For those in denial, Dark Souls is JRPG, not a WRPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Wow this is pathetic. This stupid flaming allowance is making everyone a jack ass, I think they should stop this stupid novelty.

OB-47

"Making everyone a jackass"?

Naive much?

If anything System Wars finally arrived to the point it was always meant to be. Being moderated for having a tone that even just slightly deviates from herp derp everyone loves everyone else is the reason a lot of people didn't even bother with System Wars in the first place and the reason many people left.

On topic, why was this thread necessary? The number of people I saw calling Dark Souls a WRPG could be counted on one hand.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#152 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It all depends whether you consider jRPG to mean "japanese RPGs" or "japanese-styled RPGs"

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#153 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"][QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"]For those in denial, Dark Souls is terrible, not great.Kolev_Plus
Skyrim fanboy I take it? You know, it IS possible to enjoy both games. No one will look down on you for it.

Haven't played, probably won't. Oblivion was terrible.

So you hate RPGs, I get it. Also you seem to be a troll, is this true?
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 N30F3N1X

So you hate RPGs, I get it. Also you seem to be a troll, is this true?parkurtommo

"hate RPGs"?

It's more likely he actually knows something about them.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]So you hate RPGs, I get it. Also you seem to be a troll, is this true?N30F3N1X

"hate RPGs"?

It's more likely he actually knows something about them.

He probably hasn't even played Dark Souls, and if he did I doubt he'll get far with that childish attitude
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

Spectacular, spectacular thread fail.

"I'm no fan of the genre westerners refer to as the JRPG"
-Demon's Souls / Dark Souls producer

"I've always loved the dark fantasy genre, from Wizardry [American RPG] right through to King's Field [Japanese, first-person RPG]. Yet games that assume that aesthetic these days are usually, at their heart, more like science-fiction. So my desire was to revisit this lost area of gaming, to rediscover a charismatic corner of the medium."
- Demon's Souls / Dark Souls producer

"...But I'd always wanted to make a dark fantasy game that drew on the Fighting Fantasy series of books [American series, by Steve Jackson]. The Demon's Souls project was that opening that I'd always been waiting for."
- Demon's Souls / Dark Souls director

Just saying - they seem to recognize that there is a distinguishing line drawn between JRPG and WRPG in this part of the world, and they specifically set out to not make what we would call a JRPG.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 N30F3N1X

He probably hasn't even played Dark Souls, and if he did I doubt he'll get far with that childish attitudeparkurtommo

What has that to do with hating RPGs :? ?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]He probably hasn't even played Dark Souls, and if he did I doubt he'll get far with that childish attitudeN30F3N1X

What has that to do with hating RPGs :? ?

I'm referring more to his statement prior to yours, it's still relevant
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

What is a chinese RPG? Its not western... Its not Japanese...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

MacBoomStick
CRPG of course.
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#161 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

"I've always loved the dark fantasy genre, from Wizardry [American RPG] right through to King's Field [Japanese, first-person RPG]. Yet games that assume that aesthetic these days are usually, at their heart, more like science-fiction. So my desire was to revisit this lost area of gaming, to rediscover a charismatic corner of the medium."

"...But I'd always wanted to make a dark fantasy game that drew on the Fighting Fantasy series of books [American series, by Steve Jackson]. The Demon's Souls project was that opening that I'd always been waiting for."

Just saying - they seem to recognize that there is a distinguishing line drawn between JRPG and WRPG in this part of the world, and they specifically set out to not make what we would call a JRPG.

Makari

Got a link?

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Kolev_Plus
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Skyrim fanboy I take it? You know, it IS possible to enjoy both games. No one will look down on you for it.

Haven't played, probably won't. Oblivion was terrible.

So you hate RPGs, I get it. Also you seem to be a troll, is this true?

Yes, I just hate RPG'S, What with my game of the gen being Fallout 3 and Deus Ex HR, and my Most anticipated title for 2012 being The Witcher 2. Nice assumptions there sh*t for brains. My comment seems to have upset a lot of weak minded people.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#163 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Do we call games WFPS (western FPS)? EUFPS (european FPS?)? No, because they're the same. WRPG's and JRPG's tend to be different, as I said.SaltyMeatballs

You could actually make a distinction between Eastern-European FPSs and American FPSs. The difference would be based on generalisations, and rather hard to capture in words, but it's certainly there.

There'll always be exceptions, cross-overs, and dubious cases, but I think we all know roughly what a person means when they refer to a typical JRPG or a typical WRPG.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
Wow, this ToU change is horrible. I'm seeing insults from the first page!
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Im sorry, neonninja, but ur wrong on this one.

JRPGs vs WRPGs are terms used by gamers to talk about games (just like FPS, RTS and other terms). The reason you use these terms is because when you want to tell your fellow gamer about a game you enjoyed, you want to describe it as close as possible. Thats why you say "Its a FPS" (and he will know that its something like Halo), "its a JRPG" (and he will know its something like Final Fantasy) or "its a WRPG" and he will know its something like Witcher 2.

Maybe its confusing for you that those terms contain the words "japanese" and "western" to distinguish those genres - well thats because most JRPGs happen to be developed by japanese developers while most WRPGs are developed by western developers, but when you talk with your fellow gamer about the game, the information you want to pass him by stating its an JRPG certainly isnt where the developer happens to come from. You want to tell him what kind of game it is.

That is why there are some great JRPGs developed by western developers (Septerra Core) and WRPGs developed by japanese devs (Demons Souls).

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 BlbecekBobecek

It's racist to say that a JRPG is any RPG made by Japanese people. JRPG is a style of RPG that was made by Japanese people. Dark Souls was a game made by Japanese devs who wanted to make a WRPG. I thought we were attaching these labels to the games, not the people.

GunSmith1_basic

Well said. Its always refreshing to read a post by someone who doesnt lack respect and intelligence.

Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

I still think that the term JRPG and WRPG should die off. I know that they have different elements from each other but we should still use new terms for them instead of J And W RPG.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#168 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
"bububububu there can't be good JRPGs!"
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
JRPG is talking about a particular style of rpg games, while japan is in the name, it's not specifically coming from japan that makes it a jrpg. Dark Souls is really a game that falls more under the western style of rpg which tend to have heavier action elements. Most wrpgs can be considered an action rpg, Or 3rd edition d&d rules which are far and few these days.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Is it developed in Japan? Yes. Is in a Japanese style? No. The rest is semantics.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#171 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
Wow. People getting mad at the wrong people. Amazing. Dark Souls is a JRPG btw.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#172 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
"bububububu there can't be good JRPGs!"BrunoBRS
True story.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="shalashaska88"]Wow. People getting mad at the wrong people. Amazing. Dark Souls is a JRPG btw.

No it isn't, JRPG doesn't describe japonese games, it describes a sub genre of rpg that originated from japan
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 BlbecekBobecek

Wow. People getting mad at the wrong people. Amazing. Dark Souls is a JRPG btw. shalashaska88

You were presented by valid factual arguments in this thread and all you can do is this post? :roll: I have to remember your nickname so that I wont take you seriously by accident on any occassion. :|

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Kolev_Plus
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts

[QUOTE="shalashaska88"]Wow. People getting mad at the wrong people. Amazing. Dark Souls is a JRPG btw. BlbecekBobecek

You were presented by valid factual arguments in this thread and all you can do is this post? :roll: I have to remember your nickname so that I wont take you seriously by accident on any occassion. :|

Mind putting everyone else on ignore so we'll never have to hear from you again?
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18255 Posts

Not gonna lie, i was one of those people who thought it was about the Style of the game, but yeah, i'm agree is much more convinient that way...so yeah, Dark Souls best JRPG this year and also best RPG this year, but only because i didn't play Xenoblade.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#177 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

but only because i didn't play Xenoblade.

madsnakehhh

Or Skyrim, obviously.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#178 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Is this debate going anywhere? Curious, that's all.
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#179 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
Uh, okay... I guess... (?)
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
well it must be a jrpg cause i didnt like it :P
Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Aquaunitpatrol
Member since 2011 • 515 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand how people think JRPG and WRPG are different genres of RPG as opposed to a geographic difference. Let's put our heads together here, folks. JRPG stands for Japanese Role-Playing Game. WRPG stands for Western Role-Playing Game. In an ideal world these stupid titles wouldn't exist because in the end, regardless of where a game is made, it's a ROLE-PLAYING GAME. Regardless, we're stuck with the names, but every time there's a discussion on the top WRPG of the year, some fool has to mention Dark Souls.

It's a JRPG. No, JRPG is not a genre. Action RPG is a genre, which Dark Souls is.

And I know some people will say, "but Dark Souls is nothing like Final Fantasy." That's because Final Fantasy isn't an action-RPG, but they're both JRPGs. You wouldn't go and say King's Bounty and Deus Ex aren't both WRPGs because they play completely differently from one another, so why try and separate Dark Souls from other JRPGs?

Dark Souls is just as much of an action-RPG as Tales of Vesperia is and just as much of an action-RPG as Mass Effect is. You are in full control of your characters actions and success is based just as much on your reflexes as it is your stats.

So let's stamp out the ignorance already, JRPG is not a genre. I don't get why so many users here try and act like JRPGs all suck, but when they find one they like, it suddenly isn't a JRPG. :roll:

NeonNinja
Problem is your wrong. the Jrpg to Wrpg thing happened because of differences of how the games played. But let's be honest, take difficulty out of Darksouls and it is much closer to a Jrpg then a Wrpg. Period.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#182 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

[QUOTE="shalashaska88"]Wow. People getting mad at the wrong people. Amazing. Dark Souls is a JRPG btw. BlbecekBobecek

Oops. Must've gotten excited cause this is my first post here in months. Anyway, I only have one reason and that is it's made by a japanese developer. Man this is embarassing. :P
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

MacBoomStick

Chinese people make games? I'm pretty sure that Mexico makes the discs, so that can't be true.....

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Makari

[QUOTE="Makari"]

jhcho2

Got a link?

Actually making this into a link is proving a huge PITA, but http://www.next-gen.biz/features/interview-demons-souls

If you followed more interviews from around the time, TLDR they were aware of the concept of 'JRPG,' though they don't really use it in Japan (surprise), and set out to specifically make a different kind of game that's more inspired by the old-school RPGs of the late 80's and early 90's, a la Ultima Underworld or something. It's also hard to find interviews from around that time frame - everything on Google's been taken over by more recent Dark Souls discussion.

Also interesting is that everybody hated the game from the get-go and they were all depressed about it before word of mouth made it popular, and that they had to 'hide' the difficulty of the game from the marketing people to get it green-lit in the first place.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Makari
[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="shalashaska88"]Wow. People getting mad at the wrong people. Amazing. Dark Souls is a JRPG btw. shalashaska88

Oops. Must've gotten excited cause this is my first post here in months. Anyway, I only have one reason and that is it's made by a japanese developer. Man this is embarassing. :P

The gist of the debate is that you can call Dark Souls a 'text-based adventure' if you like because you define 'text-based adventure' as 'a game where you die a lot via trial and error,' and that's factually true - you do die a lot! However, the description you're using has an actual definition that is being ignored by you to call it that, just like all the people saying duh it's a JRPG because it's made in japan. What region it is made in has little to do with whether or not something's considered a JRPG - it's the mores of the gameplay and story that define that, such as Anachronox that was made in Texas of all places. Besides all that, the people who made this game are aware of the term and mentioned it - so if somebody wants to say that this is actually one, take it up with them and tell them they're wrong. It's silly. Using the racing game examples here, it's like defining 'arcade racers' as 'games that had an arcade machine release' and leaving it at that rather than looking at the actual gameplay to decide. Say, the F355 Challenge cabinet - that's definitely a racing game. In an arcade cabinet. It's even made by Sega! Arcade racer, though?
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

Tikeio

Chinese people make games? I'm pretty sure that Mexico makes the discs, so that can't be true.....

Yes, Chinese people make games, but they are not known outside of domestic PC market (which wasn't that big until recently). I have played a few "CRPGs" that are loosely based on ancient Chinese folklore settings with stories similar to JRPGs (i.e. some dude from some village vs. the world). Consoles are banned in China btw.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

RavenLoud

Yes, Chinese people make games, but they are not known outside of domestic PC market (which wasn't that big until recently). I have played a few "CRPGs" that are loosely based on ancient Chinese folklore settings with stories similar to JRPGs (i.e. some dude from some village vs. the world). Consoles are banned in China btw.

CRPG is already reserved for computer RPG as well as cRPG for console RPG.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

[QUOTE="RavenLoud"]

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

glez13

CRPG is already reserved for computer RPG as well as cRPG for console RPG.

What about CRPG for Canada RPG? For Bioware games I mean.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

JRPG=RPG made in Japan

WRPG=RPG made in US or Europe

end thread

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

JRPG=RPG made in Japan

end thread

Shenmue_Jehuty
What about RPGs made in Turkey(mount & blade)?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#191 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]but only because i didn't play Xenoblade.

Stevo_the_gamer

Or Skyrim, obviously.

I'm still waiting for that to get fixed, ROFL.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

JRPG=RPG made in Japan

end thread

Shenmue_Jehuty

Nonsense.

We only make the distinction because of the type of game. We do not make any geographical distinction for any other genre. Therefore it's the type of game we are distinguishing not the origin.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

I always thought JRPG denotes a specific aesthetic and game design approach to RPGs employed by Japanese developers. If the distinction is indeed geographical, why don't we also have JFPS, JTPS, JRTS etc.?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

The abbreviations make it pretty clear. One is from Japan. One is from the west. If you wanna describe and group gameplay conventions, just do that. There is no such thing as a western or eastern gaming convention.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

The abbreviations make it pretty clear. One is from Japan. One is from the west. If you wanna describe and group gameplay conventions, just do that. There is no such thing as a western or eastern gaming convention.

ActicEdge

So you're ignoring the fact that JRPGs and WRPGs are distinct types of game? And you're ignoring that as many people have pointed out, we don't make the geographical distinction for ANY other game? We don't have Jplatformers or Eracers or whatever.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Chemical_Viking

So you're ignoring the fact that JRPGs and WRPGs are distinct types of game? And you're ignoring that as many people have pointed out, we don't make the geographical distinction for ANY other game? We don't have Jplatformers or Eracers or whatever.

I would agree with you, the distinction is pretty stupid in of itself. I do think however that the use of "Japanese" or "Western" in front of the "Role Playing Game" doesn't do anything to describe what is so distinct about the games besides their territory. Just as WFPS or JFPS says nothing about what makes the FPS different neither does WRPG or JRPG. That's why the convention is stupid and I simply don't see why you would use it to have some sort of description not relating to the word. I feel that's logical. As I said, there is no such thing as a western or eastern game convention. Its all just mechanics free for use by anyone.

thatisfalse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 thatisfalse
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts
[QUOTE="cainetao11"][QUOTE="thatisfalse"][QUOTE="cainetao11"] so lumping all 360 owners together is open minded?

I believe I can reasonably do so. As crazy as it sounds, I expected this exact same type of petty criticism from the 360 crowd, it was too predictable.

petty criticism because it's an obvious contradiction? I own a 360, play shooters, although only sp, as well as hack n slash, rpgs, occasional platformer. And here at sw in particular there are many of us, OPEN MINDED 360 owners and multiplatform owners. But if that makes you feel smart, powerful, like the man, gamer, boss, so be it.

I'm not doubting there are some open minded 360 owners, but you're a relatively tiny group. If I upset you and made you soil your panties then I apologize.
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

I really enjoy the new ToU

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#199 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

There have been serious arguments that favor the idea that WRPG and JRPG is more to do with the type of game than the region that made the game, and no one is answering these.

Some of you are saying that it is geographical? I am a caucasian from the west, so what if I rented a studio in Tokyo and made an RPG there, but I used all western personel, style, etc.? I guess that would be a JRPG then? LOL. This isn't about geography (as if that would be an interesting descriptor anyway)

Anyone who thinks you have to be Japanese to make a JRPG is a racist, or at best culturally chovanistic.

Nobody is giving a good answer to this and I think it's time that the board acknowledged that Dark Souls is a WRPG (Western-styled Role Playing Game)

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

There have been serious arguments that favor the idea that WRPG and JRPG is more to do with the type of game than the region that made the game, and no one is answering these.

I am a caucasian from the west, so what if I rented a studio in Tokyo and made an RPG there, but I used all western personel, style, etc.? I guess that would be a JRPG then? LOL

Anyone who thinks you have to be Japanese to make a JRPG is a racist, or at best culturally chovanistic.

Nobody is giving a good answer to this and I think it's time that the board acknowledged that Dark Souls is a WRPG (Western-styled Role Playing Game)

GunSmith1_basic

That's because there's no answer to those posts other than "I guess I was wrong"

And nobody likes being wrong, so they'll just ignore them.