Face it. Blu-Ray is NEEDED! ***edited with new dev comments***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts

I have never seen a well-constructed argument as this one.

Well done and excellent point/quotation. Now people can *stop* saying that the PS3 is only for movies. -.-

girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts

I swear, did any of you even read the quotes taken straight from the mouths of people like Mark Rein of epic games, the creator of your beloved Gears of War!?!makingmusic476

Obviously they didn't. :o

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Pop Quiz!

What percentage (%) PS3 games have used more than 7GBs?

(not including the extra languages and unusused, junk code)

When you have the answer, tell me why Blu-ray is necessary.

Dreams-Visions

So...no Cow takers on my challenge?

I thought not.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
I don't believe Bluray is needed for gaming... Games already look incredible at this stage... Gears bests anything released last gen and it's on 1 DVD9. Oblivion is longer than practically all RPG's released last gen(for console's) and it looks gorgeous to boot, and it's on 1 DVD9. GTA IV looks fan freaking tastic and it's on 1 DVD9.. COD4, Bioshock the list goes on and on... The only thing needed to further gaming is built in HDD's and alot more memory than 512mb.. The only reason Sony spearheaded br is to control the rights to the medium when it became successful... and it looks like it's paying off. However this really has no barring on VG's... Hell PC's still use DVD's and their games trump nearly all consoles offerings..
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#355 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]really now? you might eplaining me why uncharted, heavenly short and some other ps3 exclusives are so goddamn short....? please, having BR is a luxary......it isnt a requirement.....and just for the point of it....cgi movies take alot alot of memory....jhcho2

If Bluray is a luxury, then please tell me what constitutes a need for it? How do we know when a generation needs one particular type of disc? MGS4 takes up almost 50Gb. So technically, MGS4 NEEDS Bluray. But then again, how many games in the market must need Bluray in order for the Bluray format be classified as being really needed? 10? Why 10? 50? Why 50?.

What most of you fail to see is that many games like Gears of War fit in one disc because the developers aren't stupid. Which insane developer will start making a 20 Gb game being fully aware than they only have 9Gb at their disposal? Hence, it would make perfect sense if perhaps Epic made the game just long enough so that it fits in a DVD9. It's all about planning and management. You guys think it's a coincidence? If MS threw a HD-DVD drive as a standard format, Epic could have made their game better, based on what is available.

Claiming that games don't need Blu-ray because every game appears to fit in a DVD9 is the mootest point ever. It's more like developers abandon ambitiously high space consuming alternatives because it's something they don't have. Not something they don't need.

:lol: excuse me? do you know the difference between using compressed and uncompressed data? this is how they can fit so much data into 9gbs.......saying that blu-ray is needed is just drop down studid, as far as i know delevopers can manage without it.....and if this is so....i have yet to see a game that takes "advantage" of blu-ray...lats time i heard they have to copy and paste textures of the game...just to reduce the loading times...not only that, but also instal data onto ur harddrive......ohhh if im not mistaken....i heard some ps3 games had dummy files as well....having extra space is a good thing for developers....but saying that is requirement......its just silly
caligamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 caligamer
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

Sony pushed blu-ray because they love money. Not because they were thinking "Hey, we wanna have more -storage- for games". They own the entertainment field, and now they wanted everyone to buy Blu-ray movies and blu-ray players so they can make another cool multi-billion dollars. Makes me laugh when people think Sony are a nice people-person corp.

xsubtownerx

You think Microsoft is any better, any company is looking to make money, Micosoft is even worse than Sony they released low quality system and that gets the RROD, and add extra costs like wireless adapter, battery packs, XBL. I feel sorry for the developers making AAA games for a A console.

caligamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 caligamer
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

Dreams-Visions

I thought not.

How are we supposed to know how much space the game takes up does it say on the front, so far I have heard that MGS 4 takes up the whole 50GB!

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

caligamer

I thought not.

How are we supposed to know how much space the game takes up does it say on the front, so far I have heard that MGS 4 takes up the whole 50GB!

The information is out there...

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

Microsoft and Nintendo dont think its needed. And just look at the current standings. So do you think its still needed?jfkunrendered

Isn't SSBB on a DL DVD???

I mean if a game like that requires a DL DVD, would you honestly think games like GTA IV support your Idea of VD being sufficent??

Games like GT4 last gen was Like 7 Gb I think.

WHy would GT5 be able to fit a such a disc

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

People like you need to realize that Blu Ray is NOT needed. At this point, it's just nice to have. When the average game fills a DVD 9 and multiple disc games become a standard, then a higher capacity disc format will be necessary. In a few years when the aforementioned conditions are met, then Blu Ray will be necessary.

Bottom line, as long as games are still fitting on DVD 9's with space to spare, Blu Ray will not be necessary.

The_Game21x

Lost Odyssey says Hi!!

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

People like you need to realize that Blu Ray is NOT needed. At this point, it's just nice to have. When the average game fills a DVD 9 and multiple disc games become a standard, then a higher capacity disc format will be necessary. In a few years when the aforementioned conditions are met, then Blu Ray will be necessary.

Bottom line, as long as games are still fitting on DVD 9's with space to spare, Blu Ray will not be necessary.

Zero5000X

Lost Odyssey says Hi!!

Lost Odyssey works just fine on the DVD-9 format.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 Zero5000X
[QUOTE="caligamer"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

Dreams-Visions

I thought not.

So MGS4 struggles to fit on 50gb... whats your argument again?

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 Zero5000X
[QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Dreams-Visions

Lost Odyssey says Hi!!

4 discs.

joe_g_patton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#364 joe_g_patton
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

Yes, the future of humanity depends upon blu-ray.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#365 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Zero5000X

Lost Odyssey says Hi!!

4 discs.

Because it, like Blue Dragon before it, is loaded with HD CGI cutscenes. If these weren't in there, I have no reason to believe they both wouldn't have fit on a DVD-9.

And I think you need to read my post again. I said when multi disc games become a standard then Blu-Ray will be necessary.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 The_Game21x
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="caligamer"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

Zero5000X

I thought not.

Okay, you've got one. Now find two.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Zero5000X
[QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

The_Game21x

Lost Odyssey says Hi!!

4 discs.

Because it, like Blue Dragon before it, is loaded with HD CGI cutscenes. If these weren't in there, I have no reason to believe they both wouldn't have fit on a DVD-9.

And I think you need to read my post again. I said when multi disc games become a standard then Blu-Ray will be necessary.

i don't think blu-ray is necessary as games play fine on DVD-9. Blu-ray is still better though.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

Dreams-Visions

I thought not.

The answer would include games that were done pretty sloppy right?????

Come on guys games have been on DVD since last Gen.

We've seen consoles get like 10X more power than what they were last gen. I mean come on wouldn't the content on the disc get marginally bigger.

Or is it that DVD weren't needed last gen

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]

Sony pushed blu-ray because they love money. Not because they were thinking "Hey, we wanna have more -storage- for games". They own the entertainment field, and now they wanted everyone to buy Blu-ray movies and blu-ray players so they can make another cool multi-billion dollars. Makes me laugh when people think Sony are a nice people-person corp.

donwoogie

When DVDs were released, people scoffed. Then, a year down the line, games were 4 CDs big and look who came crawling back!

Games went multi-CD before DVD came out (FF7 was 1997 and was 3 CDs IIRC).
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="caligamer"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

Zero5000X

I thought not.

1 game out of 300 does not qualify the argument "blu-ray is needed". Nor does 2 games. Nor does 3. You can't make the sweeping accusation that something is "needed" when it is a feature that realistically only benefits 0.002% of the games that are on the market.

That's the equivalence of saying everyone needs to have a 700HP engine in their car....because Formula 1 cars do.

The needs of the extreme minority do not suggest a need for the overwhelming majority.

Get it?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

Pop Quiz!

Blinblingthing

I thought not.

We've seen consoles get like 10X more power than what they were last gen. I mean come on wouldn't the content on the disc get marginally bigger.

But how are you gonna fit everything without enough RAM?
ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
The consumers have spoken. Just take a look at Wii sales.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 Dreams-Visions

Pop Quiz!

Blinblingthing

I thought not.

bling, we are, by many measures, about 50% though this cosnsole generation (years). the 360 will be 3 at the end of this year. in a market that is new again every 5 years or so. maybe a little less for Sony. In that time, we've seen only 2 or 3 games that actually *could not fit* on DVD-9. Some like Resistance contained 16GBs of uncompressed sound and multiple languages. Unnecessary stuff. Junk code everywhere. Those things do not constitute "necessity". We've seen games like Warhawk--technical marvels...visual beauties--weighing in at 1GB.

To make the sweeping statement that "blu-ray is needed" has no basis in 2008. Maybe in 2010 we'll have a good number of games that need more space than DVD-9 can hold. But the reality is that 99% of games out or coming out in 2008 DO NOT NEED THAT SPACE.

that is my point. and quite frankly, it's a damn good one.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

The_Game21x

Lost Odyssey says Hi!!

4 discs.

Indeed. Mass Effect and Oblivion say hi to Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and FFIII.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 Blinblingthing

The_Game21x

Lost Odyssey says Hi!!

4 discs.

WHy should Dev be cutting such content from disc just to simply fit it on a disc????

You guys fail to realise with all these Cuts it shouldn't be hard to fit games on CDs, Cut Couple of levels, Voice Acting, CG, Cut scenes, Then Heavily compress the Data on the discs so it results in long load times decompressing the data.

Truth is some games probably won't need Blu-ray lets say Street Fight 4 or most other fighting games, But games like GT and others woth 30 hours of gameplay are definetly packing serious content which would warrant the extra space.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#376 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

Yes, MARGINALLY bigger. Most games last gen could fit on a DVD 5. The only games that went on to multiple discs last gen were a few RPG's. The only games that have needed more than a disc this gen are a few RPG's. DVD is plenty for the vast majority of games this generation....it's better for the 99% of games that don't need the extra space to have the extra disc read speed this gen and multidisc the 1% than it would be to penalize the 99% with less disc speed simply to have that 1% be on a single disc.

The vast majority of games were WELL beyond 650 Megabytes at the start of last gen...the vast majority of games were well under 9 gig at the start of this gen...DVD was needed because games had already gone beyond what CD's could hold...Blu ray is NOT needed because the majority of games have not gone beyond what a DVD can hold. How people figure DVD being needed MUST mean that bluray is needed is beyond me...there isn't a correlation between the two.

stephant_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#377 stephant_6
Member since 2005 • 1758 Posts
Did no one notice that this thread is almost a year old?
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 Dreams-Visions

WHy should Dev be cutting such content from disc just to simply fit it on a disc????

You guys fail to realise with all these Cuts it shouldn't be hard to fit games on CDs, Cut Couple of levels, Voice Acting, CG, Cut scenes, Then Heavily compress the Data on the discs so it results in long load times decompressing the data.

Truth is some games probably won't need Blu-ray lets say Street Fight 4 or most other fighting games, But games like GT and others woth 30 hours of gameplay are definetly packing serious content which would warrant the extra space.

Blinblingthing

1.) You make the mistake of associating game lenght with disc space. You've been here long enough. Shouldn't this generation have taught you better? (Mass Effect, Oblivion, Heavenly Sword, LAIR, Uncharted)???

2.) Obviously going from 7GB to 800MB is silly. Don't make a silly argument trying to prove your point that compressing things is a bad thing. Makes you look overly-dramatic.

3.) How many games are having to sacrifice levels and voice-acting? CG cutscenes? People are saying:

a.) Cutscenes don't need to be in HD and 40 minutes long. Make them in SD.

b.) Games don't *need* linear PCM sound in 7.1. That caters to an extreme minority of gamers who have such systems. The EXTREME minority. DD sound in Resistance would have saved damn near 15GBs. How many people would have missed 7.1 sound? What percentage? Therein lies the point.

Bottom line: 99% of games on the PS3 today and tomorrow will have been able to fit on DVD-9 without issue. Most games are sitting on 25GB Blu-ray discs and taking up less than 7GBs.

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts

xsubtownerx
don't try to accuse Sony of being greedy, when the greediest/monopolistic corporation on the face of the planet is microsoft
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

Dreams-Visions

I thought not.

bling, we are, by many measures, about 50% though this cosnsole generation (years). the 360 will be 3 at the end of this year. in a market that is new again every 5 years or so. maybe a little less for Sony. In that time, we've seen only 2 or 3 games that actually *could not fit* on DVD-9. Some like Resistance contained 16GBs of uncompressed sound and multiple languages. Unnecessary stuff. Junk code everywhere. Those things do not constitute "necessity". We've seen games like Warhawk--technical marvels...visual beauties--weighing in at 1GB.

To make the sweeping statement that "blu-ray is needed" has no basis in 2008. Maybe in 2010 we'll have a good number of games that need more space than DVD-9 can hold. But the reality is that 99% of games out or coming out in 2008 DO NOT NEED THAT SPACE.

Your right We don't need BD type of space

the same as you'd need DVD space compared to Cds

But I am simply stating that these PS2 games we're playing anymore, We're playing games with HD resolutions, Higher quality everything (Backgrounds, Characters, sounds, environments have you.) I am just saying I don't think Devs are going to tell you yes we included HD sound, environments, cut scenes and all those bunch of extra goodies all on a DVD.

Sure you don't need all that HD material, But hey I'd love to see them in there.

I mean lets put all this power in these consoles to some good

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]

C_BozkurT_C

don't try to accuse Sony of being greedy, when the greediest/monopolistic corporation on the face of the planet is microsoft

Moral relativism will not win you any arguments here. You can't justify one person's wrong-doing by pointing another's. If you're wrong you're wrong.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Pop Quiz!

Blinblingthing

I thought not.

Your right We don't need BD type of space

the same as you'd need DVD space compared to Cds

But I am simply stating that these PS2 games we're playing anymore, We're playing games with HD resolutions, Higher quality everything (Backgrounds, Characters, sounds, environments have you.) I am just saying I don't think Devs are going to tell you yes we included HD sound, environments, cut scenes and all those bunch of extra goodies all on a DVD.

Sure you don't need all that HD material, But hey I'd love to see them in there.

I mean lets put all this power in these consoles to some good

Bling, I'm not saying I have a problem with Blu-ray. I appreciate it. I like watching my movies on it. But you can't compare the gaming necessity of DVDs vs. Blu-ray to CDs.

There are some things, suffice it to say, that don't compress that well. *most* 360 and PS3 games are between 3GB and 7GBs. And by "most" I mean probably more than 90%.

All of those 90%+ of games would suffer from being on CD. In the context of this conversation, we have succeffully named 1 or 2 games (though I could name 4 or 5 more) that would suffer from being on DVD. But that's 5 games out of hundreds. I don't think it's possible to make the same argument with CD.

But I'm done with this conversation. Have a good one.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

Dreams-Visions

1.) You make the mistake of associating game lenght with disc space. You've been here long enough. Shouldn't this generation have taught you better? (Mass Effect, Oblivion, Heavenly Sword, LAIR, Uncharted)???

2.) Obviously going from 7GB to 800MB is silly. Don't make a silly argument trying to prove your point that compressing things is a bad thing. Makes you look overly-dramatic.

3.) How many games are having to sacrifice levels and voice-acting? CG cutscenes? People are saying:

b.) Games don't *need* linear PCM sound in 7.1. That caters to an extreme minority of gamers who have such systems. The EXTREME minority. DD sound in Resistance would have saved damn near 15GBs. How many people would have missed 7.1 sound? What percentage? Therein lies the point.

Bottom line: 99% of games on the PS3 today and tomorrow will have been able to fit on DVD-9 without issue. Most games are sitting on 25GB Blu-ray discs and taking up less than 7GBs.

I do Know that Game Length isn't directly associated with Game Size

Going from 7 Gb to 800Mb is silly but not impossible. My point is that there comes a point when a Dev can Cut no more. These alot of things a dev can add or not add. Its all about the game and the level of depth you want in it. Me personally, I'd expect Street Fight to be on a DVD. but If I am the dev on GT expect over 15 Gb of content. Smple because of the nature of the game. Beyond the typical lots of cars and tracks, Id be add lots car racing videos to the game disc. Sure you don't need those videos but you have to admit it does add to the whole immersive effect of the game.

So At the end of the day your right, Its not impossible to have games done on DVDs, I also strongly agree you can get them on there with some pretty immersive game play sequences and goodies. All I am saying is that adding even more to this already great experice is likely to result in that game being on a BD instead

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 The_Game21x
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Blinblingthing

In this case, devs didn't have to cut content. They merely spread the content out over a couple of discs.

And these are just two games. To date, among the 100+ games available for the Xbox 360, these are the only ones that have required more than one disc. Again, seeing as the vast majority of games do not need more than one disc, I see little reason to believe Blu Ray is a necessity. Hell, I don't even believe GT5 couldn't fit on a DVD-9 unless it's actually true that GT4 was around 7 gigs (which I highly doubt).

With that last statement, it almost sounds like you're sayng there are no games on the Xbox 360 that are more than 30 hours long and are also on one disc.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 Blinblingthing

Bling, I'm not saying I have a problem with Blu-ray. I appreciate it. I like watching my movies on it. But you can't compare the gaming necessity of DVDs vs. Blu-ray to CDs.

There are some things, suffice it to say, that don't compress that well. *most* 360 and PS3 games are between 3GB and 7GBs. And by "most" I mean probably more than 90%.

All of those 90%+ of games would suffer from being on CD. In the context of this conversation, we have succeffully named 1 or 2 games (though I could name 4 or 5 more) that would suffer from being on DVD. But that's 5 games out of hundreds. I don't think it's possible to make the same argument with CD.

Dreams-Visions

I only mentioned CDs just to let people it isn't impossible to have a game fit on CD with alot of corners being cut etc.

All I am saying while Blu-ray isn't mandatory for putting games on, You can't go and tell me there aren't any perk in doing so when you look at the added capabilities.

Think of a Kia or a BMW

Sure you don't NEED a BMW to get to work. But are you really going to tell me there are some added goodies in that BMW

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Blinblingthing

I only mentioned CDs just to let people it isn't impossible to have a game fit on CD with alot of corners being cut etc.

All I am saying while Blu-ray isn't mandatory for putting games on, You can't go and tell me there aren't any perk in doing so when you look at the added capabilities.

Think of a Kia or a BMW

Sure you don't NEED a BMW to get to work. But are you really going to tell me there are some added goodies in that BMW

The debate we are having is about BR being -needed-. It is not needed. Sure you can do more with it, but it isn't needed.

dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#387 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts
I strongly disagree.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 Zero5000X
blu-ray is superior to DVD. therefore blu-ray is better to have than DVD. end-o-thread.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

The_Game21x

In this case, devs didn't have to cut content. They merely spread the content out over a couple of discs.

And these are just two games. To date, among the 100+ games available for the Xbox 360, these are the only ones that have required more than one disc. Again, seeing as the vast majority of games do not need more than one disc, I see little reason to believe Blu Ray is a necessity. Hell, I don't even believe GT5 couldn't fit on a DVD-9 unless it's actually true that GT4 was around 7 gigs (which I highly doubt).

With that last statement, it almost sounds like you're sayng there are no games on the Xbox 360 that are more than 30 hours long and are also on one disc.

I once place GT 4 in My PC and I remember so size to that nature

heck isn't the size of GT 5 prolouge 5 gb when installed

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Its simplely a luxary and isn't truely needed.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 The_Game21x

blu-ray is superior to DVD. therefore blu-ray is better to have than DVD. end-o-thread.Zero5000X

Blu-Ray may very well be better than DVD.

But that isn't the argument.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]blu-ray is superior to DVD. therefore blu-ray is better to have than DVD. end-o-thread.The_Game21x

People keep moving the goal posts man. It's nice to have. But "needed"...that's a claim that curent game evidence does not support.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]blu-ray is superior to DVD. therefore blu-ray is better to have than DVD. end-o-thread.Dreams-Visions

People keep moving the goal posts man. It's nice to have. But "needed"...that's a claim that curent game evidence does not support.

Well MGS4 takes up a whole 50GB of data, so that's one game that needs Blu-ray.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#395 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

next gen maybe

but for now we seem to be getting along fine with DVD9

bluray is not needed CURRENTLY

Memoryitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#396 Memoryitis
Member since 2006 • 2221 Posts
Its pretty obvious we will need blu ray or something else that hold more memory than the 10gb dvd because games require more memory for graphics, AI, physics, and all that other crap
caligamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 caligamer
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

Blinblingthing

Obviously Bluray is not needed right now since it just won the format war in the beginning of 2008 thats only 3months but it will be needed in 1-2 years when developers start making bigger games and learn how to use blu-ray better. 90% of the games can fit on DVD-9 because blu-ray just came out they didnt even have the option of putting it on blu-ray so give it a year and then talk.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 xsubtownerx
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]blu-ray is superior to DVD. therefore blu-ray is better to have than DVD. end-o-thread.dream431ca

Actually the devs were lazy and that's why it takes up that much. But I'll wait for the game to come out before I say anything bad. If the game is only 15-20 hours long, that 50gig will not be justified.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
[QUOTE="dream431ca"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]blu-ray is superior to DVD. therefore blu-ray is better to have than DVD. end-o-thread.xsubtownerx

Actually the devs were lazy and that's why it takes up that much. But I'll wait for the game to come out before I say anything bad. If the game is only 15-20 hours long, that 50gig will not be justified.

Lazy? So a developer makes a game that takes up 50Gigs and you call them lazy? :| If you have a decent surround sound system, you will get all the justification you'll need.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 xsubtownerx
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="dream431ca"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]blu-ray is superior to DVD. therefore blu-ray is better to have than DVD. end-o-thread.dream431ca

Lazy? So a developer makes a game that takes up 50Gigs and you call them lazy? :| If you have a decent surround sound system, you will get all the justification you'll need.

Nothing is compressed. Due to the fact that they didn't want to force an install. Surround sound to justify a 50 gig game? Wow. You can keep it.