Five reasons why PC gaming is better than console gaming

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

. And just because you even took the time to post all this, I've been given a glance at your personality and you've shown me how sad and pathetic you are.

AdjacentLives

LOL. You are judging someones personality based on something that took him 5 or 10 minutes to write. I have been given a glance at your personality, and I would tell you what I see, but I would get banned.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Jacobistheman

. And just because you even took the time to post all this, I've been given a glance at your personality and you've shown me how sad and pathetic you are.

AdjacentLives

LOL. You are judging someones personality based on something that took him 5 or 10 minutes to write. I have been given a glance at your personality, and I would tell you what I see, but I would get banned.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#53 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

1. Better graphics/Performance

Sadly pound for pound, and dollar for dollar consoles outperform pcs. If you need high end graphics pc does have the edge, but for $300 out of the box a console is going to win. Hell some people spend 1/2 that on their OS alone.

Just to the OS point, you can play games on free OSes. It might be more work to get them working, but it can be done.

2. More Games

Not all ****c PC games work w/ a new OS hence BC isn't perfect on the pc either.

Legally roms cannot be distributed so for the sake of SW arguements they don't exist. W/out roms legal emulators are useless.

You can legally create your own roms, many dvd drives can create roms from wii, gamecube, ps2, ps1. You can buy adapters for other types of media, or hook your old console directly to your pc sometime. Also, it is legal to get roms, it is just illegal to give them.

Jacobistheman

You made some good points, and I could argue some more of them, but I wanted to adress these two specifically.

hypothetically yes you can play games on linux, but it's not easy nor practical. Wine helps alot, but you still have to do a lot of work yourself, and it also depends on how well your hardware supports linux also (another reason to buy nvidia cards). Not sure how chrome is going to handle it, but it would be nice if it supported games better than linux.

Ok here's the whole legal rundown of roms, and emulators. It's legal to have them, it's not legal to distribute them. This also goes for any hardware, or software that overides any copy protection. Pretty much any talk about roms, or emulators is banned from GS.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#54 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

hypothetically yes you can play games on linux, but it's not easy nor practical. Wine helps alot, but you still have to do a lot of work yourself, and it also depends on how well your hardware supports linux also (another reason to buy nvidia cards). Not sure how chrome is going to handle it, but it would be nice if it supported games better than linux.jrhawk42

My point exactly, hence my satirical"PS3 as a linux PC = no need for Desktop PC" argument.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

hypothetically yes you can play games on linux, but it's not easy nor practical. Wine helps alot, but you still have to do a lot of work yourself, and it also depends on how well your hardware supports linux also (another reason to buy nvidia cards). Not sure how chrome is going to handle it, but it would be nice if it supported games better than linux.Johnny-n-Roger

My point exactly, hence my satirical"PS3 as a linux PC = no need for Desktop PC" argument.

What movie is your avy from? I remember seeing "it" on a picture with Jake Gyllenhaall in a movie theater.
qbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 qbell
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
couch
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Johnny-n-Roger
[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

hypothetically yes you can play games on linux, but it's not easy nor practical. Wine helps alot, but you still have to do a lot of work yourself, and it also depends on how well your hardware supports linux also (another reason to buy nvidia cards). Not sure how chrome is going to handle it, but it would be nice if it supported games better than linux.

What movie is your avy from? I remember seeing "it" on a picture with Jake Gyllenhaall in a movie theater.

Donnie Darko
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

PC gaming is great and all but it's still not better than console gaming. Mainly because you gotta go search around for patches and crap to get games to work and split screen/same screen multiplayer is pretty much non existent.

-supercharged-
I haven't gone looking for patches in years, they are automatic in most games now and every steam game. while on steam just look at all the awesome deals they are doing, and still 2 more days of deals. http://store.steampowered.com/early-holiday any gfw game also automatically patches the game. you will find it harder to find a game with manual patching than automatic patching now. split screen? oh year like the 10% of new console games that actually support it. where is my killzone 2 split screen or fc2, or gta4 or mgs4 or dirt 2 or nfs shift etc etc. few console games have split screen any more and lan is so much better. Splitting the screen in 2/4 just ruins the game no matter how big the screen is. it just wrecks the aspect ratio.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"] steam automatically patches games.savagetwinkie

Oh.. well that wasnt around when I was PC gaming. But I do know it was a major pain in the ass. Glad to see at least that's been taken care. But you can't argue about the offline multiplayer part ;).

unfortunately steam isn't universal or the standard, and it forces you to buy from steam if you want automatic updates, so no hard copy in most cases

who wants space wasting hard copies? any gfw games also automatically update and then you can have your boxed copy.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Johnny-n-Roger

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

Oh.. well that wasnt around when I was PC gaming. But I do know it was a major pain in the ass. Glad to see at least that's been taken care. But you can't argue about the offline multiplayer part ;).

imprezawrx500

unfortunately steam isn't universal or the standard, and it forces you to buy from steam if you want automatic updates, so no hard copy in most cases

who wants space wasting hard copies? any gfw games also automatically update and then you can have your boxed copy.

Who wants a digital copy that is completely worthless to anyone but the person who originally purchased it?

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 imprezawrx500

[QUOTE="Panther023"][QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

5. Cheaper Gaming

While pc gaming may have an initial lower cost per unit you also have to relealize that there's no used pc game market so you are unable to sell games you don't like/play (unable per TOS). Hence you always have to buy pc games pretty close to the retail price, while older console games tend to cost fairly little.

Also more and more pc games are leaning towards monthly costs (MMOs), and don't forget that somebody out there is paying for your dedicated servers which won't be around forever while only a few XBL games are now unavailable (due to a contract w/ EA).

Johnny-n-Roger

I don't know about this point. You can still buy a decent amount of used games on ebay and such. Granted, many games are available for download, but generally you can still find hard copies.

Ebay order, ship, and deliver is hardly comparable in terms of convenience to walking into Gamespot and leaving with a used copy of a console game.

Digital downloads aren't worth anything to anyone else once they've been purchased. The concept is asinine IMO.

and who cares when you look at the deals steam is doing at the moment you would never even get the savings back from the extra you pay on hard copies. unless you sell hard copies within a month of release they are pretty much worthless. $20 for a game is not good value.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] unfortunately steam isn't universal or the standard, and it forces you to buy from steam if you want automatic updates, so no hard copy in most casesJohnny-n-Roger

Who wants a digital copy that is completely worthless to anyone but the person who originally purchased it?

LOL, wut? And is that person going to play the game, if yes, then how is it worthless?

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Johnny-n-Roger

I don't sell any of my games, if you end up selling them then they weren't a memorable experience; where they? Sounds like disposable gaming.

Major_Reeves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Major_Reeves
Member since 2009 • 477 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"][QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] 1. I mean honestly, who needs a Windows PC when they have a PS3? What you can do and what is practical are two different things.

2. Same as above regarding "legal" roms. Where as this is possible, it is not at all practical. Good luck configuring a rig to run a commercial PS2, XBOX, or Gamecube game at a playable speed.

Johnny-n-Roger

Could you write up an essay on a PS3? .

Yes.

Photoshop, maya, cinema 4d, final cut, logic, wow, crysis, stalker, sc2, true hd (lol no 720p or lol 600p), mathematica, burn a cd/dvd/blu ray, do your own mods, play around with the unreal development kit, run simulations, decryption, etc. ?

Can your "ps3 it only does everything" actually do what I mentioned above?

You guys can't even crappy run any sort ppc linux on the slim now.

And IBM provides the cell sdk and a cell emulation tool, the rsx is just a crippled 7800 gt. Emulation would do the trick, after all we're talking about 220 gflops capable hardware.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#65 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] unfortunately steam isn't universal or the standard, and it forces you to buy from steam if you want automatic updates, so no hard copy in most casesJohnny-n-Roger

The person who originally purchased it?

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Johnny-n-Roger
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

who wants space wasting hard copies? any gfw games also automatically update and then you can have your boxed copy. imprezawrx500

LOL, wut? And is that person going to play the game, if yes, then how is it worthless?

You must have misread my post. My point was that by paying for a digital download, you have essentially purchased something that is of no resale value.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Johnny-n-Roger
[QUOTE="Major_Reeves"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

Could you write up an essay on a PS3? .Deadly_Fatalis

Yes.

Photoshop, maya, cinema 4d, final cut, logic, wow, crysis, stalker, sc2, true hd (lol no 720p or lol 600p), mathematica, burn a cd/dvd/blu ray, do your own mods, play around with the unreal development kit, run simulations, decryption, etc. ?

Not my point. I was merely using satire to illustrate that while the PC can do certain things, such as run games in a free linux OS, it is simply not practical. Using the PS3 as a PC is simply not practical.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] Who wants a digital copy that is completely worthless to anyone but the person who originally purchased it?

Johnny-n-Roger

You must have misread my post. My point was that by paying for a digital download, you have essentially purchased something that is of no resale value.

I don't get it then, why don't you just rent the game instead?

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Johnny-n-Roger
[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

I don't sell any of my games, if you end up selling them then they weren't a memorable experience; where they? Sounds like disposable gaming.

That's quite an assumption based on nothing.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Johnny-n-Roger
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

*facepalm* I didn't know trading games was such a foreign concept to you people.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] You must have misread my post. My point was that by paying for a digital download, you have essentially purchased something that is of no resale value.Johnny-n-Roger

*facepalm* I didn't know trading games was such a foreign concept to you people.

Well if your not gona keep the game, why not just rent it... Need logic much?

Panther023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72 Panther023
Member since 2003 • 373 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

AnnoyedDragon

And, indeed, some games are worth disposable gaming...which isn't a bad thing. Many used games for a console right now are about $15. Pick up a game for $15, play it, beat it, sell it for about $15, and then buy the next game that looks interesting. Right now I'm doing this with Mirror's Edge. No way I would have paid $60 for this game when it first came out. But now I bought it for $15, am enjoying playing through it, and will likely pick up Rainbow Six Las Vegas or something and do the same all over again. That's not to say some games aren't worth keeping. Some have great replay value and some, well, it's just nice knowing you own the game and can play it when you want.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

That's quite an assumption based on nothing.Johnny-n-Roger

So it is an assumption based on nothing to think if you sell a game you don't plan on replaying it in the future?

Major_Reeves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Major_Reeves

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] Who wants a digital copy that is completely worthless to anyone but the person who originally purchased it?

Johnny-n-Roger

And why re-sell it?

Wouldn't it be much better to keep it? Since you bought it, means that you liked that X game by what you read on the reviews, forums, gameplay videos, story, etc.

Keeping the game'll let you later experience it again.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Johnny-n-Roger

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]That's quite an assumption based on nothing.AnnoyedDragon

So it is an assumption based on nothing to think if you sell a game you don't plan on replaying it in the future?

That it wasn't a memorable experience.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Johnny-n-Roger
[QUOTE="Major_Reeves"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

And why re-sell it?

Wouldn't it be much better to keep it? Since you bought it, means that you liked that X game by what you read on the reviews, forums, gameplay videos, story, etc.

Because you don't play it much and/or you'd rather be playing something else. And I can't really speak for everyone else, but a game getting good reviews on this or that site is never a guarantee that I'll find it enjoyable or even worthwhile.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Jacobistheman

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

[QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"] Could you write up an essay on a PS3? .Major_Reeves

Yes.

And IBM provides the cell sdk and a cell emulation tool, the rsx is just a crippled 7800 gt. Emulation would do the trick, after all we're talking about 220 gflops capable hardware.

The PS3 can run simulations, do decryption, mathematica (or matlab because it is even better) , it has some video/photo/3d editing stuff just with open source stuff. It cant do some of it as well as x86 pcs but it can do most of it.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#78 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I recently went back to pc gaming after a couple years of gaming mainly on consoles, and after going back, I have realized it is way better.

Here is why:

It is a well know fact that the vast majority of games look better on PC than on consoles; the best looking exclusives are on pc, the best looking multiplats are on pc. Many people say that it takes hundreds or thousands of dollars to get a pc that will have these graphics, but the truth is that a 60 dollar video card, maybe 30 dollars for 2gb of ram and a semi-modern desktop (any dual core basically), which you are most likely using right now or can be bought for 400 dollars, you can outperform any console. I have a desktop that I found in the garbage with a 3.0 GHz Pentium D, and 9600 gt that I found for 60 bucks on Newegg that can run Crysis on high at lower resolution. The laptop I bought for college will also run any game I throw at it without me paying anything extra to play games (it is high end because I run a lot of engineering/math/cad programs). Also, despite contrary belief it is just as easy to game on a big screen with a pc, I do it all of the time with my laptop, using a wireless mouse and keyboard.

2. More Games

PCs have many more games than consoles, not only because it is any easy platform to develop for so many armatures create their own games, but because the pc will always be backwards compatible. I can play almost any PC game ever made. PC's don't start a new cycle of games every 4-6 years like consoles do. (Consoles do have some backwards compatibility but it isn't perfect).

The PC can also play any game from almost any console, legally if you own the game for the console. It can play games from every console except the 360, PS3. And can play almost all games for every system except the xbox and ps2 (this should change very soon). It even upscale most games, including the Wii which actually looks better when the games are played on pc. This can all be done legally if you own the original game, and has been held up in many courts.

3. Better controls

The PC has way better controls than any single console. A keyboard and mouse, in my opinion are better for controlling almost all games. Even if you don't agree, you can hook up controllers from other consoles, or custom controllers such as wheels or joysticks. The 360 controller has support right out of the box, and hooking it to your pc is even promoted by Microsoft. You can hook up a dual shock 3 with usb or wirelessly with Bluetooth (a cheap adapter can be found for 10 dollars) and possibly . The wiimote also works with a pc via Bluetooth. You can buy or build an adapter for most older console controllers for less than 20 dollars.

4. Customizable/Upgradable

Pc games are way more customizable than any console games. First of all, you can modify the control scheme of games so they are how you want them to do, try that on most console games. Mods also allow you to change aspects of the game, make a game look different, work better or have more content for free. You can also customize the performance of the game so it looks and runs the best it can on your machine, unlike consoles where you are stuck with performance issues.

Upgrading pc's is also very easy. This means that instead of buying a new machine in order to have the latest and greatest, you can get the latest and greatest by getting a new part for a fraction of the cost. You can chose what you want, and how much you want to spend, unlike most consoles. Plus, it is fun building and upgrading your PC.

5. Cheaper Gaming

The majority of the time, games on PC are 10 dollars cheaper when they game is released. (There are quite a few exceptions) They remain cheaper through the games lifecycle, and are often available for download at cheaper prices than they would be in the store. The accessories for pc are also cheaper than for consoles, and online is almost always free, unlike some other gaming systems ***cough***xbox360***cough***

I know that there are some reasons not to game on pc's: often more expensive to start out with, harder to get games customized just right, and the "need" for upgrade very once in a while... but all of those reasons are outweighed by the superiority of the pc as a gaming machine.

Please Read this before you reply, thanks

Jacobistheman

1) While graphics certainly adds icing to the cake, graphics along does not make or break, or determine one systems superiority over the other. PS2 is easily the poster child a console, despite having the weakest amongst it's competition,alsohadthe highest, most diverse and critically games in comparison. That and graphics is ultimately a thing a taste.

2) While the PC easily has the largest number of games, it also, from what I have notice so far, has been a platform dominated mostly by Strategy Games, MMOS, and Shooters. All genres I have no particular interest in. While no one platform has the perfect variety, for all the large number of games, even PC gaming is dominated by particular genres.

3) Subjective really, even you admitted this in your first sentence.Call me strange, but I hate using the keyboard + mouse.

4) While not to the degree of PC games, being able to change the control schemes of some console games. Of course, admittedly this is some, not all, so I'll give you this point.

5) True enough, but then again, for someone like me, it's pointless since PC gaming actually lacks the types of games I'm interested in (Platformers, jRPGs, Fighters, Racing games)

Anyway I know hermits will get ticked for my #2, but whatever. I even said it's from what I've seen. :P

starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
Five reasons why PC gaming appeals to me more personally than console games ^fixed, neither is truly better. I didn't read your post but have fun without local multiplayer (LAN doesn't count)
Major_Reeves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Major_Reeves

[QUOTE="Major_Reeves"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] You must have misread my post. My point was that by paying for a digital download, you have essentially purchased something that is of no resale value.Johnny-n-Roger

And why re-sell it?

Because you don't play it much and/or you'd rather be playing something else. And I can't really speak for everyone else, but a game getting good reviews on this or that site is never a guarantee that I'll find it enjoyable or even worthwhile.

But you may want to play it again sometime in future.

The last time I played quake 3 + team arena was way back in 2003, now I'm playing it again and there are still a lot of ppl on line to play with (dedicated servers ftw).

If I had sold it, either I would have to buy it again or not play it.

So, if you don't want to keep your games, why not rent them?

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

imprezawrx500

i never said you couldn't get automatic updates, but they aren't universal, so they are entirely conditional, some people like having a boxed copy, but having to specificly buy from steam now sux, and i normally just get agrivated if the game doesn't support auto everything so i'll just go play on my 360 instead.

Panther023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#82 Panther023
Member since 2003 • 373 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"][QUOTE="Major_Reeves"]

And why re-sell it?

Major_Reeves

The last time I played quake 3 + team arena was way back in 2003, now I'm playing it again and there are still a lot of ppl on line to play with (dedicated servers ftw).

For me, I would spend a lot more money that way. I only have so much time to game. If I rented games to play through them, I would have bought the game several times over. Even with the subscriptions like gamefly, it's still cheaper for me to buy the game most of the time because of how long it takes to play through them.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

5 reasons? i only find one and that is "opinion"

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 savagetwinkie

And why re-sell it?

Major_Reeves

dedicated servers don't make a difference in whether or not people are still playing, in fact i'd rather have live and p2p, so the dedicated servers can't be pulled due to funding.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="Major_Reeves"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] Because you don't play it much and/or you'd rather be playing something else. And I can't really speak for everyone else, but a game getting good reviews on this or that site is never a guarantee that I'll find it enjoyable or even worthwhile.Panther023

For me, I would spend a lot more money that way. I only have so much time to game. If I rented games to play through them, I would have bought the game several times over. Even with the subscriptions like gamefly, it's still cheaper for me to buy the game most of the time because of how long it takes to play through them.

unless it has a short campaign, and not much else, in fact most of this gen i've managed to bang out most of the games i got in a week, MGS4 being my fastest since i didn't have to play really, just left it on and watched until i got to play, did homework in between cutscenes, but it took me 2 days, and then i just returned it.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts
[QUOTE="Major_Reeves"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] Because you don't play it much and/or you'd rather be playing something else. And I can't really speak for everyone else, but a game getting good reviews on this or that site is never a guarantee that I'll find it enjoyable or even worthwhile.savagetwinkie

dedicated servers don't make a difference in whether or not people are still playing, in fact i'd rather have live and p2p, so the dedicated servers can't be pulled due to funding.

0_0 Chances of having a P2P server pulled are a lot better than having all the dedicated servers pulled....Do you think games like counterstrike would still be around if it were hosted P2P? P2P networks actually make the game more likely to ended because it relies solely on the publisher to fund it.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="Major_Reeves"]

UnknownSniper65

0_0 Chances of having a P2P server pulled are a lot better than having all the dedicated servers pulled....Do you think games like counterstrike would still be around if it were hosted P2P? P2P networks actually make the game more likely to ended because it relies solely on the publisher to fund it.

no, live is paid service and even then, they only need a gateway server, not a play server so it would be infinitly cheaper then to keep up then dedicated servers, in fact it would be the same server they use to give you the host of all the dedicated servers, you know that list you see when you pick a server? that comes from the dev's gateway, but instead of dedicated server a p2p system has players, and just picks one automaticly

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Johnny-n-Roger

And why re-sell it?

Major_Reeves

I'm not sure how I gave you the impression that I buy a game with the intent of trading it in. I buy a game with the intent of completing and enjoying it. I'll often be playing 2 or more games at the same time, yet with my busy workschedule I hardly play on a daily basis. If I lose interest in orfinish Dragon Age I'll probably trade it in for Mass Effect 2. If not, I won't. Either way, it's not a big deal. I don't think I'll be too hard up for Dragon Age while I'm playing ME2.

In your situation above, would it have beenso difficult to......not play Quake III? Are you really that starved for a good multiplayer FPS?

As this relates to my original argument....... well, it doesn't. Digital Downloads cannot be rented, traded, or borrowed. Hard copy ftw.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Jacobistheman

5 reasons? i only find one and that is "opinion"

aroxx_ab
explain yourself.
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 UnknownSniper65

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] dedicated servers don't make a difference in whether or not people are still playing, in fact i'd rather have live and p2p, so the dedicated servers can't be pulled due to funding.savagetwinkie

no, live is paid service and even then, they only need a gateway server, not a play server so it would be infinitly cheaper then to keep up then dedicated servers, in fact it would be the same server they use to give you the host of all the dedicated servers, you know that list you see when you pick a server? that comes from the dev's gateway, but instead of dedicated server a p2p system has players, and just picks one automaticly

Game Service Providers host the vast majority dedicated servers

...Quite frankly I hate live and I hate matchmaking. It along with RROD played a huge role in my getting rid of my Xbox 360. Simply put,

-I enjoy playing on the maps I want to play on

-I enjoy playing with the rules I want to play with

-I enjoy playing on new player created maps

-I enjoy playing with the communities found on dedicated servers

--------------------------------------------

Everytime I entered an xbox live game I was pretty disappointed in the entire system

-Forces you to play on whatever map matchmaking chooses

-No way of booting out racists,homophobes,loud people,etc

-Small games ( Im looking at you COD4,COD2,GeoW)

- No player created content

- requires a monthly fee....for them use your residential connection to host a game.

- Shooters are full of griefers,noobtubers,bunny hoppers,etc

Honestly the entire system felt like a step back...the $50 dollar fee was just icing the crap flavored cake.

ThatGuyFromB4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ThatGuyFromB4
Member since 2009 • 697 Posts

I recently went back to pc gaming after a couple years of gaming mainly on consoles, and after going back, I have realized it is way better.

Here is why:

It is a well know fact that the vast majority of games look better on PC than on consoles; the best looking exclusives are on pc, the best looking multiplats are on pc. Many people say that it takes hundreds or thousands of dollars to get a pc that will have these graphics, but the truth is that a 60 dollar video card, maybe 30 dollars for 2gb of ram and a semi-modern desktop (any dual core basically), which you are most likely using right now or can be bought for 400 dollars, you can outperform any console. I have a desktop that I found in the garbage with a 3.0 GHz Pentium D, and 9600 gt that I found for 60 bucks on Newegg that can run Crysis on high at lower resolution. The laptop I bought for college will also run any game I throw at it without me paying anything extra to play games (it is high end because I run a lot of engineering/math/cad programs). Also, despite contrary belief it is just as easy to game on a big screen with a pc, I do it all of the time with my laptop, using a wireless mouse and keyboard.

2. More Games

PCs have many more games than consoles, not only because it is any easy platform to develop for so many armatures create their own games, but because the pc will always be backwards compatible. I can play almost any PC game ever made. PC's don't start a new cycle of games every 4-6 years like consoles do. (Consoles do have some backwards compatibility but it isn't perfect).

The PC can also play any game from almost any console, legally if you own the game for the console. It can play games from every console except the 360, PS3. And can play almost all games for every system except the xbox and ps2 (this should change very soon). It even upscale most games, including the Wii which actually looks better when the games are played on pc. This can all be done legally if you own the original game, and has been held up in many courts.

3. Better controls

The PC has way better controls than any single console. A keyboard and mouse, in my opinion are better for controlling almost all games. Even if you don't agree, you can hook up controllers from other consoles, or custom controllers such as wheels or joysticks. The 360 controller has support right out of the box, and hooking it to your pc is even promoted by Microsoft. You can hook up a dual shock 3 with usb or wirelessly with Bluetooth (a cheap adapter can be found for 10 dollars) and possibly . The wiimote also works with a pc via Bluetooth. You can buy or build an adapter for most older console controllers for less than 20 dollars.

4. Customizable/Upgradable

Pc games are way more customizable than any console games. First of all, you can modify the control scheme of games so they are how you want them to do, try that on most console games. Mods also allow you to change aspects of the game, make a game look different, work better or have more content for free. You can also customize the performance of the game so it looks and runs the best it can on your machine, unlike consoles where you are stuck with performance issues.

Upgrading pc's is also very easy. This means that instead of buying a new machine in order to have the latest and greatest, you can get the latest and greatest by getting a new part for a fraction of the cost. You can chose what you want, and how much you want to spend, unlike most consoles. Plus, it is fun building and upgrading your PC.

5. Cheaper Gaming

The majority of the time, games on PC are 10 dollars cheaper when they game is released. (There are quite a few exceptions) They remain cheaper through the games lifecycle, and are often available for download at cheaper prices than they would be in the store. The accessories for pc are also cheaper than for consoles, and online is almost always free, unlike some other gaming systems ***cough***xbox360***cough***

I know that there are some reasons not to game on pc's: often more expensive to start out with, harder to get games customized just right, and the "need" for upgrade very once in a while... but all of those reasons are outweighed by the superiority of the pc as a gaming machine.

Please Read this before you reply, thanks

Jacobistheman

1. Better multiplatform graphics, yeah, but only slightly. As for exclusives, Crysis is practically one of a kind, there's no other PC game out there that even comes close to Crysis's graphics. Uncharted 2 sure does though.

2. And yet PC gaming probably has the absolute worst genre diversity.

3. Opinion, a lot of people can't stand to game on a keyboard and mouse.

4. Mods are a plus, true. Don't assume console gamers are envious of them though, because not everyone cares about mods. And you think building/upgrading your PC is "fun", I think it's a giant nuisance.

5. A decent PC is minimum $500, $200 more than the most expensive console. PC gamers can't rent games and can't trade in used games for a profit.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Jacobistheman

1. Better multiplatform graphics, yeah, but only slightly. As for exclusives, Crysis is practically one of a kind, there's no other PC game out there that even comes close to Crysis's graphics. Uncharted 2 sure does though.

4. Mods are a plus, true. Don't assume console gamers are envious of them though, because not everyone cares about mods. And you think building/upgrading your PC is "fun", I think it's a giant nuisance.

5. A decent PC is minimum $500, $200 more than the most expensive console. PC gamers can't rent games and can't trade in used games for a profit.

ThatGuyFromB4

Did you even read what I wrote? It sure doesn't seem like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#93 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Those are certainly advantages.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

Consoles games might cost more . However consoles games have resale vaule. you can trade them in or sell them . while no one buys used pc games . you cant even rent most pc games . i don't know of any store that rents pc .

As for controls pc never movies on . It will always be tied down to k&m . Unles the game is dev for that controler it will always be held down by it . every gen console controls change and advance .

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 tagyhag

ThatGuyFromB4

1. In no way does Uncharted 2 come close, its extreme linearity is a big hindrance.Arma II andShattered Horizon come closer to Crysis.

2. Absolutely and completely false.

3. True

4. True, different strokes for different folks.

5. True, but we get our games cheaper.

ThatGuyFromB4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ThatGuyFromB4
Member since 2009 • 697 Posts

[QUOTE="ThatGuyFromB4"]

Jacobistheman

Did you even read what I wrote? It sure doesn't seem like it.

I skimmed. :)

UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 UnknownSniper65

Consoles games might cost more . However consoles games have resale vaule. you can trade them in or sell them . while no one buys used pc games . you cant even rent most pc games . i don't know of any store that rents pc .

As for controls pc never movies on . It will always be tied down to k&m . Unles the game is dev for that controler it will always be held down by it . every gen console controls change and advance .

dontshackzmii

yet they are still behind the mouse and keyboard in terms accuracy and ease of movement.

I only use my keyboard some of the time...I usually use this when I can.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 tagyhag

dontshackzmii

In case you didn't know, you can use console controllers on the pc. ;)

And besides, you sound like being tied down to k/m is a bad thing! :P

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#100 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]I recently went back to pc gaming after a couple years of gaming mainly on consoles, and after going back, I have realized it is way better. Here is why: 1. Better graphics/Performance It is a well know fact that the vast majority of games look better on PC than on consoles; [color=#FF0000]>Better >Fact You need to look up the definitions of these words before using them any more. Not a fact, and not true.[/color] the best looking exclusives are on pc,[color=#0000FF][citation needed][/color] the best looking multiplats are on pc.[color=#0000FF][citation needed][/color] Many people say that it takes hundreds or thousands of dollars to get a pc that will have these graphics, but the truth is that a 60 dollar video card, maybe 30 dollars for 2gb of ram and a semi-modern desktop (any dual core basically), which you are most likely using right now or can be bought for 400 dollars, you can outperform any console. [color=#FF0000]You can outperform consoles that cost downwards of $400 retail using $490 PC components. Is this supposed to be surprising?[/color] I have a desktop that I found in the garbage with a 3.0 GHz Pentium D, and 9600 gt that I found for 60 bucks on Newegg that can run Crysis on high at lower resolution. The laptop I bought for college will also run any game I throw at it without me paying anything extra to play games (it is high end because I run a lot of engineering/math/cad programs). Also, despite contrary belief it is just as easy to game on a big screen with a pc, I do it all of the time with my laptop, using a wireless mouse and keyboard. 2. More Games PCs have many more games than consoles, not only because it is any easy platform to develop for so many armatures create their own games, but because the pc will always be backwards compatible. I can play almost any PC game ever made. PC's don't start a new cycle of games every 4-6 years like consoles do. (Consoles do have some backwards compatibility but it isn't perfect). [color=#FF0000]Where PC backwards compatibility works perfectly. That's why you can play any DOS game without hassle on Windows 7.[/color] The PC can also play any game from almost any console, legally if you own the game for the console. [color=#FF0000]If you legally own a game for a console, why would you want to play it on an emulator with inferior performance?[/color] It can play games from every console except the 360, PS3. And can play almost all games for every system except the xbox and ps2 (this should change very soon). [color=#FF0000]So are '360/PS3 the exceptions to what you can play or Xbox/PS2?[/color] It even upscale most games, including the Wii which actually looks better when the games are played on pc. This can all be done legally if you own the original game, and has been held up in many courts. 3. Better controls The PC has way better controls than any single console. A keyboard and mouse, in my opinion are better for controlling almost all games [color=#FF0000]except fighters, racers, and anything 3D[/color]. Even if you don't agree, you can hook up controllers from other consoles, or custom controllers such as wheels or joysticks. The 360 controller has support right out of the box, and hooking it to your pc is even promoted by Microsoft. You can hook up a dual shock 3 with usb or wirelessly with Bluetooth (a cheap adapter can be found for 10 dollars) and possibly . The wiimote also works with a pc via Bluetooth. You can buy or build an adapter for most older console controllers for less than 20 dollars. 4. Customizable/Upgradable Pc games are way more customizable than any console games. First of all, you can modify the control scheme of games so they are how you want them to do, try that on most console games. [color=#FF0000]Controls modification is game-specific, not a system setting. I suppose you could reconfigure the keyboard universally, but at that point it would probably be more convenient to just use the game default.[/color] Mods also allow you to change aspects of the game, make a game look different, work better or have more content for free. [color=#FF0000]Console games can and do have mods too.[/color] You can also customize the performance of the game so it looks and runs the best it can on your machine, unlike consoles where you are stuck with performance issues. [color=#FF0000]Game-specific.[/color] Upgrading pc's is also very [color=#FF0000]possible[/color]. This means that instead of buying a new machine in order to have the latest and greatest, you can get the latest and greatest by getting a new part for a fraction of the cost. You can chose what you want, and how much you want to spend, unlike most consoles. Plus, it is fun building and upgrading your PC. [color=#FF0000]If jamming pieces of metal and plastic together is your idea of fun, I think you need to find some better games.[/color] 5. Cheaper Gaming The majority of the time, games on PC are 10 dollars cheaper when they game is released. (There are quite a few exceptions) They remain cheaper through the games lifecycle, and are often available for download at cheaper prices than they would be in the store. The accessories for pc are also cheaper than for consoles, and online is almost always free, unlike some other gaming systems ***cough***xbox360***cough*** I know that there are some reasons not to game on pc's: often more expensive to start out with, harder to get games customized just right, and the "need" for upgrade very once in a while... but all of those reasons are outweighed by the superiority of the pc as a gaming machine. Please Read this before you reply, thanks

You make some good points, but I think that's a result of luck.