Gabe Newell - AppleTV is Steam Box's Biggest Threat, NOT Consoles

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Delicious linkage

"The threat right now is that Apple has gained a huge amount of market share, and has a relatively obvious pathway towards entering the living room with their platform," Newell said. "I think that there's a scenario where we see sort of a dumbed down living room platform emerging I think Apple rolls the console guys really easily. The question is can we make enough progress in the PC space to establish ourselves there, and also figure out better ways of addressing mobile before Apple takes over the living room?"

How on the ball is this guy? I'm not sure the Steam Box will be a smash success, but he does understand the real threat to his business plans. Ever wondered how Microsoft and Sony are feeling about the Wii U's slow start out of the gates?...

"I think a whole bunch of hardware companies are going to be releasing products in the next 12 months you'll hear it referred to as Miracast, [Project] Shield from Nvidia, or lots of other people," Newell said. "There are going to be a huge set of products that say, 'If you want something that's incredibly cheap, at a price point well below anything that consoles will be able to reach, you're going to take advantage of the PC that's running somewhere in your house.'

"It's like one of those things where afterwards it will seem like it was very simple, when beforehand, everyone sort of denied that it was possible," Newell said.

"The biggest challenge, I don't think is from the consoles," Newell said. "I think the biggest challenge is that Apple moves on the living room before the PC industry sort of gets its act together."

What does the forum think? I love sharing news of respected video game industry figures acknowledging the threat of Apple, lol. So much more in the article -- read read read.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

There's an Apple TV?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I don't see the connection with Apple, unless Steam starts offering TV and movies.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
I don't see the connection with Apple, unless Steam starts offering TV and movies. clyde46
Except that every game you play on your idevice can be wirelessly streamed to your AppleTV and played on your HDTV. Some games have native support and allow you to use the idevice as a steering wheel or a controller.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't see the connection with Apple, unless Steam starts offering TV and movies. clyde46

AppleTV allows you to stream games from Apple devices to the TV in addition to shows and movies.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"]I don't see the connection with Apple, unless Steam starts offering TV and movies. musicalmac
Except that every game you play on your idevice can be wirelessly streamed to your AppleTV and played on your HDTV. Some games have native support and allow you to use the idevice as a steering wheel or a controller.

Oh, show's how much attention I give Apple stuff :lol: Well, in that case, Gabe's on the ball.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

What's a "Steam Box" ?

GameCube-sized PC/console with superpowers?

Also, will it come with H-L3, TF3 and C-S Source 2.0 and support all teh vast Steam game library and cost less than 599 US dollars?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

How much is a Steambox, anyway? I might consider one if it's dirt-cheap.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clyde46

What's a "Steam Box" ?

Also, will it come with H-L3, TF3 and C-S Source 2.0 and support all teh vast Steam game library and cost less than 599 US dollars?

nameless12345
Its more of a label that companies can slap on the side of their own product.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I actually have never seen an Apple TV in real life. Always heard about it on iTunes, but never seen it.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

What's a "Steam Box" ?

nameless12345
It's like what Android is to smartphones.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 musicalmac  Moderator
It's like what Android is to smartphones.funsohng
Except Gabe is hoping his company makes some money from it.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

How many people out there interested in Apple TV?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46

FireEmblem_Man
Its Apple, it will sell.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 musicalmac  Moderator

FireEmblem_Man
It's reported that Apple sold 2 million of them in the last quarter of 2012. There are quite a few out there, and they're not a tough sell at only 99USD.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

clyde46

Its Apple, it will sell.

It's apple without steve jobs though, Iphone 5 wasn't exactly super successful compared to the rest of the iphone line.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

GD1551

Its Apple, it will sell.

It's apple without steve jobs though, Iphone 5 wasn't exactly super successful compared to the rest of the iphone line.

I know, but people are still buying Apple stuff. But Jobs was the man.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 musicalmac  Moderator

GD1551
Apple still rakes in upwards of 71% of the mobile industry's profits. I think it was fairly successful...
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Hasn't apple stock lost like half its value the last few weeks?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

musicalmac

It's reported that Apple sold 2 million of them in the last quarter of 2012. There are quite a few out there, and they're not a tough sell at only 99USD.

Well then, how many of those 2 million are using the Apple TV as a game console?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clyde46

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

FireEmblem_Man

Well then, how many of those 2 million are using the Apple TV as a game console?

You thinking it wrong, this isnt about gaming. Its about the TV being the entertainment hub. Apple already have the Apple TV box, Gabe wants to get the PC in there before Apple gain a foothold in the market.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
I think this guy is pretty delusional if he thinks he's in competition with Apple. I love Steam, but I see Steambox as a colossal waste of time and resources for Valve. I'm not sure if they are directly investing in hardware or what, but if they are it's probably a waste. It won't catch on. Even hardcore PC gamers won't care because they will just continue gaming on their custom built's. Casual gamers will stick with console... and if there is an Apple product (not counting Apple TV), the whole idea of a steambox is practically a non-starter outside of a very small niche. If Apple puts marketing $$$ and effort into it... then there wouldn't even be competition between Steam and Apple. Average people wouldn't even know Steambox exists compared to an Apple product.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 musicalmac  Moderator

FireEmblem_Man
That's irrelevant. What's true is that Apple has a lot of these boxes already in homes for a variety of reasons. If they decide to flip the switch on making it a more capable gaming item (and decide to include that in the marketing), you can bet Gabe won't be the only guy starting to sweat. Given how many young people wanted idevices for Christmas this year, Apple is in a very good position to give MS, Nintendo, and Sony a new problem to deal with. Apple already killed Sony's Walkman and Microsoft's Zune, and is likely responsible in some part for Nintendo's problems with the Wii U (besides the fact that it's not compelling).
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"] It's reported that Apple sold 2 million of them in the last quarter of 2012. There are quite a few out there, and they're not a tough sell at only 99USD.clyde46

You thinking it wrong, this isnt about gaming. Its about the TV being the entertainment hub. Apple already have the Apple TV box, Gabe wants to get the PC in there before Apple gain a foothold in the market.

The Apple TV that has been around for a few years, is not what people refer to when they expect Apple to create Apple iTV or whatever. The current Apple TV is not really much different than an ROKU player... and is not really of any significance as far as Apple's products are concerned.

Of course nobody really knows if Apple has anything else up their sleeve. The rumors about a new Apple TV have been for a couple of years, so it might be that they have nothing at all to bring to that market.But Analysts seem to keep bringing it up, and not just as a minor device (like the current Apple TV)... but actualy as Apple's "next big thing" after the IPOD, IPHONE, IPAD has to be I-TV. So it's almost like Apple HAS to do something about it LOL. 

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 musicalmac  Moderator

The Apple TV that has been around for a few years, is not what people refer to when they expect Apple to create Apple iTV or whatever. The current Apple TV is not really much different than an ROKU player... and is not really of any significance as far as Apple's products are concerned.

2Chalupas
That's not necessarily true. Apple's been opening it up slowly over time to be more important in their lineup. AirPlay is a much bigger deal than many people understand, and it's not even necessary to have a computer to stream any purchased music or movies with the Apple TV. It's in a place to make more waves than any other set-top box, something Gabe gets.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

musicalmac

Apple still rakes in upwards of 71% of the mobile industry's profits. I think it was fairly successful...

I said in comparison to the rest of the line... not to anyone else.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

I have AppleTV and I love it. I can stream anything to my TV from my iPad, Mac, or PC. And, I can use it to watch Hulu and Netflix on my TV. All from a device that costs $99 and is a little bit bigger than a deck of cards.

What I mainly use if for is Airplay. I have my AppleTV's audio out going through an optical cable to my receiver, and the video out through HDMI (again, through my receiver). So, when I have guests over (I entertain a lot), I can put sports or whatever on the TV; and with my receiver, change the audio source from HDMI to the same optical in my AppleTV uses. What that lets me do is use my iPad as a wireless "jukebox", and play songs through my sterio system while letting people watch TV.

Also, I can then use Airplay when I switch over to AppleTV and stream music videos from my computers or iPad to my TV.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

wouldn't technically the WiiU be in that same market? It does pretty much what Apple TV does except for the iTunes store.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 musicalmac  Moderator

GD1551
It was super successful. It set sales records at many major retailers and moved more than 5 million in the first weekend it was available. They also sold record numbers of iPhone 5 models in the 2012 holiday season. It's been significantly successful, even when compared to past iPhone launches.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

musicalmac

It was super successful. It set sales records at many major retailers and moved more than 5 million in the first weekend it was available. They also sold record numbers of iPhone 5 models in the 2012 holiday season. It's been significantly successful, even when compared to past iPhone launches.

although despite that, their stock went down big time.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clyde46
[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

musicalmac
That's not necessarily true. Apple's been opening it up slowly over time to be more important in their lineup. AirPlay is a much bigger deal than many people understand, and it's not even necessary to have a computer to stream any purchased music or movies with the Apple TV. It's in a place to make more waves than any other set-top box, something Gabe gets.

Agreed. When the first Apple TV came out, everyone laughed because it was lacking features that other units had. Apple have continued to slowly make it better and now look where it is. Apple have a uncanny nack of making something just work.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 musicalmac  Moderator

although despite that, their stock went down big time.

LegatoSkyheart
Which is a phenomenon not entirely related to sales, because this past holiday quarter was record setting for a number of reasons, and their net revenue was still higher than many other competing companies received in gross revenue. Citing stock performance isn't always a reliable method of evaluating company performance, especially with the economic situations that plagued the government and the fact that Apple's stock has been an anomaly for a long time.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
Exciting times ahead of us. New fan factions emerging, who will be left dead on the battlefield?
Allthishate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Allthishate
Member since 2009 • 1879 Posts

WHY IS THIS FAT SLOB TALKING ABOUT USELESS **** WHEN HALF LIFE 3 IS STILL NOT EVEN 'OFFICIAL'. FAT **** SORT YOUR PRIORITIES PLZ.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Apple TV may be the most sucessful gaming platform with the worst line up of games. iOS games are light years behind what's available on Steam. And Apple has absolutely no first-party talent.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Seriously? I don't see the future of gaming being people streaming Angry Birds from their iPads to their tv's...

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musicalmac  Moderator

Eh no. The actual reasons WiiU has been doing not so great (so far at least) are:

• The name. The name confuses many people (those not in the know of gaming). They just think it's a new controller for the old Wii. PS1-PS2-PS3, Xbox-Xbox 360, iPhone 3-iPhone 4-iPhone 5, etc make it easy to identify the product/brand and also realize which version is oldest and which version is the newest.
  • Pricing. The basic WiiU model is, for the lack of better wording, a rip-off . The decent pack, the Deluxe Pack is 350. For comparison, and even though they are much older consoles, Sony just announced a bundle with a 500 Gb HDD, all 6 God of War games (Ascension included) and a 30 day PS+ trial at the same price. That's a lot of bang for your buck. And MS also has many, many similar packs at even cheaper prices. So it's still a bit expensive, especially when you consider the next factor:
  • Lack of big games by Nintendo. Seriously, this is the main reason consoles sell or don't sell. Nintendo miscalculated the effect of not having must-get games day 1. However they have announced their guns, and the road until E3 (with E3 being the "grand show" per say) will unveil more about said games, create hype and (hopefully) when they release generate hardware sales boosts.

As much of an impact Apple has on the mobile world (which as far as gaming goes is also somewhat debatable since the 3DS has been doing pretty well), the AppleTV has yet to make any sort of impact on home consoles, nor does WiiU's bad performance have any possible correlation with Apple (well beyond theories that is). 

-------------------------------

Personally I don't think all in one products are quite ready to take over the living room(although they are progressing on that path, that's 100% true) since from my experience while some actually work nicely they just feel like....they miss focus? I dunno, but they still don't provide the same quality of services as individual home consoles, tv providers or whatever else they might fit into the box. They just happen to provide them all in one box. Maybe in a couple of years, with more companies trying to get that market things will be different, but for now that's how I feel about it.

Desmonic
I didn't say the reason the Wii U was doing poorly is exclusively due to Apple, I said I'll bet Apple played a part, given how badly kids and teens wanted idevices for Christmas.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 musicalmac  Moderator

Maybe. They don't negate each other however. Wanting an iPhone does not stop a kid from wanting a WiiU (or whatever), and vice-versa. It comes down to a matter of what the parents (or the teens, assuming they already have their own money) want to pay for :P A phone is more useful than any console so I can see it winning against almost any other product really. A tablet? So-so. To some I can see it being more important, to some I can see it being less. But if we go down this path we won't come to any worthwhile conclusion :P

Desmonic
I didn't say they negated each other, in fact I argued that it was part of a bigger reason. If a kid wants an iPhone and a Wii U, I'm guessing the iPhone will win plenty of those battles. The Nintendo has other problems, but Apple is certainly one of the big ones.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Yeah, I think he's pretty much on the ball regarding this kind of stuff. To be honest I really thought Apple would have been there already. If they don't get their soon the might have waited a little to late to really have the kind of overwhelming impact they might have had otherwise.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
I love Mac and his normal reply of kids want idevices for Christmas, when according to Buzz marketing they are losing there cool with teens http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2013/01/09/is-apples-iphone-no-longer-cool-to-teens/
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Apple TV may be the most sucessful gaming platform with the worst line up of games. iOS games are light years behind what's available on Steam. And Apple has absolutely no first-party talent.

PinkiePirate

I think what he is saying is that if AppleTV (and it's future competitors) take of, then the idea of having a PC running your living room will go bye-bye; esentially limiting things like SteamBox to being "just another pre-built PC".

The games, I think he is assuming, will come with popularity of the platform.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

StormyJoe

I think what he is saying is that if AppleTV (and it's future competitors) take of, then the idea of having a PC running your living room will go bye-bye; esentially limiting things like SteamBox to being "just another pre-built PC".

The games, I think he is assuming, will come with popularity of the platform.

Thats correct. TV is starting to become more than just a means to watching broadcasted content, its the central entertainment hub in the home. Internet, movies, games, all from one device so to speak.
megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
When Gabe talked about the horizontal structure of his company and where he wanted to take Valve in terms of user-generated content, it was a fantastic talk. When he was taking jabs at Apple (Steambox with forced integration of Steam is different from Mac OSX store integration exactly how?) and the console manufacturers (because Steam integrates my friends from every other service, right?), I lost interest.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I just looked up AppleTV since I had no idea what it is and if that is what Valve is shooting for then Valve's iteration will be much more appealing to me since iTunes is trash and I have stopped using it entirely since it gets worse and worse after each update. I would have no interest whatsoever to play mobile games on a TV so the fact that the Steambox has actual games that I would want to play and have already invested in makes the AppleTV obsolete.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Well he's right. Next gen consoles will be the last. The world has changed and hardware is getting more advanced every year. People want the latest tech new phones, tablets, laptop etc. Seven year cycle for consoles just wont do anymore. Those who don't game on PC will be streaming games that's a fact.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Yeah, I think he's pretty much on the ball regarding this kind of stuff. To be honest I really thought Apple would have been there already. If they don't get their soon the might have waited a little to late to really have the kind of overwhelming impact they might have had otherwise.

amaneuvering

Apple and windows are not good friends. XD This is why Apple is not there yet.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Apple dominance would be the worst scenario. I don´t know more money grabbing and suit addicted company than Apple, M$ comes the second.

I am with Valve all the way.