EA Access Subscription Service Announced for Xbox One

#1 Posted by Blabadon (26151 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/29/ea-announces-subscription-service-on-xbox-one-ea-access

Today, EA revealed EA Access, an Xbox One-exclusive subscription service that grants players access to EA's so-called Vault.

Subscribing to EA Access will cost $4.99 a month (or $30 a year), and since the program is technically in beta, only four games will initially be available: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4, "with more titles being added soon."

Additionally, EA Access will also net subscribers 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content, which includes full games and DLC, as well as access to trials of new EA games nearly a week before they come out (with saves that copy over to the final game, should you choose to purchase it later).

I'm interested. That's a decent price for the amount of potential games. PLUS Peggle 2. Fuck yeah.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (26151 posts) -

Also as usual the PS4 gets nothing because the PS4 is a shitty console with no games.

#3 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4738 posts) -
@Blabadon said:

Also as usual the PS4 gets nothing because the PS4 is a shitty console with no games.

Well fuck me sidewayz u doin' it again -_-

Sigh... what a world.

#4 Edited by BldgIrsh (2208 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Ehh... no one likes subscription based... so, I wouldn't be happy that the xbone has this option...

#5 Posted by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

Interesting idea... but EA?

I mean I probably don't spend enough on EA games these days to justify it, let alone a limited list only. If it were say Ubisoft I would be a lot more interested.

#6 Edited by Daious (1251 posts) -

Subscription service that doesn't even include full DLC? Currently paying for BETA that EA normally does for free? What?

Its not even like the BETA are glitch free.

#7 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4628 posts) -

LMAO renting EA games on a gimped cable box

I'd rather eat my own toes.

#8 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7324 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

#9 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1961 posts) -
@Blabadon said:

Oh, you went there. yeah ok. Anyway, could be good, but it's EA. Wait and see.

#10 Posted by clyde46 (46024 posts) -

Hang on, pay £40 a year for XBL and then pay another £5 a month for an EA sub? Fuck that.

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (8311 posts) -

EA manages an amazing new low.

#12 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10188 posts) -

Ehh not for me

#13 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4231 posts) -

Not sure what to make of this. Is it a good thing or just more subscriptions on top of subscriptions. Someone else wanting a piece of the milking console gamers pie.

#14 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4628 posts) -

Dat unprecedented partnership

#16 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

Lol subscription based gaming. Double lol at getting excited over ea games.

#17 Edited by Zelda187 (758 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

LOL

Yeah, because paying $5 a month to play Madden and FIFA is such an amazing service.

#18 Posted by Alcapello (889 posts) -

Look like it serving to weaken the already weak xbox infrastructure for others.

#19 Posted by yokofox33 (29522 posts) -

EA? No thanks.Only EA games I get are the Bioware titles.

#20 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4628 posts) -

Subscription games services makes sense for disposable shit like Madden, FIFA, Battlefield and Peggle. Anything else? Nah.

#21 Edited by FastRobby (1475 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@Blabadon said:

Ehh... no one likes subscription based... so, I wouldn't be happy that the xbone has this option...

Yeah that's why Netflix is doing so bad...

What a great service, only 30 dollars a year to play games from their "Vault", not sure how it works though. Will the games change every month or so?

#22 Posted by Animal-Mother (26772 posts) -

So it's PSNow for Xbox one provided by EA...

Wut?

#23 Posted by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

Color me intrigued. I am going to at least try it.

#24 Posted by BldgIrsh (2208 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@Blabadon said:

What a great service, only 30 dollars a year to play games from their "Vault", not sure how it works though. Will the games change every month or so?

God, being excited about paying for online accessibility than on top of that paying to rent EA games. You guys are getting milked hardcore...

#25 Posted by Wasdie (49750 posts) -

That's an interesting idea. The price is a lot lower than I would expect for such a service. There has to be a big catch to it all.

#26 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4231 posts) -
@ladyblue said:

Lol subscription based gaming.

But isn't PSN+ and PS Now a similar service? Not saying you automatically agree to those, but this doesn't seem new to me, just EA jumping on the bandwagon.

#27 Posted by ZombeGoast (418 posts) -

That's adding $5 to the already XBL subscription fee.

#28 Posted by FastRobby (1475 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@FastRobby said:

@bldgirsh said:

@Blabadon said:

God, being excited about paying for online accessibility than on top of that paying to rent EA games. You guys are getting milked hardcore...

What is your opinion about PS Now then?

Because I don't have a problem with subscription based if I'm getting my money's worth, and also no problem with paying for Xbox Live, because I get much more in return for that petty cash

#29 Posted by Alcapello (889 posts) -
@ladyblue said:

But isn't PSN+ and PS Now a similar service? Not saying you automatically agree to those, but this doesn't seem new to me, just EA jumping on the bandwagon.

I don't think 1st party and 3rd parties equate to the same thing.

#30 Posted by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

I will love being able to get a trial of new games 5 days early. And if I want to buy, I get %10 off and all of my progress from the trial carries over. Not to mention that if you decided to skip some titles, they will eventually be added to the Vault later as well. This is a great deal.

#31 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27545 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

@Blabadon said:

LOL

Yeah, because paying $5 a month to play Madden and FIFA is such an amazing service.

Better than PS+ games for the PS4 atm (dammit sony gimme something good already!)

However, if anyone fancies getting this service from EA please give me email your credit card numbers and SSN along with your birthday and address so I can send you something awesome! (Please not that the something is currently in beta and cannot be guaranteed)

#32 Edited by BldgIrsh (2208 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@bldgirsh said:

@FastRobby said:

@bldgirsh said:

Because I don't have a problem with subscription based if I'm getting my money's worth, and also no problem with paying for Xbox Live, because I get much more in return for that petty cash

PS Now, where you get "free" games according to everyone else and that it justifies for paying for online. Is there no way to opt out of such service and access online for free? It's also another way to milk gamers.

Edit: This is for PS+. My response for PS Now is further down. Anyways same conclusion, the milking is strong.

#33 Edited by lostrib (35875 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@FastRobby said:

@bldgirsh said:

@FastRobby said:

@bldgirsh said:

PS Now, where you get "free" games according to everyone else and that it justifies for paying for online. Is there no way to opt out of such service and access online for free? It's also another way to milk gamers.

...that' not PS Now.

PS Now is sony's streaming service

#34 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27545 posts) -

If you have a PS3 its awesome, if you have a PS4 its sucky nuts.

I don't mind paying for XBL/PS+ but what exactly is XBL giving you thats more in return that petty cash, I don't get it ....

#35 Posted by BldgIrsh (2208 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bldgirsh said:

@FastRobby said:

@bldgirsh said:

...that' not PS Now.

PS Now is sony's streaming service

Ahh, dear me. Well backward compatibility is just a word I guess. Why have it when you can re-sell games.

#36 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4231 posts) -
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@ladyblue said:

I don't think 1st party and 3rd parties equate to the same thing.

I know, but it seems more are headed, or what to head in this direction.

#37 Edited by wolverine4262 (19237 posts) -

Hey, we heard you like subscriptions. So, we put a subscription in your subscription....

#38 Posted by lglz1337 (3421 posts) -

lmao give me your money, 2 of the worst working together how cute.. LOL

#39 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29190 posts) -

Eh interesting idea but with only EA games it's not worth it

#40 Posted by Netret0120 (2085 posts) -

Lol EA

and what a ripoff of a service. Enjoy it any xbox owner who is silly enough to buy it.

#41 Posted by cainetao11 (17344 posts) -

Everyone saying $5 per month, but OP states or $30 a year. Thats $2.50 per month. I know I buy at least one EA published game a year and this would be half the price. I am by no means sold on the idea yet, but I try to remain open minded to things.

#42 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

Sounds interesting. I would jump on it if I don't already have FIFA14 and BF4. I might just sign up anyway for the discount and early demo access.

#43 Posted by Bishop1310 (1054 posts) -

this is actually a pretty solid offer. When I first saw it I thought "wow more EA bs".. but I'll be getting this.

would have been cool to have the option on my ps4 as well, i'd like to have a reason to play that system right now. I'm more then happy to have it on the X1 though.

#44 Edited by TheEroica (13406 posts) -

I like the idea, hope it doesn't get botched in execition.

Oh and to the folks saying subscription models suck... Um it's 30 dollars a year. You do realize this correct?

#45 Posted by TheEroica (13406 posts) -

@Netret0120: guarantee the second the service is on playstation you're first in line...

#46 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

So $30 bucks a year gives me full access to 4 games at beta and many more (EA words) at launch. That's a great fucking deal. Its Netflix for games and at that price, I'm in. Older games for sure, but if they number around 10 for $30 a year its a great deal. This would make me go all digital.

#47 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16456 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

And Xbox gets a subscription on top of a subscription

Nice !

#48 Posted by kuu2 (7123 posts) -

Just another way to take the heat off EA for putting out sub standard products.

#49 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16456 posts) -

I like the idea, hope it doesn't get botched in execition.

Oh and to the folks saying subscription models suck... Um it's 30 dollars a year. You do realize this correct?

Subscription models suck (at least they do for me) I like to keep my games so:

Paying more and getting to keep games > paying less and not getting to keep games

#50 Posted by Zelda187 (758 posts) -

Everyone saying $5 per month, but OP states or $30 a year. Thats $2.50 per month. I know I buy at least one EA published game a year and this would be half the price. I am by no means sold on the idea yet, but I try to remain open minded to things.

EA's servers are notoriously shitty.

I have no interest in paying $5 a month for a service that is going to routinely kick me off line whenever I'm in the middle of playing a game.