Dual shock vs Xbox Controller: The Verdict

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

If I want to play fighters I'd use a fighting stick. Since I don't play fighters, the 360 gamepad is better than the DS3 for everything.

heretrix
This. The only thing a d-pad is good for is fighting games and if I'm playing a fighting game I'm going to be using an arcade stick so 360 all the motherf^cking way. Dualshock isn't terrible but switching between the two controllers I really notice a huge difference in quality.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

If I want to play fighters I'd use a fighting stick. Since I don't play fighters, the 360 gamepad is better than the DS3 for everything.

Frostbite24

This. The only thing a d-pad is good for is fighting games and if I'm playing a fighting game I'm going to be using an arcade stick so 360 all the motherf^cking way. Dualshock isn't terrible but switching between the two controllers I really notice a huge difference in quality.

D-Pad is also great for RPGs (Grid Based) and 2D Platformers (It is hard to be precise in 2D Platformers without a D-Pad.)

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Dualshock for everything. 360 pad is just uncomfortablecampzor

The 360 controller was a major upgrade from the first Xbox controller, i found the use more user friendly in comparison, however given extended use, it still fatigued my hands. This was also mentioned in the video i uploaded, the buttons are hard, the size strains the fingers

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Frostbite24

Yeah, the d-pad has less application as the primary input than the analog stick. For games other than fighters, it's used for secondary functions, like weapon select or other quick menus.

Granted the 360's one achilles heel is its d-pad, but now I'm using the Tomb Raider edition controller with dat transforming pad. And it is so sexy :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Lol what? You can get rechargeable packs.Michael0134567

Yep, for money.

Duh :|. It's called the Play and Charge Kit.

Just for the record, I've had four of those recharge kits go bad after a few years.

It sucks having to replace those.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 SolidTy

For thread : I have giant hands and I slide between both controllers seemlessly. One look at my Atari/NES/SMS controllers reminds me of how far we have come. I do sincerely hope the 720 has a far better Dpad though.

Yeah, the d-pad has less application as the primary input than the analog stick. For games other than fighters, it's used for secondary functions,

AdobeArtist

That's incorrect.

2D games like Castlevania, Megaman, Pacman, Bionic Commando, R-Type, Gradius, Galaga, etc. also operate far better with a Dpad than an analog stick. None of those above are "Fighters".

Of course, it's true that Fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, BlazBlue, Marvel, etc) the Dpad is a must if you don't want to break out an arcade stick everytime. Another problem is if you have a party and you have only one $100 stick, and you force your friends to use a regular 360 controller with bad Dpad, that's also a bummer for them, and will kill the fun fast.

My main point though is that the Dpad is not only PRIMARY for "Fighters", the dpad works across most 2D type games as well not just for Fighting games. Look above in red for some examples. Clearly in 3D games and shooters, it is a secondary feature for weapon select though, I'm not disputing that as it's obvious for anyone that has owned a 360 since 2005.

Side Note : I have a transforming Dpad controller I got a few years ago, but the functionality still isn't good and responsive like it should be for those games, but it looks cool.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#107 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="ImBatman-"]Yep, for money.

SolidTy

Duh :|. It's called the Play and Charge Kit.

Just for the record, I've had four of those recharge kits go bad after a few years.

Same here, but still.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Duh :|. It's called the Play and Charge Kit.Michael0134567

Same here, but still.

Yeah, the dang red light kicks on after a few seconds...:cry: