Faceoff: Batman Arkham Knight.

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

The visual return is easy to see; on PS4 the game runs at a full native 1920x1080 resolution many hoped would be the standard this generation. It's perhaps not the crispest example of a full-HD game, owing to its heavy post-process anti-aliasing, and a film grain filter - but the visibility of Gotham's city-line is all the clearer for running at this pixel count. Pop-in is something that flares up from time-to-time, but overall the game looks gorgeous in motion and rarely shows its rough edges.

On Xbox One, every single effect and detail carries directly across from the Sony release. Texture mapping is identical, and in terms of asset streaming there are only minor variances between the two versions when it comes to texture pop-in. However, it's a familiar scenario in the resolution stakes, and we get an upscaled 1600x900 on Xbox One that causes more pixel-crawl on distant buildings than we see on PS4. This is accentuated by Arkham Knight's post effects - the same gamut of filters as seen on PS4 - where a chromatic aberration pass heightens the effect of pixel-crawl in brightly-lit areas.

On balance, Xbox One shows a trend of more hiccups and tears overall as we glide through the city, though the difference isn't stark. It's not enough to detract from the playing experience on either platform, but it's fair to say PS4 is a smoother performer as an overarching rule. Impressively, as of patch 1.02 playback on Sony's platform is even more polished than results we experienced in our review code - and the fully patched Xbox One release surpasses this older Sony build too. It's a very solid 30fps turnout for both, and in light of the frame-pacing issues experienced in recent games, a real breath of fresh air.

The PC's dire situation may cast a shadow over its launch, but the fact remains that Arkham Knight is an exceptional release on console. It also says a lot about Rocksteady's assessments of PS4 and Xbox One when designing the game, having laid out the game's blueprint well before truly knowing either console's specs. In the end, it's a superb release whether you go with Microsoft or Sony's hardware - though the preference is with the clarity of PS4's 1080p output. Also weighing in the slightly smoother performance overall when gliding through Gotham's streets, it's fair to say this is the technical champ of the two.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-batman-arkham-knight-face-off

Another win for sony.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I'm surprised at the lack of bugs. I haven't run into a single one. Where now it's all about "AAA games being broken messes", this one comes out just fine.

Except for the PC version of course. Although that's more of a porting issue.

Strutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Strutten
Member since 2008 • 1263 Posts

@tormentos said:

The visual return is easy to see; on PS4 the game runs at a full native 1920x1080 resolution many hoped would be the standard this generation. It's perhaps not the crispest example of a full-HD game, owing to its heavy post-process anti-aliasing, and a film grain filter - but the visibility of Gotham's city-line is all the clearer for running at this pixel count. Pop-in is something that flares up from time-to-time, but overall the game looks gorgeous in motion and rarely shows its rough edges.

On Xbox One, every single effect and detail carries directly across from the Sony release. Texture mapping is identical, and in terms of asset streaming there are only minor variances between the two versions when it comes to texture pop-in. However, it's a familiar scenario in the resolution stakes, and we get an upscaled 1600x900 on Xbox One that causes more pixel-crawl on distant buildings than we see on PS4. This is accentuated by Arkham Knight's post effects - the same gamut of filters as seen on PS4 - where a chromatic aberration pass heightens the effect of pixel-crawl in brightly-lit areas.

On balance, Xbox One shows a trend of more hiccups and tears overall as we glide through the city, though the difference isn't stark. It's not enough to detract from the playing experience on either platform, but it's fair to say PS4 is a smoother performer as an overarching rule. Impressively, as of patch 1.02 playback on Sony's platform is even more polished than results we experienced in our review code - and the fully patched Xbox One release surpasses this older Sony build too. It's a very solid 30fps turnout for both, and in light of the frame-pacing issues experienced in recent games, a real breath of fresh air.

The PC's dire situation may cast a shadow over its launch, but the fact remains that Arkham Knight is an exceptional release on console. It also says a lot about Rocksteady's assessments of PS4 and Xbox One when designing the game, having laid out the game's blueprint well before truly knowing either console's specs. In the end, it's a superb release whether you go with Microsoft or Sony's hardware - though the preference is with the clarity of PS4's 1080p output. Also weighing in the slightly smoother performance overall when gliding through Gotham's streets, it's fair to say this is the technical champ of the two.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-batman-arkham-knight-face-off

Another win for sony.

its been known for months dude.. only really difference is res.. but sure its a win..
Some users here, are just hilarious.. anyway good for you.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

#Sonyrace

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

The pc version was bad, because pc gamers do not buy games with publishers responding by not caring.

A sad truth.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Who cares, I'm just pissed about my PC version

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tormentos

@Strutten said:

its been known for months dude.. only really difference is res.. but sure its a win..

Some users here, are just hilarious.. anyway good for you.

No is not read dude is also smoother on PS4 has less tearing and less drops in frames.

@chikenfriedrice said:

Who cares, I'm just pissed about my PC version

You should have gone PS4...hahahhahahahahaa...

Me to i am waiting for a FiX on the PC version fu** fu**....

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

yay, ps4 gets another slightly better version of an average game. $400 well spent.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tormentos

@mems_1224 said:

yay, ps4 gets another slightly better version of an average game. $400 well spent.

It is well spent if you add up all the games that are superior on PS4,worse at launch the xbox one was $100 more and had 720p version of games.,.lol

Oh i say yeah money well spent..lol

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@mems_1224: Average game? No. Fantastic game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224

@DocSanchez said:

nah, so far its the worst arkham game for me. batmobile is fucking awful.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224

@tormentos said:
@mems_1224 said:

It is well spent if you add up all the games that are superior on PS4,worse at launch the xbox one was $100 more and had 720p version of games.,.lol

Oh i say yeah money well spent..lol

So then you admit its better to buy a PC instead. Great, glad we agree.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@tormentos: http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/South-Park.jpg

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@mems_1224 said:
@DocSanchez said:

much worse than Arkham: Origins ?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@tormentos: Yeah man, very disappointed....I have a good PC and unlocked the fps and still get drops to single digits, unplayable. PS4 does win, for now.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@tormentos said:

Another win for sony.

generic game 7/10

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

"Impressively, as of patch 1.02 playback on Sony's platform is even more polished than results we experienced in our review code - and the fully patched Xbox One release surpasses this older Sony build too. It's a very solid 30fps turnout for both, and in light of the frame-pacing issues experienced in recent games, a real breath of fresh air."

Tormentos fails to highlight this.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I'm surprised at the lack of bugs. I haven't run into a single one. Where now it's all about "AAA games being broken messes", this one comes out just fine.

Except for the PC version of course. Although that's more of a porting issue.

Porting issue or not, this game has literally become the quintessential broken mess of PC. Regardless of the fact that these issues are exclusive to PC (which makes it even more ridiculous) it is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen anyone in this industry make. So yeah, this is actually a perfect example of AAA games being a broken mess. Money corrodes.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mems_1224

@the_master_race said:
@mems_1224 said:
@DocSanchez said:

much worse than Arkham: Origins ?

I like Origins more than this game so far. None of the Batman games are bad but this is my least favorite.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@parkurtommo said:

Porting issue or no, this game has literally become the quintessential broken mess of PC. Regardless of the fact that these issues are exclusive to PC (which makes it even more ridiculous) it is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen anyone in this industry make. So yeah, this is actually a perfect example of AAA games being a broken mess. Money corrodes.

Yeah, I guess that's one way of looking at it. Still, game is polished as ****.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

dat hermit bug race fits them verry well

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@DocSanchez said:

How is it awfuk? Beautiful design, solid controls, wonderful sense of speed coupled with the destructive environment. I don't think the batmobile is awful.

Are you using the batmobile to move around between missions? Because that's probably what would make the game saturated with batmobile gameplay.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

The pc version was bad, because pc gamers do not buy games with publishers responding by not caring.

A sad truth.

Thats why EA took 5 years to port FIFA to PC SAME AS LAST GEN? Oh wait...

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

So basically another comparison where DF needs to point out the differences. Any real gamer who would be playing it on both consoles wouldn't notice the difference. Got it.

Another major win for Sony.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#25 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

PS4 wins again, shocking news.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tormentos

@mems_1224 said:

So then you admit its better to buy a PC instead. Great, glad we agree.

No if you like Uncharted or any PS4 exclusive no,it depends if you have the cash for a better than PS4 PC yes it is,if you don't why bother most PC out there are not even over PS4 level in power.

But how is that relevant to what i say.? The xbox one was more expensive,the PS4 was cheaper than a PC so i don't yet your point,well i do get that you hide on PC again to defend your lovable xbox brand..lol

@commander said:

generic game 7/10

Hahahahaa on this site is generic on meta it has 89% that is higher than any xbox one exclusive this gen so far..lol

But what does been generic or bad had to do with my thread which isn't about reviews is about performance.?

That damage control...

@draign said:

"Impressively, as of patch 1.02 playback on Sony's platform is even more polished than results we experienced in our review code - and the fully patched Xbox One release surpasses this older Sony build too. It's a very solid 30fps turnout for both, and in light of the frame-pacing issues experienced in recent games, a real breath of fresh air."

What can't you read the patch make the xbox one version beat the OLD PS4 version before the patch.

Here let me help you.

Unpatch.

PS4 >> xbox one

Patch

PS4 >> Xbox one

Patch xbox one Unpatch PS4

XBO >> PS4.

Learn to read the PS4 version is smoother and has higher resolution is a win for sony.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

@True_Gamer_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

A sad truth.

Sadly, when Dragon Age, a franchise, based off a pc franchise transitions almost immediately to console focus to improve sales, the original comment appears unarguably true.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I have still have my code for the premium version on PC from GMG. Should I wait or redeem it now?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@clyde46 said:

I have still have my code for the premium version on PC from GMG. Should I wait or redeem it now?

I'd wait but I don't imagine it would hurt to redeem it now either.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By commander

@tormentos said:
@commander said:

generic game 7/10

Hahahahaa on this site is generic on meta it has 89% that is higher than any xbox one exclusive this gen so far..lol

But what does been generic or bad had to do with my thread which isn't about reviews is about performance.?

That damage control...

Never cared about batman

The game does nothing new as well. They try to mimic spiderman in a rainy gotham city with a film grain filter.

As far as current gen games go this game is pretty generic.

I would say if graphics is really your thing get a pc but... it doesn't work. Well at least you got a new game on your shitty ps4

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 commander
@princessgomez92 said:

PS4 wins again, shocking news.

no it's the one time that the pc doesn't win. Pc have 4k resolution and sony fans still whines about 900p vs 1080p, when it actually manages to keep 30 fps.

Glad you sony fans have a game, i'm playing fifa on consoles.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

@commander: Never cared about Batman? Bite your tongue.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Those are some of the most microscopic differences for a system supposed to be 50% more powerful, in the end the Xbox One port of the game is quite impressive and I don't think anybody is going to feel cheated by not playing the PS4 version... well, not due to performance anyways, PS4 still has those Scarcrow Missions coming.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 commander

@LJS9502_basic said:

why would I, i'm entitled to my opinion. If you like it good for you, i don't

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@tormentos: http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/South-Park.jpg

Nailed it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

So basically another comparison where DF needs to point out the differences. Any real gamer who would be playing it on both consoles wouldn't notice the difference. Got it.

Just had a friend in Somers, NY do it at his BBQ like 10 days ago. Used Shadow of Mordor, 900p X1 vs 1080p PS4. 6 gamers, myself included could not tell the difference on a 37" HDTV, and a 40" HDTV. Two major cows in the group and they had a good laugh at themselves. Really good guys from my brothers FDNY troop. But as we all said afterwards this is splitting hairs.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@commander said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Someone needs a sense of humor.....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
@cainetao11 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Just had a friend in Somers, NY do it at his BBQ like 10 days ago. Used Shadow of Mordor, 900p X1 vs 1080p PS4. 6 gamers, myself included could not tell the difference on a 37" HDTV, and a 40" HDTV. Two major cows in the group and they had a good laugh at themselves. Really good guys from my brothers FDNY troop. But as we all said afterwards this is splitting hairs.

That's just sad dude....

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@tormentos and @Salt_The_Fries looking extra salty on this thread.. shots fired!

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@commander said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Someone needs a sense of humor.....

what's so funny?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

That's just sad dude....

Best part was when a guy's heavy set wife got in front of the TV's and started slapping her ass saying "this one looks best, boys!!" I was cracking up

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It's a shame hermits don't get to enjoy finished games.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commander

@draign said:

yeah the faster cpu is something you can't hide. But it runs at 1080peeeuuuh

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@True_Gamer_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

A sad truth.

Sadly, when Dragon Age, a franchise, based off a pc franchise transitions almost immediately to console focus to improve sales, the original comment appears unarguably true.

So piracy for FIFA was reduced for EA to release its most expensive franchise (COUNTING LISCENCE COST!) in 10 months?

Last gen PC had piracy and this gen doesnt?

Why 2k ported NBA to PC after 10 months?

It is very strange how you avoid spewing a single word on what I write....

You must be afraid to face facts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup

@True_Gamer_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@True_Gamer_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

A sad truth.

So piracy for FIFA was reduced for EA to release its most expensive franchise (COUNTING LISCENCE COST!) in 10 months?

Last gen PC had piracy and this gen doesnt?

Why 2k ported NBA to PC after 10 months?

It is very strange how you avoid spewing a single word on what I write....

You must be afraid to face facts

Using opinions against facts will not change the reality of the situation. Facts where given, pc gaming in it's current form is at an end, nothing can stop that; for it is now a port machine, a glorified console, in the case of Arkham Knight - not even that.

Enough words, at least have it die with an ounce of dignity.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

You used your one get out of jail free (aka PC) card on a 7.0 game :P

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

One of the best looking multiplats this gen!

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

The moment a multiplat does a little better on the X1...you can bet you'll be in there claiming the glory.

Like how the last COD had an average of 2-4 more frames overall running at a high 55fps.

OMG....the PS4 version was at 50fps at one point....what a fucking victory for the X1.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Such a shame if they didn't fumble the pc version. This could have been a well built multiplat with no issues to complain on any platform. I know ps4 runs a wee bit smoother but xb1 pretty much on target not much fps issues to complain. Nothing much to complain about, shame for the pc version.