Five reasons why PC gaming is better than console gaming

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

I recently went back to pc gaming after a couple years of gaming mainly on consoles, and after going back, I have realized it is way better.

Here is why:

1. Better graphics/Performance

It is a well know fact that the vast majority of games look better on PC than on consoles; the best looking exclusives are on pc, the best looking multiplats are on pc. Many people say that it takes hundreds or thousands of dollars to get a pc that will have these graphics, but the truth is that a 60 dollar video card, maybe 30 dollars for 2gb of ram and a semi-modern desktop (any dual core basically), which you are most likely using right now or can be bought for 400 dollars, you can outperform any console. I have a desktop that I found in the garbage with a 3.0 GHz Pentium D, and 9600 gt that I found for 60 bucks on Newegg that can run Crysis on high at lower resolution. The laptop I bought for college will also run any game I throw at it without me paying anything extra to play games (it is high end because I run a lot of engineering/math/cad programs). Also, despite contrary belief it is just as easy to game on a big screen with a pc, I do it all of the time with my laptop, using a wireless mouse and keyboard.

2. More Games

PCs have many more games than consoles, not only because it is any easy platform to develop for so many armatures create their own games, but because the pc will always be backwards compatible. I can play almost any PC game ever made. PC's don't start a new cycle of games every 4-6 years like consoles do. (Consoles do have some backwards compatibility but it isn't perfect).

The PC can also play any game from almost any console, legally if you own the game for the console. It can play games from every console except the 360, PS3. And can play almost all games for every system except the xbox and ps2 (this should change very soon). It even upscale most games, including the Wii which actually looks better when the games are played on pc. This can all be done legally if you own the original game, and has been held up in many courts.

3. Better controls

The PC has way better controls than any single console. A keyboard and mouse, in my opinion are better for controlling almost all games. Even if you don't agree, you can hook up controllers from other consoles, or custom controllers such as wheels or joysticks. The 360 controller has support right out of the box, and hooking it to your pc is even promoted by Microsoft. You can hook up a dual shock 3 with usb or wirelessly with Bluetooth (a cheap adapter can be found for 10 dollars) and possibly . The wiimote also works with a pc via Bluetooth. You can buy or build an adapter for most older console controllers for less than 20 dollars.

4. Customizable/Upgradable

Pc games are way more customizable than any console games. First of all, you can modify the control scheme of games so they are how you want them to do, try that on most console games. Mods also allow you to change aspects of the game, make a game look different, work better or have more content for free. You can also customize the performance of the game so it looks and runs the best it can on your machine, unlike consoles where you are stuck with performance issues.

Upgrading pc's is also very easy. This means that instead of buying a new machine in order to have the latest and greatest, you can get the latest and greatest by getting a new part for a fraction of the cost. You can chose what you want, and how much you want to spend, unlike most consoles. Plus, it is fun building and upgrading your PC.

5. Cheaper Gaming

The majority of the time, games on PC are 10 dollars cheaper when they game is released. (There are quite a few exceptions) They remain cheaper through the games lifecycle, and are often available for download at cheaper prices than they would be in the store. The accessories for pc are also cheaper than for consoles, and online is almost always free, unlike some other gaming systems ***cough***xbox360***cough***

I know that there are some reasons not to game on pc's: often more expensive to start out with, harder to get games customized just right, and the "need" for upgrade very once in a while... but all of those reasons are outweighed by the superiority of the pc as a gaming machine.

Please Read this before you reply, thanks

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
What's with this sudden influx of Pro-PC threads today? Us PC gamers aren't supposed to strike back at scrawny insults towards the PC, we just sit back and laugh at the attempts. :P
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Long-winded pro-PC posts are a fad topic now....
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

all those points are pretty common knowledge, and you forgot mods...which is one of the better reasons.

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

Cool, hope you enjoy playing on your PC than.

I'm happy with my 360 though, thanks anyways.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jacobistheman

all those points are pretty common knowledge, and you forgot mods...which is one of the better reasons.

lazzordude
Mods are under customizable, and I didn't include everything, just the some of the main reasons I like pc gaming.
Panther023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Panther023
Member since 2003 • 373 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]What's with this sudden influx of Pro-PC threads today? Us PC gamers aren't supposed to strike back at scrawny insults towards the PC, we just sit back and laugh at the attempts. :P

Haha...well said. Me, I mainly game on consoles, but part of that is so my wife can watch and partially join in. Having said that, I'm really enjoying MMORPG's right now on PC.
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts
[QUOTE="lazzordude"]

Jacobistheman
Mods are under customizable, and I didn't include everything, just the some of the main reasons I like pc gaming.

lol nice edit :wink:
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

What's with this sudden influx of Pro-PC threads today?tagyhag

I blame the sudden influx of anti PC threads the last few days like this one. Of course even if this was a reaction to consolite activity, that wouldn't stop them placing the full blame on PC gamers and accusing them of being elitists.

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

PC gaming is great and all but it's still not better than console gaming. Mainly because you gotta go search around for patches and crap to get games to work and split screen/same screen multiplayer is pretty much non existent.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

PC gaming is great and all but it's still not better than console gaming. Mainly because you gotta go search around for patches and crap to get games to work and split screen/same screen multiplayer is pretty much non existent.

-supercharged-
steam automatically patches games.
Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

Please just stop it with these threads. PC gamers are already getting flamed when NOT making topics. Now imagine what would happen if they started talking... For Christ's sake, why would you even care that a few console fanboys here and there bash the PC?

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

great but there are more pro's to PC gaming, but there are also more cons

1) not as good price/performance as consoles

2)More games but not all are still compatabile with newer os's, compatibility issues, performance issues,

3)This is subjective unless your playing strategy games, else i'd prefer a controller for everything else, which consoles conveniently have right from the start.

4)This goes back to compatibility, more $$ for hardware ontop of initial purchases, I"ve spent far more on hardware for my pc then i ever will with $10 more for each game. And mods tend to be really unstable alot of times, theres a few good ones but they don't get the full support as real games, very few are really fun to play actually.

5)Again you will end up spending far more on hardware then you ever will for consoles, once you buy a console its good for every game made for it. then you can funnel all that money into more games, $10 more isn't so bad since you won't ever have to look into new vid cards more ram or anything.

I used to be a HUGE pc gamer, in fact i didn't really play consoles till i got a 360, I've had consoles since n64 but they were always for an occasional gem i couldn't get on PC, but i havn't played MOST of the games that came out for most of the systems. And i have to say consoles give a much better GAMING experience, where PC's give a much better TINKERING experience. But i've come to love the convenience of my 360, get a game, put it in the disc drive, all the updates are gotten automaticly i can get online easily without pissing off punkbuster or some other stupid anti cheat because vista/7 doesn't allow it to update. But with that said i still play some games on PC, but i play them exclusively on steam now or not at all since that does a bit of what consoles can do, now i wish i didn't have to install anything that would make me happy =D

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacobistheman

-supercharged-
Most games find the latest updates by themselves, but you are right about split screen, that is the thing I like most about consoles.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

Jacobistheman
Most games find the latest updates by themselves, but you are right about split screen, that is the thing I like most about consoles.

no no they don't, the last time i played cod was because while downloading the patches for waw i went and started playing wiht my 360, then forgot about waw and deleted the patches, unless your using steam/mmo/live most of them point you in the right direction but you still sometimes need an account, and wait in line, pc gaming is filled with bs,
-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

UnknownSniper65

Oh.. well that wasnt around when I was PC gaming. But I do know it was a major pain in the ass. Glad to see at least that's been taken care. But you can't argue about the offline multiplayer part ;).

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. Good to hear your opinion though it's all been heard before.

Consoles have always been more mainstream in terms of gaming. PC's aren't "niche" but they definitely are not on the same level as Consoles have ever been...nor ever will most likely.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"][QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

-supercharged-

Oh.. well that wasnt around when I was PC gaming. But I do know it was a major pain in the ass. Glad to see at least that's been taken care. But you can't argue about the offline multiplayer part ;).

unfortunately steam isn't universal or the standard, and it forces you to buy from steam if you want automatic updates, so no hard copy in most cases
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UnknownSniper65
[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"] steam automatically patches games.savagetwinkie

unfortunately steam isn't universal or the standard, and it forces you to buy from steam if you want automatic updates, so no hard copy in most cases

Regardless its a step in the right direction and steam is only becoming more common. I've never personally had problems getting patches to work ( I disabled auto update on my steam account) so it was never a big deal to me. Websites all over the place (including the official) website usually provide a way to download them.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

2)More games but not all are still compatabile with newer os's, compatibility issues, performance issues,

3)This is subjective unless your playing strategy games, else i'd prefer a controller for everything else, which consoles conveniently have right from the start.

4)This goes back to compatibility, more $$ for hardware ontop of initial purchases, I"ve spent far more on hardware for my pc then i ever will with $10 more for each game. And mods tend to be really unstable alot of times, theres a few good ones but they don't get the full support as real games, very few are really fun to play actually.

5)Again you will end up spending far more on hardware then you ever will for consoles, once you buy a console its good for every game made for it. then you can funnel all that money into more games, $10 more isn't so bad since you won't ever have to look into new vid cards more ram or anything.

I used to be a HUGE pc gamer, in fact i didn't really play consoles till i got a 360, I've had consoles since n64 but they were always for an occasional gem i couldn't get on PC, but i havn't played MOST of the games that came out for most of the systems. And i have to say consoles give a much better GAMING experience, where PC's give a much better TINKERING experience. But i've come to love the convenience of my 360, get a game, put it in the disc drive, all the updates are gotten automaticly i can get online easily without pissing off punkbuster or some other stupid anti cheat because vista/7 doesn't allow it to update. But with that said i still play some games on PC, but i play them exclusively on steam now or not at all since that does a bit of what consoles can do, now i wish i didn't have to install anything that would make me happy =D

savagetwinkie

The only issue I'd have to make here is with number 3. No matter how used to a gamepad I get for FPS's, there's simply nothing that gives me the same comfortableness as the mouse and keyboard for FPS's. In fact, everyone I know who grew up on Mouse and Keyboard that plays FPS's on console still miss the Mouse, no matter how good at the controller they get. For me, it really comes down to precision aiming and the ease of headlook with a mouse. Back in College there were two camps, the Goldeneye console crowd and the Quake Team Fortress PC crowd. Although I played a bit of Goldeneye, Quake was a daily thing for me after class :)

I'd also add MMO's and RPG's to that list, just better having the versatility of a keyboard at hand for quickbars. Dragon Age is a good example of this.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

UnknownSniper65

Regardless its a step in the right direction and steam is only becoming more common. I've never personally had problems getting patches to work ( I disabled auto update on my steam account) so it was never a big deal to me. Websites all over the place (including the official) website usually provide a way to download them.

Most of the time dev's website just sends you to stupid mirrows you have to have an account for, but steam is in teh right direction but the physical media loosing it isn't good, but i'd prefer if games for windows live service was more integrated, which would be the best, so you get all the live updates easily and still have ALL the physical media. Consoles do pretty much everything better except i can't tinker with things, which i'm ok with. Except for graphics but i have yet to find a rig that can beat the price/performance of a console, 360 or ps3.

UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UnknownSniper65
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

mismajor99
The only issue I'd have to make here is with number 3. No matter how used to a gamepad I get for FPS's, there's simply nothing that gives me the same comfortableness as the mouse and keyboard for FPS's. In fact, everyone I know who grew up on Mouse and Keyboard that plays FPS's on console still miss the Mouse, no matter how good at the controller they get. For me, it really comes down to precision aiming and the ease of headlook with a mouse. Back in College there were two camps, the Goldeneye console crowd and the Quake Team Fortress PC crowd. Although I played a bit of Goldeneye, Quake was a daily thing for me after class :) I'd also add MMO's to that list, just better having the versatility with a keyboard is nice.

Most of the console gamers I know never played games on the PC so they assume that the controller is better. I could never get my console controllers to move as quickly or be as accurate as a mouse.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacobistheman

Well that depends on if you are upgrading your current pc or buying a new one, most people can upgrade thier current setup on the cheap, like I said

There are some compatablity issues but you can almost always find a workaround, it might be a lot of work, but you can do it.

Still, you can use any controller with a pc, and just because they aren't included (mice and keyboards aren't always incuded with pc's) doesn't make the controls worse

4)This goes back to compatibility, more $$ for hardware ontop of initial purchases, I"ve spent far more on hardware for my pc then i ever will with $10 more for each game. And mods tend to be really unstable alot of times, theres a few good ones but they don't get the full support as real games, very few are really fun to play actually. 5)Again you will end up spending far more on hardware then you ever will for consoles, once you buy a console its good for every game made for it. then you can funnel all that money into more games, $10 more isn't so bad since you won't ever have to look into new vid cards more ram or anything.

Like I said, you don't have to spend more if you don't want to. You can chose to have the best experience and spend a lot or have a good experience for cheap.

savagetwinkie

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

MMOs best on PC.

Going to have to disagree with the more games part.

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

The only thing I like about PC more than console is Keyboard and Mouse. That and mods and stuff, those are always fun :)

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Sadly pound for pound, and dollar for dollar consoles outperform pcs. If you need high end graphics pc does have the edge, but for $300 out of the box a console is going to win. Hell some people spend 1/2 that on their OS alone.

2. More Games

Not all classic PC games work w/ a new OS hence BC isn't perfect on the pc either.

Legally roms cannot be distributed so for the sake of SW arguements they don't exist. W/out roms legal emulators are useless.

3. Better controls

While k/m controls are better for point click style gaming (RTS, FPS) they tend to not work as well w/ moving through 3D space hence why you see console games w/ a higher rate of melee combat design. Also though the 360 controller works great w/ windows 7 that doesn't mean the designers incorporated it into the game very well. I've found that several windows games either don't support the controller or support is so half hazardly that it's not even worth bothering w/.

Customization is a double edged sword of pc gaming. On the one hand I enjoy tweaking my graphics to the aspects I prefer, but it also means I'm constantly changing these aspects instead of gaming. When I get the game I customize the graphics, after the first level I customize the graphics, and again 1/2 way through I customize them again.

Though the act of upgrading is fairly simple it's still challenging to know what to buy, when to buy it, and at what price. Even veteran PC gamers are unsure of themselves when it comes to upgrading. Most of the time it's a crapshoot, and I'm sure several long term pc gamers can tell you war stories about times the crapped out.

It is fun building and upgrading your PC which is why I only recommend pc gaming to people interested in tech instead of every tom, dick, and harry.

5. Cheaper Gaming

While pc gaming may have an initial lower cost per unit you also have to relealize that there's no used pc game market so you are unable to sell games you don't like/play (unable per TOS). Hence you always have to buy pc games pretty close to the retail price, while older console games tend to cost fairly little.

Also more and more pc games are leaning towards monthly costs (MMOs), and don't forget that somebody out there is paying for your dedicated servers which won't be around forever while only a few XBL games are now unavailable (due to a contract w/ EA).

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

Well that depends on if you are upgrading your current pc or buying a new one, most people can upgrade thier current setup on the cheap, like I said

There are some compatablity issues but you can almost always find a workaround, it might be a lot of work, but you can do it.

Still, you can use any controller with a pc, and just because they aren't included (mice and keyboards aren't always incuded with pc's) doesn't make the controls worse

4)This goes back to compatibility, more $$ for hardware ontop of initial purchases, I"ve spent far more on hardware for my pc then i ever will with $10 more for each game. And mods tend to be really unstable alot of times, theres a few good ones but they don't get the full support as real games, very few are really fun to play actually. 5)Again you will end up spending far more on hardware then you ever will for consoles, once you buy a console its good for every game made for it. then you can funnel all that money into more games, $10 more isn't so bad since you won't ever have to look into new vid cards more ram or anything.

Like I said, you don't have to spend more if you don't want to. You can chose to have the best experience and spend a lot or have a good experience for cheap.

Jacobistheman

upgrading a pc has an initial cost, you can't just ignore that cost and all other upgrades, i don't want to work to play video games, i want them to work so i can play. you can use a controller but they aren't always as good or have a good way of setting up the buttons, and then if it has those stupid press this sequence of buttons, then it just gives you 4 8 9, and i'm like wtf what are those? Though games like bioshock do integrate the 360 controller into it which i like, but why not just play a 360 then? and back to the first one, consoles are more cost effective with performance, if its cheap i'm looking for, PC's aren't really an option, unless i already have a pc that i can upgrade at little cost. But htink about it, its a big if, your saying IF you've already paid for something, then its only this amount of money to upgrade, but thats like saying since i already bought an arcade, its only $100 to be able to get arcade games and dlc!
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. Good to hear your opinion though it's all been heard before.

Consoles have always been more mainstream in terms of gaming. PC's aren't "niche" but they definitely are not on the same level as Consoles have ever been...nor ever will most likely.

Puckhog04
PC aren't niche? They have the most niche games. :P We got our Roguelikes/Simulators/Artillery/MUD games, you would almost never find these types of games on consoles.
Panther023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Panther023

5. Cheaper Gaming

While pc gaming may have an initial lower cost per unit you also have to relealize that there's no used pc game market so you are unable to sell games you don't like/play (unable per TOS). Hence you always have to buy pc games pretty close to the retail price, while older console games tend to cost fairly little.

Also more and more pc games are leaning towards monthly costs (MMOs), and don't forget that somebody out there is paying for your dedicated servers which won't be around forever while only a few XBL games are now unavailable (due to a contract w/ EA).

jrhawk42
I don't know about this point. You can still buy a decent amount of used games on ebay and such. Granted, many games are available for download, but generally you can still find hard copies.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="mismajor99"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

UnknownSniper65
The only issue I'd have to make here is with number 3. No matter how used to a gamepad I get for FPS's, there's simply nothing that gives me the same comfortableness as the mouse and keyboard for FPS's. In fact, everyone I know who grew up on Mouse and Keyboard that plays FPS's on console still miss the Mouse, no matter how good at the controller they get. For me, it really comes down to precision aiming and the ease of headlook with a mouse. Back in College there were two camps, the Goldeneye console crowd and the Quake Team Fortress PC crowd. Although I played a bit of Goldeneye, Quake was a daily thing for me after class :) I'd also add MMO's to that list, just better having the versatility with a keyboard is nice.

Most of the console gamers I know never played games on the PC so they assume that the controller is better. I could never get my console controllers to move as quickly or be as accurate as a mouse.

its too good sometime, like sniping people with EVERY gun on cod4/waw, its ridiculous i've kinda found a bit more of enjoyment out of mw2 now that i actually have to try and aim, feels a bit more real since sinc'e i'm finding myself not just spraying bullets with a p90 across an entire map hitting most of the people in the face. MMO's are pretty much all i play now, actually wow on my pc so you have that one there, but i kinda wish mmo's didn't have so many buttons to press, just a kill button i could run through 100's of people pressing, if there was a mmo on consoles i think it wouldn't work the way they are made now anyways. A good pvp game would be godly, and healers could just lob healing fireballs at friends and i think it would work.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

5. Cheaper Gaming

Panther023
I don't know about this point. You can still buy a decent amount of used games on ebay and such. Granted, many games are available for download, but generally you can still find hard copies.

I'd say with DD its getting less and less likely to find good copies, and you run the risk of getting a bad cdkey with used PC games.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

5. Cheaper Gaming

Panther023

Ebay order, ship, and deliver is hardly comparable in terms of convenience to walking into Gamespot and leaving with a used copy of a console game.

Digital downloads aren't worth anything to anyone else once they've been purchased. The concept is asinine IMO.

Panther023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Panther023
[QUOTE="Panther023"][QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

5. Cheaper Gaming

savagetwinkie

I'd say with DD its getting less and less likely to find good copies, and you run the risk of getting a bad cdkey with used PC games.

Hmmm...that's a good point. At least with a used console game you can assume with a good amount of certainty that the game will work fine. No issue with a CD key.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

3rd person action is unplayable on PC

for me that is fail enough

Panther023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Panther023

[QUOTE="Panther023"][QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

5. Cheaper Gaming

Johnny-n-Roger

Ebay order, ship, and deliver is hardly comparable in terms of convenience to walking into Gamespot and leaving with a used copy of a console game.

Digital downloads aren't worth anything to anyone else once they've been purchased. The concept is asinine IMO.

True, but cheap is the way to go for me right now. :)
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

5. Cheaper Gaming

Panther023

I never buy used pc games from strangers... basically there's nothing stopping them from using your serial number a few months down the road, and if you try to complain to tech support will just say sorry we don't support license transfers, and probably blacklist the serial number.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
The only thing PC has going for me is WoW(MMORPGs,RTS), and ventrillo,TS, after that id rather have controller for all games except fps,rts
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Johnny-n-Roger

[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]

I recently went back to pc gaming after a couple years of gaming mainly on consoles, and after going back, I have realized it is way better.

Here is why:

It is a well know fact that the vast majority of games look better on PC than on consoles; the best looking exclusives are on pc, the best looking multiplats are on pc. Many people say that it takes hundreds or thousands of dollars to get a pc that will have these graphics, but the truth is that a 60 dollar video card, maybe 30 dollars for 2gb of ram and a semi-modern desktop (any dual core basically), which you are most likely using right now or can be bought for 400 dollars, you can outperform any console. I have a desktop that I found in the garbage with a 3.0 GHz Pentium D, and 9600 gt that I found for 60 bucks on Newegg that can run Crysis on high at lower resolution. The laptop I bought for college will also run any game I throw at it without me paying anything extra to play games (it is high end because I run a lot of engineering/math/cad programs). Also, despite contrary belief it is just as easy to game on a big screen with a pc, I do it all of the time with my laptop, using a wireless mouse and keyboard.

2. More Games

PCs have many more games than consoles, not only because it is any easy platform to develop for so many armatures create their own games, but because the pc will always be backwards compatible. I can play almost any PC game ever made. PC's don't start a new cycle of games every 4-6 years like consoles do. (Consoles do have some backwards compatibility but it isn't perfect).

The PC can also play any game from almost any console, legally if you own the game for the console. It can play games from every console except the 360, PS3. And can play almost all games for every system except the xbox and ps2 (this should change very soon). It even upscale most games, including the Wii which actually looks better when the games are played on pc. This can all be done legally if you own the original game, and has been held up in many courts.

3. Better controls

The PC has way better controls than any single console. A keyboard and mouse, in my opinion are better for controlling almost all games. Even if you don't agree, you can hook up controllers from other consoles, or custom controllers such as wheels or joysticks. The 360 controller has support right out of the box, and hooking it to your pc is even promoted by Microsoft. You can hook up a dual shock 3 with usb or wirelessly with Bluetooth (a cheap adapter can be found for 10 dollars) and possibly . The wiimote also works with a pc via Bluetooth. You can buy or build an adapter for most older console controllers for less than 20 dollars.

Pc games are way more customizable than any console games. First of all, you can modify the control scheme of games so they are how you want them to do, try that on most console games. Mods also allow you to change aspects of the game, make a game look different, work better or have more content for free. You can also customize the performance of the game so it looks and runs the best it can on your machine, unlike consoles where you are stuck with performance issues.

Upgrading pc's is also very easy. This means that instead of buying a new machine in order to have the latest and greatest, you can get the latest and greatest by getting a new part for a fraction of the cost. You can chose what you want, and how much you want to spend, unlike most consoles. Plus, it is fun building and upgrading your PC.

5. Cheaper Gaming

The majority of the time, games on PC are 10 dollars cheaper when they game is released. (There are quite a few exceptions) They remain cheaper through the games lifecycle, and are often available for download at cheaper prices than they would be in the store. The accessories for pc are also cheaper than for consoles, and online is almost always free, unlike some other gaming systems ***cough***xbox360***cough***

I know that there are some reasons not to game on pc's: often more expensive to start out with, harder to get games customized just right, and the "need" for upgrade very once in a while... but all of those reasons are outweighed by the superiority of the pc as a gaming machine.

Please Read this before you reply, thanks

AdjacentLives

Since I've joined Gamespot and started using the forums, all I continue to see are people posting "X is better then Y". Everyone with even half a brain already knows and understands the PC offers more. It's System Wars, I understand this, but that doesn't excuse you from making a post with absolutely no point to it besides informing us on something we already know. Most the world already either owns a PC or has used one, so you can bet we understand the PC's capabilities.

"4." Is a matter of whether or not people are actually willing to keep upgrading their PC. Most people who buy a console, buy it with the idea in mind they won't have to worry about upgrading it.

"3." PC gaming offers more controls, stating they are in anyway better is a matter of opinion.

"2." Sure their are more games, but not everyone likes the games you like or the way the PC offers them.

This information in this post is known to everyone who is even somewhat intelligent. If what your doing is trying to convince people on this forum who disagree, then what your doing is a waste of time. No one is the same, and opinions vary from person to person. And just because you even took the time to post all this, I've been given a glance at your personality and you've shown me how sad and pathetic you are.

Welcome to SW :P

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacobistheman

Sadly pound for pound, and dollar for dollar consoles outperform pcs. If you need high end graphics pc does have the edge, but for $300 out of the box a console is going to win. Hell some people spend 1/2 that on their OS alone.

Just to the OS point, you can play games on free OSes. It might be more work to get them working, but it can be done.

2. More Games

Not all ****c PC games work w/ a new OS hence BC isn't perfect on the pc either.

Legally roms cannot be distributed so for the sake of SW arguements they don't exist. W/out roms legal emulators are useless.

You can legally create your own roms, many dvd drives can create roms from wii, gamecube, ps2, ps1. You can buy adapters for other types of media, or hook your old console directly to your pc sometime. Also, it is legal to get roms, it is just illegal to give them.

jrhawk42

You made some good points, and I could argue some more of them, but I wanted to adress these two specifically.

Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
PC doesn't get any decent exclusive games anymore. It has lots of good games before 2005 to play on it, but any PC can run them. There's not much reason to upgrade your PC.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

Just to the OS point, you can play games on free OSes. It might be more work to get them working, but it can be done.

2. More Games

Not all ****c PC games work w/ a new OS hence BC isn't perfect on the pc either.

You can legally create your own roms, many dvd drives can create roms from wii, gamecube, ps2, ps1. You can buy adapters for other types of media, or hook your old console directly to your pc sometime. Also, it is legal to get roms, it is just illegal to give them.

Jacobistheman

You made some good points, and I could argue some more of them, but I wanted to adress these two specifically.

1) free os's? they barely work and its more trouble then its worth 2) legally is specific, in the US you can't create roms, you pay for 1 copy of the game and are licensed to have 1 copy of the game, so with licenses you can't create a copy of anything especially console games. And and order to get roms, someone has to give them, so its illegal for someoen to give them to you, but you can legally take them? you don't know much of anything about copyright laws do you.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Johnny-n-Roger

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

2. More Games

Jacobistheman

1. I mean honestly, who needs a Windows PC when they have a PS3? What you can do and what is practical are two different things.

2. Same as above regarding "legal" roms. Where as this is possible, it is not at all practical. Good luck configuring a rig to run a commercial PS2, XBOX, or Gamecube game at a playable speed.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jacobistheman

[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

2. More Games

savagetwinkie

1) free os's? they barely work and its more trouble then its worth 2) legally is specific, in the US you can't create roms, you pay for 1 copy of the game and are licensed to have 1 copy of the game, so with licenses you can't create a copy of anything especially console games. And and order to get roms, someone has to give them, so its illegal for someoen to give them to you, but you can legally take them? you don't know much of anything about copyright laws do you.

1. What? Linux barely works? That is news to me, I always thought that it worked just as well if not better than windows and mac every time I have used it, I must have been confused.

2. It is completely legal to create backups of your games in the US, and it has been held up in court that you can play them on your computer. It is just like ripping a CD or DVD.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts

[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

2. More Games

Johnny-n-Roger

1. I mean honestly, who needs a Windows PC when they have a PS3? What you can do and what is practical are two different things.

2. Same as above regarding "legal" roms. Where as this is possible, it is not at all practical. Good luck configuring a rig to run a commercial PS2, XBOX, or Gamecube game at a playable speed.

I play my version of FF X on my PC just fine, it actually looks better than on the PS2, due to certain plugins and runs at a good 60 FPS, and for your first point, are you making this post from your PS3? Could you write up an essay on a PS3? Regardless, most people have a PC, just some prefer to play games on it.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]

Jacobistheman

1. What? Linux barely works? That is news to me, I always thought that it worked just as well if not better than windows and mac every time I have used it, I must have been confused. 2. It is completely legal to create backups of your games in the US, and it has been held up in court that you can play them on your computer. It is just like ripping a CD or DVD.

your talking about gaming on linux, that doesn't work to well, which is what i thought we were talking about and from what i've read, it depends on if you own it, or license it, definitly console games you can't since you are licensed to own one game, but with a PC you have a license or cd key the media it came on doesn't matter as much.

Giant_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Giant_Panda
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts

For the most part those are fairly good reasons to own a gaming PC TC, but IMO it still doesn't come close to matching the consoles' single main advantage: When you want to pick up a game and play, it just works. No need for finding any patches, no need to check hardware compatibility issues, andno need to check software compatibility issues. If the Wii is any indication, there are a lot of people that don't want or need the headache of getting their PC to play games properly. They just want to stick the game in and have it work.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacobistheman

[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]

[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

2. More Games

Johnny-n-Roger

Look up dolphin, and you will see how practical it really is, for the wii and gamecube at least. Just watch a few of the HD youtube videos.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jacobistheman

[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] 1) free os's? they barely work and its more trouble then its worth 2) legally is specific, in the US you can't create roms, you pay for 1 copy of the game and are licensed to have 1 copy of the game, so with licenses you can't create a copy of anything especially console games. And and order to get roms, someone has to give them, so its illegal for someoen to give them to you, but you can legally take them? you don't know much of anything about copyright laws do you.savagetwinkie

1. What? Linux barely works? That is news to me, I always thought that it worked just as well if not better than windows and mac every time I have used it, I must have been confused. 2. It is completely legal to create backups of your games in the US, and it has been held up in court that you can play them on your computer. It is just like ripping a CD or DVD.

your talking about gaming on linux, that doesn't work to well, which is what i thought we were talking about and from what i've read, it depends on if you own it, or license it, definitly console games you can't since you are licensed to own one game, but with a PC you have a license or cd key the media it came on doesn't matter as much.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act says it is legal to create your own backup of any non-volatile memory, but just not copy it. Roms of video games fall into this category. It is just as legal to rip a cd and play it on an ipod as it is to to rip a video game an play it on your pc.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Johnny-n-Roger

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]

Deadly_Fatalis

Could you write up an essay on a PS3? .

Yes.