For those in denial, Dark Souls is JRPG, not a WRPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thatisfalse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 thatisfalse
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts
Why not just call it a Japanese WRPG? There's a lot of East vs. West going on this gen, I think this is just an example of western gamers claiming a Japanese\\\ title that they like as more inherently western, this way they can like a Japanese title without giving much credit to the Japanese. Honestly, I knew there'd be this kind of crap once the 360 crowd got their hands on the Demon's Souls sequel. Some kind of **** had to happen. It's not a secret they're a closed minded FPS crazed bunch.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Then why distinguish between JRPG and WRPG if they are not different? Let's face it, most of the time WRPG and JRPG's look and play in a different way, they are RPG's but there are differences. People certainly don't point out the origin of the game for no reason...

Dark Souls is just one of those games where it's made in Japan but looks/plays closer to what WRPG's have been.

Do we call games WFPS (western FPS)? EUFPS (european FPS?)? No, because they're the same. WRPG's and JRPG's tend to be different, as I said.

SaltyMeatballs

This is how I feel.

It is like ok I am off to play my JRG (Japanese racing game) GT5 or my WRG (western racing game) Forza 4. They are just called racing games. I seriously do not understand how people can not grasp that the terms were started because of the much different styles of rpgs and not where they were made.

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Kolev_Plus
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Quoting somebody means you're annoyed with them?

Master_ShakeXXX

*sigh* I'm not going to even bother with you. I will say this. the fact that you're even annoyed someone defended me on this holy internet forum is in itself, pathetic. Especially to the degree you took it too. I am sick right now and I needed entertainment. I posted my honest opinion of Dark Souls but did so in a manner that would get unstable people like you both frustrated and typing. I succeeded in both. Dark Souls was, indeed, a terrible game. The fact that you immediately jumped to the conclusion that I was a "Skyrim" Fanboy is where I took my opportunity to have a little fun with you. In a way, I manipulated your pathetically fragile soul. Honestly, the way you acted today makes me quite confused with why you are on such a forum. You are obviously frustrated and the fact that you continue to post and your anger and frustration rised and you did nothing to calm yourself makes me think you get some sort of pleasure with your frustration. That's not very normal last time I checked. Do you find pleasure in Frustration? Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question in case you weren't aware.

That's what trolling is, intentionally trying to get a rise out of people. That's the second time you've admitted to this. And what's with the long-winded post? If anything you're the one who seems annoyed right now soooooo... looks like your trolling attempt backfired :P

Trolling. I consider in "Manipulating the weak minded" But whatever.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#104 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
Okay, but JRPGs are still terribad.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

It doesn't play like any JRPG I've played before. I'm inclined to disagree. People generally don't distinguish JRPG and WRPG solely by country. They distinguish it by gameplay. JRPGs are vastly different to that of WRPGs.

Master_ShakeXXX

It's an RPG both published and developed by Japanese companies, so either way you slice it it's a JRPG.

Made by japanese developers who have been heavily influenced by WRPG developers.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
Okay, but JRPGs are still terribad.Stevo_the_gamer
You Defeated!
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#107 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Man, I'm glad you cleared that up, I was all kinds of f**** up about it.Heil68
awesome! Made me lol
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#108 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="xXShortroundXx"] Yeah, just because it's called Dark Souls dosen't excuse the piss poor frame rate, broken online, cheap difficulty, lack of any story at all and expoiltable glitches and gameplay elements. ;\ don't try and deny it fanboys.cainetao11

I give you poor FPS(though the game still runs smooth most of the time) and horrible matchmaking(though it's a neat set up like Demon's Souls), but the game isn't all cheap, it's pretty fair and challenging, games don't always need a story, and that's easily the gamer's fault, not the game seeing how I didn't use any of that to get closer in beating the game.

I noticed people said demons souls had no story as well. But I seem to remember having to try to liberate Boletaria from something......granted it wasn't a massively fleshed out story line but there was a story.

Lol, Demon's Soulsbarely had a story, Dark Souls is basically about taking down Lord Gywn.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

They're not sub-genres of RPG, neither the W nor the R describes the *TYPE* of the game, therefore they must be describing their origins.

This is how ignorance grows: people passing along false information repeatedly until it's regarded as a fact. Sad really.

TerrorRizzing

I said it before, there are console style and pc style. Before dual analogue most pc style rpgs werent even possible on console, so they made them differently and most console games came out of japan at the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdLX6Ibdnyc again an example of a 2001 pc classic.

Trend/pattern still doesn't overrule genre, however strong they may be. You can say that WRPGs or JRPGs tend to play a certain way, but there's always exceptions and that's when this arbitrary division falls apart.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 cainetao11
[QUOTE="thatisfalse"]Why not just call it a Japanese WRPG? There's a lot of East vs. West going on this gen, I think this is just an example of western gamers claiming a Japanese\\\ title that they like as more inherently western, this way they can like a Japanese title without giving much credit to the Japanese. Honestly, I knew there'd be this kind of crap once the 360 crowd got their hands on the Demon's Souls sequel. Some kind of **** had to happen. It's not a secret they're a closed minded FPS crazed bunch.

so lumping all 360 owners together is open minded?
Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#111 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

It doesn't play like any JRPG I've played before. I'm inclined to disagree. People generally don't distinguish JRPG and WRPG solely by country. They distinguish it by gameplay. JRPGs are vastly different to that of WRPGs.

Master_ShakeXXX

It's an RPG both published and developed by Japanese companies, so either way you slice it it's a JRPG.

Right ok then answer me this is Bayonneta a JRPG or an action adventure game?
thatisfalse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 thatisfalse
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts
[QUOTE="cainetao11"][QUOTE="thatisfalse"]Why not just call it a Japanese WRPG? There's a lot of East vs. West going on this gen, I think this is just an example of western gamers claiming a Japanese\\\ title that they like as more inherently western, this way they can like a Japanese title without giving much credit to the Japanese. Honestly, I knew there'd be this kind of crap once the 360 crowd got their hands on the Demon's Souls sequel. Some kind of **** had to happen. It's not a secret they're a closed minded FPS crazed bunch.

I believe I can reasonably do so. As crazy as it sounds, I expected this exact same type of petty criticism from the 360 crowd, it was too predictable.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#113 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Crossel777

Made by japanese developers who have been heavily influenced by WRPG developers.

I disagree. WRPGs tend to be heavily story driven and that's one of the last things From Software worries about with the Souls games. And in terms of gameplay Dark Souls doesn't play like any WRPG that I've ever witnessed.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Okay, but JRPGs are still terribad.clone01
You Defeated!

I thought that was hilarious when I first saw it in Dark Souls. In the latest patch they changed it to"Victory Achieved" which isn't nearly as funny :P
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#115 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Chrome-

How about simply a bad action game? :]

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Chrome-

I believe hack 'n slash is the sub-genre Bayonetta fits in, along with Ninja Gaiden, DMC, GoW, etc.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Of course its a JRPG lol. Sure doesnt look like one though.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

They're not sub-genres of RPG, neither the W nor the R describes the *TYPE* of the game, therefore they must be describing their origins.

This is how ignorance grows: people passing along false information repeatedly until it's regarded as a fact. Sad really.

Gxgear

I said it before, there are console style and pc style. Before dual analogue most pc style rpgs werent even possible on console, so they made them differently and most console games came out of japan at the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdLX6Ibdnyc again an example of a 2001 pc classic.

Trend/pattern still doesn't overrule genre, however strong they may be. You can say that WRPGs or JRPGs tend to play a certain way, but there's always exceptions and that's when this arbitrary division falls apart.

the division fell apart when people started playing pc style games on console, which is about the same time the term jrpg got coined.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] I said it before, there are console style and pc style. Before dual analogue most pc style rpgs werent even possible on console, so they made them differently and most console games came out of japan at the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdLX6Ibdnyc again an example of a 2001 pc classic.TerrorRizzing

the division fell apart when people started playing pc style games on console, which is about the same time the term jrpg got coined.

In any case, too much confusion surrounds the acronyms for them to be used appropriately. It only makes sense when applied in terms of region.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 cainetao11
[QUOTE="thatisfalse"][QUOTE="cainetao11"][QUOTE="thatisfalse"]Why not just call it a Japanese WRPG? There's a lot of East vs. West going on this gen, I think this is just an example of western gamers claiming a Japanese\\\ title that they like as more inherently western, this way they can like a Japanese title without giving much credit to the Japanese. Honestly, I knew there'd be this kind of crap once the 360 crowd got their hands on the Demon's Souls sequel. Some kind of **** had to happen. It's not a secret they're a closed minded FPS crazed bunch.

I believe I can reasonably do so. As crazy as it sounds, I expected this exact same type of petty criticism from the 360 crowd, it was too predictable.

petty criticism because it's an obvious contradiction? I own a 360, play shooters, although only sp, as well as hack n slash, rpgs, occasional platformer. And here at sw in particular there are many of us, OPEN MINDED 360 owners and multiplatform owners. But if that makes you feel smart, powerful, like the man, gamer, boss, so be it.
Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

I guess to a lot of people when they think of JRPG they think of Anime or anything with a strong Japanese culture in it like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior/Quest, Pokemon, Chrono Series, and Phantasy Star while with WRPG we think of Medievel settings with European Western culture like The Elder Scrolls, Ultima, Dragon Age, Diablo, and WOW.

Because Dark Souls or even Demon Souls looks and feels like a WRPG so some people feel that it isn't a JRPG at all. To me it's seems silly to me. I mean there are tons of JRPG that play or feel different from another such as Pokemon and Valkyria Chronicles which they both have different settings and gameplay and same with WRPG where you have Dragon Age and Fallout who they also have different settings and gameplay. We should call a certain RPG by which gameplay that they are like Action RPG, Real Time RPG, Tactical RPG and etc instead of WRPG and JRPG. Who cares what culture that theycame from.

Dark souls and Elder Scrolls V Skyrim as an example are RPGs which they have different elements from each other and we should use that term instead of what culture they are from.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#122 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

[QUOTE="Chrome-"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

I believe hack 'n slash is the sub-genre Bayonetta fits in, along with Ninja Gaiden, DMC, GoW, etc.

Well according to you it should be a JRPG since it was Published and developed by Japanese companies. Hey we might star calling Skyward Sword a JRPG since that has more in common with JRPG's than Darks Souls has.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

In any case, too much confusion surrounds the acronyms for them to be used appropriately. It only makes sense when applied in terms of region.

ya haha, we could just say anime influenced rpg, dark souls doesnt seem to be inspired by any anime I know of.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Chrome-"] Right ok then answer me this is Bayonneta a JRPG or an action adventure game?Chrome-

Well according to you it should be a JRPG since it was Published and developed by Japanese companies. Hey we might star calling Skyward Sword a JRPG since that has more in common with JRPG's than Darks Souls has.

Bayonetta isn't a RPG though :?

Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#125 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand how people think JRPG and WRPG are different genres of RPG as opposed to a geographic difference. Let's put our heads together here, folks. JRPG stands for Japanese Role-Playing Game. WRPG stands for Western Role-Playing Game. In an ideal world these stupid titles wouldn't exist because in the end, regardless of where a game is made, it's a ROLE-PLAYING GAME. Regardless, we're stuck with the names, but every time there's a discussion on the top WRPG of the year, some fool has to mention Dark Souls.

It's a JRPG. No, JRPG is not a genre. Action RPG is a genre, which Dark Souls is.

And I know some people will say, "but Dark Souls is nothing like Final Fantasy." That's because Final Fantasy isn't an action-RPG, but they're both JRPGs. You wouldn't go and say King's Bounty and Deus Ex aren't both WRPGs because they play completely differently from one another, so why try and separate Dark Souls from other JRPGs?

Dark Souls is just as much of an action-RPG as Tales of Vesperia is and just as much of an action-RPG as Mass Effect is. You are in full control of your characters actions and success is based just as much on your reflexes as it is your stats.

So let's stamp out the ignorance already, JRPG is not a genre. I don't get why so many users here try and act like JRPGs all suck, but when they find one they like, it suddenly isn't a JRPG. :roll:

NeonNinja

Wow, I didn't know people weren't aware of this. It depends on the developers' region that's all.

LoL at the WRPG and JRPG game of the year !!

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] the division fell apart when people started playing pc style games on console, which is about the same time the term jrpg got coined.TerrorRizzing

ya haha, we could just say anime influenced rpg, dark souls doesnt seem to be inspired by any anime I know of.

Or we could just use the correct: Action RPG. Not all JRPGs are inspired by anime, another gross generalization.

It's not that difficult.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Then this and Demons Souls are the only good JRPG's ever released since gaming exists.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#128 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Then this and Demons Souls are the only good JRPG's ever released since gaming exists.silversix_

If you say so, man. I'm quite partial to Tales of Vesperia, myself.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#129 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"] Cause I'm allowed to do what I want and it brings me small joy to see people like you lose there cool and get their ass hurt. Jackdonkey. And the game truly did suck.spookykid143

Ya see that Ninja, ****er just admitted he was trolling. Yet something tells me you're still gonna defend him, for some ****ed up reason.

Why are you so pissed off?

It seems his self worth is linked to people liking him on SW or not.....pretty sad. He always gets upset if people "attack" him. On topic, I agree with TC.
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

The theme for Dark Souls is a Western medieval fantasy theme. Castles, dragons, suits of armor. But the game has a crappy looking UI like most other Japanese games...

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

That's how I prefer to cIassify them (been saying the same thing forever), and it makes sense because it's the way you play them: action, strategy, turn-based, MMO, etc.

I understand how the "J" and "W" prefixes came about, but it pits one island nation against an entire hemisphere of countries. And it always dissolves into a debate of which is superior / inferior. I don't think regions are entitled to designs, just the studios and people who create them. Dark Souls is a Japanese-developed action-RPG. It so happens to be my favorite RPG this year as well (still haven't played Skyrim!).

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Episode_Eve

The theme for Dark Souls is a Western medieval fantasy theme. Castles, dragons, suits of armor. But the game has a crappy looking UI like most other Japanese games...

MacBoomStick

Those concepts are identical to Western medieval fantasy, but they don't define the game's designs. And with those concepts, the game exudes Japanese flair and styIe. In the end, it's an action-RPG made in Japan. :P

It's kinda like calling God of War a "Greek hack 'n slash" because it's based off of Greek mythology. Even then, Dark Souls has its own mythology based on some Western fantasy concepts. But trust me, this game is very "Japanese" in other ways. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I asked a bunch of people about these titles. "Uh, a RPG is an RPG!"

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Episode_Eve

Agreed. Dark Souls is totally WRPG of the Year.Badosh

Lol. All I can say is that it's going to be the RPG and GOTY here at GameSpot. :P

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

I am pretty sure Dark Souls is JRPG...

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
  • The Witcher 2 is a great PRPG (Polish RPG)
  • Mass 2 is a great CRPG (Canadian RPG)
  • Skyrim is a great ARPG (American RPG)
  • Dark Souls is a great JRPG (Japanese RPG)
  • Fable 3 is a great ERPG(English RPG)

See how ridiculous this is :P? I'll just cIassify them by how they play.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 NeonNinja

• The Witcher 2 is a great PRPG (Polish RPG)
  • Mass 2 is a great CRPG (Canadian RPG)
  • Skyrim is a great ARPG (American RPG)
  • Dark Souls is a great JRPG (Japanese RPG)
  • Fable 3 is a great ERPG(English RPG)

See how ridiculous this is :P? I'll just cIassify them by how they play.

TREAL_Since

Those PRPGs are pretty awesome though, man. :P

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

I disagree with the entire OP.

JRPG/WRPG both came to life as terms because there were, and still are, very different ideas, and fundamental aspects that separated the genre between Japan, and the west.

JRPG did NOT, in any universe, come to life as a term because RPGs were being made in Japan. No sir, that is NOT how it began.....

JRPG, and WRPG are "sty|es".

Dark Souls is most certainly NOT a JRPG because the definition for JRPG is NOT "Made in Japan".

Otherwise we better start using JPlatformer, JTPS, JFighter, and JAction/Adventure among others to seperate every other genre by where they're made, but we're not going to do so. Know why? Because that's retarded.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#139 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand how people think JRPG and WRPG are different genres of RPG as opposed to a geographic difference. Let's put our heads together here, folks. JRPG stands for Japanese Role-Playing Game. WRPG stands for Western Role-Playing Game. In an ideal world these stupid titles wouldn't exist because in the end, regardless of where a game is made, it's a ROLE-PLAYING GAME. Regardless, we're stuck with the names, but every time there's a discussion on the top WRPG of the year, some fool has to mention Dark Souls.

It's a JRPG. No, JRPG is not a genre. Action RPG is a genre, which Dark Souls is.

And I know some people will say, "but Dark Souls is nothing like Final Fantasy." That's because Final Fantasy isn't an action-RPG, but they're both JRPGs. You wouldn't go and say King's Bounty and Deus Ex aren't both WRPGs because they play completely differently from one another, so why try and separate Dark Souls from other JRPGs?

Dark Souls is just as much of an action-RPG as Tales of Vesperia is and just as much of an action-RPG as Mass Effect is. You are in full control of your characters actions and success is based just as much on your reflexes as it is your stats.

So let's stamp out the ignorance already, JRPG is not a genre. I don't get why so many users here try and act like JRPGs all suck, but when they find one they like, it suddenly isn't a JRPG. :roll:

NeonNinja

If the letter J in front of the RPG is merely for geographic reference, then why is it that we have it only for the RPG genre? Why isn't there W-Action and J-Action for say....God of War & Devil May Cry respectively? It's obvious that there is enough distinction in JRPGs and WRPGs for them to be classified differently.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

If theres jrpg and wrp then dark souls is a wrpg.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

jhcho2

If the letter J in front of the RPG is merely for geographic reference, then why is it that we have it only for the RPG genre? Why isn't there W-Action and J-Action for say....God of War & Devil May Cry respectively? It's obvious that there is enough distinction in JRPGs and WRPGs for them to be classified differently.

Yeah dark souls fits into the wrpg genre.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#142 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

It's racist to say that a JRPG is any RPG made by Japanese people. JRPG is a style of RPG that was made by Japanese people. Dark Souls was a game made by Japanese devs who wanted to make a WRPG. I thought we were attaching these labels to the games, not the people.

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

It's racist to say that a JRPG is any RPG made by Japanese people. JRPG is a style of RPG that was made by Japanese people. Dark Souls was a game made by Japanese devs who wanted to make a WRPG. I thought we were attaching these labels to the games, not the people.

GunSmith1_basic
It's not racist at all. You wouldn't call it a KoreanRPG because you know it's made by Japanese people, not Koreans. Therefore the logic is simple. comprende, muchacho ?
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 NeonNinja

JRPG/WRPG both came to life as terms because there were, and still are, very different ideas, and fundamental aspects that separated the genre between Japan, and the west.

JRPG did NOT, in any universe, come to life as a term because RPGs were being made in Japan. No sir, that is NOT how it began.....

Dark Souls is most certainly NOT a JRPG because the definition for JRPG is NOT "Made in Japan".

Otherwise we better start using JPlatformer, JTPS, JFighter, and JAction/Adventure among others to seperate every other genre by where they're made, but we're not going to do so. Know why? Because that's retarded.

SW__Troll

You're going to have to tell me what the definition ofa JRPG is in that case. To me it says Japanese RPG. If there's a different definition than enlighten me and I accept it. But until then, JRPG and WRPG are not genres.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#145 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's a hack n slash adventure game hiding in wolfs (RPG) clothing, and a pseudo-rpg at best. As far as whether it's J or W, it's from Japan so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that part out.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

People who think Dark Souls is a WRPG are the same type of people who think Avatar: TLA and The Boondocks are Anime.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

NeonNinja

You're going to have to tell me what the definition ofa JRPG is in that case. To me it says Japanese RPG. If there's a different definition than enlighten me and I accept it. But until then, JRPG and WRPG are not genres.

Rpgs you play mostly for the stories.Thats why the title jrpg and wrpg applies to the games,not the people. Dark souls is a wrpg.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#148 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Well of course it's a JRPG...

The game wasn't made by western devs so it can't be a WRPG.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

NeonNinja

You're using the term incorrectly then.

You might as well just save yourself the trouble, and just label all JRPG/WRPGs as just "RPG".

Or add some extra hassle to your life, and start attaching letters to the front of every other genre depending on wherever the games, within that genre, are made.

So we have Halo as a UFPS for USA FPS

Battlefield is a SFPS for Swedish FPS

Mario is a JPlatformer while Banjo Kazooie is an BPlatformer

And so-on and so-forth.....or is this stupid beyond reason?

Everyone knows what a JRPG looks, and feels like in comparison to an WRPG. You find minimal to no stat trees, no character customization, very linear story lines, no dialogue choices, random encounters, and in many cases they're turn-based. Also, the anime art sty|es give them a nice touch.

With WRPGs you tend to find stat trees, character customization, open-ended stories, heavy dialogue choices, and action-RPG gameplay.

Yes, yes there are outliers. Some JRPGs will use action RPG gameplay in place of turn based, and some WRPGs dont' have character customization.... The seperation between both sty|es came long ago, and the definitions have become more vague, but they still hold in practically every case, and it's still INCREDIBLY possible to understand that Tales of Symphonia looks, feels, and plays entirely different from The Witcher whereas games like Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and Elder Scrolls all share a lot of similarities to The Witcher despite some of them having different camera perspectives, or story settings, or w/e.

A game like Dark Souls shares little-to-no commonalities with games like Final Fantasy, or Tales of Symphonia, and yet shares a ton of them with WRPGs like the ones I've mentioned.

You are using the term 100% incorrectly if you think JRPG = Made in Japan. That's not why the term exists, and that's not what it means. If you don't want to call Dark Souls a WRPG because that feels incorrect then by all means don't call it that, but I'd suggest not calling it a JRPG either. Just call it "RPG".