Face it. Blu-Ray is NEEDED! ***edited with new dev comments***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dnadolny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#451 Dnadolny
Member since 2007 • 534 Posts
ARGHABIBBEL! Why do people say "Then why are some 360 games longer than PS3 games?"
Does every game have to take up 25-50 gb of space? Maybe the devs just want to relax and not make a 20 hour long game?
I'm done with this forum.
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#452 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts
yet here we sit and nothing that has come out or is coming out has shown bluray makes the experience better
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#453 SegArgyle

Bluray is high capacity, high quality, and it's great for gaming and movies. So why wouldn't it be needed and beneficial? MS didn't include HDMI until after the PS3 did. The PS3 is clearly built the right way for this gen of gaming. patriots7672

no we didn't need bluray this gen, next I'd say yes, this gen nah we didnt need it

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#454 SegArgyle

[QUOTE="patriots7672"]Bluray is high capacity, high quality, and it's great for gaming and movies. So why wouldn't it be needed and beneficial? MS didn't include HDMI until after the PS3 did. The PS3 is clearly built the right way for this gen of gaming. SegArgyle

no we didn't need bluray this gen, next I'd say yes, this gen nah we didnt need it

by then it may be too late anyways, cuz I see hd digital downloads being the next wave really

caligamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#456 caligamer
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts
[QUOTE="SegArgyle"]

[QUOTE="patriots7672"]Bluray is high capacity, high quality, and it's great for gaming and movies. So why wouldn't it be needed and beneficial? MS didn't include HDMI until after the PS3 did. The PS3 is clearly built the right way for this gen of gaming. SegArgyle

by then it may be too late anyways, cuz I see hd digital downloads being the next wave really

i dont think digital downloads are going to coming anytime soon, maybe in 5-10yrs because a lot ppl dont have fast internet or trust downloading things off websites

eternalxboxfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#458 eternalxboxfan
Member since 2006 • 369 Posts

OK, so its an absolute atrocity to have to switch to a second disc? Wow, what a hug deal. i mean, the 360s such a bad console now cause we might have to switch to a second disc later this gen. OMG, the 360s gonna lose now!

caligamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#459 caligamer
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

OK, so its an absolute atrocity to have to switch to a second disc? Wow, what a hug deal. i mean, the 360s such a bad console now cause we might have to switch to a second disc later this gen. OMG, the 360s gonna lose now!

eternalxboxfan

yep, it is going to lose8):o

Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts

Yeah, games like Lair and Uncharted are needed :roll:

Listen here, every time I buy a game, and third party game at that, I shouldnt have to wait 10 minutes to download it on the PS3 hardrive.

BlueRay is slow, very very slow.

We yet to find proof of a Blue-ray game that is exceptional.

Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#461 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts

eternalxboxfan

Would you rather switch DVDs every 20 hours or have to wait 15 minutes for the game to download on to your hard-drive.

Even when it is downloaded onto your hard-drive, you still have to deal with load times.

And again, Blue Ray is slow.

And to answer the topic, bluray is not needed, the proof is right there infront of your eyes.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#462 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts
[QUOTE="eternalxboxfan"]

Synthetic_NinJI

Would you rather switch DVDs every 20 hours or have to wait 15 minutes for the game to download on to your hard-drive.

Even when it is downloaded onto your hard-drive, you still have to deal with load times.

And again, Blue Ray is slow.

And to answer the topic, bluray is not needed, the proof is right there infront of your eyes.

You're missing hte point. Not every game can easily be put on multiple discs. And game compression is a time consuming process, cutting it out would be better for devs and better for people who play games because the development times owuld be decreased. As for slow drive speed, that's why having a blu-ray is better since, with all the excess space, developers can make redundant data on the disc meaning the data frequently accessed is placed at multiple points on the disc for quicker access.

And as for Crysis graphics, Crysis ran so well because it was jammed onto a DVD. It would not run directly from the DVD, it needs that massive install. Having more space on the disc would limit the amount of data that would be needed to be written to the HDD.

In addition, the PS3 is pegged to have a 10 year life cycle and, for that to happen, the system needs to be future-proofed. The cell, the replacable hard drives and the Blu-Ray drive are there to ensure that. Blu-Ray may not be necessary for all games at this current point in time, but I guarantee that it will very soon, but that won't matter because all your Xbox 360 fan boys are going to have moved on to the next iteration of the Xbox franchise which will magically run on DD which isn't even viable yet. So good luck to you, I'd rather stick with my futureproof console.