Gamespot contradictions. The Luigi Mansion review.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deathmasterk
Member since 2006 • 716 Posts

So a 6.5 for lack of checkpoints and spikes in difficulty? Hmmm..... didnt GTA IV score a perfect 10? yeah.....

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Ignoring GTAIV's 10 being based upon hype, that's not how reviews work. It didn't get that score for that sole reason.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Different reviewer, different genre, different consoles, different time, pretty much different everything. Review seems a bit harsh, but Caro has her opinion. All it is.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
she's pretty bad at reviewing games and i bet you she would give the next WiiU's Yoga game an 8+.
david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts
Won't let the score affect my decision, will be picking it up at launch
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

it got a 6.5? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Comparing reviews is stupid. Especially when theyre done by different people
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Comparing reviews is stupid. Especially when theyre done by different peopleCapitan_Kid
Gamespot wouldn't be nearly as fun without the but hurt fuelled conspiracy theories. They keep me coming back.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

So a 6.5 for lack of checkpoints and spikes in difficulty? Hmmm..... didnt GTA IV score a perfect 10? yeah.....

deathmasterk

Comparing Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS to GTA IV?

864.jpg

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

This game was hyped like crazy but a 6.5? hm

anyways reviews are just numbers, get the game if you want it

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

deathmasterk

I can't even begin to understand your point here. Checkpoints? GTA IV? Wat?

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

deathmasterk
What the hell are you even trying to say here?
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

Don't be so butthurt, get over it

Scores are arbitrary; fun can be had with any game

deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deathmasterk

gta4 needed checkpoints so bad it wasnt even funny, fail a mission, hey lets spend 10 minutes driving across the city just to retry the mission again!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Different reviewer, different genre, different consoles, different time, pretty much different everything. Review seems a bit harsh, but Caro has her opinion. All it is. darkspineslayer

All that needs to be said.

Get over it, TC.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R3FURBISHED

gta4 needed checkpoints so bad it wasnt even funny, fail a mission, hey lets spend 10 minutes driving across the city just to retry the mission again!

deathmasterk

you poor soul, I guess you missed the option that popped up on your phone to put you back in the exact location directly in front of the previous mission. That and they also sent a taxi to your spawn point in case you wanted to do it that way...or you had the option to go do something different entirely.

deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deathmasterk
[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

[QUOTE="deathmasterk"]

you poor soul, I guess you missed the option that popped up on your phone to put you back in the exact location directly in front of the previous mission. That and they also sent a taxi to your spawn point in case you wanted to do it that way...or you had the option to go do something different entirely.

saw it every time and still had to drive alot or whatever till you actually get to the heart of the mission, but im comparing reasons for a demerit on a review not games!
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R3FURBISHED

saw it every time and still had to drive alot or whatever till you actually get to the heart of the missiondeathmasterk

My initial reaction

Your problem, TC, is that you don't like the basic gameplay designs of open world games

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#19 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

the reviewer is awful at playing video games; I have reasoned this through watching her or him try to play a variety of games on the Live segments. it's painful to see such a great game (85 on metacritic) get brought down so low by someone who is incompetent at video games as a whole. granted, it is one opinion, but I cringe at it nonetheless. 

deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deathmasterk

[QUOTE="deathmasterk"]saw it every time and still had to drive alot or whatever till you actually get to the heart of the missionR3FURBISHED

My initial reaction

Your problem, TC, is that you don't like the basic gameplay designs of open world games

sorry i stood in line at midnight for gta4 and happen to think its a masterpiece, easily one of the best games this gen. btw i already had gta5 reserved and paid for so try again.
EzcapeTheFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EzcapeTheFate
Member since 2010 • 1063 Posts
Flop confirmedl
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Different reviewer, different genre, different consoles, different time, pretty much different everything. Review seems a bit harsh, but Caro has her opinion. All it is. darkspineslayer

This... what a pointless thread.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#23 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
GameSpot gives lower scores than other critics in an attempt to "be more professional". Sometimes it works, other times it just doesn't. I can't quite decide which is which, ever.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#24 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

So it's a 6.5 because of no check points? Although it maybe because of the controls.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

So it's a 6.5 because of no check points? Although it maybe because of the controls.

LegatoSkyheart
I don't see how controls are an issue. People HATED Kid Icarus because of it's controls, while I had no problem. She needs to get better at games. I don't know how she rated Dark Souls so high. Surprised she could even get past the first stage. You want checkpoints? You need to EARN them. Hell, a lot of the time, old games didn't save. You had to beat games like Mario Bros 1,2,3, Castlevania 1, etc all in ONE sitting.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

YoshiYogurt
I don't see how controls are an issue. People HATED Kid Icarus because of it's controls, while I had no problem. She needs to get better at games. I don't know how she rated Dark Souls so high. Surprised she could even get past the first stage. You want checkpoints? You need to EARN them. Hell, a lot of the time, old games didn't save. You had to beat games like Mario Bros 1,2,3, Castlevania 1, etc all in ONE sitting.

Yeah when you gotta go back to 80s game design to defend something, pretty sure she has a legit critiscism. 80s games were like an hour long, so they slaughtered you over and over again and were stingy with checkpoints to lengthen the game. Happily we no longer have to do that, we have tons of content in our games and don't need the artificial lengthening.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

As always reviews are opinions...

Am sure many will enjoy the game so for those interested just forget abt bad reviews and get the games you really want !!

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
EuroGamer gave it a 9 they are usually pretty close to the mark with most there reviews.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

locopatho

Yeah when you gotta go back to 80s game design to defend something, pretty sure she has a legit critiscism. 80s games were like an hour long, so they slaughtered you over and over again and were stingy with checkpoints to lengthen the game. Happily we no longer have to do that, we have tons of content in our games and don't need the artificial lengthening.

I highly suspect the review just didn't agree with that design choice rather than the choice being outright bad.

A lack of check pointing isn't inherently bad. It's that kind of one-dimensional thinking that has created design convergence patterns that are exclusive rather than inclusive. Not having check pointing in a game can have provide a unique kind of stress on the player when they enter a new section they haven't played but without a safety net. It gets even more amazing when the new section is even harder than what came before and filled with things you hadn't seen. I am sure many people can relate to the sweaty-palm white-knuckle brilliance when you overcome moments like this by 'unlocking your zen' and unleashing all this pent up skill you didn't know you even had.

Next-generation consoles look like they will have the ability to hold game states (forgoing the need to have the game save around every corner). When that happens this near-lost aspect of game design might make a return.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#30 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I wonder if they draw peoples names out of a hat and say go on review this. She probably wasn't that good at it and therefore just shoved a 6.5 to it.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

the reviewer is awful at playing video games; I have reasoned this through watching her or him try to play a variety of games on the Live segments. it's painful to see such a great game (85 on metacritic) get brought down so low by someone who is incompetent at video games as a whole. granted, it is one opinion, but I cringe at it nonetheless. 

Dead-Memories

I have to agree, she seems to complain about difficulty in almost every review.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

Yangire

The odd thing is that people are calling it brilliantly inventive--Nintendo at its finest.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Honestly I know everyone loves Mario and Luigi, but come on how much more can Nintendo continue to ride the Mario train and expect great results every time or even the fans for that matter? Its like expecting all the other washed out milked franchises of this generation ton continue to score 9+ ratings. ITS TIME TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW FOR F**** SAKES. Honestly. So Luigi goes around and scoopes up ghosts just like the ghost busters did back in the 80's. How original! This is the problem with the industry, everyone is getting lazy. Just getting a high score because you are part of the Mario universe should be completely ignored.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#34 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

Yangire

To be fair, the game is rated 'E' for 'Everyone', which means it is targeted at an audience with a large range of ages and abilities, including young children.  If the game has some problematic difficulty that can lead to frustration, then it's right for the reviewer to highlight that for the casual and younger audience.  Not everyone has to be 'great' at playing video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
I find it stupid that difficulty effects reviews. Especially considering Dark Souls/Demon Souls got praised for it, yet both those games have some of the cheapest, mindless difficulty mechanics in existance.
Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#36 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I find it stupid that difficulty effects reviews. Especially considering Dark Souls/Demon Souls got praised for it, yet both those games have some of the cheapest, mindless difficulty mechanics in existance.MBirdy88

Dark Souls is rated 'M' for 'Mature', so harder difficulty would not be an issue for that kind of audience.  We're talking about a game rated 'E' which is playable by young children, and that makes a huge difference.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]I find it stupid that difficulty effects reviews. Especially considering Dark Souls/Demon Souls got praised for it, yet both those games have some of the cheapest, mindless difficulty mechanics in existance.

Of course difficulty affects reviews. A game with zero challenge can be boring, and a game that's too hard can be frustrating. Demon's/Dark Souls did difficulty in a fun way. So do certain genres like sims and roguelikes. A difficult game that is still well balanced and fun, is somewhat rare.
Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

why dont you just look at all the other reviews it got and base you decision on those, Skyward sword got a 7.5 here but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
GTA4 is the ultimate example of bribed reviewers. It got 10 everywhere yet most people I know couldn't bring themselves to finish it. The driving and shooting mech antics were worse than some shovel ware games.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
GTA4 is the ultimate example of bribed reviewers. It got 10 everywhere yet most people I know couldn't bring themselves to finish it. The driving and shooting mech antics were worse than some shovel ware games.BigBoss255
:|
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Nintendo games should be judged by standards from 5 years ago....got it.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Do not take this site's reviews seriously. The people in charge aren't even gamers. They're like the equivalent of a gamestop employee.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Does complaining about the review make the game any different than what it is? Stupid thread.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
You give a sh*t about scores?
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts
[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]GTA4 is the ultimate example of bribed reviewers. It got 10 everywhere yet most people I know couldn't bring themselves to finish it. The driving and shooting mech antics were worse than some shovel ware games.faizan_faizan
:|

I doubt they were bribed but he's right. I am still only a 40% story completion. I sadly bought into the hype...
FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

All the positive reviews outweigh the one Negative on this site, So obviously its a good game. Dont let it get to you.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
6.5? Lawl....
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
stop comparing reviews from like 4 years ago to today. Reviewers were different too.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Different reviewer, different genre, different consoles, different time, pretty much different everything. Review seems a bit harsh, but Caro has her opinion. All it is. Rocker6

This... what a pointless thread.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

Gallowhand

To be fair, the game is rated 'E' for 'Everyone', which means it is targeted at an audience with a large range of ages and abilities, including young children.  If the game has some problematic difficulty that can lead to frustration, then it's right for the reviewer to highlight that for the casual and younger audience.  Not everyone has to be 'great' at playing video games.

I don't think that matters at all. If anything, kids have much more time to play games than adults and more difficult games should be encouraged. Most of the games I am playing and beating now are much, much easier than the games I played and beat as a kid.