EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no 2ndHand games, 50GB Bluray and new kinect

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

No used games is great news for the industry, happy day.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
These rumours are getting soooo boring
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#103 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] So what about games that are 4-5+ years old and are not sold new anymore?clyde46

Well I guess we shall be stuck with that. Maybe they should have an online pass system the entire gen instead.

Well, you will be priced gouged by being forced to buy these HD remixes.

or that :| . I think the Online Pass system is the best of both Worlds though.

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

I can't see the always online thing being true, not in the slightest. It'd be absolute suicide and I'm sure MS knows that.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#105 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

The lems have been owned

gaf link

[quote=""]

Sonys next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the companys PlayStation event on February 20.campzor

This is a very intriguing segment.

That there is a possibility Sony might expand upon the original PS Eye camera. Would be funny as sh*t if they catually did, just to have Lemmos claim its a rip-off. :lol::P

OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

yeah, I saw the irony. :P

CanYouDiglt

A lot of the PS4 rumours came from Edge :?

majority of cows, hate Edge, think they are hugely biased towards MS and a waste of everyones time.....

Well one could use the logic: If EDGE presents a negative story about MS without a positive spin, it pretty much has to be true.
svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#107 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

If these rumors are true I am for sure not getting an Xbox 720. Not that I was really planning on getting one anyway, though I cant say Im surprised MS works to tighten it's grip on what people buy.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#108 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@Clyde

Did your stance really just change on used games?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

The lems have been owned

gaf link

[quote=""]Microsofts next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsofts next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsofts next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xboxs recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the consoles hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsofts extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sonys solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsofts next console is more oppressive than Sonys equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sonys next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the companys PlayStation event on February 20.campzor

Rufles!! Hey MS!!!  keep your console. :lol:

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Clyde

Did your stance really just change on used games?

nintendoboy16
I left used games when I jumped to PC, given the fact that brick and morter stores charge an arm and a leg for them. To be honest, what worries me more is that removal of being able to lend games to friends. I still have my 360 and on occasion my friend lets me borrow his games.
OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]Always online - well, my Xbox 360 is always signed in as soon as I power it on and hit A. No 2nd Hand - well, then, buy games new or when they drop in price. 50GB Blu-Ray - well, now they can do what Sony does and put multiple copies of game content on the disk to save seek times. New Kinect - well, anyone who enjoys Kinect will be happy to get one that's "new and improved" The only problem is that until the system releases, none of this is true, and none of it matters. It's better to wait and see than to spread rumors.

One cannot simply defend always online.

It must be a mistake, they must clearly mean the console OS is designed to take advantage of being online, with quick switching between ie. cloud services. Sony's anti second hand games patent doesn't require for the console to be online, it simply stores the console's serial number into an RFID tag in the game-disc.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Thanks God for PC, the land of freedom where no DRM will ever prosper because PC hackers will crack it in a few hours.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 clyde46

Thanks God for PC, the land of freedom where no DRM will ever prosper because PC hackers will crack it in a few hours.

jhonMalcovich
Thats a double edged sword.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#114 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I can't contain myself lol

I repeat: Always online is the MOST STUPID IDEA EVER! Not everyone has a reliable internet connection :evil:

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
cows now listening to Edge?sts106mat
They fans of xbox so they know the best about it :p
naruske101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#116 naruske101
Member since 2007 • 1062 Posts

no used games is stupid what if you want to borrow games froma friend, which me and my friends constantly do, paying 60$ for anew release is expensive, bad move microsoft. As well always online is stupid some people don't have access to internet at all times

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
THis has to be a forced leak to get reactions from the public. It could be true, but with enough negative press I could see it changing.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Microsoft whatever you do don't you ever fvck up DirectX. And yeah it's about time we should have DirectX 12.

zeeshanhaider

The entire Direct3D stack needs to be replaced.

HSA-OCL-v1.21-graphic-e1341960719282.png

http://blogs.amd.com/developer/2012/07/10/hsa-%E2%80%93-a-boon-for-opencl%E2%84%A2-and-heterogeneous-compute-in-general/

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Online only makes sense for the subsidised box (if any of these stupid rumours are true) because it would need it to function. It would be like trying to use Sky without having it connected to a Sky dish. Pointless.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 clyde46
Online only makes sense for the subsidised box (if any of these stupid rumours are true) because it would need it to function. It would be like trying to use Sky without having it connected to a Sky dish. Pointless. RR360DD
You don't need a SKY dish anymore. All you need is a internet connection.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

I repeat: Always online is the MOST STUPID IDEA EVER! Not everyone has an internet connection :evil:

PAL360

fixed.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ShadowriverUB

I repeat: Always online is the MOST STUPID IDEA EVER! Not everyone has a reliable internet connection :evil:

PAL360
Well i suspect the reason why they doing it is DRM that requires online veryfication, such process does not require fast connectionand i dont think MS is creazy enoth to make developers to make single player online, not all developers will want to do so specially for xbox
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Well looks like I'm skipping out on the nextbox. Next gen is looking considerably cheaper when there is no incentive for me to purchase any of the consoles near release.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 jhonMalcovich

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

clyde46

You mean PC piracy. I am against it, but I recognize it´s pretty useful resource to fight the corporate greed. It allows to put dishonest corporations on the treck of what consumer wants. And looking now at M$, I just realized no company should lead gaming. I mean look at consolites, they are very faithful to their platforms, almost don´t pirate. Did that save them from anti-piracy measures even  more fierceful than on PC, no. This is how M$ paid them for their loyalty.  

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#125 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

I say its more to do with piracy, wasn't the Xbox 360 easy to pirate games on

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

People shouldn't be so quick to laugh, the PS4 could easily turn out the same judging by Sony's need to keep costs low 

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

If true this is a deal breaker for me and I'm someone who would have likely bought the next Xbox day one and who actually enjoys kinect. I like having the option to download games on games on demand but I also like the option to be able to buy a physical copy if i'm not entirely sure I will want to keep the game. Most games I do keep, it's only the ones I really don't like I want to sell.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

jhonMalcovich

You mean PC piracy. I am against it, but I recognize it´s pretty useful resource to fight the corporate greed. And looking now at M$, I just realized no company should lead gaming. I mean look at consolites, they are very faithful to their platforms, almost don´t pirate. Did that save them from anti-piracy measures even  more fierceful than on PC, no. This is how M$ payed them for their loyalty.  

What I mean is, piracy can have two effects. It could have the effect that got Ubisoft to remove its online DRM or it can have the negative effect of developers running from the PC like Epic.
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

How are the Lems "owned" by this? Sony is going to have a similar feature to disable used games.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 clyde46

How are the Lems "owned" by this? Sony is going to have a similar feature to disable used games.

StormyJoe
Both are bad, but the online DRM is worse.
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 StormyJoe

If true this is a deal breaker for me and I'm someone who would have likely bought the next Xbox day one and who actually enjoys kinect. I like having the option to download games on games on demand but I also like the option to be able to buy a physical copy if i'm not entirely sure I will want to keep the game. Most games I do keep, it's only the ones I really don't like I want to sell.

Strakha

But... Sony is going to do the same thing.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

StormyJoe
Disabling used games is like a finger nail compared to the problems of always online.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

clyde46

It's inevitable really. Consolites seem to ignore the damage used games does and also ignore that pirating happens on their systems too. Not just PC

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#134 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

People shouldn't be so quick to laugh, the PS4 could easily turn out the same judging by Sony's need to keep costs low 

seanmcloughlin

Wii U and PC will be the way to go!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#135 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Another reason why these next gen. consoles are far too premature. MS looks to be really dropping the ball on this.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Impossible i am a die hard cow and i justo can't believe this MS is no this stupid.. I think is false.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

seanmcloughlin

It's inevitable really. Consolites seem to ignore the damage used games does and also ignore that pirating happens on their systems too. Not just PC

Publishers actually view used games in the say way as piracy.
YoYo278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 YoYo278
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts

The biggest reason for piracey this gen was China, who banned the 360 almost immediately.

This meant that official games were insanely expensive to purchase, and fuelled a lucratie piracy market that eventually spread to the west.

Here in Slovenia we also have a problem with localisation (though everyone under 30 speaks fluent english), I'd say 70%+ of games my friends own are pirated. This kinda antip-piracy measure won't do anything unless M$ fix problems with how they supply the global market.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#139 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts
Am I the only one that believes that there's a real possibility this is going to happen? It strikes me that many reactions in here seem to stem from wishful thinking. This rumor's been around for a while now from numerous sources. Patents have been established for anti-used tech, and looking at the past and continual loss of our rights over time in how we are allowed to use software, I really don't find this all that far-fetched. Where there's smoke there's fire and if I were going to bet I'd put money on this coming to pass, at least for one of the two consoles.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 ShadowriverUB

seanmcloughlin
Well Sony protections was the strongest of this gen,even thru they been hacked after 5 years, hackers still struggle with it
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 jhonMalcovich

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Thats a double edged sword. clyde46

You mean PC piracy. I am against it, but I recognize it´s pretty useful resource to fight the corporate greed. And looking now at M$, I just realized no company should lead gaming. I mean look at consolites, they are very faithful to their platforms, almost don´t pirate. Did that save them from anti-piracy measures even  more fierceful than on PC, no. This is how M$ payed them for their loyalty.  

What I mean is, piracy can have two effects. It could have the effect that got Ubisoft to remove its online DRM or it can have the negative effect of developers running from the PC like Epic.

And exponentially growing digital distribution will make them run back. Many third-party developers like CD Project realized already that piracy =/= lost sales. A developper can live with piracy providing a fair price for the content they provide, hence increasing fans loyalty. 

CD Project will sell more copies of W3 next gen becuase they showed their trust towards PC Gamers, and pc gamers will pay them with same coin.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

[QUOTE="Strakha"]

StormyJoe

But... Sony is going to do the same thing.

Then I support whoever doesn't do this. I know there are a number of games I own on my PC you can just install and play or could re-sell if I wished to do so. Most are from small developer who need more support and funds anyway. So if the likes of EA and the big developers want to do this, too bad so sad they won't be seeing any of my cash anymore.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#143 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

If these rumors are true, then it's goodbye Microsoft. I'm not feeling the always online thing.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 clyde46

jhonMalcovich

And exponentially growing digital distribution will make them run back. Many third-party developers like CD Project realized already that piracy =/= lost sales. A developper can live with piracy providing a fair price for their games adn generating fan loyalty. 

CD Project will sell more copies of W3 next gen becuase they showed their trust towards PC Gamers, and pc gamers will pay them with same coin.

Gabe has been quoted. "The way to beat piracy, is to provide a better service". That is why Steam does so well. Many people I know use piracy as a means of testing a game to see if they enjoy it. The reason for this, the lack of PC demo's. The latest DMC game had a console demo, yet the PC version did not. To me, I don't know how well DMC will run on my PC as there is no demo to try it and I'm not looking to forward to dropping £30 on a game that might run like crap.
HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

ShadowriverUB

Well Sony protections was the strongest of this gen,even thru they been hacked after 5 years, hackers still struggle with it

That's because they never really had a skilled / dedicated hacker on it. When the nextbox blu ray drive is hacked by the c4eva guy I would expect he will also take the PS4 drive down too while he's at it..

This drm online stuff might be the only way for MS / Sony to prevent piracy.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#146 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

I repeat: Always online is the MOST STUPID IDEA EVER! Not everyone has an internet connection :evil:

campzor

fixed.

Indeed. I understand the no 2nd hand games (it would be good for the industry, after all), and the Kinect (as a complement, obviously), but the always online couldn't be more stupid.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 StormyJoe

You mean PC piracy. I am against it, but I recognize it´s pretty useful resource to fight the corporate greed. And looking now at M$, I just realized no company should lead gaming. I mean look at consolites, they are very faithful to their platforms, almost don´t pirate. Did that save them from anti-piracy measures even more fierceful than on PC, no. This is how M$ payed them for their loyalty.

jhonMalcovich

And exponentially growing digital distribution will make them run back. Many third-party developers like CD Project realized already that piracy =/= lost sales. A developper can live with piracy providing a fair price for the content they provide, hence increasing fans loyalty.

LOL. You think studios don't care about piracy? Are you insane?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] What I mean is, piracy can have two effects. It could have the effect that got Ubisoft to remove its online DRM or it can have the negative effect of developers running from the PC like Epic. clyde46

And exponentially growing digital distribution will make them run back. Many third-party developers like CD Project realized already that piracy =/= lost sales. A developper can live with piracy providing a fair price for their games adn generating fan loyalty.

Gabe has been quoted. "The way to beat piracy, is to provide a better service". That is why Steam does so well. Many people I know use piracy as a means of testing a game to see if they enjoy it. The reason for this, the lack of PC demo's. The latest DMC game had a console demo, yet the PC version did not. To me, I don't know how well DMC will run on my PC as there is no demo to try it and I'm not looking to forward to dropping £30 on a game that might run like crap.

Then, you should become a console gamer and alleviate that burden.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Always online seems far fetched. Not everyone has internet, so those people get left out? I dont think so.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 jhonMalcovich

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] What I mean is, piracy can have two effects. It could have the effect that got Ubisoft to remove its online DRM or it can have the negative effect of developers running from the PC like Epic. clyde46

Exactly, another example, Minecraft, despite the fact of being a DRM-free game, it didn´t stopped him from surpassing 7M copies sold on PC.

And the Minecraft creator Notch himself told this

zzzzz_1326396103.jpg

In the end, PC piracy didn´t stop him from getting filthy rich with the PC version, 7M+ copies sold.