Gabe Newell - AppleTV is Steam Box's Biggest Threat, NOT Consoles

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Should put down the chicken leg and work on Half Life 3.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
I have an Apple TV but I've never used it to play games.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Apple's on the way out, the jobs magic isn't there anymore and people are not buying the bullsh1t.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Maybe. They don't negate each other however. Wanting an iPhone does not stop a kid from wanting a WiiU (or whatever), and vice-versa. It comes down to a matter of what the parents (or the teens, assuming they already have their own money) want to pay for :P A phone is more useful than any console so I can see it winning against almost any other product really. A tablet? So-so. To some I can see it being more important, to some I can see it being less. But if we go down this path we won't come to any worthwhile conclusion :P

Desmonic

I didn't say they negated each other, in fact I argued that it was part of a bigger reason. If a kid wants an iPhone and a Wii U, I'm guessing the iPhone will win plenty of those battles. The Nintendo has other problems, but Apple is certainly one of the big ones.

But if we want to go down that road, not only Apple is a problem but also any major phone company (the ones that do have an impact worldwide that is), any major tablet producer (Apple included obviously), etc. There are many, many products that triumph over any given console, just by either being much more useful (phones) or just being actually needed (even clothes can easily beat a console :P ). So if we really want to go down that path, we will need to include a ton of other companies/products to Nintendo's, Sony's and MS's problems (and even Apple's problems as well).

As far as home consoles go though, we can't really say either company is (so far) in direct competition or causing problems to each other. 

We could do so in tablet department though, and Apple certainly made more than just a dent to the handheld gaming scene, 3DS has been the exception more than the rule. If Apple came out with a variation of their iPad (or even a new tablet altogether) just dedicated to gaming (by this I mean strong hardware and just a basic version of the iOS to concentrate all resources into the games) even the 3DS would be in deep trouble. We both know it would sell like crazy since Apple knows how to advertise and hype their products better than almost anyone.

Apple is not doing well regarding smartphones ans tablets. They are loosing the war because of their closes OS and money grabbing approach vs Android.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts
causal box comfrimed
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

causal box comfrimedosirisx3
so its like the current consoles?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

causal box comfrimedosirisx3

I don´t care about that. Steam boxes wont compete against gaming PCs, but will complement them, because both Steam and PC will share a common gaming platform, Steam. So there wont be stupid exclusivity regarding games. Desktop PCs will be able to play everything steam boxes have to offer. Finally PCs and consoles will be coexisting and not competing with each other.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#58 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I love Mac and his normal reply of kids want idevices for Christmas, when according to Buzz marketing they are losing there cool with teens http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2013/01/09/is-apples-iphone-no-longer-cool-to-teens/Duckyindiana

Your article was written in 2013. The image I linked was in reference to the holiday season on 2012. This isn't relevant to my statement about the holidays at all. The article you linked also says 67% of teens are looking to buy an iPhone next, followed by 22% of teens looking to Samsung. Did you even read your own article? Did you think critically before contributing? I would question both of these.

Apple's on the way out, the jobs magic isn't there anymore and people are not buying the bullsh1t.

ReadingRainbow4
Everything you said is here is wrong.
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]I love Mac and his normal reply of kids want idevices for Christmas, when according to Buzz marketing they are losing there cool with teens http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2013/01/09/is-apples-iphone-no-longer-cool-to-teens/musicalmac

Your article was written in 2013. The image I linked was in reference to the holiday season on 2012. This isn't relevant to my statement about the holidays at all. The article you linked also says 67% of teens are looking to buy an iPhone next, followed by 22% of teens looking to Samsung. Did you even read your own article? Did you think critically before contributing? I would question both of these.

ReadingRainbow4

Except it's not.

Atleast apple can go into clean energy when the deck of cards comes tumbling down, The spinning jobs must be making in his grave is enough to power the whole of Nevada.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 musicalmac  Moderator

Except it's not.

Atleast apple can go into clean energy when the deck of cards comes tumbling down, The spinning jobs must be making in his grave is enough to power the whole of Nevada.

ReadingRainbow4
It's not true. You can say whatever you want, but it just displays how little you know. Your choice.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Meh. Don't care about anything Apple does unless they take over everything and I essentially have no choice but to buy their products.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

I have an Apple TV but I've never used it to play games.RyanShazam

Honestly, until this thread, I didnt know you could play games on it. I never used it for that!

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 StormyJoe

I just looked up AppleTV since I had no idea what it is and if that is what Valve is shooting for then Valve's iteration will be much more appealing to me since iTunes is trash and I have stopped using it entirely since it gets worse and worse after each update. I would have no interest whatsoever to play mobile games on a TV so the fact that the Steambox has actual games that I would want to play and have already invested in makes the AppleTV obsolete.

BPoole96

Airplay is what made AppleTV relevant. Look on page #1 of this thread, and you can see how I am using it. It's pretty cool.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]I have an Apple TV but I've never used it to play games.StormyJoe

Honestly, until this thread, I didnt know you could play games on it. I never used it for that!

It's not designed for playing games. It allows Apple devices to use a TV as the primary display. it could be used for games on iOS devices or just plain OSX and apps on a Mac.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]I love Mac and his normal reply of kids want idevices for Christmas, when according to Buzz marketing they are losing there cool with teens http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2013/01/09/is-apples-iphone-no-longer-cool-to-teens/musicalmac

ReadingRainbow4

And what point did I claim that they would not buy idevices I was pointing out that teens think they are losing there cool image, and do you ever think for your self before moaning about what others contribute. You come across as nothing but one big Apple ad!

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]causal box comfrimedjhonMalcovich

I don´t care about that. Steam boxes wont compete against gaming PCs, but will complement them, because both Steam and PC will share a common gaming platform, Steam. So there wont be stupid exclusivity regarding games. Desktop PCs will be able to play everything steam boxes have to offer. Finally PCs and consoles will be coexisting and not competing with each other.

And when those console gamers show up on your servers...?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 musicalmac  Moderator

And what point did I claim that they would not buy idevices I was pointing out that teens think they are losing there cool image, and do you ever think for your self before moaning about what others contribute. You come across as nothing but one big Apple ad!

Duckyindiana
So you wanted to make sure we knew that teens weren't as excited about Apple as they were in the past...? For what purpose? You can say I sound like an ad all day long, but it's you who is guilty of letting personal bias effect behavior. Have you ever really examined why you so strongly dislike a company that makes consumer-focused technology?
Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]

musicalmac
So you wanted to make sure we knew that teens weren't as excited about Apple as they were in the past...? For what purpose? You can say I sound like an ad all day long, but it's you who is guilty of letting personal bias effect behavior. Have you ever really examined why you so strongly dislike a company that makes consumer-focused technology?

I don't strongly dislike them I own an ipod touch and use it most days I just can't stand the way they do things at times and how some people fall head over heels for a company that likes to rip them off!
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]

musicalmac

The main issue here is that it's not so much a hate for apple, but that there are companies out there that do what they do better, and at a much cheaper price.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]I have an Apple TV but I've never used it to play games.StormyJoe

I knew about it when I bought it but I don't buy games for my iPhone or iPad. I only use it to stream movies from iTunes to my TV.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]

ReadingRainbow4

The main issue here is that it's not so much a hate for apple, but that there are companies out there that do what they do better, and at a much cheaper price.

Except there isn't. Not one smartphone manufacturer matches the build quality when it comes to the iphone.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"] So you wanted to make sure we knew that teens weren't as excited about Apple as they were in the past...? For what purpose? You can say I sound like an ad all day long, but it's you who is guilty of letting personal bias effect behavior. Have you ever really examined why you so strongly dislike a company that makes consumer-focused technology?RR360DD

Except there isn't. Not one smartphone manufacturer matches the build quality when it comes to the iphone.

You mean the build quality that renders my iPhone 4 almost unusable as a phone because of the aerial? They do make great products but they are just as prone to mistakes as other manufacturers (there are lists of faults if you would bother to google them).

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#75 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Appletv? lol
ultra641996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ultra641996
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts
ios,android is crap no proper flash support cant display gamespot like a desktop pc.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 musicalmac  Moderator

ReadingRainbow4
If you're going to say nothing you could just refrain from posting.
I don't strongly dislike them I own an ipod touch and use it most days I just can't stand the way they do things at times and how some people fall head over heels for a company that likes to rip them off!Duckyindiana
You can't stand the way people fall head over heels for Apple when they're being ripped off? So it's your mission to help educate people who would otherwise be fooled by this company, or what? What point are you trying to make that is reasonable or that matters to anyone?
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ReadingRainbow4

musicalmac

If you're going to say nothing you could just refrain from posting.
I don't strongly dislike them I own an ipod touch and use it most days I just can't stand the way they do things at times and how some people fall head over heels for a company that likes to rip them off!Duckyindiana
You can't stand the way people fall head over heels for Apple when they're being ripped off? So it's your mission to help educate people who would otherwise be fooled by this company, or what? What point are you trying to make that is reasonable or that matters to anyone?

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

Apple TV may be the most sucessful gaming platform with the worst line up of games. iOS games are light years behind what's available on Steam. And Apple has absolutely no first-party talent.

StormyJoe

I think what he is saying is that if AppleTV (and it's future competitors) take of, then the idea of having a PC running your living room will go bye-bye; esentially limiting things like SteamBox to being "just another pre-built PC".

The games, I think he is assuming, will come with popularity of the platform.

And what path are they taking? Local, cloud-based, or both?
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="PinkiePirate"]

Apple TV may be the most sucessful gaming platform with the worst line up of games. iOS games are light years behind what's available on Steam. And Apple has absolutely no first-party talent.

PinkiePirate

I think what he is saying is that if AppleTV (and it's future competitors) take of, then the idea of having a PC running your living room will go bye-bye; esentially limiting things like SteamBox to being "just another pre-built PC".

The games, I think he is assuming, will come with popularity of the platform.

And what path are they taking? Local, cloud-based, or both?

Well, if I am understanding this correctly, SteamBox is supposed to be some kind of a gaming and media hub. It's a specialized PC that you can connect to your TV and play games - but since it is also a PC, you can do all of your streaming, surfing, etc from your SteamBox.

Given that...

AppleTV is a device that is a little bigger than a deck of cards that costs $99. With it (and AirPlay) you can wirelessly stream audio and video to your tv from any device that supports AirPlay: phones, tablets, computers, etc. It also has all the streaming sites available for use.

I believe what he was getting at is that if AppleTV takes off (as the new version with AirPlay is starting to), and the inevitable "clones" come to market, they could make a media PC irrelevent.

L0mak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 L0mak
Member since 2012 • 179 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"] If you're going to say nothing you could just refrain from posting. [QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]I don't strongly dislike them I own an ipod touch and use it most days I just can't stand the way they do things at times and how some people fall head over heels for a company that likes to rip them off!ReadingRainbow4

You're pretty eager to let everyone know just how stupid you are eh? Some petty attempt at a response by posting the equivalent of a "you mad bro" meme. Yea man, you really showed that guy. /Eyeroll.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
so its confirmed to be sh!t then if they fear apple tv? :lol:
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 musicalmac  Moderator
so its confirmed to be sh!t then if they fear apple tv? :lol:campzor
I remember when Balmer didn't fear the iPhone. That vid is still floating around somewhere. Search Balmer and iPhone for a giggle.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Way to set the bar low there Valve.
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]I don't see the connection with Apple, unless Steam starts offering TV and movies. musicalmac
Except that every game you play on your idevice can be wirelessly streamed to your AppleTV and played on your HDTV. Some games have native support and allow you to use the idevice as a steering wheel or a controller.

Yes , the only problem is those games are low end titles that cost no more then $6.99.  If you like games like Skyrim, AC, GoW, Halo, Uncharted etc apple tv is not going to be the path you will take.  Its funny to me that somehow people think a tv with a pricetag of probaly more then $2,000 and nothing but casual trash is going to threaten the console industry. 

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="musicalmac"] So you wanted to make sure we knew that teens weren't as excited about Apple as they were in the past...? For what purpose? You can say I sound like an ad all day long, but it's you who is guilty of letting personal bias effect behavior. Have you ever really examined why you so strongly dislike a company that makes consumer-focused technology?RR360DD

Untill the Xperia Z is released that is. 

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I actually have never seen an Apple TV in real life. Always heard about it on iTunes, but never seen it.funsohng

I've seen one :P

I'm in and out of 2-3 houses a day, and I saw my first the other month.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

How many people out there interested in Apple TV?

clyde46

Its Apple, it will sell.

Not if there price is  beyond the casual consumer, and to stay with the preimum brand recgonition in the tv market you are going to have to go $2,000 dollars are higher and that is far beyond there average consumer. 

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="clyde46"]I don't see the connection with Apple, unless Steam starts offering TV and movies. AM-Gamer

Except that every game you play on your idevice can be wirelessly streamed to your AppleTV and played on your HDTV. Some games have native support and allow you to use the idevice as a steering wheel or a controller.

Yes , the only problem is those games are low end titles that cost no more then $6.99.  If you like games like Skyrim, AC, GoW, Halo, Uncharted etc apple tv is not going to be the path you will take.  Its funny to me that somehow people think a tv with a pricetag of probaly more then $2,000 and nothing but casual trash is going to threaten the console industry. 

Huh? its $99. And just because the games are cheap doesn't make them low end.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

How many people out there interested in Apple TV?

AM-Gamer

Its Apple, it will sell.

Not if there price is  beyond the casual consumer, and to stay with the preimum brand recgonition in the tv market you are going to have to go $2,000 dollars are higher and that is far beyond there average consumer. 

$100. Its about the cheapest Apple product you can buy.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I always saw Apple and Valve as similair companies. Well at least with DD.

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

There's an Apple TV?

Thefatness16

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

I thought Gabe's biggest fear is the number 3?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

There's an Apple TV?

Primordialous

Not an actual TV:

AppleTVMarch2012_35160082_04_620x433.jpg

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I don't know anyone, even online, that uses AppleTV. In fact, what exactly does it do?

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Apple's innovations killed the legacy PC, MP3 players, and 1-trick phones. It's only a matter of time before consoles become dead due to Apple's continuous expansions. Fat Gabe clearly understands this.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

If apple is the biggest threat then there won't be much of a fight.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"] Except that every game you play on your idevice can be wirelessly streamed to your AppleTV and played on your HDTV. Some games have native support and allow you to use the idevice as a steering wheel or a controller.RR360DD

Huh? its $99. And just because the games are cheap doesn't make them low end.

Im pretty sure thats not what hes talking about as its been out awhile and hasn't sold that well. And yes the games you get on the app store are garbage in comparison to any major retail console game.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 StormyJoe

I don't know anyone, even online, that uses AppleTV. In fact, what exactly does it do?

ChubbyGuy40

AppleTV is a device that serves two purposes:

1. It is a device that you can use to stream content to your TV from a PC, Tablet, Smartphone, etc. That uses Apple's new content streaming process called AirPlay (works through your home network's WiFi).
  2. It is a device that allows the user to connect to iTunes "channels" (similar to OnDemand from Comcast or Hulu Plus), stream Netflix, Hulu etc. o your TV. Some of those services have versions for AppleTV (Netflix and iTunes, for instance), so you can watch them in 1080p.

What I mainly use if for is Airplay. I have my AppleTV's audio out going through an optical cable to my receiver, and the video out through HDMI (again, through my receiver). So, when I have guests over (I entertain a lot), I can put sports or whatever on the TV; and with my receiver, change the audio source from HDMI to the same optical in my AppleTV uses. What that lets me do is use my iPad as a wireless "jukebox", and play songs through my sterio system while letting people watch TV.

Also, I can then use Airplay when I switch over to AppleTV and stream music videos from my computers or iPad to my TV.

You can read about it here: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#100 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
nay, Google's IPTV cable alternative released alongside their gigabit/sec internet speeds will be keep AppleTV from going anywhere... if Google ever gets around to releasing anywhere besides Kansas City