For those in denial, Dark Souls is JRPG, not a WRPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

[QUOTE="RavenLoud"][QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Ah, that's Resonance of Fate. I've been curious to play the game but I've held off for a long time. How is it in terms of characters and plot? I've heard a lot of great stuff about the combat, but I've heard little about anything else.

NeonNinja

I think the characters are hilarious, there is genuine humor in some scenes, not nearly as cheesy as FF13. The plot is ok, nothing spectacular imo. The combat seems a bit convoluted at first but you'll get used to it fast. It is a bit unforgiving, but you can retry the battle at any point for a small fee. An excellent RPG overall.

Sounds good man. I'll look to pick it up once I finish my current RPG line-up: Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher, Star Wars: KotOR and Dark Souls. Yeah, I've got a soft spot for the genre. :P

Have you played Tales of Vesperia? Would you say the characters in Resonance of Fate are anywhere near as cool/funny as that crew?

Never played Vesperia, don't own a 360 and don't feel like buying it just for one game. But if it is anything like Symphonia, then the lack of characters (your party is 3 for the whole game) definitively put RoF down a bit. IMO Symphonia had better characters, but that may just be nostalgia since I was quite young when I last played it and I've become less impressionable since then. There are enough "lol wut haha" charming moments in RoF for me though.
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#402 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Have we came to a conclusion yet?

Chrome-

Western RPG = RPG from the West

Japanese RPG = RPG from Japan

But for some reason, people think these are "genres" instead of regional terms...

Then what about RPG's from China what should we call them?

Just RPGs. The only reason Japan and The West are divided by regions is because they're the most relevant and influential.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

[QUOTE="Chrome-"][QUOTE="Tikeio"]

Western RPG = RPG from the West

Japanese RPG = RPG from Japan

But for some reason, people think these are "genres" instead of regional terms...

Tikeio

Then what about RPG's from China what should we call them?

Just RPGs. The only reason Japan and The West are divided by regions is because they're the most relevant and influential.

How come games like The Witcher, and Mount and Blade fall under the WRPG label?

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#404 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Congratulations, you've equated every JRPG with FFVII and FFX.

Moving on, considering your assertion that JRPGs are devoid of any original elements that did not originate in WRPGs, please refer me to the WRPG that pioneered this battle system originated from because I'd really be interested in playing it:

link

Wow how ironic...you say only FF;s are over stylized then link to a movie where people are doing the kama sutra of gymnastics 50 feet in the air just to shoot people. And like i guessed earlier, you're one of those people that take minor tweaks to turn based combat as huge innovations. I'm glad you proved me right twice with a single movie. next question.

I didn't say that "only FF was "over" stylized."

A "minor tweak?" Turn based combat? The combat can barely be defined as "turn based." It is not even command based. If the combat cannot even be defined as "turn based," but under your judgement does not constitute any meaningful deviation from turn based combat, then there are no meaningful changes to be made in RPG combat whatsoever.

Not to mention the other elements of the combat that completely change the way damage is dealt.

But of course, you're being completely disingenous. You would have to be to deny that the game plays completely differently from this:

"Next question?" You did not answer the question. If you can explain to me which JRPG pioneered the idea of "scratch damage" (read: impermanent damage that is set by another type of damage) in a way that dominated the gameplay, feel free to contribute. Otherwise, you're trolling.

~yawn~ barely turn based is still turn based. speaking of disingenous your photo doesn't capture the spectrum of turn based combat out there so nice try with that. And I think you have the wrong idea of scratch damage. The term is actually a D&D term in which even a weak character will do at least 1 damage to something heavily armored and higher level. Next question.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 RavenLoud

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"] Wow how ironic...you say only FF;s are over stylized then link to a movie where people are doing the kama sutra of gymnastics 50 feet in the air just to shoot people. And like i guessed earlier, you're one of those people that take minor tweaks to turn based combat as huge innovations. I'm glad you proved me right twice with a single movie. next question.smerlus

A "minor tweak?" Turn based combat? The combat can barely be defined as "turn based." It is not even command based. If the combat cannot even be defined as "turn based," but under your judgement does not constitute any meaningful deviation from turn based combat, then there are no meaningful changes to be made in RPG combat whatsoever.

Not to mention the other elements of the combat that completely change the way damage is dealt.

But of course, you're being completely disingenous. You would have to be to deny that the game plays completely differently from this:

"Next question?" You did not answer the question. If you can explain to me which JRPG pioneered the idea of "scratch damage" (read: impermanent damage that is set by another type of damage) in a way that dominated the gameplay, feel free to contribute. Otherwise, you're trolling.

~yawn~ barely turn based is still turn based. speaking of disingenous your photo doesn't capture the spectrum of turn based combat out there so nice try with that. And I think you have the wrong idea of scratch damage. The term is actually a D&D term in which even a weak character will do at least 1 damage to something heavily armored and higher level. Next question.

I don't think you understand what scratch damage is. You are the fool here. You clearly did not even spend the time to achieve basic understanding of the combat system he provided. That smug attitude also doesn't help your argument as much as you seem to believe. Keep those deluded dribble coming, I sense that it will be fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 190586385885857957282413308806

I don't think you understand what scratch damage is. You are the fool here. You clearly did not even spend the time to achieve basic understanding of the combat system he provided. That smug attitude also doesn't help your argument as much as you seem to believe. Keep those deluded dribble coming, I sense that it will be fun.

RavenLoud

actually you must have trouble reading. There's already a term called scratch damage and it describes something else. let more more intelligentadults speak here child.

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 designer-
Member since 2010 • 1328 Posts
Thank you, its like I have been unplugged from the matrix
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#408 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Western_role-playing_video_games

WRPGs are RPGs developed in the western world. So it's a geographical reference.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"] Wow how ironic...you say only FF;s are over stylized then link to a movie where people are doing the kama sutra of gymnastics 50 feet in the air just to shoot people. And like i guessed earlier, you're one of those people that take minor tweaks to turn based combat as huge innovations. I'm glad you proved me right twice with a single movie. next question.smerlus

First of all, typing "yawn" isn't going to impress me. Attempting to appear disinterested is a painfully transparent attempt to conceal your inability to back up an argument based on ethnocentrism and it isn't going to impress anyone in SW.

Suggesting that "turn based combat is still turn based" is about as useful as saying an "FPS is still an FPS." So what, there can be no meaningful changes within a genre as long as it remains in its genre? I'm not suggesting that every turn based game plays like the game in my picture. You are the one who is suggesting that there is no "spectrum," with your previous "_ is still _" comment. However, most JRPGs play far more similar to the game in my picture than the game from the clip I showed you. I am not aware of any games that utilize some of the gameplay elements that it employs. So either turn based games are all the same and have no meaningful changes, or are a "spectrum" that do include meaningful changes. Which one is it?

And yet again, you did not answer the quesiton. Two more red herrings, one of which is an attempt to appear as an authority. "Scratch damage" is the term the game uses. The game employs "scratch damage" (which ironically does the most (potential) damage), and then "direct damage" which provides permanent damage and makes permanent any damage that has been made in scratch damage. They also have other functions like direct damage breaking enemy parts to acquire more bezels so that you don't run out of turns. I assume you're following all of this, because evidently it all originated in WRPGs.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="RavenLoud"] I don't think you understand what scratch damage is. You are the fool here. You clearly did not even spend the time to achieve basic understanding of the combat system he provided. That smug attitude also doesn't help your argument as much as you seem to believe. Keep those deluded dribble coming, I sense that it will be fun.

smerlus

actually you must have trouble reading. There's already a term called scratch damage and it describes something else. let more more intelligentadults speak here child.

No, he's right. You really have no idea what you're talking about. It's clear that you made judgements before any attempt to understand the game at its most fundamental level.

Scratch Damage vs. Direct Damage

Resonance of Fateis packing not one, but two different kinds of damage: Scratch Damage and Direct Damage. Scratch Damage appears in blue over an HP Gauge, and representspotentialdamage. It recovers as time passes, and has no long-term effects. Direct Damage, on the other hand, is much more permanent. It can only be healed under special circumstances. The key is using the two together.

When an enemy or character takes Direct Damage when his HP bar has Scratch Damage built up, the Direct Damage will convert all of the Scratch Damage into Direct Damage. As a rule, Scratch Damage is easier to deal in large quantities, while Direct Damage is smaller and more limited on its own, so a common strategy is to use the two in conjunction; first one, then the other.

http://rpgland.com/sega/everything-youll-ever-need-to-know-about-resonance-of-fate-part-1-the-battle-system/#hp-damage

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#411 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

WRPGs are RPGs developed in the western world. So it's a geographical reference.

jhcho2

Then Witcher 2 isn't wRPG

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Both sides make such compelling arguments I don't know what to believe...

I think...I'm going to make a sandwich.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#413 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Both sides make such compelling arguments I don't know what to believe...

I think...I'm going to make a sandwich.

Ross_the_Boss6

I'm surprised it's gone on this long, actually. You'll notice a bit of jeering in the first few pages with some people saying they never seen anyone say it and we don't need a topic on this. 400 posts later: In. Their. Faces! :P

Providing a good bit of debate, so I'm happy.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="jhcho2"]

AdrianWerner

While I dont agree with jhcho2 (he was proven wrong so many times in this thread that I wont even get into it), Witcher 2 actually was developed in western world (Poland).

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="jhcho2"]

BlbecekBobecek

While I dont agree with jhcho2 (he was proven wrong so many times in this thread that I wont even get into it), Witcher 2 actually was developed in western world (Poland).

The definition of "the West" does not include Poland.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]Then Witcher 2 isn't wRPG

SW__Troll

Link?

Poland is part of European Union and culturally and historically belongs to the western civilization since about 500 years before America was discovered. What makes you think it does not?

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

BlbecekBobecek

Link?

Poland is part of European Union and culturally and historically belongs to the western civilization since about 500 years before America was discovered. What makes you think it does not?

Because it was behind the iron curtain. Eastern europe has been considered the east for years.

And not one of the idiots who is claiming its purely geographical can answer why we make the geopgraphical distinction on RPGs but absolutely no other game?

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

Chemical_Viking

Link?

Because it was behind the iron curtain. Eastern europe has been considered the east for years.

And not one of the idiots who is claiming its purely geographical can answer why we make the geopgraphical distinction on RPGs but absolutely no other game?

So wait what are you saying that Its a JRPG?

Avatar image for garrett_daniels
garrett_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 garrett_daniels
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts

GameSpot/GameFAQs mostly sidesteps this argument by categorising games as "Console-style RPG" and "PC-style RPG".

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

Chemical_Viking

Link?

Well it's not only just the Cold War, but even prior to the Cold War Europe used to be heavily split by religion, and empire dating back to the times of the great Roman, and Greek empires.

Western Civilization has always, ALWAYS been used to describe Western Europe, and (through expansion) it also became a descriptor for the USA, and Canada, some parts of Central America/South America, and Australia even.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

[QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

Link?

musalala

So wait what are you saying that Its a JRPG?

Nope. I am firmly in the camp that says it is about genres not origin. Because we don't make distinctions of origin.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

First of all, typing "yawn" isn't going to impress me. Attempting to appear disinterested is a painfully transparent attempt to conceal your inability to back up an argument based on ethnocentrism and it isn't going to impress anyone in SW.

Suggesting that "turn based combat is still turn based" is about as useful as saying an "FPS is still an FPS." So what, there can be no meaningful changes within a genre as long as it remains in its genre? I'm not suggesting that every turn based game plays like the game in my picture. You are the one who is suggesting that there is no "spectrum," with your previous "_ is still _" comment. However, most JRPGs play far more similar to the game in my picture than the game from the clip I showed you. I am not aware of any games that utilize some of the gameplay elements that it employs. So either turn based games are all the same and have no meaningful changes, or are a "spectrum" that do include meaningful changes. Which one is it?

And yet again, you did not answer the quesiton. Two more red herrings, one of which is an attempt to appear as an authority. "Scratch damage" is the term the game uses. The game employs "scratch damage" (which ironically does the most (potential) damage), and then "direct damage" which provides permanent damage and makes permanent any damage that has been made in scratch damage. They also have other functions like direct damage breaking enemy parts to acquire more bezels so that you don't run out of turns. I assume you're following all of this, because evidently it all originated in WRPGs.

You're replies are asinine and that's why i could care less debating this topic with you. So far you've fumbled all over yourself saying that you can't believe i would say JRPG's are overstylized and in the defense of your favorite genre you claim not all games are like FFVII and whatever else...yet you end up linking a game that is over stylized and not one of those games listed. So what previously made my comment to incredible when you must be able to find it so easy to link to an example that proved my point? When was the last time you saw a WRPG that was overstylized. I think me describing turn based as a spectrum is very fitting. I'm sorry you're unable to grasp that that concept but let me try to break it down for you; blue is a color and has various shades of blue within that spectrum, in the end they all belong to that blue family. So you saying i'm suggesting that there is not a spectrum, you're wrong. I wouldn't have used that word, however all these games have tweaks that really don't make the description any differentr. If catogorized would RoF be listed as "Barely turn based RPG with scratch damage"? No it would be listed as turn based. Is Doom listed in a different genre than MW3? Nope. I didn't answer the question because I thought it was kind of humorous that you say JRPGs "pioneered" scratch damage when the D&D term for scratch damage predates it by a few decades. No jrpgs dont borrow much from the west. :lol:
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

Chemical_Viking

Link?

Didnt get your "idiots" sentence, not sure if it was actually meant to make sense, so I will just comment on the Poland:

1) its not eastern Europe, its centralEurope (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland ),

2) they (Poles) didnt choose to be behind iron curtain, they were forced to by Russia,

3) the iron curtain lasted 40 years, Poland is part of western civilization for about thousand years.

4) The safest way to distinguish which country is part of the western civilization is by religion and Poland adopted Catholic Christianity in 966 a.d. - religion of the east is Orthodox Christianity.

Poland nation is culturally and historically west. Period. Considering it part of the eastern civilization (where countries such as Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Bulgaria, etc belong) is not only ignorant, it actually insults all Poles (and I know a few of them, so I know this).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"]

[QUOTE="RavenLoud"] I don't think you understand what scratch damage is. You are the fool here. You clearly did not even spend the time to achieve basic understanding of the combat system he provided. That smug attitude also doesn't help your argument as much as you seem to believe. Keep those deluded dribble coming, I sense that it will be fun.

No, he's right. You really have no idea what you're talking about. It's clear that you made judgements before any attempt to understand the game at its most fundamental level.

Scratch Damage vs. Direct Damage

Resonance of Fateis packing not one, but two different kinds of damage: Scratch Damage and Direct Damage. Scratch Damage appears in blue over an HP Gauge, and representspotentialdamage. It recovers as time passes, and has no long-term effects. Direct Damage, on the other hand, is much more permanent. It can only be healed under special circumstances. The key is using the two together.

When an enemy or character takes Direct Damage when his HP bar has Scratch Damage built up, the Direct Damage will convert all of the Scratch Damage into Direct Damage. As a rule, Scratch Damage is easier to deal in large quantities, while Direct Damage is smaller and more limited on its own, so a common strategy is to use the two in conjunction; first one, then the other.

http://rpgland.com/sega/everything-youll-ever-need-to-know-about-resonance-of-fate-part-1-the-battle-system/#hp-damage

actually I do know what i'm talking about. D&D coined the phrase "scratch damage" at least 25 years before RoF came out. I think it's safe to say that if there was already a phrase with a distinct definition, then that is the correct one to use. and look. I can quote and link too: "For some reason (probably due to the original Dungeons & Dragons), many games absolutely refuse to let a player be utterly invincible and will let even the weakest enemies do token damage long after pure stat calculations should have zeroed it out. Past a certain point, it becomes downright egregious when half the monsters in the game will do the same amount of damage, from the fluffy bunnies to the Ogre Kings. The game designers may as well have just made you fight the bunnies all the way. In some games, weak enemies will only manage to inflict damage by landing the occasional Critical Hit. But unless there are other game mechanics at work, like self-inflicted damage caused by a distracting or disruptive attack, they shouldn't be able to hurt you at all with their furry paws while you're wearing your Flaming Armor of Awesomeness, Critical Hit or not. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScratchDamage " Anyways most fighting games have the kind of damage you're describing so jrpgs borrowed from that which really makes your point moot. it would be moronic of me to say Mass Effect pioneered cover third based shooting when it's already prevalent in video games.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

Link?

SW__Troll

Well it's not only just the Cold War, but even prior to the Cold War Europe used to be heavily split by religion, and empire dating back to the times of the great Roman, and Greek empires.

Western Civilization has always, ALWAYS been used to describe Western Europe, and (through expansion) it also became a descriptor for the USA, and Canada, some parts of Central America/South America, and Australia even.

I DO AGREE with the red parts. The thing is Poland was always, ALWAYS part of the western civilisation (even by religion, as you mention).

I DONT agree with the green part. Great Roman empire was actually a successor of the Greek Empire (it basically started after the era of Alexander The Great) and both those empires represent the western civilization. Persian Empire represented the eastern civlisation back then.

The origins of western civilisation are following (as any student of philosophy or sociology would tell you):

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

BlbecekBobecek

I DO AGREE with the red parts. The thing is Poland was always, ALWAYS part of the western civilisation (even by religion, as you mention).

What I meant by religion, and empire, was moreso that Europe has been divided in numerous ways in the past. I wasn't specifying in either case.

I DONT agree with the green part. Great Roman empire was actually a successor of the Greek Empire (it basically started after the era of Alexander The Great) and both those empires represent the western civilization. Persian Empire represented the eastern civlisation back then.

I know they're successors, but regardless each had their effects in dividing the continent. Despite the magnitude at which the empires existed the Romans had the greatest effect on shaping the civilization of west Europe while the Greek empire had it's effect on the east. Though despite this not all of the West/East adhered to their ideals to begin with. Greek philosophy, for instance, was not widespread throughout Asia just because Greece conqured a ton of it. It was much more centralized than that just as the Roman empire was in western Europe.

The origins of western civilisation are following (as any student of philosophy or sociology would tell you):

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

Agreed, but only one of them works in Poland's case, and I'd definitely say it's the weakest link of the three.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 musalala

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

BlbecekBobecek

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

I like where this discussion going are we actually discussing the history of western civilization in system wars :)

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

smerlus

You're replies are asinine and that's why i could care less debating this topic with you. So far you've fumbled all over yourself saying that you can't believe i would say JRPG's are overstylized and in the defense of your favorite genre you claim not all games are like FFVII and whatever else...yet you end up linking a game that is over stylized and not one of those games listed. So what previously made my comment to incredible when you must be able to find it so easy to link to an example that proved my point? When was the last time you saw a WRPG that was overstylized. I think me describing turn based as a spectrum is very fitting. I'm sorry you're unable to grasp that that concept but let me try to break it down for you; blue is a color and has various shades of blue within that spectrum, in the end they all belong to that blue family. So you saying i'm suggesting that there is not a spectrum, you're wrong. I wouldn't have used that word, however all these games have tweaks that really don't make the description any differentr. If catogorized would RoF be listed as "Barely turn based RPG with scratch damage"? No it would be listed as turn based. Is Doom listed in a different genre than MW3? Nope. I didn't answer the question because I thought it was kind of humorous that you say JRPGs "pioneered" scratch damage when the D&D term for scratch damage predates it by a few decades. No jrpgs dont borrow much from the west. :lol:

I've fumbled all over myself? You have thus far failed to make a single argument in defense of your original point. However, you've managed to throw together a slew of red herrings and straw men. And you proceeded to proceded to "correct" me and someone else, calling them a "child," when you turned out to be completely wrong.

Moreover, you've concluded this post with the idea that the "scratch damage" in RoF is borrowed from WRPGs simply because it uses the same name. Of course, the scratch damage that you described is completely different from the scratch damage used in RoF and how it is used in RoF. As for RoF being a "Barely turned based JRPG with scratch damage," not only does it suggest that you still fail to understand how the mechanic works (the "scratch damage" is meaningless without the "direct damage"), there many other unique elements to the game. You of course, wouldn't know that, because you have no idea how RoF plays and are the type of person who likes to argue over things they have absolutely no understanding of, pumping vast quantities of your seeping, over-inflated ego into each post.

My original argument was never that I was upset that you found JRPGs over "stylized" (straw man). I couldn't care less that you don't like your "fantasy" games to be "fantastical." My original point was that JRPGs, in fact, do have elements that did not originate in WRPGs.Congratulations, so far your best argument is that a JRPG mechanic and a WRPG mechanic have the same name.

I'm done. Your posts are here for everyone to see.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 AdrianWerner

Poland is part of European Union and culturally and historicallybelongs to the western civilization since about 500 years before America was discovered. What makes you think it does not?

BlbecekBobecek

CUltually yes. Geographcically no. So it does't serve his argument that (wRPGs are games made in western world geographically). In fact it strenghtens the argument about Dark Souls being wRPGs, that's why it used. Poland is part of western civilizations because of culturar aspects and law. Same as Dark Souls is wRPG because it's based on cRPG's heritage and rulesets.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430 AdrianWerner

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

Agreed, but only one of them works in Poland's case, and I'd definitely say it's the weakest link of the three.

SW__Troll

Nah, all three work in Poland. More than they do in UK and USA, because Poland actually uses all three, while UK and USA aren't based on Roman law.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

AdrianWerner

Nah, all three work in Poland. More than they do in UK and USA, because Poland actually uses all three, while UK and USA aren't based on Roman law.

Exactly.

I like where this discussion going are we actually discussing the history of western civilization in system wars :)

musalala

Yeah, this thread is getting pretty epic :D

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

AdrianWerner

What do you mean the UK and USA aren't based on Roman law?

The UK, and the Catholic church certainly had their differences, but a very long time after either one came into being.

Roman law is seen all over the US legal system. Much of the law takes on Latin titles because, interestingly enough, those were laws far before the US ever came to use them.

I can't really speak on behalf of the UK though as I don't live there.

herezjarchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 herezjarchus
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

SW__Troll

Polish political thinking was always (or at least since late-medieval, because dark ages were a rather bad period for that) heavily influenced by ancient philosophy and laws... In some periods of history this influence was even greater in Poland than in some of the western european nations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Liberty

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

Poland is part of European Union and culturally and historicallybelongs to the western civilization since about 500 years before America was discovered. What makes you think it does not?

AdrianWerner

CUltually yes. Geographcically no. So it does't serve his argument that (wRPGs are games made in western world geographically). In fact it strenghtens the argument about Dark Souls being wRPGs, that's why it used. Poland is part of western civilizations because of culturar aspects and law. Same as Dark Souls is wRPG because it's based on cRPG's heritage and rulesets.

This I agree with and I like how you put the thread back on rails :) I just think Poland is western even geographically because its about the same geographical width as Austria, Czech republic (those countries are probably more know by their capitols Wien and Prague, both used to be parts of Habsburg Monarchy and both their capitols used to be the seat of the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire at some point in time and that was something like the capitol of western civilization back then, so they are definitely both parts of the west). When you say eastern I imagine Russia, Mongolia, Kazachstan, Uzbekistan, all Asia, Turkey, etc., maybe even Ukraine, Belarus... but thats it. Just my humble opinion though.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 musalala

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

SW__Troll

The UK, and the Catholic church certainly had their differences, but a very long time after either one came into being.

Roman law is seen all over the US legal system. Much of the law takes on Latin titles because, interestingly enough, those were laws far before the US ever came to use them.

I think the british use roman/dutch law

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

1) Greek philosophy

2) Roman law

3) Christianity.

SW__Troll

He meant that while continental Europe uses so called Romano-Germanic (or Continental) Legal system, UK and USA use common law based Anglo-Saxon legal system.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]Nah, all three work in Poland. More than they do in UK and USA, because Poland actually uses all three, while UK and USA aren't based on Roman law.

BlbecekBobecek

He meant that while continental Europe uses so called Romano-Germanic (or Continental) Legal system, UK and USA use common law based Anglo-Saxon legal system.

tbh I don't actually know what that means because, despite it being Anglo-Saxan law, or Romano-Germanic law, they still have similar roots.

Though I admit to never knowing too much about Polish history. I kinda just took all of Eastern Europe and threw them under the same blanket (I don't think all of Eastern Europe would be classifed as Western civilization, but I guess Poland can slide on this one :P)

Regardless of ANY of these facts though these questions still remain unanswered:

• Why is their only a differentiation between RPGs, and no other genre? (Why don't we have JPlatformers, JRacing, or w/e)
  • Why does From Software themselves consider Demon/Dark Souls to not be a JRPG if it's purely regional, as some would like to put it?
  • Why does it seem that every RPG not from Japan seem to get thrown under the WRPG label if it's purely regional?
  • Why am I so damn handsome?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

I've fumbled all over myself? You have thus far failed to make a single argument in defense of your original point. However, you've managed to throw together a slew of red herrings and straw men. And you proceeded to proceded to "correct" me and someone else, calling them a "child," when you turned out to be completely wrong.

Moreover, you've concluded this post with the idea that the "scratch damage" in RoF is borrowed from WRPGs simply because it uses the same name. Of course, the scratch damage that you described is completely different from the scratch damage used in RoF and how it is used in RoF. As for RoF being a "Barely turned based JRPG with scratch damage," not only does it suggest that you still fail to understand how the mechanic works (the "scratch damage" is meaningless without the "direct damage"), there many other unique elements to the game. You of course, wouldn't know that, because you have no idea how RoF plays and are the type of person who likes to argue over things they have absolutely no understanding of, pumping vast quantities of your seeping, over-inflated ego into each post.

My original argument was never that I was upset that you found JRPGs over "stylized" (straw man). I couldn't care less that you don't like your "fantasy" games to be "fantastical." My original point was that JRPGs, in fact, do have elements that did not originate in WRPGs.Congratulations, so far your best argument is that a JRPG mechanic and a WRPG mechanic have the same name.

I'm done. Your posts are here for everyone to see.

Yes you have fumbled all over yourself when you say that my observation that jrpgs are over stylized in unbelievable and then you switch to another argument showing clips with an overstylized fighting system. I've also said I dont believe minor tweaks indicated innovation yet you post a game with turn based gameplay and try to excuse it by adding "barely". It's also text book posting on System Wars when you no longer have a point to start throwing out words like Red Herring and Straw Man. You're just as cliche as the games you're apologizing for. Moreover I didn't say that they are the same if you would calm down and read my post. I've never said that doing 1 damage with a weak creature is equivilant to the type of damage system you're describing. If you can repost where i said exactly that, i'll concede this argument but you wont be able to because you made the whole argument up. what i did mention is that you tell me i dont know what i'm talking about, you then link to a definition of scratch damage and my link easily predates yours. I was laughing that the japanese are so original that they even borrow phrases that are already defined in wrpgs. :roll: Your scratch damage originates in fighting games, not jrpgs. it's another thing borrowed so excuse me if i don't let you say that jrpgs innovated by using something that already exists in a bunch of other games. Mass Effect didn't innovate by adding a cover system and everyone would agree with me. So for s*** and giggles, what was the first RPG to use your version of scratch damage?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 190586385885857957282413308806

Why is their only a differentiation between RPGs, and no other genre? (Why don't we have JPlatformers, JRacing, or w/e)Why does From Software themselves consider Demon/Dark Souls to not be a JRPG if it's purely regional, as some would like to put it?Why does it seem that every RPG not from Japan seem to get thrown under the WRPG label if it's purely regional?Why am I so damn handsome?SW__Troll

1) Because all other genres are very similar.are there really huge enough differences in God of War and Devil May Cry to say that they are so different they need to be further catagorized?

2) because developers are full of themselves. Why isn't Shenmue labeled as a F.R.E.E. genre game? Why is Fable 3 still listed as an RPG? Why arent Metroid Prime games listed as First Person Adventures?

3) Maybe because they are all west of the Far East

4) Genetics and a good upbringing.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 AdrianWerner

SW__Troll

Well, of course UK and USA systems are influenced by Roman law, but not directly based, that's why they're refered to as "Common law" systems, as opossed to "Roman Law" systems. The later hand is pretty much the whole continental Europe on the other which still uses majority of Roman law constucts.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 SW__Troll

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]Why is their only a differentiation between RPGs, and no other genre? (Why don't we have JPlatformers, JRacing, or w/e)Why does From Software themselves consider Demon/Dark Souls to not be a JRPG if it's purely regional, as some would like to put it?Why does it seem that every RPG not from Japan seem to get thrown under the WRPG label if it's purely regional?Why am I so damn handsome?smerlus

1) Because all other genres are very similar.are there really huge enough differences in God of War and Devil May Cry to say that they are so different they need to be further catagorized?

That's pretty much my point.

All other genres ARE similar be they from Japan or America or Europe. RPGs being incredibly different in a ton of cases between these regions. That's why many others, and myself, have argued for the terms being used based on sty|e/genre differences rather than geographic differences.

2) because developers are full of themselves. Why isn't Shenmue labeled as a F.R.E.E. genre game? Why is Fable 3 still listed as an RPG? Why arent Metroid Prime games listed as First Person Adventures?

I wouldn't go that far. From Software specifically stated that their game was heavily rooted elsewhere; IE NOT Japanese RPGs. They weren't saying they were a higher ****of Japanese gaming, or something like that.

As far as I'm concerned America is to Japan's east :cool:

But seriously it's not right to consider the entire world "the west", but that's currently the system in place for RPGs that aren't made in Japan.

Damn straight

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
It's ridiculous to classify a genre based upon where the game originated from. If a Japanese studio makes a western-style RPG, they are making a WRPG. Similarly, a western studio could make a JRPG. The W and J refers to the style of the RPG, not the region of the world in which the game was made.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 RavenLoud

smerlus

Actually you have more trouble trying to understand what the other is explaining. We are not debating the origin of the term "scratch damage" which would predate the existence of video games by a long shot. Of course, why listen to arguments when you can shape the debate in the rules of your own little world.
brennanhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 brennanhuff
Member since 2011 • 957 Posts

It's ridiculous to classify a genre based upon where the game originated from. If a Japanese studio makes a western-style RPG, they are making a WRPG. Similarly, a western studio could make a JRPG. The W and J refers to the style of the RPG, not the region of the world in which the game was made.PurpleMan5000

This used to be common knowledge.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

That's pretty much my point.

All other genres ARE similar be they from Japan or America or Europe. RPGs being incredibly different in a ton of cases between these regions. That's why many others, and myself, have argued for the terms being used based on sty|e/genre differences rather than geographic differences.

I wouldn't go that far. From Software specifically stated that their game was heavily rooted elsewhere; IE NOT Japanese RPGs. They weren't saying they were a higher ****of Japanese gaming, or something like that.

As far as I'm concerned America is to Japan's east :cool:

But seriously it's not right to consider the entire world "the west", but that's currently the system in place for RPGs that aren't made in Japan.

Damn straight

1. But how many western influences does a japanese developer have to use before their game accidentally becomes a wrpg? If FF XIIIII has freedom of choice is it all of a sudden a wrpg? or do they have to throw in a large world like TeS along with freedom of choice? Demon Souls still has the stylized japanese art going on for it. It's one of the better looking games especially when it comes to enemy creatures. The west just dosn't compete with that. 2. Like i mentioned earlier, it would also be a good form of hype for their game. These days JRPGs just aren't selling like they used to especially when it's a new title. WRPGs are the thing now so wouldn't it make good marketing sense for them to jump on the band wagon and say jrpgs suck and we dont want our game to be called a jrpg? 3. I would also account for korean games as jrpgs because they follow the same style and are in that region.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 190586385885857957282413308806

RavenLoud

Actually you have more trouble trying to understand what the other is explaining. We are not debating the origin of the term "scratch damage" which would predate the existence of video games by a long shot. Of course, why listen to arguments when you can shape the debate in the rules of your own little world.

So wait. you had trouble reading what i wrote and now you want to turn around and say I had trouble? The nerve of kids these days.

The person i've been quoting said there are a things that jrpgs haven't borrowed from the west and then names a phrase that the west had already defined years back. That's what I found to be ironic.

The type of damage dealing he described wasn't even invented by jrpg developers anyways as it is found in various fighting games so that point is moot.

So the whole scratch damage argument is done. JRPG devs stole the phrase and then borrowed from another genre...way to pioneer.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 hakanakumono

It's also text book posting on System Wars when you no longer have a point to start throwing out words like Red Herring and Straw Man.smerlus

Or it means you have an understanding of logical fallacies and that the opposing person is failing to construct an argument. Oh, the irony.

You did finally mention fighting games, I'll give you that. Though it doesn't support your original argument and I'm not certain that it actually works in the same way (in whatever fighting games you're not referring to directly), but it doesn't matter anyways. It's too late.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448 190586385885857957282413308806

[QUOTE="smerlus"]It's also text book posting on System Wars when you no longer have a point to start throwing out words like Red Herring and Straw Man.hakanakumono

Or it means you have an understanding of logical fallacies and that the opposing person is failing to construct an argument. Oh, the irony.

You did finally mention fighting games, I'll give you that. Though it doesn't support your original argument and I'm not certain that it actually works in the same way (in whatever fighting games you're not referring to directly), but it doesn't matter anyways. It's too late.

nah it's a crutch people like to use on here plain and simple. You honestly want to tell me that it makes sense that you say something is unbelievable then end up offering more examples than i did? Or how about those words you put in my mouth to make youself look right? I'm glad at least you admit that scratch damage was taken from another genre all together....there goes your pioneer statement. So if calling you out on BS qualifies me for those types than i'm a Red Strawman Herring
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 RavenLoud

So wait. you had trouble reading what i wrote and now you want to turn around and say I had trouble? The nerve of kids these days.

The person i've been quoting said there are a things that jrpgs haven't borrowed from the west and then names a phrase that the west had already defined years back. That's what I found to be ironic.

The type of damage dealing he described wasn't even invented by jrpg developers anyways as it is found in various fighting games so that point is moot.

So the whole scratch damage argument is done. JRPG devs stole the phrase and then borrowed from another genre...way to pioneer.

smerlus

Your condescending patronization lead me to believe that you are probably trolling. That or you are simply the kind of self-righteous and self-absorbed egomaniac that can't stand to take criticism or admit faults in yourself. I'd go with a bit of both. The lack of substance in your argument is also quite indicative, you have yet to provide evidence of any type. Relying on the high horse of "common knowledge" won't get you as far as you think, sorry.

:lol: Sure, the debate is done even though you never really participated because you still don't know what scratch damage is in RoF or what part of scratch damage really mattered in this argument. Here's a thought: the origin of the term was never the point he was trying to make. You brought it up for no reason.

Or how about those words you put in my mouth to make youself look right? So if calling you out on BS qualifies me for those types than i'm a Red Strawman Herringsmerlus
Too ironic, both the FF overstylization comment and this mysterious subject on the origin of the term scratch damage are nothing else than a desperate, idiotic and insecure attempt at deliberate misinterpretation and putting words in others mouth to make yourself look good. The definition of a strawman argument is to attack a made up position that no one has actually claimed, I'd say that fit your case pretty well. Did anyone claim that scratch damage did not came from fighting games or if the term wasn't used in another game albeit with a completely different concept? You still have not shown a WRPG that features something like that type of scratch damage. No it isn't about who is the super RPG hipster that knows the origin of the term or how it came from other genres. This argument started when you said WRPGs pionneered every single mechanic that has been present in a JRPG. Obviously it has some truth to it, but it was a rash hyperbole. You opted to just save face in interesting ways when confronted, I must say. (I'd also say that it worked against you for I actually gave credibility to your earlier posts, a bit less now.)

Now this is a honest question, I have not played a fighting game with the concept of healing scratch damage vs. direct damage, perhaps you would enlighten me.

Before we go into the inevitable spiral of where innovation came from: everything was inspired from something else, we would never get to the end of where originality comes from. Innovate =! necessarily make revolutionary changes, it just have to improve and add new things. Not all innovations are good either, in fact innovation for the sake of innovation can often hurt a game.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#450 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Whatever Dark Souls is, it's a got damn good RPG.