Eurogamer reports that Microsoft will unlock 10 percent more power for the XBO

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

This is some good news. and xboxiphoneps3 you have some crow to eat....

Xbox One reserves 10 per cent of graphics resources for Kinect and apps functionality, Digital Foundry can confirm, with Microsoft planning to open up this additional GPU power for game development in the future. This, and further graphics and performance-based information was revealed during our lengthy discussions with two of the architects behind the Xbox One silicon.

"Xbox One has a conservative 10 per cent time-sliced reservation on the GPU for system processing. This is used both for the GPGPU processing for Kinect and for the rendering of concurrent system content such as snap mode," Microsoft technical fellow Andrew Goossen told us.

"The current reservation provides strong isolation between the title and the system and simplifies game development - strong isolation means that the system workloads, which are variable, won't perturb the performance of the game rendering. In the future, we plan to open up more options to developers to access this GPU reservation time while maintaining full system functionality."

Once you get over the initial surprise that the background system takes up quite so much GPU time in the first place, the notion of being able to give developers access to this resource while not compromising functionality may sound rather like having your cake and eating it, but Microsoft points to particular aspects of the GPU hardware that make this scenario possible.

"In addition to asynchronous compute queues, the Xbox One hardware supports two concurrent render pipes," Goossen pointed out. "The two render pipes can allow the hardware to render title content at high priority while concurrently rendering system content at low priority. The GPU hardware scheduler is designed to maximise throughput and automatically fills 'holes' in the high-priority processing. This can allow the system rendering to make use of the ROPs for fill, for example, while the title is simultaneously doing synchronous compute operations on the compute units."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-microsoft-to-unlock-more-gpu-power-for-xbox-one-developers

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
More like bad news :lol: Xbone has just been confirmed to be 10% weaker than it was yesterday ..lol!
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
lol 10% was reserved for kinect :lol: from what i understand they will just try and reduce that, not add 10% ontop of whatevers currently available :lol:
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
[QUOTE="killzowned24"]More like bad news :lol: Xbone has just been confirmed to be 10% weaker than it was yesterday ..lol!

But but but teh epic launch lineup.. Ohnoez!
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 campzor
[QUOTE="killzowned24"]More like bad news :lol: Xbone has just been confirmed to be 10% weaker than it was yesterday ..lol!

:lol:
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campzor
thread backfires are the best.
Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

You're not very bright are you. This thread is seriously going to backfire. 

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja

OP, are you Double Agent Phil?

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

This is not some magic 10% more power than the system already has. It is just streamlining of resources and trying to get back up to 10% of the power that is currently allotted for other things.

Just saying this because you know some people will come in here claiming that the Xbone has some magic 10% more hidden power available. This power is already there, it is just being used by other processes currently.

Simply put....they are going to optimize the Xbone to try and get power back lost to other apps and processes.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="killzowned24"]More like bad news :lol: Xbone has just been confirmed to be 10% weaker than it was yesterday ..lol!

But but but teh epic launch lineup.. Ohnoez!

How does this affect the launch line up?
LA-Nighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LA-Nighthawk
Member since 2013 • 335 Posts

The 10% reservation has been known for a long time.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja

Still 1.2 Teras of flop?

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XBOunity

This is not some magic 10% more power than the system already has. It is just streamlining of resources and trying to get back up to 10% of the power that is currently allotted for other things.

Just saying this because you know some people will come in here claiming that the Xbone has some magic 10% more hidden power available. This power is already there, it is just being used by other processes currently.

Simply put....they are going to optimize the Xbone to try and get power back lost to other apps and processes.

danjammer69

yes we all knew this. thats why i put xboxiphoneps3 in the OP. he knows we have talked about this and he knows why he is going to eat crow. I guess all these cows arent up to date. lol :roll:

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja

[QUOTE="danjammer69"]

XBOunity

yes we all knew this. thats why i put xboxiphoneps3 in the OP. he knows we have talked about this and he knows why he is going to eat crow. I guess all these cows arent up to date. lol :roll:

Don't worry, I am sure Ronvalencia will come save you lol
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="danjammer69"]

Shewgenja

Don't worry, I am sure Ronvalencia will come save you lol

snap mode without reservation??? thank you Microsoft.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XBOunity

Still 1.2 Teras of flop?

Shewgenja

edit again, 1.31 now :lol: still upset about 14:4 and the unbalance of the ps4.... neogaf is crying right now.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
If graphics were so important, I wouldn't be buying either console. Thank god, for me they're not, and I will own both. I guess this is good news. I don't really care all that much as the games I've seen look great to me.
Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sagemode87

[QUOTE="danjammer69"]

XBOunity

Sure you knew

US_Navy_090716-N-8590G-008_Members_of_th

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Still 1.2 Teras of flop?

XBOunity

edit again, 1.31 now :lol: still upset about 14:4 and the unbalance of the ps4.... neogaf is crying right now.

You.. don't GAIN compute operations from hardware without an upclock. Nice try, sparky.  You can also subtract that 10% until whatever time MS decides to give it back to devs.  Meaning, your precious launch just got crapped on.

Again.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XBOunity

If graphics were so important, I wouldn't be buying either console. Thank god, for me they're not, and I will own both. I guess this is good news. I don't really care all that much as the games I've seen look great to me.cainetao11

its better than nothing. I had told xboxiphoneps3 to wait. i always thought 10 percent was way too much for reservation.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 campzor

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="danjammer69"]

Sagemode87

US_Navy_090716-N-8590G-008_Members_of_th

:lol:

its funny coz its true.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Still 1.2 Teras of flop?

Shewgenja

You.. don't GAIN compute operations from hardware without an upclock. Nice try, sparky.

1.31 is the spec sparky. sorry about the 14:4 buddy, i know it hurts, neogaf am cry lol

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

MonsterBoxOne with 10% mooaar SecretSauce confirmed. :P

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XBOunity

cows :roll: almost as bad as sonygaf right now. 8 cows to the defense ..... dat snap mode...

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XBOunity

MonsterBoxOne with 10% mooaar SecretSauce confirmed. :P

SecretPolice

its very good news. dat 1.31 with fully functional snap mode??? nice, that means Sony can have snap mode too if they only had the engineers ...

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sagemode87

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="XBOunity"]

XBOunity

You.. don't GAIN compute operations from hardware without an upclock. Nice try, sparky.

1.31 is the spec sparky. sorry about the 14:4 buddy, i know it hurts, neogaf am cry lol

You're an idiot, you do know the +4 is usable at anytime right? 

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shewgenja

XBOunity

I love this mention of 14:4. As if you're going to be able to maintain a stable framerate by not taking away from rasterizing CUs on the XBone trying to pull off similar effects in a game. Spoiler alert: either your graphics will be compromised or your framerate will eat a bag of dicks due to these calculations being sent to the CPU. Also, XBone does not have hUMA, which means you eat even more cycles moving assets from VMem to main mem to be calculated against. You fail so utterly hard when you mention this, you might as well start a sock puppet account now. You're about to be taken to school.
Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts
[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"] You.. don't GAIN compute operations from hardware without an upclock. Nice try, sparky.Shewgenja

I love this mention of 14:4. As if you're going to be able to maintain a stable framerate by not taking away from rasterizing CUs on the XBone trying to pull off similar effects in a game. Spoiler alert: either your graphics will be compromised or your framerate will eat a bag of dicks due to these calculations being sent to the CPU. Also, XBone does not have hUMA, which means you eat even more cycles moving assets from VMem to main mem to be calculated against. You fail so utterly hard when you mention this, you might as well start a sock puppet account now. You're about to be taken to school.

14:4
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"] You.. don't GAIN compute operations from hardware without an upclock. Nice try, sparky.Sagemode87

You're an idiot, you do know the +4 is usable at anytime right?

ahahahaha just like neogaf. yep i do, but rendering becomes as useless as your posts after 14. it still hurts i know, just look at the cows. if you want to discuss that please open the other thread. i made my case and it looks like i was right... but but 18 cu's for unlimited taps graphical power no more. if only ps4 dedicated processor could offload cpu functions like dat shape. guess you will be using a cu in gpgpu in the 14:4 model. dem tflops dwindling for dat unbalanced ps4. the games prove it... Ryse is king. now stay on topic please

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shewgenja

Evo_nine

Come to think of it, there is a third option. Developers could just scale back their heavy compute operations and give you the gimp version, too. No compromise to graphics that way.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
That's not exactly true is it? Engineers have tried to clever out a way of giving developers options to prioritize where chunks of this reservation goes at any given time. There is always some amount of resources that'll go to system necessities. It'll always be in at least low-priority mode or whatever. I have no idea how this will actually work or what impact it'll have as I'm not a doctor.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XBOunity

Evo_nine

damage control just like neogaf. 14:4 will be the industry standard. he cant even get xbo tflops right 1.31. dat ownage 1.31 for shew. and 1.1 for xboxiphoneps3 :lol: where is that guy....

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

...this is good and bad news.

The good news is that they will mostly free up that 10% in time.

The bad news is that this confirms the 10% reservation was true. The TFLOP after the XBO upclock was 1.31TF, but that was excluding the 10% reservation. That means at launch, the XBO only has  1.179 TFLOPS available to games, with the best case scenario down the line being being the original 1.31TF figure. 

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XBOunity

That's not exactly true is it? Engineers have tried to clever out a way of giving developers options to prioritize where chunks of this reservation goes at any given time. There is always some amount of resources that'll go to system necessities. It'll always be in at least low-priority mode or whatever. I have no idea how this will actually work or what impact it'll have as I'm not a doctor.McStrongfast

microsoft is the best of the best. the article details how they will do it. im sure some reservation is needed, maybe 1 percent? i dont know, heck no 10 percent tho. dat 1.1 is no longer true.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shewgenja

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"] I love this mention of 14:4. As if you're going to be able to maintain a stable framerate by not taking away from rasterizing CUs on the XBone trying to pull off similar effects in a game. Spoiler alert: either your graphics will be compromised or your framerate will eat a bag of dicks due to these calculations being sent to the CPU. Also, XBone does not have hUMA, which means you eat even more cycles moving assets from VMem to main mem to be calculated against. You fail so utterly hard when you mention this, you might as well start a sock puppet account now. You're about to be taken to school.XBOunity

damage control just like neogaf. 14:4 will be the industry standard. he cant even get xbo tflops right 1.31. dat ownage 1.31 for shew. and 1.1 for xboxiphoneps3 :lol: where is that guy....

Says the guy ignoring his own OP stating that 10% of that figure is reserved for Kinect... Exactly how stupid are you, really? You work for Sony. You have to. No one can not purposefully post in here consistently making Lemmings look bad for any other reason.
Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"] I love this mention of 14:4. As if you're going to be able to maintain a stable framerate by not taking away from rasterizing CUs on the XBone trying to pull off similar effects in a game. Spoiler alert: either your graphics will be compromised or your framerate will eat a bag of dicks due to these calculations being sent to the CPU. Also, XBone does not have hUMA, which means you eat even more cycles moving assets from VMem to main mem to be calculated against. You fail so utterly hard when you mention this, you might as well start a sock puppet account now. You're about to be taken to school.XBOunity

Don't worry bout them. All the reviews so far suggest xbox one is leading in the visuals department, that's all that matters at this point in time. Cows keep falling for the same buzzwords every gen eg emtion, teh cell etc etc
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XBOunity

The bad news is that this confirms the 10% reservation was true. The TFLOP after the XBO upclock was 1.31TF, but that was excluding the 10% reservation. That means at launch, the XBO only has 1.179 TFLOPS available to games, with the best case scenario down the line being being the original 1.31TF figure.

BigBoss154

agreed which xboxiphoneps3 was right. but the fact that its still going to be 1.31 or around there for devs with all the functionality is awesome awesome news. maybe cows can hold out for snap, but i doubt they will be able to do something like that with the architecture they have in place. the 3 O/S for microsoft will allow them to do some really cool things over the course of time.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 campzor

The bad news is that this confirms the 10% reservation was true. The TFLOP after the XBO upclock was 1.31TF, but that was excluding the 10% reservation. That means at launch, the XBO only has  1.179 TFLOPS available to games, with the best case scenario down the line being being the original 1.31TF figure. 

BigBoss154
what do TFLOPs do?
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"] 14:4Evo_nine

Don't worry bout them. All the reviews so far suggest xbox one is leading in the visuals department, that's all that matters at this point in time. Cows keep falling for the same buzzwords every gen eg emtion, teh cell etc etc

what like shew tormentos and others have said? dat 8 gigs of GDDR3 dat 18 cu's for rendering, DAT NO CPU CORES FOR RESERVATION for OS all broken down and burned??? yes they are delusional. They dont even know the tech. Lems are definitely the more grounded bunch. Ryse Better than any PS4 graphics. Games its not even debatable, launch stinks of high heaven for Ps4, whereas AAAE forza and others will prove out. anyway on topic, this is great news. 1.31 for devs with all dat functionality. snap this!!!

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"] 14:4Shewgenja

Says the guy ignoring his own OP stating that 10% of that figure is reserved for Kinect... Exactly how stupid are you, really? You work for Sony. You have to. No one can not purposefully post in here consistently making Lemmings look bad for any other reason.

ok 1.2 man lol

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Still 1.2 Teras of flop?

XBOunity

Saying something over and over doesn't make it true.  You can stop now.

And holy crap, 10% for Kinect and apps!??  To hell with that.  They should have used a much better GPU if they were going to use at least 10% on non gaming.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

What is this, Dragonball Z? Will the Xbox 1 also drop all of it's weighted gear to unlock more power?

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Still 1.2 Teras of flop?

Chutebox

Saying something over and over doesn't make it true. You can stop now.

And holy crap, 10% for Kinect and apps!?? To hell with that. They should have used a much better GPU if they were going to use at least 10% on non gaming.

dismissing microsoft can only take you so far.. yes we all knew this http://kotaku.com/the-five-possible-states-of-xbox-one-games-are-strangel-509597078 may 23rd.. I guess you cows arent up on XBO tech as you should be. Xboxiphoneps3 was ill give him that, but i told him he should wait and cannot tout the 1.1 number, in which the epicness started. anyway, thanks for posting on topic =D

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss154"]

campzor

what do TFLOPs do?

Just think of it as a measure of a computer's performance. Bigger is better. Of course they don't tell the whole story, though.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"] Don't worry bout them. All the reviews so far suggest xbox one is leading in the visuals department, that's all that matters at this point in time. Cows keep falling for the same buzzwords every gen eg emtion, teh cell etc etc Shewgenja

what like shew tormentos and others have said? dat 8 gigs of GDDR3 dat 18 cu's for rendering, DAT NO CPU CORES FOR RESERVATION for OS all broken down and burned??? yes they are delusional. They dont even know the tech. Lems are definitely the more grounded bunch. Ryse Better than any PS4 graphics. Games its not even debatable, launch stinks of high heaven for Ps4, whereas AAAE forza and others will prove out. anyway on topic, this is great news. 1.31 for devs with all dat functionality. snap this!!!

First of all. Screw you for putting words in my mouth. I've always known CPU cores would be set aside for OS operations. Games always run on top of the OS, even in the PS3 and 360. Second of all, you have no frame of reference for what I'm talking about when I mention memory management. Especially in the light of the fact your stupid "new" finding was from 2012. You're making what I said into something it is not. Die in a fire.

we know 1.2 for the xbox right?? try harder, and stop being mad. and did you just tell me to die? wow. :roll: Cows SMH... the worst faction.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 campzor

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Still 1.2 Teras of flop?

Chutebox

Saying something over and over doesn't make it true.  You can stop now.

And holy crap, 10% for Kinect and apps!??  To hell with that.  They should have used a much better GPU if they were going to use at least 10% on non gaming.

waving ur hands like an idiot and ordering pizza whilst shaking ur a$$ is the future. we NEED that 10% brah!
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
lol at the Sony fanboys in damage control mode. I understand though since the only thing the PS4 does better is slightly better in hardware while the games, features, cloud servers and online are better for the Xbox One. The PS4 keeps losing its only advantage while the Xbox One still holds their advantages strong.
Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sagemode87

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"][QUOTE="XBOunity"]

XBOunity

Didn't the last 2 Forza games get AA here? 

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shewgenja

XBOunity

First of all. Screw you for putting words in my mouth. I've always known CPU cores would be set aside for OS operations. Games always run on top of the OS, even in the PS3 and 360. Second of all, you have no frame of reference for what I'm talking about when I mention memory management. Especially in the light of the fact your stupid "new" finding was from 2012. You're making what I said into something it is not. Die in a fire.

we know 1.2 for the xbox right?? try harder, and stop being mad. and did you just tell me to die? wow

Until this calculation unit gets freed up, yes, you are at 1.2. What is so hard to understand about this? You're the one who posted the article.