Five reasons why PC gaming is better than console gaming

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Consoles games might cost more . However consoles games have resale vaule. you can trade them in or sell them . while no one buys used pc games . you cant even rent most pc games . i don't know of any store that rents pc .

As for controls pc never movies on . It will always be tied down to k&m . Unles the game is dev for that controler it will always be held down by it . every gen console controls change and advance .

Johnny-n-Roger

yet they are still behind the mouse and keyboard in terms accuracy and ease of movement.

I only use my keyboard some of the time...I usually use this bad boy when I can.

I'd have to hide that when I had people over so they didn't think I was a complete loser.

Dude you have over 13k posts on a video game forum. :P

It's ok to embrace who you are. :D

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#102 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"][QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

yet they are still behind the mouse and keyboard in terms accuracy and ease of movement.

I only use my keyboard some of the time...I usually use this bad boy when I can.

I'd have to hide that when I had people over so they didn't think I was a complete loser.

Dude you have over 13k posts on a video game forum. :P

It's ok to embrace who you are. :D

I've been around awhile ;)
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Consoles games might cost more . However consoles games have resale vaule. you can trade them in or sell them . while no one buys used pc games . you cant even rent most pc games . i don't know of any store that rents pc .

As for controls pc never movies on . It will always be tied down to k&m . Unles the game is dev for that controler it will always be held down by it . every gen console controls change and advance .

Johnny-n-Roger

Its nice to know you judge people based on the products they own...I'm not a loser by any means I have an academic life,social life,etc. Gaming is what you call a hobby.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"] 0_0 Chances of having a P2P server pulled are a lot better than having all the dedicated servers pulled....Do you think games like counterstrike would still be around if it were hosted P2P? P2P networks actually make the game more likely to ended because it relies solely on the publisher to fund it.UnknownSniper65

no, live is paid service and even then, they only need a gateway server, not a play server so it would be infinitly cheaper then to keep up then dedicated servers, in fact it would be the same server they use to give you the host of all the dedicated servers, you know that list you see when you pick a server? that comes from the dev's gateway, but instead of dedicated server a p2p system has players, and just picks one automaticly

Game Service Providers host the vast majority dedicated servers

...Quite frankly I hate live and I hate matchmaking. It along with RROD played a huge role in my getting rid of my Xbox 360. Simply put,

-I enjoy playing on the maps I want to play on

-I enjoy playing with the rules I want to play with

-I enjoy playing on new player created maps

-I enjoy playing with the communities found on dedicated servers

--------------------------------------------

Everytime I entered an xbox live game I was pretty disappointed in the entire system

-Forces you to play on whatever map matchmaking chooses

-No way of booting out racists,homophobes,loud people,etc

-Small games ( Im looking at you COD4,COD2,GeoW)

- No player created content

- requires a monthly fee....for them use your residential connection to host a game.

- Shooters are full of griefers,noobtubers,bunny hoppers,etc

Honestly the enter system felt like a step back...the $50 dollar fee was just icing the crap flavored cake.

what has that got to do with publishers, first you show you have no idea how p2p works and dedicated servers, i could care less about your preference, dedicated server have to be paid for by someone, p2p does not. but quite frankly i enjoy playing on all the maps instead of dealing with people that play on a select few because they have a camping spot i enjoy playing with the standard rules, as cheap as some of the nube toobs are they are their to balance off something else in the game I miss playing on user created maps, but most of the time the quality was never that good, or the design... small loss there I enjoy playing with communties and parties found on xbox live I also enjoy the match making service, makes it easy for me and my friends to hop into a game together, which most pc games cannot and about your xbox live dilema why shouldn't it put you on random maps, this again avoids certain people farming kills since there is no way to choose, instead of choosing a level you know your good at and just farming kills, its more equal and balanced you can review and avoid players, small games are a preference, they are more team oriented instead of a cluster f**** which is what typically xbox dev's shoot for, pc games you might be able to work in a small team or just rush in dieing all the time player created content is good and bad, sucks not having the option but unless you have mw2 dev tools for 360, then good luck making maps, shooters are filled with players, if you don't like the way other people play, then go play on pc where you get an advantage with outside rules see i've always felt xblive is a step in the right direction, its more communtiy oriented, easy to play with your friends, fair voting for maps that doesn't let you keep repeating one, good player review system so you know you can avoid people, and as for your "monthly fee to use a residential connections" shows you don't understand just what live is, there are other things that give resources to dev's and bring the quality of match making an VoIP excellant, M$ literally has all the netcode mostly written, so all the dev has to do is build a game ontop of it, you don't get that with any other system, not pc, ps3, wii, there are servers just for match making, party chat, and all game chat ( i know dev's don't have to put most of it in a game, i was reading an article about someone saying how on the ps3 they had to make sure they left room for voice chat in the game, but on 360 its already built into live so they had room for other things.) and if M$ improves the matchmaking, makes it faster, and same with VoIP then it will improve for all the games that use it, which happen to be all 360 games. M$ also has dedicated servers for all the patching, demos, videos, everything on marketplace . And we pay for this service, the unification of all the features, and pretty much making it standard through ALL games. it feels pretty archaic playing on a pc now with stupid server lists
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Johnny-n-Roger

Its nice to know you judge people based on the products they own...I'm not a loser by any means I have an academic life,social life,etc. Gaming is what you call a hobby.

You do hide it though, right?
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

LOL, wut? And is that person going to play the game, if yes, then how is it worthless?

Major_Reeves

You must have misread my post. My point was that by paying for a digital download, you have essentially purchased something that is of no resale value.

And why re-sell it?

Wouldn't it be much better to keep it? Since you bought it, means that you liked that X game by what you read on the reviews, forums, gameplay videos, story, etc.

Keeping the game'll let you later experience it again.

not really, i bought it, completly had my way with it, and when i'm done if its worth more to some one else, i'll trade it in and get something else, can't say the same about this stack of pc games i never plan on playing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#107 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"] I'd have to hide that when I had people over so they didn't think I was a complete loser.Johnny-n-Roger

I don't see what's so embarrassing about it.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

siLVURcross

I don't see what's so embarrassing about it.

O

ddly enough I usually don't make people look at my computer or my desk as soon as they enter my house...even then I've never had anyone poke fun at it....Seems like such a weird thing to be embarrassed about. I think he assuming that I have just a giant area of my house devoted to video games instead of a small corner of an unused room.

ttam01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#109 ttam01
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts

5 reasons console gaming is better than pc gaming

1- er um yea got nothing

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

tagyhag

In case you didn't know, you can use console controllers on the pc. ;)

And besides, you sound like being tied down to k/m is a bad thing! :P

I know you can use a controler on the pc. But unles the game is made with the controler in mind it will always limit pc interaction . the wii mote does thnigs that could never work with k&m.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

2)More games but not all are still compatabile with newer os's, compatibility issues, performance issues,

How is this a con against PCs and not against the 360 or PS3? the only games you can't play on newer OSs are games from the Windows 98 era and before and even then, there are usually patches that exist that allow vista/windows 7 play out of these games. What games from 10 years ago can you play on your 360 or PS3? Pretty sure both systems lack full backwards compatibility. I think this issue is far more of a Con on consoles than PCs.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Johnny-n-Roger

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

2)More games but not all are still compatabile with newer os's, compatibility issues, performance issues,

gamer620

How is this a con against PCs and not against the 360 or PS3? the only games you can't play on newer OSs are games from the Windows 98 era and before and even then, there are usually patches that exist that allow vista/windows 7 play out of these games. What games from 10 years ago can you play on your 360 or PS3? Pretty sure both systems lack full backwards compatibility. I think this issue is far more of a Con on consoles than PCs.

Castlevania SOTN, FFVII, MGSto name a few.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer620"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

Johnny-n-Roger

I am referring to ORIGINAL COPIES, not updated ports as the argument is that PCs have compatibility issues with older games. You can't argue that a port of a 10 year old game is the same thing as the physical disc of a game made 10 or more years ago. If we used your logic, sites like gog, impulse and steam all have Vista/Windows 7 compatible games from 10+ years ago (look at the lucasarts pack). Fact remains though, that you can play more original copies of games on a current PC than you can on current Consoles.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#114 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Mmmmm....just 5? I can at least think of 20...
Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts

PC gaming is really good, I've got a gts 250 so games do look great, but damn borderlands on PC has really pissed me off, Online just doesnt work it's **** and the **** patch they released did nothing, I shouldnt have to open all these **** ports just to make online work, I purchased the game So I expect online the f'ing work!!!!!!! PS3 version had online trouble as well but it was fixed quick smart but not the PC version! F U Gearbox!!!!!!!

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#116 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
1)Yes but both gamers/ gamedevelopers dont seem to care/ 2)Depends on the games you play and the quality of games. Eg if you want indies go to pc, but serious big buck developers stick to consoles mostly and throw a cheap console ported pc version. 3) Depends on how you see it. Many games like re5 or dead space have issues and people play them with gamepads.....am just saying. Also console gamers dont seem to care for keyboard and mouse control which is the better control you point out. 4)Mods? Most games nowadays dont even support mods. I blame the consoles but you get my point, nowadays the modding community is quite weaker compared to the old days and its pretty sad. As for the upgrades....why would you need an upgrade if the game is made and customized to run best on your console? You will only need upgrade on the pc if its a cheap port like gta iv for example. When everything else works just fine. 5)Ask me? i spend money every year on hardware in order for unoptimized games to run decently on my pc. Therfore the logic that you dont "need" an upgrade every year and therefore pc gaming is cheaper is not 100% correct. Atleast judging by my experiance, nowadays there is a crazy need for upgrading by both console games and pc exclusives like arma 2. Now ofcourse you wil point out that that is incorrect. But there is a game called crysis that compared with other games nowadays, it can be maxed quite easilly. So my question is why cant games run as well as crysis does? The funny thing is that crysis looks better than everything and it was very hard to max out when it came out, but now there are far more demanding games than crysis. Which is why i had to upgrade and i say that you HAVE to upgrade in order to play everything at a decent framerate when you could just buy a console and never change hardware again. So YES PC IS better than console, but with all those problems its more prefable to stick to a console, there you go the reasons to buy a console "outweight" the superiority of the pc as a gaming machine.....because it is NOT a gaming machine. Game developers refuse to see the superiority of the pc and advanced features like dx10, and prefer to develop on a real "gaming machine" and throw a cheap port to the pc. Now what can you do about it? Well thats another thing. But you only see one side of the coin. Maybe to you the pc looks flawless but it seems that there are plenty of reasons on why games and game developers prefer the consoles over the pc.
HermitQ6600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 HermitQ6600
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts
PC gaming is the reason I get up in the morning
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="dakan45"] 4)Mods? Most games nowadays dont even support mods. I blame the consoles but you get my point, nowadays the modding community is quite weaker compared to the old days and its pretty sad.

Just no, there is a serious strain of lack of knowledge there. Easier, more readily available SDKs have made things better, especially with engines like Unity and freaking Unreal 3 (UDK) being free. The mod and indie scene is flourishing of recent, there is an abundance of fantastic things out there. And I say that as someone working on such projects. This is a huge advantage of the system.
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

PC gaming is great and all but it's still not better than console gaming. Mainly because you gotta go search around for patches and crap to get games to work and split screen/same screen multiplayer is pretty much non existent.

UnknownSniper65

steam automatically patches games.

Steam isn't as perfect as I once thought, publishers make it bad. Instead of keeping Steam an all in one hub for those games, publishers still feel the need to put in CD keys, 3rd party DRM and sometimes games for windows (which doesn't work nearly as well as I thought it should).

As if ANY of those things are needed on steam :|

CD Keys and 3rd party DRM... ON STEAM :evil: its just so dumb. Games for windows and getting the 360 wifi controller working on vista is a bit of a headache for me right now. How does that just not work, VISTA+GFW+360 control pad should equal, easy. Somehow my controller stops working in redfaction guerrilla the moment it signs in to GFW. :?

This stuff should work like iTunes and iPod.

I'm starting to think that publishers left to their own devices ruins gaming, they're just too dumb. Left to their own ideas, they have managed to miss the whole point of steam making what was supposed to be a hub that made PC gaming simple, needlessly complicated. Lucky for them they have to go by rules on consoles, otherwise they would make a mess there too.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

I know you can use a controler on the pc. But unles the game is made with the controler in mind it will always limit pc interaction . the wii mote does thnigs that could never work with k&m.

Xbox 360 game ports usually supports Xbox 360 controllers.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="Totalgym9000"]

PC gaming is really good, I've got a gts 250 so games do look great, but damn borderlands on PC has really pissed me off, Online just doesnt work it's **** and the **** patch they released did nothing, I shouldnt have to open all these **** ports just to make online work, I purchased the game So I expect online the f'ing work!!!!!!! PS3 version had online trouble as well but it was fixed quick smart but not the PC version! F U Gearbox!!!!!!!

GearBox are just *professional* mods. Most the heavy work was done by Epic.
ras2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ras2009
Member since 2006 • 2772 Posts

Some of them points are down to preference i prefer the ps3/360 controler to my K&M and i don't see what your trying to do with this thread its not exactly gonna change someone to go onto pc gaming is it? most people already know this and don't see some of them points as a advantage.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="Johnny-n-Roger"]

[QUOTE="gamer620"] How is this a con against PCs and not against the 360 or PS3? the only games you can't play on newer OSs are games from the Windows 98 era and before and even then, there are usually patches that exist that allow vista/windows 7 play out of these games. What games from 10 years ago can you play on your 360 or PS3? Pretty sure both systems lack full backwards compatibility. I think this issue is far more of a Con on consoles than PCs.gamer620

I am referring to ORIGINAL COPIES, not updated ports as the argument is that PCs have compatibility issues with older games. You can't argue that a port of a 10 year old game is the same thing as the physical disc of a game made 10 or more years ago. If we used your logic, sites like gog, impulse and steam all have Vista/Windows 7 compatible games from 10+ years ago (look at the lucasarts pack). Fact remains though, that you can play more original copies of games on a current PC than you can on current Consoles.

even things going from xp to vista have issues, most of the time you can find work arounds but it still shouldn't be this difficult. Even new games coming out might have issues,
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#124 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

why matters if you have console and good pc?

sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

and i still prefer consoles

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#126 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

1)Yes but both gamers/ gamedevelopers dont seem to care/

Many gamers care, as the install base for the PC in terms of gaming is bigger than that of all current gen consoles combined. Devs care otherwise nobody would be developing for PC.

2)Depends on the games you play and the quality of games. Eg if you want indies go to pc, but serious big buck developers stick to consoles mostly and throw a cheap console ported pc version.

Like Bioware? Bethesda? Ubisoft? Crytek? Rochsteady? Capcom? The Creative Assembly? Ironclad Games? Blizzard? GSC Gameworld? CD Projekt?

Etc, etc, etc.

3) Depends on how you see it. Many games like re5 or dead space have issues and people play them with gamepads.....am just saying. Also console gamers dont seem to care for keyboard and mouse control which is the better control you point out.

You said it, sometimes people like to use a controller. The choice of 2 is better that the choice of 1 isn't it?

4)Mods? Most games nowadays dont even support mods. I blame the consoles but you get my point, nowadays the modding community is quite weaker compared to the old days and its pretty sad. As for the upgrades....why would you need an upgrade if the game is made and customized to run best on your console? You will only need upgrade on the pc if its a cheap port like gta iv for example. When everything else works just fine.

Whilst fewer games are using mods, there are still many, many, many moddable current releases out there. How are games made to run best on a console if the PC version runs better? That makes no sense.

5)Ask me? i spend money every year on hardware in order for unoptimized games to run decently on my pc. Therfore the logic that you dont "need" an upgrade every year and therefore pc gaming is cheaper is not 100% correct. Atleast judging by my experiance, nowadays there is a crazy need for upgrading by both console games and pc exclusives like arma 2. Now ofcourse you wil point out that that is incorrect. But there is a game called crysis that compared with other games nowadays, it can be maxed quite easilly. So my question is why cant games run as well as crysis does? The funny thing is that crysis looks better than everything and it was very hard to max out when it came out, but now there are far more demanding games than crysis. Which is why i had to upgrade and i say that you HAVE to upgrade in order to play everything at a decent framerate when you could just buy a console and never change hardware again. So YES PC IS better than console, but with all those problems its more prefable to stick to a console, there you go the reasons to buy a console "outweight" the superiority of the pc as a gaming machine.....because it is NOT a gaming machine. Game developers refuse to see the superiority of the pc and advanced features like dx10, and prefer to develop on a real "gaming machine" and throw a cheap port to the pc. Now what can you do about it? Well thats another thing. But you only see one side of the coin. Maybe to you the pc looks flawless but it seems that there are plenty of reasons on why games and game developers prefer the consoles over the pc.

There is very little need to upgrade nowadays, much less than there was a few years ago. Currently hardware development is outpacing software development by a country mile, and the games aren't yet taking advantage of the hardware. Buggy games like GTA4 have been patched and are now much more user-friendly.

PC is a gaming machine if you want it to be. Mine is strictly for gaming ergo, it is a gaming machine.

Lol at "real gaming" machine, they are all real gaming machines, be them Wii, 360, PS3, PC, PSP or DS.

*SOME* devs prefer consoles. Many, many devs prefer PC, and many console devs still port to PC anyway with *usually* a superior version.

dakan45

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#127 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

you can come up with a million reasons, i will still prefer console gaming over pc gamng, live with it

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

Indeed that's true, that's why I love the Wii.

But I also love this.