Dual shock vs Xbox Controller: The Verdict

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#51 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.

Pretty much. The d-pad sucks.
_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 _VenomX
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

It's all about preference. I grew up on the PS era and I prefer DualShock any time.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.

And face buttons and bumpers. My biggest complaint about the 360 controller is the need for AA batteries however. Not sure if rechargeable controllers is an option though. I'd love to pick one up for my PC
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

if you hold each controller the way they are designed to be held with the handles in your palms the dualshock shows it's age pretty badly.

the 360 controller keeps your wrists straight while the dualshock bends your wriists inwards at a pretty severe angle.

it is really about 90% of a non issue since most people don't play long enough sessions for it to matter but it is there and clearly demonstrable as an ergonomics problem.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.ohgeez
And face buttons and bumpers. My biggest complaint about the 360 controller is the need for AA batteries however. Not sure if rechargeable controllers is an option though. I'd love to pick one up for my PC

if you get one for your pc get wired.

it is a way better controller without that big honking battery pack getting in the way  and extra weight on it.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.ohgeez

I had recharable controller packs for the 360; You could have a cord while you play it will charge and they also have a charging dock made for the 360 where it comes with recharable batteries.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ohgeez

[QUOTE="ohgeez"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.Riverwolf007

it is a way better controller without that big honking battery pack getting in the way  and extra weight on it.

Okay, so if you get a wired one it doesn't need batteries? That is def. what i'd lean towards. I've found the wireless/blutooth capabilities of my PC to be inferior to my ps3 and have been playign with motioninjoy and my ps3 controller plugged in.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

PS3 controller has pressure sensitive face buttons, 10-bit precision sticks (360 is 8-bit) and smaller deadzones on the sticks.

I definitely prefer the PS3 sticks.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="ohgeez"] And face buttons and bumpers. My biggest complaint about the 360 controller is the need for AA batteries however. Not sure if rechargeable controllers is an option though. I'd love to pick one up for my PCohgeez

Okay, so if you get a wired one it doesn't need batteries? That is def. what i'd lean towards. I've found the wireless/blutooth capabilities of my PC to be inferior to my ps3 and have been playign with motioninjoy and my ps3 controller plugged in.

the wired 360 controller is so much nicer than the wireless one.

i have one for my pc and it is hard to go back to wireless after using it.

it does not have that huge battery pack bump in the back and is about 60% of the weight of the wireless.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

PS3 controller has pressure sensitive face buttons, 10-bit precision sticks (360 is 8-bit) and smaller deadzones on the sticks.

kraken2109
This, for all the comfort the 360 pad gives for shooters, the deadzones really bug me.
ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ohgeez

[QUOTE="ohgeez"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]if you get one for your pc get wired.

Riverwolf007

the wired 360 controller is so much nicer than the wireless one.

i have one for my pc and it is hard to go back to wireless after using it.

it does not have that huge battery pack bump in the back and is about 60% of the weight of the wireless.

Awesome! now i just have to find a sale. controllers don't go on sale too often
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
I prefer the DS3 overall. After long gaming sessions on the 360 controller my fingers start hurting, particularly on games where i have to hold down the trigger for long times.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

If I want to play fighters I'd use a fighting stick. Since I don't play fighters, the 360 gamepad is better than the DS3 for everything.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.freedomfreak

But fight sticks completely and utterly put a gamepad to shame for fighters.

eaf72eb7-54a6-479b-82f3-f675fa39b391

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

hoosier7

This, for all the comfort the 360 pad gives for shooters, the deadzones really bug me.

i guess  this comes to mind because i was playing skyrim this morning but there is no dead zone.

all you have to do to prove it is pick a lock in skyrim.

you move the sticks less than a mm and the lock or the pick  begins to turn.

just out of curiosity does anyone know where  this whole deadzone thing even come from?

Avatar image for MstaPrimeMnista
MstaPrimeMnista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MstaPrimeMnista
Member since 2013 • 1042 Posts
360 controller for batteries, dualshock for everything else.
happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Xbox 360 controller for First Person Shooters.

Dualshock 3 for everything else, especially Third Person games.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="hoosier7"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Riverwolf007

i guess  this comes to mind because i was playing skyrim this morning but there is no dead zone.

just out of curiosity does anyone know where  this whole deadzone thing even come from?

No idea, i noticed that aswell while playing Halo 4, the sticks (even in my 6 year old busted wired pad) are very precise with practically 0 deadzone, alternatively i noticed i had to move the stick atleast a few mil before i got any movement in UC3.

Either my equipment is messed up or i think people have it backwards, or i'm not understanding what they're referring to as a deadzone.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts
360 controller for batteries, dualshock for everything else.MstaPrimeMnista
Batteries? Are you kidding? Yeah it lasts longer, but come on, you have to pay for it.
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
The way I see it... 360 controller pros: An ergonomic design, better triggers, better joysticks, headset port on controller PS3 controller pros: Better buttons (hate the rounded buttons the 360 controller has), better dpad, better battery life per charge The perfect controller would take the best of both. Neither excels at everything.
jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts
[QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"]360 controller for batteries, dualshock for everything else.happyduds77
Batteries? Are you kidding? Yeah it lasts longer, but come on, you have to pay for it.

i use two sets of Rechargeable Batteries.. i havent had to pay for AA batteries for over a Year now ;)
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="hoosier7"] This, for all the comfort the 360 pad gives for shooters, the deadzones really bug me.Snugenz

No idea, i noticed that aswell while playing Halo 4, the sticks (even in my 6 year old busted wired pad) are very precise with practically 0 deadzone, alternatively i noticed i had to move the stick atleast a few mil before i got any movement in UC3.

Either my equipment is messed up or i think people have it backwards, or i'm not understanding what they're referring to as a deadzone.

maybe some games  that i have never seen has it built into the software or something.

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 jessejay420
I like both Controllers because im used to them. its really up to preference. i prefer both ;)
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]i guess  this comes to mind because i was playing skyrim this morning but there is no dead zone.

Riverwolf007

maybe some games  that i have never seen has it built into the software or something.

Would make sense as i was thinking after i made that post that no deadzone is noticeable when playing a racer (like GT5) on the PS3 so it must be sofware specific.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

[QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"]360 controller for batteries, dualshock for everything else.happyduds77

Seriously? You buy what, an $8 box of batteries like once every year or so? (and thats counting everything you use them for.  Most people HAVE batteries).

I love the 360 having batteries.  Mainly because it keeps its power for a very long time. My 360 batteries need changing like once every 1 or 2 months, sometimes longer.  (thats gaming 1-2 hours a day, assuming Im even playing my 360).  On a very heavy gaming marathon, maybe 3 weeks at minimum.  

PS3 on the other hand, the Dualshock 3 doesnt hold a charge for sh!t.  Every time you use it its battery is low, and if you go a while without playing your PS3, you need to plug it in, and wait for it to charge.  Thats because the battery doesnt hold a charge.  If I went 3 months without playing my 360, the controller would be fine.  

This is also exacerbated by the fact that Sony only gives you a 5 foot charge cable, so you have to sit close to your PS3.  That would be very inconvenient if I did not have a laptop to charge my controller into.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Snugenz

Would make sense as i was thinking after i made that post that no deadzone is noticeable when playing a racer (like GT5) on the PS3 so it must be sofware specific.

The thing is i've noticed the differences across multiplats. I've never had a problem with ergonomics or controller schemes and would barely notice the switch in controller when hopping across platforms if it weren't for the deadzones. There's a clear difference when i switch between Call of Duty on the two platforms that takes some time to adjust to.
jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jessejay420

[QUOTE="happyduds77"][QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"]360 controller for batteries, dualshock for everything else.StrongDeadlift

Seriously? You buy what, an $8 box of batteries like once every year or so? (and thats counting everything you use them for.  Most people HAVE batteries).

I love the 360 having batteries.  Mainly because it keeps its power for a very long time. My 360 batteries need changing like once every 1 or 2 months, sometimes longer.  (thats gaming 1-2 hours a day, assuming Im even playing my 360).  On a very heavy gaming marathon, maybe 3 weeks at minimum.  

PS3 on the other hand, the Dualshock 3 doesnt hold a charge for sh!t.  Every time you use it its battery is low, and if you go a while without playing your PS3, you need to plug it in, and wait for it to charge.  Thats because the battery doesnt hold a charge.  If I went 3 months without playing my 360, the controller would be fine.  

This is also exacerbated by the fact that Sony only gives you a 5 foot charge cable, so you have to sit close to your PS3.  That would be very inconvenient if I did not have a laptop to charge my controller into.  

i use Energizer AA Rechargeable batteries for my xbox controller. i have two sets of them and i only have to change them out once a week. i always have one set fully charged while the other set is in my controller. i bought them a year ago on sale and i havent had to buy any ever since.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#79 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Size alone, I much prefer the 360's controllers. And while I loved the triggers, they've strained my finger a lot. DS3 gets hot really fast, but it has better face buttons. Analogs are a toss-up and I don't have a problem with the 360's DPad.
Avatar image for MstaPrimeMnista
MstaPrimeMnista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MstaPrimeMnista
Member since 2013 • 1042 Posts

[QUOTE="happyduds77"][QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"]360 controller for batteries, dualshock for everything else.StrongDeadlift

Whoa WHOAAAAAA 8 Dollars for batteries for the WHOLE YEAR???!!?? GTFO I didn't know there was 2 gears of war releases for the year!!
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#81 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Xbox 360 pad for everything, I don't mind the Dualshock but I'd take the Xbox controller over it in any game just because it's much more comfortable to hold. Plus I don't play fighting games online, just for a bit of fun against the computer so the d-pad doesn't bother me, and if I was into them I'd just get a fight stick.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
360 controller for everything except fighters which i dont play sooo... the ds3 has one thing and thats dpad.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Xbox controller easily. I don't have baby hands, the dualshock is too small and doesn't fit the hand anywhere near as well as the 360 controller. Clearly even Sony know this as the PS4 dualshock has grips that are pretty much identical to the 360s. The dualshock feels flimsy as well, and too light. One squeeze and I could crush the thing.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 WilliamRLBaker
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="happyduds77"] Batteries? Are you kidding? Yeah it lasts longer, but come on, you have to pay for it.MstaPrimeMnista

Whoa WHOAAAAAA 8 Dollars for batteries for the WHOLE YEAR???!!?? GTFO I didn't know there was 2 gears of war releases for the year!!

gamepro did a comparison in 07 the 360 controller had 30-40 hours more game time then the ps3 controller.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
[QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Seriously? You buy what, an $8 box of batteries like once every year or so? (and thats counting everything you use them for.  Most people HAVE batteries).

WilliamRLBaker

gamepro did a comparison in 07 the 360 controller had 30-40 hours more game time then the ps3 controller.

So much this, lol. Dualshock 3 holds a charge like a f*cking Iphone.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#86 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else also Dualshock.ChubbyGuy40

Fixed for accuracy.

Advantage=SONY
ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

Having to constantly buy batteries for your 360 controller. MS tries to make you spend money on every little thing.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Michael0134567

Having to constantly buy batteries for your 360 controller. MS tries to make you spend money on every little thing.

ImBatman-
Lol what? You can get rechargeable packs.
ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

[QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

Michael0134567

Yep, for money.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

ImBatman-

Yep, for money.

Duh :|. It's called the Play and Charge Kit.
FashionFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 FashionFreak
Member since 2004 • 2326 Posts

Dualshock 3 charges from empty to full in less than 15 minutes and works for 20-30 hours.  The dualshock is usable while charging. Plus you don't have to buy batteries.

Rechargeable batteries for xbox takes hours to charge, and you must have spare batteries lying around if you want to continus playing.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 WilliamRLBaker

Dualshock 3 charges from empty to full in less than 15 minutes and works for 20-30 hours.  The dualshock is usable while charging. Plus you don't have to buy batteries.

Rechargeable batteries for xbox takes hours to charge, and you must have spare batteries lying around if you want to continus playing.

FashionFreak
15 minute charge time my ds3 takes an hour to charge my 360 controller with PLAY & CHARGE kit takes bout the same and hence play and charge I can play while I charge oh and the 360 will charge your controller while its turned off the ps3 wont do the same thing.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#93 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

wiiu and the thread ends here

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

ImBatman-

Yep, for money.

you can usually get a 360 con play and charge combo for cheaper than the ds3
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I use my Wii to charge my PS3 controllers. :?
OldSnake-PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 OldSnake-PS3
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts

the xbox controller is made for fat american cod/halo/gearz- loving 12 yr olds :lol:

PS3 controller has pressure sensitive face buttons, 10-bit precision sticks (360 is 8-bit) and smaller deadzones on the sticks -not to mention no laughable AA batteries:lol:

dualshock is superior in every way 

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Michael0134567

the xbox controller is made for fat american cod/halo/gearz- loving 12 yr olds :lol:

PS3 controller has pressure sensitive face buttons, 10-bit precision sticks (360 is 8-bit) and smaller deadzones on the sticks -not to mention no laughable AA batteries:lol:

dualshock is superior in every way 

OldSnake-PS3
Herp derp.
Avatar image for Sir-I_exCalibur
Sir-I_exCalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Sir-I_exCalibur
Member since 2013 • 724 Posts
:lol: Are lemmings still trying to get the 360 blob to somehow compete against the electric DualShock?
Avatar image for Sir-I_exCalibur
Sir-I_exCalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Sir-I_exCalibur
Member since 2013 • 724 Posts
I use my Wii to charge my PS3 controllers. :?Blabadon
As long as wii and not 360 you dont wanna RROD for a couple volts here and there
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Dualshock for everything. 360 pad is just uncomfortable