestly can't think of one single player FPS that trumps Shadow of Chernobyl. I'd consider Arma 2, but the single player of that game is quite bugged and oddly paced, and it's more the editor where it's at anyway.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Lucianu

Halo 3 is much better than SoC, though.WickoSicko

Let me get this out of the way - The lore of Halo is the best i've ever seen in console shooters, ever, the MP is what it is(as vaguely as that sounds, it's a positive thing though), but the campaigns were never anything big to me. These campaigns.. i guess are decent, (i think Halo 2 is the best, though i'm probably alone on this one), but they are irrefutable trash compared to STALKER.

SoC is the best single player in a first person shooter that i have ever played, not because of the story, but because i lost countless hours in its incredibly detailed world that is portrayed in this uniquely crafted game. It's a campaign that i can't express in words. It would just take pages upon pages to accurately describe what this single player trully is, it's basically better experienced then listening to another guy talking about it. Shamefully, i didn't play it sequels as much, but i did play SoC countless time, modded and unmodded.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 iamrob7

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

LOL, level 1 trolling at its finest. Halo 3 can't even begin to compete with Stalker SOC in terms of single player. It's like a teenage boy v Mike Tyson.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 DraugenCP

According to the official Stalker Facebook page, an official statement will be released on Monday.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 Lucianu

Well, to join in on this hissy fit, I honestly can't think of one single player FPS that trumps Shadow of Chernobyl. I'd consider Arma 2, but the single player of that game is quite bugged and oddly paced, and it's more the editor where it's at anyway.

DraugenCP

There are two hybrids that give it a run for its money - Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Deus Ex 1, though these games are so vastly different, it'll be bound mearly on preferance. But Chronicles of Riddick has created a excellent prison-like atmosphere that rivals the thickness of Shadow of Chernobyl's post-apocaliptic-nuclear-survival atmosphere.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#276 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Yeah, maybe if you're a console peasant. drinkerofjuice
This x 1000

Well I own two Killzone games, all the COD games and all the Halo games.. and Stalker >>> all of those by a HUGE margain.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 DraugenCP

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Lucianu

There are two hybrids that give it a run for its money - Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, and Deus Ex 1, though these games are so vastly different, it'll be bound mearly on preferance. But Chronicles of Riddick has created a excellent prison-like atmosphere that rivals the thickness of Shadow of Chernobyl's post-apocaliptic-nuclear-survival atmosphere.

I've only played the first hour or so from Butcher Bay, and while it was promising, I can't really tell yet if it's in the same league as Stalker.

Another game that comes to mind now is Cryostasis. Not so much for its gameplay (which was good but nothing too special), as for its god-tier plot and storytelling, as well as the terrific atmosphere. Too bad it runs like crap on nearly every PC with an ATI card.

WickoSicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 WickoSicko

[QUOTE="WickoSicko"]Halo 3 is much better than SoC, though.Lucianu

Let me get this out of the way - The lore of Halo is the best i've ever seen in console shooters, ever, the MP is what it is(as vaguely as that sounds, it's a positive thing though), but the campaigns were never anything big to me. These campaigns.. i guess are decent, (i think Halo 2 is the best, though i'm probably alone on this one), but they are irrefutable trash compared to STALKER.

SoC is the best single player in a first person shooter that i have ever played, not because of the story, but because i lost countless hours in its incredibly detailed world that is portrayed in this uniquely crafted game. It's a campaign that i can't express in words. It would just take pages upon pages to accurately describe what this single player trully is, it's basically better experienced then listening to another guy talking about it. Shamefully, i didn't play it sequels as much, but i did play SoC countless time, modded and unmodded.

I respect your opinion, but there is a reason Halo 3 scored 9.5 while SoC only managed 8.5. It's a decent game, but nowhere near HALO quality.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 DraugenCP

I respect your opinion, but there is a reason Halo 3 scored 9.5 while SoC only managed 8.5. It's a decent game, but nowhere near HALO quality.WickoSicko

Really, scores is the best argument you can come up with?

Get out of here, Stalker.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
So who is going to have the IP ? Activision ?
WickoSicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 WickoSicko

[QUOTE="WickoSicko"]I respect your opinion, but there is a reason Halo 3 scored 9.5 while SoC only managed 8.5. It's a decent game, but nowhere near HALO quality.DraugenCP

Wait, what was that?
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Lucianu

I've only played the first hour or so from Butcher Bay, and while it was promising, I can't really tell yet if it's in the same league as Stalker.

Another game that comes to mind now is Cryostasis. Not so much for its gameplay (which was good but nothing too special), as for its god-tier plot and storytelling, as well as the terrific atmosphere. Too bad it runs like crap on nearly every PC with an ATI card.

DraugenCP

The mediocre to sub-par gunplay is the only thing i didn't like about Butcher Bay, though that flaw doesn't take away from every positive aspect it has (especially since it's hybrid Adventure/Steath with FPS elements), but besides those, overall, there are a lot of small details put into the game that is better left experienced, i can assure you though that there are a lot of surprises for you in store given that you only played roughly a hour. I don't think it's in the same league (for one, it's a shorter experience, the prolonged adventure-like feel i had in STALKER is one of the reasons i like it), but it is close.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 DraugenCP

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Lucianu

The mediocre to sub-par gunplay is the only thing i didn't like about Butcher Bay, though that flaw doesn't take away from every positive aspect it has (especially since it's hybrid Adventure/Steath with FPS elements), but besides those, overall, there are a lot of small details put into the game that is better left experienced, i can assure you though that there are a lot of surprises for you in store given that you only played roughly a hour. I don't think it's in the same league (for one, it's a shorter experience, the prolonged adventure-like feel i had in STALKER is one of the reasons i like it), but it is close.

Well, I didn't dare going back to the game after that nightmare-inducing knife fight, but I'll be sure to check it out soon enough.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 iamrob7

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Lucianu

Deus Ex is my actual GOAT, for some reason I never really gave Chronicles of Riddick a try. Maybe because I didn't think much of the films or maybe because the combat seemed a little chunky. I did play it for an hour but I never got into it. The fact that you are bringing it up in the same breath as Stalker and Deus Ex is making me think I might give it another try.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 iamrob7

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

[QUOTE="WickoSicko"]I respect your opinion, but there is a reason Halo 3 scored 9.5 while SoC only managed 8.5. It's a decent game, but nowhere near HALO quality.WickoSicko

Wait, what was that?

Deus Ex also scored 8.2 I think, it happens to be the greatest game I've ever played. Comparing it to the single player in any Halo game I've played is so laughable it should actually be a puncline for something. Likewise with Stalker. Multiplayer is the only that gives Halo real relevance.

Rezze16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Rezze16
Member since 2005 • 124 Posts

Yep..it's over. An offical statement will be given Monday..

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Lucianu

Deus Ex is in a league of its own aswell, one of my GOATs. Butcher Bay is a hard game to describe, because ever portion works in balance together, i remember that knife fight, which you'll be surprised to know is the only 'blemish' of its kind that you'll find right there, after that, it's smooth sailing.

In a nutshell, i guess i could say that the main aspect of this game is surviving in a gruesome prison magnified by a thick atmosphere that'll stick with you, in which you'll use stealth (trough a wide array of environments) to stalk your enemies and attack them at a opportune time (either slitting their throat, breaking their neck, impaling them with a screwdriver, pulling their weapons and positioning it at their jaw ultimately blowing their head, pushing them off a tall place hearing them scream wile they die, and so on depending on what you're holding, and were you are). Unless you're in a few areas that require a gun fight, or two, which is good enough for what it is, though could have ben much better.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#288 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Wait, wait... so if I'm getting this right.... the guys who made the best FPS of the generation got shut down because of corruption? :|

And what's with all the idiots who said that the franchise was killed by not being on consoles? Do they seriously think the series was so high budget that 5 million sales couldn't cover the costs of development?

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 iamrob7

Wait, wait... so if I'm getting this right.... the guys who made the best FPS of the generation got shut down because of corruption? :|

And what's with all the idiots who said that the franchise was killed by not being on consoles? Do they seriously think the series was so high budget that 5 million sales couldn't cover the costs of development?

Barbariser

Yes there is obviously more to it than we realise or know about. A Franchise that has sold 5 million on the PC alone not being able to get a console publishing deal if they wanted is obviously completely ridiculous.

On top of that it is not like Ukraine has the highest wage bills in the world and the Stalker games were hardly laden with all that much voice acting etc.

It's clear something else has gone on here and they've used whatever excuse to hide it.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#290 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

iamrob7

Yes there is obviously more to it than we realise or know about. A Franchise that has sold 5 million on the PC alone not being able to get a console publishing deal if they wanted is obviously completely ridiculous.

On top of that it is not like Ukraine has the highest wage bills in the world and the Stalker games were hardly laden with all that much voice acting etc.

It's clear something else has gone on here and they've used whatever excuse to hide it.

The statements they've released so far said that "one member of law enforcement seized money" or something like that. I'm having a bit of trouble with the translations, but that seems like some kind of police corruption to me. What a terrible way for a game company to go down.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

Barbariser

The statements they've released so far said that "one member of law enforcement seized money" or something like that. I'm having a bit of trouble with the translations, but that seems like some kind of police corruption to me. What a terrible way for a game company to go down.

Thats the Ukraine for you its infamous for corruption and political strife.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#292 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Good news. It never was as good as others shooters (Killzone, CoD, Halo) anyway.WickoSicko
You're glad that people lost thier jobs? You're a horrible person.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts

Thats the Ukraine for you its infamous for corruption and political strife.razgriz_101

Screw Iraq, let's send troops to Ukraine!!

If we can get Stalker 2 to release eventually, well, we'd have gotten more out of it than some other wars!

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts
[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="WickoSicko"]Halo 3 is much better than SoC, though.WickoSicko

I respect your opinion, but there is a reason Halo 3 scored 9.5 while SoC only managed 8.5. It's a decent game, but nowhere near HALO quality.

You do realise when SoC was reviewed it was quite a buggy version. Ever hear of Stalker Complete mod? At any rate PC has higher standards, according to Gamespot ;)
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
This is the worst day in gaming news in years. STALKER is easly one of my favorite series of all time. I have really no words right now. Im shocked. Im sure I feel the same way as a lot of other fans of this series. I guess all I can say now is thanks for the gaming memories.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#296 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

A Franchise that has sold 5 million on the PC alone not being able to get a console publishing deal if they wanted is obviously completely ridiculous.

iamrob7

Actually it's not ridiculous. Look at current market, unless you're a huge developer that makes one monstrous hit after another you will have extremely hard time finding anyone who will give you big budget. Notice how independent developers (ie..not owned by publishers) are pretty much extinct on consoles nowadays? THat's because if publishers are going to risk this kind of money (not just development, but also couple dozen mlns on advertising) they are only willing to do so for their in-house dev.

Meanwhile you had GSC, which not only owned the IP and had no intention of giving it away (which alone is enough to make majority of publishers immiedietely loose any interest in that project), but also has zero intention of casualizing their franchise. They've said many times that just because they are going multiplat doesn't mean they would make the game more mainstream,

Put it all together and it would be much bigger surprise if they would be able to find console publisher willing to fund the development.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

sad news, another quality developer disappeared.

on the side note: If I remember correctly, stalker: SOC took 5 years to finish, that's an execcdingly long time for a such big budget game, and the sales on PC of course, will never justify. (with the exception of blizzard which has the budget to do the marketing)

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="WickoSicko"][QUOTE="Lucianu"]

ducati101

You do realise when SoC was reviewed it was quite a buggy version. Ever hear of Stalker Complete mod? At any rate PC has higher standards, according to Gamespot ;)

:lol: at comparing halo to stalker, just :lol:

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#299 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="ducati101"][QUOTE="WickoSicko"] I respect your opinion, but there is a reason Halo 3 scored 9.5 while SoC only managed 8.5. It's a decent game, but nowhere near HALO quality.wis3boi

Stalker is way beyond any Halo. Haven't played Reach or ODST though.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ducati101"] You do realise when SoC was reviewed it was quite a buggy version. Ever hear of Stalker Complete mod? At any rate PC has higher standards, according to Gamespot ;)GeneralShowzer

Stalker is way beyond any Halo. Haven't played Reach or ODST though.

I stopped at Halo 2, after reading the novels, I cant stomach the games anymore. And yea, gimmie stalker any day