For those in denial, Dark Souls is JRPG, not a WRPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

6yadayada9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 6yadayada9
Member since 2011 • 89 Posts

13+ pages over a trivial technicality? Really? :roll:

You guys need lives.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#252 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

I always thought it referred to the type of gameplay. Even if the game was made in Japan, if it has all the elements of a WRPG it is a WRPG. It's called a WRPG because that type of gameplay is popular in the west regardless of where the game is made.

should just avoid confusion and call it an ARPG anyways.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

13+ pages over a trivial technicality? Really? :roll:

You guys need lives.

6yadayada9
people are wrong on the internet!
Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#254 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
It's a WRPG and end of story. Why is there a distinction in the first pace? I mean is the distinction there because of what country the game was made in? IWhat about RPG's that are made in Jamaica? are they JRPG's as well? or should we just call them JARPGS? what about games made in Wales we shoud call them WRPG but how are we gonna differ it from an american WRPG? The souls games are both WRPG's the reason people deny this is because they want japan to get some credit from the JRPG genre that they've been lacking this gen.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#255 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14947 Posts

[QUOTE="musalala"]

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

What does that even mean in response to his post?

hakanakumono

was confused as well, I actually think Texas (who is a well known JRPG hater of note particularly of Final Fanatsy ) was actually complimenting Dark souls

It's not really a compliment. He's basically saying that Dark Souls is only good because it's trying not to be a JRPG, but naturally, being a Japanese made RPG, it's still not very good.

or how about before the new patch, the game was highly unbalanced and easily broken by exploits, defeating the purpose of the games difficulty?
musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#256 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

It's a WRPG and end of story. Why is there a distinction in the first pace? I mean is the distinction there because of what country the game was made in? IWhat about RPG's that are made in Jamaica? are they JRPG's as well? or should we just call them JARPGS? what about games made in Wales we shoud call them WRPG but how are we gonna differ it from an american WRPG? The souls games are both WRPG's the reason people deny this is because they want japan to get some credit from the JRPG genre that they've been lacking this gen.Chrome-

LOL this is so true if you think about, So the only way for japanese games to be popular again in the west is for them to emulate western games. I wonder if dark souls would have been popular if it had been made over the top and anime like Final Fantasy.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
JRPGs and WRPGs are usually distinguished by their game design not the location and ethnicity of the dev crew. A western dev could create a JRPG if they wanted too.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Oh of course, lol, because it's Japanese.

musalala

What does that even mean in response to his post?

was confused as well, I actually think Texas (who is a well known JRPG hater of note particularly of Final Fanatsy ) was actually complimenting Dark souls

FFVI and Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, SD3, Legend of Mana, Suikoden II, Mother 2 and 3, Ogre Battle series, are some of my fave games. However, the FF series VII and after (even IX somewhat, although is a great return to series roots) and SquareEnix represents everything wrong with the JRPG genre today.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#259 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

So judging by last few pages, this thread is one of the few where we actually reached general consensus regarding the topic. To sum it up:

1. WRPG vs JRPG is matter of genres, not purely locations of developement.
  2. Dark Souls is a WRPG.

Right?

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 musalala

So judging by last few pages, this thread is one of the few where we actually reached general consensus regarding the topic. To sum it up:

1. WRPG vs JRPG is matter of genres, not purely locations of developement.
  2. Dark Souls is a WRPG.

Right?

BlbecekBobecek

Yes

No its a Japanese game with some WRPG elements

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#261 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

What exactly makes Dark Souls a WRPG? The fact that it isn't turn based? :roll:

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

parkurtommo

So is jrpg b.c is made in Japan!?

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 BlbecekBobecek

parkurtommo

1) Aesthetics - Environments are typical middle-age Europe (gothic and roman architecture), weapons and armors are generally middle-age european too. Dragons are typical european dragons too (this made a few people laugh because of their lack of education, so I will post a link here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_dragon). The same can be said about most weapons and armor and basically about anything in the game.

2) Artistic style - Well, this one is obvious. Dark Souls is much closer to typical WRPGs like Dragon Age Origins as well as to such WRPG classics like Dungeon Master, Wizardry series, Ultima series, etc. etc. and its basically as far from JRPG anime-like artistic style as you can get.

3) Storytelling (or the lack off) - One of the signs of JRPGs is that they are dialogue-heavy. The story is very thought out and someone always has to state even the obious just in case players would miss it. A contrario storytelling in Demons/Dark Souls is minimalistic and mostly resembles Diablo (and - of course - Dungeon Master).

4) Characters- You dont play a kid or an adolescent and the game doesnt begin in your room with mum calling you for a breakfast in Dark Souls. The Characters dont try to solve their past, there is little emotional stuff. When a character dies, there is nothing at all pathetic about it. Some fans of JRPG (and I consider myself a fan of JRPGs) could say that characters in DS are shallow, but I dont think so, I think their story is just told in a different way.

5) Gameplay- JRPGs combat system typically uses menu system to start attacks and cast spells. WRPGs are typically real time (again to name a few - Dungeon Master, Diablo, TES series, Gothic/Risen series, Withcer series etc. etc.). There are exceptions breaking the rule though.

6) Mythology- You are undead, enemies are skeletons, the various bosses are obviously inspired by pagan mythology (=mythology of european nations before they accepted christianity), I already mentioned dragons, the origin of the world is also a mixture of various pagan mythologies.

And Im sure I could go on for a few more points, but I think this more than enough. Its obvious that the intentionof developers was to have nothing in common with JRPGs and they were very carefull about that.

Just for the record - I love JRPGs and I play them a lot, but I just know WRPG when I see one.

EDIT: By "roman architecture" I meant "romanesque architecture" - English is not my native language so I confused the two, sorry for that.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
We dont make "swedish rpg's" or "english rpg's" or "swedish fps" or "danish tbs" or... well you get the point.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

sts106mat

1) Aesthetics - Environments are typical middle-age Europe (gothic and roman architecture), weapons and armors are generally middle-age european too. Dragons are typical european dragons too (this made a few people laugh because of their lack of education, so I will post a link here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_dragon). The same can be said about most weapons and armor and basically about anything in the game.

2) Artistic style - Well, this one is obvious. Dark Souls is much closer to typical WRPGs like Dragon Age Origins as well as to such WRPG classics like Dungeon Master, Wizardry series, Ultima series, etc. etc. and its basically as far from JRPG anime-like artistic style as you can get.

3) Storytelling (or the lack off) - One of the signs of JRPGs is that they are dialogue-heavy. The story is very thought out and someone always has to state even the obious just in case players would miss it. A contrario storytelling in Demons/Dark Souls is minimalistic and mostly resembles Diablo (and - of course - Dungeon Master).

4) Characters- You dont play a kid or an adolescent and the game doesnt begin in your room with mum calling you for a breakfast in Dark Souls. The Characters dont try to solve their past, there is little emotional stuff. When a character dies, there is nothing at all pathetic about it. Some fans of JRPG (and I consider myself a fan of JRPGs) could say that characters in DS are shallow, but I dont think so, I think their story is just told in a different way.

5) Gameplay- JRPGs combat system typically uses menu system to start attacks and cast spells. WRPGs are typically real time (again to name a few - Dungeon Master, Diablo, TES series, Gothic/Risen series, Withcer series etc. etc.). There are exceptions breaking the rule though.

6) Mythology- You are undead, enemies are skeletons, the various bosses are obviously inspired by pagan mythology (=mythology of european nations before they accepted christianity), I already mentioned dragons, the origin of the world is also a mixture of various pagan mythologies.

And Im sure I could go on for a few more points, but I think this more than enough. Its obvious that the intentionof developers was to have nothing in common with JRPGs and they were very carefull about that.

Just for the record - I love JRPGs and I play them a lot, but I just know WRPG when I see one.

EDIT: By "roman architecture" I meant "romanesque architecture" - English is not my native language so I confused the two, sorry for that.

People laughed at your post about regarding dragons because it seemed to imply that by including dragons that is somehow made the game was a western RPG.

LOL at your condesending attitude.

Think of the far east and its not long before china enters your head, ask 100 people to name a symbol associated with china, a great majority would give you dragon as their first answer. thats what was funny and you know it, not because people need educating.

You need educating as hell, because you missed my point completely. My point is that the dragons are typically European. There is a difference between chinese dragons and european dragons (check the link). :roll:

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]

People laughed at your post about regarding dragons because it seemed to imply that by including dragons that is somehow made the game was a western RPG.

LOL at your condesending attitude.

Think of the far east and its not long before china enters your head, ask 100 people to name a symbol associated with china, a great majority would give you dragon as their first answer. thats what was funny and you know it, not because people need educating.

sts106mat

You need educating as hell, because you missed my point completely. My point is that the dragons are typically European. There is a difference between chinese dragons and european dragons (check the link). :roll:

No S*** sherlock, i understand that what you did was clarify a point. you seemed to have missed my point though, that people laughed because of how the original was worded that is all. you cannot educate me about dragons, you can try though.

dragons are not typical european, the dragons in demon souls, might be european style dragons, that is all.

Yea now I see, sorry for that. As I said english is not my native so I missed the joke about the wording till now.

Lets not let the point of my post drown in this rubbish though ;)

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

BlbecekBobecek

There are many RPGs from japan that don't fit your stereotyping. I'll say it again, nothing about the words "japanese" and "western" give any distinction to gameplay or thematical elements. Those aspects are shoe horned in by people trying to find ways to seperate certain styles of gameplay. JRPG and WRPG shouldn't exist in the first place. No other genre has these distinctions despite the fact that there are several different elements and ways to make an adventure game or a platformer. Its because the distinctions are pretty damn arbitrary and people just wanna b**** about something. So basically, if you wanna classify the games, use common sense and ask yourself, if you brought this question to someone who didn't play games, what description would they chose? Would it be the one people here have which throws hundreds of points in several different topics to build some sort of argument (to which you all have varying points and contradicting theories anyway) or the common sense point in which it refers to exactly what the name implies; made in the western world vs made in Japan? (sure if you want to get specific the west is not Europe but its more along the lines really of western world culture in which NA is based strongly off of Europe)

darkad1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 darkad1
Member since 2005 • 665 Posts

It's true actually, JRPG isn't exactly a genre.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
There are many RPGs from japan that don't fit your stereotyping.ActicEdge
Using common sense, if you asked someone that doesn't play games what description they'd choose... they wouldn't even have any idea that the word 'RPG' is a thing. :P The thing about terminology is that it does not always have to be taken 100% literally, nor is it supposed to be. Words can mean things other than the literal interpretation when arranged in certain ways for the sake of definition. Look at beer - you're going to *seriously* try and argue that IPAs (India Pale Ales, as opposed to regular Pale Ales) are supposed to be from India because of their name?
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

ActicEdge

There are many RPGs from japan that don't fit your stereotyping.I'll say it again, nothing about the words "japanese" and "western" give any distinction to gameplay or thematical elements.Those aspects are shoe horned in by people trying to find ways to seperate certain styles of gameplay. JRPG and WRPG shouldn't exist in the first place. No other genre has these distinctions despite the fact that there are several different elements and ways to make an adventure game or a platformer. Its because the distinctions are pretty damn arbitrary and people just wanna b**** about something. So basically, if you wanna classify the games, use common sense and ask yourself, if you brought this question to someone who didn't play games, what description would they chose? Would it be the one people here have which throws hundreds of points in several different topics to build some sort of argument (to which you all have varying points and contradicting theories anyway) or the common sense point in which it refers to exactly what the name implies; made in the western world vs made in Japan? (sure if you want to get specific the west is not Europe but its more along the lines really of western world culture in which NA is based strongly off of Europe)

Of course, there will always be exceptions from the rule. Its only a matter of terminology - its a fact that there are two different "types" of RPGs and for some reasons the people got used to use the terms JRPG and WRPG to distinguish them.

You cant bring the difference between "death metal" and "black metal" to someone who doesnt listen to metal and expect him to chose description

edit: sorry for the colors, its not intention, I just cant get them right for some reason :)

Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Aquaunitpatrol
Member since 2011 • 515 Posts

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

What is a chinese RPG? Its not western... Its not Japanese...

RavenLoud

Chinese people make games? I'm pretty sure that Mexico makes the discs, so that can't be true.....

Yes, Chinese people make games, but they are not known outside of domestic PC market (which wasn't that big until recently). I have played a few "CRPGs" that are loosely based on ancient Chinese folklore settings with stories similar to JRPGs (i.e. some dude from some village vs. the world). Consoles are banned in China btw.

The Vii and the Gameking are chinese game systems so of course they make games.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#275 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

I think after the 80's the term jRPG became more about the type of gameplay than to tell where the game comes from.

For example, I see Anachronox as a jRPG not made in Japan, while Dark Souls as an wRPG (an action-RPG to be more accurate) made in Japan.

Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Aquaunitpatrol
Member since 2011 • 515 Posts

I think after the 80's the term jRPG became more about the type of gameplay than to tell where the game comes from.

For example, I see Anachronox as a jRPG not made in Japan, while Dark Souls as an wRPG (an action-RPG to be more accurate) made in Japan.

RyuRanVII
Here's the p[roblem with a lot of posters here. Dark Souls...is not... a **** WRPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goo god guys there nothing Wrpg about it. Unless difficulty is the only way to determine that. Now point 2 for those saying it's region oriented it is NOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! For example, Anime used to be just another way of saying cartoon. Heck anime cartoons looked like anyother cartoon until that one style became so pupular that (Lazy) japanese people used the same style over and over and over. Now we use Anime to describe the style of cartoons. Same with Jrpg, it was ok at first and yet they and everyone else did the same thing over and over and over again (and ironically also became anime oriented.) and they are Jrpgs. The only type of rpg that usually changes without consisten repeating of the formual are Wrpgs. The problem with this is there are people actually thinking Bethesda is the only Wrpg developer.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#278 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

BlbecekBobecek

I disagree with the aesthetics and artistic style parts of your "explanation", if actually pay attention to the armor and weapons in Dark Souls you can CLEARLY see that they are Japanese, have you seen the size of Smough's hammer? The complete nonsense that makes the demon great machete a strong weapon? About the art style, the level design is completely the opposite of games like Elder Scrolls, the only area of the game that even remotely resembles European architecture is the undead parish. From Software's intention was to make an RPG like western ones, but like Demon's Souls, they failed miserably.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

If we're using regions, it defaults to the region in which the game is made. It isn't "Japanese-styled Role Playing game"..AncientDozer
Actually people who argue about DS being wRPG think just the opossite of thar..ie..that jRPG=japanese-styled RPG.

And it makes sense. Afterall, we have stuff like Mount & Blade, King'a Bounty or Witcher 2 being called 'wRPGs", while geographically they weren't created in the West

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="RyuRanVII"]

Aquaunitpatrol
Here's the p[roblem with a lot of posters here. Dark Souls...is not... a **** WRPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goo god guys there nothing Wrpg about it. Unless difficulty is the only way to determine that. Now point 2 for those saying it's region oriented it is NOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! For example, Anime used to be just another way of saying cartoon. Heck anime cartoons looked like anyother cartoon until that one style became so pupular that (Lazy) japanese people used the same style over and over and over. Now we use Anime to describe the style of cartoons. Same with Jrpg, it was ok at first and yet they and everyone else did the same thing over and over and over again (and ironically also became anime oriented.) and they are Jrpgs. The only type of rpg that usually changes without consisten repeating of the formual are Wrpgs. The problem with this is there are people actually thinking Bethesda is the only Wrpg developer.

So there is nothing WRPG in Dark Souls about fully customizable player character who is silent, dark aesthtic and environment based of European Gothic art, moral decisions and choice and consquence (what JRPG lets you attack shopkeepers?), morally ambiguity (the light side in Dark Souls is far more untruthful than the dark side), and much more. Face it Dark Souls IS a WRPG, a spiritual successor of the King's Field series, which is HIGHLY inspired by Ultima Underworld.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Imagine in a parallel universe where Skyrim was made by a Japanese thread. I can see sw arguing that being jrpg because the devs are made in Japan rather than western region *facepalms*.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Its a JRPG with WRPG influences.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
The fact that in Dark Souls your hero doesn't have amnesia, spikey hair, and doesn't have to save the world means its stripped of its JRPG elements. Thank gawd there's no stupid towns or endless yacking NPC's. The world is silent, dangerous, and the story is told with some text and mostly in the atmosphere and environment. It's clearly influenced by the west.
Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 Chrome-
Would you buy Half Life 2 to a die hard FPS fan? Now would you buy Dark Souls to a die hard JRPG fan? Think about it.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts
Would you buy Half Life 2 to a die hard FPS fan? Now would you buy Dark Souls to a die hard JRPG fan? Think about it.Chrome-
Yes to both. There are far harder Japanese games than Dark Souls.
Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

let's forget about all this. I'm off to play that WFPS everyone is talking about, followed by that Jplatformer and a bit of the PRPG later on.

No? Hmm. Wonder why that could be.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Chrome-

Imagine in a parallel universe where Skyrim was made by a Japanese thread. I can see sw arguing that being jrpg because the devs are made in Japan rather than western region *facepalms*.

Bikouchu35
What? what you just said makes literally no sense.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#288 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Hmmm so this game seems to be two subgenres...Action RPG and Western RPG/Japanese RPG...only thing is one of these isn't a subgenre.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="Chrome-"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

What he's trying to say is that if Atlus made Skyrim would it be a JRPG?
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#290 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Would you buy Half Life 2 to a die hard FPS fan? Now would you buy Dark Souls to a die hard JRPG fan? Think about it.Chrome-

I see the point you're trying to make, but keep in mind that I firstly hate the J and W in front of the RPG, as I stated in the OP. But I always took them to be an indicator of what region the games were made, not as a subgenre of RPGs. I follow the action, turn-based, tactical, strategy, etc of RPGs subgenres.

I love The Witcher, but I also Lost Odyssey. I love The Elder Scrolls but I also love Tales of Vesperia. For me there are only RPGs. But if I'm stuck in a world where J and W are placed in front of RPG, then I use them only as an indicator of what region a game is from.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#291 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="Chrome-"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

smerlus

Why wouldn't it?

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#292 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Well duh it's made by Namco Bandai.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

[QUOTE="smerlus"]What he's trying to say is that if Atlus made Skyrim would it be a JRPG?NeonNinja

Why wouldn't it?

^This.

This topic reminds me of discussions like "is Avatar: TLA a cartoon or Anime?" when the answer is pretty obvious.

Some people think something has to be a "certain" way to be grouped with things that are different, even though the term "JRPG" means Japanese RPG.

An RPG can't be a JRPG if it is not from Japan. And an RPG can't be a Western RPG unless it is from the West.

I don't know where people get this idea that these terms are not strictly regional, but are their own genres.

A RPG doesn't have to have spiky haired kids and a turn-based battle system to be a JRPG, it just has to be from Japan.

But I say, let people call it what they wan't. If you like RPGs in general, then it shouldn't matter if it's a JRPG or a WRPG.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 190586385885857957282413308806

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="Chrome-"] What? what you just said makes literally no sense.NeonNinja

Why wouldn't it?

You're preaching to the choir. I was explaining it not arguing the point.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
Why is there a distinction between the two?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 190586385885857957282413308806
Why is there a distinction between the two?Silverbond
because both regions have different design philosophies
musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 musalala

Wasn"t this sorted already? I thought it was agreed that JRPG and WRPG had more to do with style than geographical location or am I missing something?

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="Silverbond"]Why is there a distinction between the two?smerlus
because both regions have different design philosophies

for most of the time, not always...
musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 musalala

And why are people convinently ignoring The interview Makari posted in which the devs basically say the wanted to make a a game that had WRPG elementsbased on fantasy novels of wizadry, whichh are the primary influence on WRPG.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/interview-demons-souls

Likewise, the dark, heavy fantasy setting runs contrary to the JRPG's ongoing primary-coloured charm aesthetic, while the ponderous, precise nature of the combat contains none of the insta-thrill of its exuberant, button-mashing contemporaries

I'm no fan of the genre westerners refer to as the JRPG," says Takeshi Kajii ( even he makes a distiction)

This ends the ENTIRE thread, unless the dark souls fanboys want to act as though the designers themselves are delusional?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 190586385885857957282413308806

And why are people convinently ignoring The interview Makari posted in which the devs basically say the wanted to make a a game that had WRPG elementsbased on fantasy novels of wizadry, whichh are the primary influence on WRPG.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/interview-demons-souls

Likewise, the dark, heavy fantasy setting runs contrary to the JRPG's ongoing primary-coloured charm aesthetic, while the ponderous, precise nature of the combat contains none of the insta-thrill of its exuberant, button-mashing contemporaries

I'm no fan of the genre westerners refer to as the JRPG," says Takeshi Kajii ( even he makes a distiction)

This ends the ENTIRE thread, unless the dark souls fanboys want to act as though the designers themselves are delusional?

musalala

Peter M said Fable 1 was going to be the best RPG ever, people from BioWare said Dragon Age 2's dumbing down was in fact added depth. if we listen to game developers then nothing would be accomplished