Gamespot contradictions. The Luigi Mansion review.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

I never understood why outliers are always demonized. Isn't it important to get a wide range of perspectives? If Carolyn found the game frustrating to play, then it's likely that there will be other people who feel the same way. Reviews are supposed to be subjective, and it will be inevitable that for most games there will be people who love it and those who hate it. It's important to probably understand their points of view to get a better composite picture of the quality of the game.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

gta4 needed checkpoints so bad it wasnt even funny, fail a mission, hey lets spend 10 minutes driving across the city just to retry the mission again!

deathmasterk
you know you could take a taxi to bring you instantly back?
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

So, compared to the new Castlevania game, Luigi's Mansion is even worse? Oh god, time to sell my 3DS again...every game i waited for over a year, very patiently i might add, has flopped in the extreme. Now, what else do i have to look forword to this year for 3DS?

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
The review is quite laughable, but honestly who cares. I can't wait to play it..
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#105 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

So, compared to the new Castlevania game, Luigi's Mansion is even worse? Oh god, time to sell my 3DS again...every game i waited for over a year, very patiently i might add, has flopped in the extreme. Now, what else do i have to look forword to this year for 3DS?

Videodogg

:lol: Rich is what that is. 

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

So a 6.5 for lack of checkpoints and spikes in difficulty? Hmmm..... didnt GTA IV score a perfect 10? yeah.....

deathmasterk
I wouldn't take the Gamespot reviews seriously. Metacritic has an overall score of 85. Gamespot has the lowest score on the list of more respectable gaming journalist.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#107 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Isn't it a port of a 90s game? These Luigi and Mario fellas seem familiar. 6.5 is generous.
Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts
Someone's got their jimmies rustled :P
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
So much whining in this thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The number system needs to go.. No one knows or gives a fvck the difference between a 8.5 and 9.0.. There is no basis between the two which would give it one or the other.. We need a system like a 5 star system.. 1 being poor, 2 being average, 3 being good, 4 being great, and 5 being amazing.. There is no "perfect" score, there is no seven shades of crap (most are not going to buy a game that scored across the board 7's and lower, inless it has been heavily patched or changed) and there is no meaningless differences between .5's.. Or even less.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#111 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9628 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

So it's a 6.5 because of no check points? Although it maybe because of the controls.

locopatho

I don't see how controls are an issue. People HATED Kid Icarus because of it's controls, while I had no problem. She needs to get better at games. I don't know how she rated Dark Souls so high. Surprised she could even get past the first stage. You want checkpoints? You need to EARN them. Hell, a lot of the time, old games didn't save. You had to beat games like Mario Bros 1,2,3, Castlevania 1, etc all in ONE sitting.

Yeah when you gotta go back to 80s game design to defend something, pretty sure she has a legit critiscism. 80s games were like an hour long, so they slaughtered you over and over again and were stingy with checkpoints to lengthen the game. Happily we no longer have to do that, we have tons of content in our games and don't need the artificial lengthening.

I disagree with this on many levels. Sure, that was the case with some games... Games today are way to easy. Kids with their make believe ADD can not sit still long enough to actually beat a genuinely hard segment of a game without check points and save spheres every 5 feet. Some games back in "the 80's" were crap in the fact that they were almost impossible... it would not have mattered if there were save points or not if you could not get to them... lol. However, that was not the case in the majority of the ones that were decent. Also, most of the side scrolling shooters or games that could be beaten within 1 hour were limited to lack of AI making a lot of segments memorization more than being just plain too hard. I can think of a bunch of games that were every bit as long as games we have around today.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I never understood why outliers are always demonized. Isn't it important to get a wide range of perspectives? If Carolyn found the game frustrating to play, then it's likely that there will be other people who feel the same way. Reviews are supposed to be subjective, and it will be inevitable that for most games there will be people who love it and those who hate it. It's important to probably understand their points of view to get a better composite picture of the quality of the game.

nintendoman562

thats all fine and good, but when people start looking at the few negative reviews as "the only ones that are honest" is when it starts getting stupid. As if being overly negative on a game give you more credibility

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#113 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

The number system needs to go.. No one knows or gives a fvck the difference between a 8.5 and 9.0.. There is no basis between the two which would give it one or the other.. We need a system like a 5 star system.. 1 being poor, 2 being average, 3 being good, 4 being great, and 5 being amazing.. There is no "perfect" score, there is no seven shades of crap (most are not going to buy a game that scored across the board 7's and lower, inless it has been heavily patched or changed) and there is no meaningless differences between .5's.. Or even less.sSubZerOo

I agree, but I'd actually strip it down to just using the words - poor, average, good, etc.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#114 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa....they gave it a 6.5??!!?!

Gamespot. What a bunch of idiots.

I mean how else would they get noticed if they didn't post the one high profile contradicting score? At least they know who they really are: More concerned with shock value for the sake of notariaty than in reviewing integrity. Can't wait to pick up my 9.3 reviewing Luigi's Mansion 2 tomorrow.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#115 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Whatever, it just one damn review, or more like one score. Also it seems quite a few people still don't get that GS doesn't go from 10 and reduce it from there.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="deathmasterk"]

So a 6.5 for lack of checkpoints and spikes in difficulty? Hmmm..... didnt GTA IV score a perfect 10? yeah.....

Valknut4

I can't even begin to understand your point here. Checkpoints? GTA IV? Wat?

GtaVI had those same problems, how is this hard to see? Not to even bring up the extreme **** that is the PC port. I mean come on... Bank mission anyone? Ya I loved doing that 10 times over an over starting from the start of the mission, /vomit.

I thought the bank mission in GTA IV was one of the best levels in any video game I have ever played. If the whole game was like that it would be my favorite game of all time. I just got tired of all of the easy "follow a car" or "drive here and shoot some guy, then run from the cops and easily get away" missions that made the majority of the game. I still really liked it, though. I would have scored it a 9.0.
Rayne718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Rayne718
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

I picked up the game at the nintendo world launch event today, been playing for a bit and I honestly don't see this difficulty she's talking about. She's on crack, or she just can't play video games properly. Game isn't hard AT ALL so far. Doubt it will be spiking. Game is amazing by the way. If you're on the fence about this game, dont be. Pick it up. Enjoy it. Love it. 

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

Don't care.  Still getting the game.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
lol GTA IV, u know rockstar had to be giving GS some money back then. i think this site has revitalized it's image after Gerstmanngate, but yes some of their reviews are bad (on all plats)
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Isn't it a port of a 90s game? These Luigi and Mario fellas seem familiar. 6.5 is generous.SolidSnake35

How is a sequel a port?

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#121 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I'm sorry but you people are made about one review? Ugh... I seriously can't believe this. Pathetic. Sure whatever it is unjustified but it is one review. I'm sure plenty of you are guilty for the same things. Reviews are opinions.
youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#122 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

it got a 6.5? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Chris_Williams
lol
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

I thought it sounded reasonable. If a game is frustrating for stupid reasons then it should be judged for that. A sh*tty checkpoint system is certainly something to knock big points off of a game for. Lord knows I hate having to be forced to play through the same level multiple times.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44722 Posts
it's at least good to know why they didn't like it, personally I think it might add some extra game time to have to replay large sections, otherwise with checkpoints like right before every encounter could maybe make one blow through a game too quickly... then again I hope it's not so frustrating that I agree with the reviewer, but I don't hate the reviewer for having this view, at least they said why, otherwise it still seems like they liked a lot else and that just reaffirms my commitment to get it tomorrow
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts
Whine. Lots and lots of whine. Just stop and pick it up the damn game when it's released. The obsession over scores in this place is ridiculous.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

deathmasterk
One game isn't quite like the other. Time, writers etc. Time to hop off your angry pedastle - and I agree with any sentiment that GTA IV isn't a GS 10/10 game. Also, 10 =/= perfect.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
[QUOTE="deathmasterk"]

gta4 needed checkpoints so bad it wasnt even funny, fail a mission, hey lets spend 10 minutes driving across the city just to retry the mission again!

savagetwinkie
you know you could take a taxi to bring you instantly back?

LOL
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
lol at wanting checkpoints.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#129 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Leaving to pick this game up in a few minutes. Can't wait to hear that bro humming with the music again. :D