GSC is closed, STALKER 2 cancelled

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

GSC joins Black Isle I suppose.

In other news Bethesda buys Stalker IP.

DraugenCP

It would be like Oblivion with Guns!

Like Fallout 3 then?

if anyone is to buy it, i would like it to be bethesda
why? because mod tools and despite the hate they get, they can pull off an immersive open world rpg

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#152 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Meh, can't say I care about the game, but I hope the members of the studio land on their feet.

Peredith

I'll give it kudos for having awesome atmosphere but it just wasn't fun and involved way too much running back and forth. And the time limits on quests? Yeah, that was dumb too.

But man, when I went underground for the first time and couldn't see six inches in front of me, and there were mutated growls I felt chills man.

It's just odd that law enforcement wanted control of the company. That's what has me most curious (cuz I wasn't going to buy STALKER 2 anyway).

Side quests sucked in Shadow Of Chernobyl. It was all about the mainquest. Call Of Pripyat had incredible sidequests though. Every single one was different.

I only have Shadow of Chernobyl. I may try Call of Pripyat if the mood strikes me.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#153 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] It would be like Oblivion with Guns!HaloinventedFPS

Like Fallout 3 then?

why? because mod tools and despite the hate they get, they can pull off an immersive open world rpg

Meh.

They did that with The Elder Scrolls, but Fallout 3 is crap. I'd rather if anyone makes a new STALKER that Obsidian takes over. If they learn how to polish their games they'll be the best in the business. Period. Awesome ideas, entertaining stories and characters, compelling worlds. Obsidian's awesome. Minus their buggy-ass releases.

Avatar image for heeeeeeeeeweeee
heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 heeeeeeeeeweeee
Member since 2011 • 2083 Posts

Idsoftware needs to release quake and doom and new hexen.

NOT OUTSOURCED TO ANOTHER DEV.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#155 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] It would be like Oblivion with Guns!HaloinventedFPS

Like Fallout 3 then?

At least the games would still be buggy. But seriously, I doubt any American/Western-European can create that awkward Eastern-European charm. Case in point once more being Operation Flashpoint.
heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 heeeeeeeeeweeee

sick of these iron sight army games.

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

sick of these iron sight army games

heeeeeeeeeweeee

You do realise this is Stalker, not cod?

heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 heeeeeeeeeweeee

My friend barly plays games but he loves black ops he's a casual for sure.

He'd get owned in quake bring back the skill based shooters.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

heeeeeeeeeweeee
it's not an army game, troll harder
heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 heeeeeeeeeweeee

[QUOTE="heeeeeeeeeweeee"]

wis3boi

It plays more like call of duty than it does quake.

iron sight shooters are slow paced boring casual games.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

I don't really get why people are so enthusiastic about the idea of the IP ending up in someone else's hands. Doesn't anyone remember what happened to Operation Flashpoint? As for 4A, I can't see why they would want the series when they already have a franchise that is aesthetically close to it. Despite the two games being rather different in terms of design, I still think it'd be like fishing in the same, not too big pond. Besides, Metro 2033 was good, but not nearly as great as STALKER.DraugenCP

I somewhat agree. Don't get me wrong, I loved Metro, But Stalker had a different spirit in the sense that it didn't rely on the post-apocalyptic genre in the same way many other works and Metro did. There was no end of the world, just a community who chose to live their lives in the dangerous environment of Chernobyl in order to reap its benefits.

Sure there was that sci-fi element put into it, but the world still differentiated itself from a lot of that overused post-apocalyptic setting. How the world was built was marvelous, hell, the very world was the antagonist of the game. But anyway, I know you loved the series so I don't even know why I'm telling you this, it's just that it's such a disappointing news.

That said, I'm not even that worried about where the IP will go or what will happen to it. I'm much more worried about the team. There's talent there to even surpass the experience we've had with Stalker--I want to know what's going to happen with that talent.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="heeeeeeeeeweeee"]

heeeeeeeeeweeee

It plays more like call of duty than it does quake.

iron sight shooters are slow paced boring casual games.

Wtf... Quake plays more like COD than Stalker plays like COD. GTFO

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts
[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

I blame consoles

KC_Hokie
Some people in this thread tried to. And I'm not joking.

That was only in retaliation to some dumbasses claiming that the series didn't sell on PC.
Legacy-of-Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Legacy-of-Todd
Member since 2011 • 539 Posts

:cry:

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#165 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]I don't really get why people are so enthusiastic about the idea of the IP ending up in someone else's hands. Doesn't anyone remember what happened to Operation Flashpoint? As for 4A, I can't see why they would want the series when they already have a franchise that is aesthetically close to it. Despite the two games being rather different in terms of design, I still think it'd be like fishing in the same, not too big pond. Besides, Metro 2033 was good, but not nearly as great as STALKER.StealthSting

I somewhat agree. Don't get me wrong, I loved Metro, But Stalker had a different spirit in the sense that it didn't rely on the post-apocalyptic genre in the same way many other works and Metro did. There was no end of the world, just a community who chose to live their lives in the dangerous environment of Chernobyl in order to reap its benefits.

Sure there was that sci-fi element put into it, but the world still differentiated itself from a lot of that overused post-apocalyptic setting. How the world was built was marvelous, hell, the very world was the antagonist of the game. But anyway, I know you loved the series so I don't even know why I'm telling you this, it's just that it's such a disappointing news.

That said, I'm not even that worried about where the IP will go or what will happen to it. I'm much more worried about the team. There's talent there to even surpass the experience we've had with Stalker--I want to know what's going to happen with that talent.

Well, Metro and Stalker often get compared due to the similar aesthetics and post-apocalyptic settings, but I felt the games were very different apart from that. Not only because one was linear and the other was not, but also because Stalker focused on creating a deep loneliness and desolation, whereas Metro 2033 was more about human hope surviving even the darkest times. But yeah, I'm kind of hoping that some of the old GSC guys will form their own company and start working on a new IP (which is actually how 4A got started, if I'm not mistaken).
ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

dont care

it was going to be on consoles anyway, so it would have sucked and ruined the franchise

glad it died with a perfect legacy

HaloinventedFPS
You do realise the PC version was lead with the console version being a port.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Nooooo!!! This is the worst day all year for gaming =[ Christ. Now what will I do to sate my Stalker addiction?
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 StealthSting

Well, Metro and Stalker often get compared due to the similar aesthetics and post-apocalyptic settings, but I felt the games were very different apart from that. Not only because one was linear and the other was not, but also because Stalker focused on creating a deep loneliness and desolation, whereas Metro 2033 was more about human hope surviving even the darkest times.

DraugenCP

Indeed. Despite the open gameplay and everything else, that's really what made them so different, because Metro focused on the end of the world and the possible extinction of the species. In Stalker, the world is just fine, there's no need for hope and there's no despair present in humanity. The Zone is just there with its dangers and the characters of the story are there because they made their decision to live there--either for scientific reasons and or profit.

There's no sense of despair, outside of the communities that formed and made their choice to live their lives in The Zone. The writing and setting doesn't focus on the old--humanity is going to die, you're the only hope for it, that's why you should care about the characters and universe of this game. The universe in Stalker breaks away from that, it brings the player in and immerses him/her for different reasons.

But yeah, I'm kind of hoping that some of the old GSC guys will form their own company and start working on a new IP (which is actually how 4A got started, if I'm not mistaken).

DraugenCP

I hope so too, and yeah, I think that's what happened to 4A.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

http://twitter.com/gscstalker

Doesn't say anything about it here

Peredith

And it has a link to a poll or something to decide on things about the next stalker? just 12 hours ago. hmm.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#170 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

That's some harsh news. I haven't played the STALKER games but I know they have a dedicated and loving fanbase. My condolences.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#171 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
I hate this planet so much.
Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Peredith

[QUOTE="Peredith"]

http://twitter.com/gscstalker

Doesn't say anything about it here

firefluff3

And it has a link to a poll or something to decide on things about the next stalker? just 12 hours ago. hmm.

It must of happened so suddenly. I think members of GSC Gameworld got arrested. :shock:

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Peredith

Looked so epic too :cry:

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

dont care

it was going to be on consoles anyway, so it would have sucked and ruined the franchise

glad it died with a perfect legacy

ducati101

You do realise the PC version was lead with the console version being a port.

ive heard that too many times

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It has been told before and i say it again, PC gaming is dying. What is next PC developer to close?:P

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 StealthSting

Looked so epic too :cry:

Peredith

Looks awesome. If that is an emission, that basterd better find shelter fast :lol: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYsu-j7aKIM&feature=related

Now I feel like booting up Stalker--but can't, unfortunately.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

That really is unfortunate. I've never had the privilege of playing STALKER, but I've heard some great things. I know they're a great developer who obviously didn't deserve this. Maybe someone else will pick up STALKER 2, or some of the team will join up with a new team to make it. I don't know, just wishful thinking.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
I'm sorry, never seen this many hermits cry at one time... Toughen up guys, Diablo 3 is coming, soon yall will be looting chests, trading armor and forgetting all about Stalker.
Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Peredith

I'm sorry, never seen this many hermits cry at one time... Toughen up guys, Diablo 3 is coming, soon yall will be looting chests, trading armor and forgetting all about Stalker.Spartan070

PC gamers are not the only people losing out. Console gamers are losing out too, if the game had lived up to expectations.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

And not a single smile was given that day.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I'm sorry, never seen this many hermits cry at one time... Toughen up guys, Diablo 3 is coming, soon yall will be looting chests, trading armor and forgetting all about Stalker.

Diablo doesn't have sh*t on STALKER
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#182 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#183 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Wow did not expect that how does that even happen given the relatively low budgets of the stalker games and the millions of copies they sold looks like a serious misuse of profits and bad management.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#184 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

It has been told before and i say it again, PC gaming is dying. What is next PC developer to close?:P

aroxx_ab

On the contrary, it seems to be all the console developers closing their doors and not the PC devs. There are less PC dev studio closures than there are with consoles by a long shot and there are tons new developers poping up for the PC all the time.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I came here looking for a great troll thread. I left whying so hard.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#186 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

That's terrible news. However seeing as the franchise was such a success, 5 million stalker games sold. I expect someone will revive the series somehow.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I'm sorry, never seen this many hermits cry at one time... Toughen up guys, Diablo 3 is coming, soon yall will be looting chests, trading armor and forgetting all about Stalker.Juggernaut140

Wow, never thought I'd here that from anyone.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

that's sad to hear. though i've never had the opportunity to play any of their games, from what i saw of them in videos and trailers they looked phenomenal. i'm sure i'll get a chance to play them one day.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#189 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I'm sorry, never seen this many hermits cry at one time... Toughen up guys, Diablo 3 is coming, soon yall will be looting chests, trading armor and forgetting all about Stalker.Spartan070

Wait until the Cows start Crying when they Cancel The Last Guardian, seems to be heading to that direction unfortunately.

@Topic

Such a shame, about it.

kodman4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 kodman4
Member since 2011 • 37 Posts
awww that sucks
Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Peredith

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I'm sorry, never seen this many hermits cry at one time... Toughen up guys, Diablo 3 is coming, soon yall will be looting chests, trading armor and forgetting all about Stalker.Juggernaut140

I agree. Stalker could have been one of the greatest franchises ever, if Stalker 2 was as good as SoC.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
http://ya-stalker.ru/execluzive/1325-kak-gsc-obstavila-vsex-ili-unikalnyj-piar-xod.html was it a pr stunt?
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#193 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
This better be a f*cking false rumor.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#194 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Never heard of it so couldnt care less

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

finalstar2007
You never heard of Stalker?
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#196 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
Maybe they can open a donate thingy. Help fund our game type thing, I'll do it.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#197 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE
You never heard of Stalker?

It's not on his plastic wife, why would he know of it? :P
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#198 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

This better be a f*cking false rumor.Stevo_the_gamer
Nope, there is a blog from a 1c honcho that confirmed it.

sloppy translation blog

Now that's SW material.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
wow... that sucks..why did it close down? inb4 pc pirates killing pc gaming
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

That IP has to be worth a decent amount of money. I read that they sold 4 million STALKER games, so it isn't like this is some minor IP. The head guy would be crazy not to sell the STALKER name and all the STALKER related assets (including computers with the current build of the game) to some other developer or publisher.