Dual shock vs Xbox Controller: The Verdict

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

It is no new theme on system wars and by far one of the more debated topics in gaming, the innovative and unique Xbox controller vs the Staple never aging Dualschock. After looking through all the debate topics, gaming journals and Youtube videos on the subject, i arrived at a conclusion.

No controller is better than the other, it is a matter of preference in games, in layman terms you can call the design of the Xbox controller a more focused design where it compromises utility for effectiveness at the best games suited for it (Shooters, Racers etc) while the Dualshock was designed as a more Jack of all trades and a master of non where it compromises focused effectiveness for a more rounded average adaptability in all game genres.

I found a video that actually compares the Controllers in a very less unbiased way

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52430 Posts
Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I like the layout of the 360 controller better. Hence, I use 3rd-party controllers for my PS3. I prefer the 360 layout for the Uncharted games and MGS4. I use the DS3 mainly for sports games.

I found both the DS3 and the 360-styled controllers lacking in KZ3. So, I bought an Eagle Eye converter and now use a good ol mouse n keyboard for that game. Glorious. :lol: 

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.freedomfreak

should be the other way around

360 controller for shooters

Dualshock for everything

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

As far as Dualshock 3 is concerned at least, Dualshock for fighters.

For everything else? Would rather sh!t in my hands and clap than use the DS3.  360 pad it is.

Although the DS4 still looks kind of awkward, I will reserve judgement until I get my hands on it :)

50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 50u1r34v3r
Member since 2006 • 1560 Posts

Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.freedomfreak

This.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.Sweenix

should be the other way around

Dualshock for everything

Sure, if you prefer that.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

There´s nothing I can think of where the DS is actually better, aside from maybe fighting games,for everything else the 360 controller is clearly the best as far as I´m concerned.
Since the PS1 days I could never stand the layout and design of the playstation controllers,and that hasn´t changed.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

Dualshock for everything

Sweenix

What he said.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARdxkovMhQ

I found a good comparison video

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
360 Controller for everything.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Dualshock for fighters. Everything else also Dualshock.freedomfreak

Fixed for accuracy.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I'm happy to use either controller. Both fit fine in my hands (even though I have large hands), both have good layouts. I prefer the triggers on the 360 controller, but I prefer the D pad in the ps3. Swings and roundabouts.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

DualShock if you are under the age of 12 and have small hands. Xbox controller for everyone else.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else also Dualshock.ChubbyGuy40

Fixed for accuracy.

You need to check your aim cuz that's off target.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 inggrish

DualShock if you are under the age of 12 and have small hands. Xbox controller for everyone else.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

I have pretty large hands, and still find the dualshock easy enough to hold and use without discomfort, so I don't really understand this argument. Maybe it's because I have used the dualshock for so many years?

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

there is a reason that there is a Dualshock 4 controller available for the PS4 modeled after the 360 design, its just better. sts106mat

Fixed :cool:

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

[QUOTE="HaRmLeSS_RaGe"]

_Matt_

I have pretty large hands, and still find the dualshock easy enough to hold and use without discomfort, so I don't really understand this argument. Maybe it's because I have used the dualshock for so many years?

Then you are under the age of 12 :P

I kid. Yeah you can get used to it. I just find that when i've been using the 360 pad a lot then go back to the DualShock it feels piss poor in design.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

360 controller

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 inggrish

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="HaRmLeSS_RaGe"]

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Then you are under the age of 12 :P

I kid. Yeah you can get used to it. I just find that when i've been using the 360 pad a lot then go back to the DualShock it feels piss poor in design.

Haha, fair enough, I use both controllers a lot and can happily switch between either.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 faizan_faizan
there is a reason that there are third party controllers available for the PS3 / PC modeled after the 360 design, its just better. sts106mat
360 Controller is officially compatible with Windows :|
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jun_aka_pekto

there is a reason that there are third party controllers available for the PS3 / PC modeled after the 360 design, its just better. sts106mat

One problem I had with using 360-style controllers on the PS3 is the lack of Six-axis support. I guess Sony has a lock on that one. Some games didn't seem to have regular button equivalents for Six-axis functions. So....... I simply quit playing those games (KZ3 and Heavy Rain).

The good thing is, My Eagle Eye 3.0 now allows Six-axis functions to be mapped to the keyboard. I don't worry about the controller in PS3 FPS games anymore. 

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The 360 Controller is the best Controller.

Nintendo took notice.

Sony should too.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]there is a reason that there are third party controllers available for the PS3 / PC modeled after the 360 design, its just better. sts106mat

One problem I had with using 360-style controllers on the PS3 is the lack of Six-axis support. I guess Sony has a lock on that one. Some games didn't seem to have regular button equivalents for Six-axis functions. So....... I simply quit playing those games (KZ3 and Heavy Rain).

The good thing is, My Eagle Eye 3.0 now allows Six-axis functions to be mapped to the keyboard. I don't worry about the controller in PS3 FPS games anymore. 

well true, but i've never really been a fan of third party controllers anyway.

It'd be nice if either all 3rd-party controllers have Six-axis support or Sony ditched Six-axis altogether. Six-axis feels more like a curse than a convenience.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 faizan_faizan
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="sts106mat"]there is a reason that there are third party controllers available for the PS3 / PC modeled after the 360 design, its just better. sts106mat
360 Controller is officially compatible with Windows :|

didn't know that, i thought you had to buy a PC version of the 360 controller. W/E point stands.

For the wireless you need to buy something that doesn't exist any more (Or that might be just me) The wired one is completely compatible, I've used it so many times with GTA IV, SF4 etc.
dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

I like the XBOX controller much more than they duel stick. I am kind of dissapointed with the PS4's controller as well as I had hoped they would take the opportunity to make some real changes this time around.

robbie80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 robbie80
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts
Dualshock for me it all opinion either way
FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Dualshock for fighters. Everything else for the 360 controller. Only thing I dislike about the 360 controller is the d-pad.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

360 controller is so much better its not even funny, just recently (after a very long stint of only playing games on my PC with KB/M) got Halo 4 and UC3, with Halo 4 i could very easily aim with the pad as if i'd never stopped using the pad, with UC3 its as if i've become handicapped the dual sticks are horrible and very imprecise for shooters (or maybe thats just UC3 and its horrible gunplay).

The only thing the DS3 beats the 360 pad in is the Dpad, thats it.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
After playing with either one for at least 10 minutes I get used to it and don't really care. The more you use something the more comfortable you are going to become with it. That's why if you always play Xbox and pick up a dualshock it feels weird and vice versa.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="sts106mat"]didn't know that, i thought you had to buy a PC version of the 360 controller. W/E point stands.sts106mat
For the wireless you need to buy something that doesn't exist any more (Or that might be just me) The wired one is completely compatible, I've used it so many times with GTA IV, SF4 etc.

well my point was just that there are numerous 360 third party controllers for the PS3 / PC based on the 360 design....but not so many of the PS3 controller for other systems thats it.

Yup, ya know that suka is saweet when the 360 controller being sotra copied even for phones :shock:

clamp2:P
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9562 Posts

I am 6'3" and I have large hands. My choice? Dualshock.

Yes, I pick the dualshock for EVERY genre. I simply do not like the layout or bulkiness of the Xbox controller. Also the offset analog sticks feel ackward to me.

Anybody who says the 360 controller is better for shooters is either a camper. a 360 fanboy, or just does not play shooters much. I have played on both controllers quite a bit, and with practice the dual shock comes out on top. The 360 controller helps less skilled players on analog get their grasp more quickly "like training wheels on a bike." However, that takes a lot of skill from shooters. The dual shock requires skill and player precision... meaning it rewards tha more skilled player with the analog controls, and overall gameplay. I said it before, but I would love to see a test between dualshock controllers and 360 controllers being played on teams against each other. I know I would love to shut some mouths if it were possible... lol We could play SOCOM.... oh wait, all the 360 has is Gears... CoD is not a great game to try and compare either, because it is a generic shooter designed for an easier playstyle. SO many shooting games are leaving the skill behind and adopting the CoD mentality of "hey everybody is good." :( no.....

Maybe I like the dualshock controller more because I have been playing with that style of controller longer... however, it does not really matter. I may be in the minority on this debate but I disagree none the less.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto

with UC3 its as if i've become handicapped the dual sticks are horrible and very imprecise for shooters (or maybe thats just UC3 and its horrible gunplay).

Snugenz

So, you've noticed too that the 360 layout is much better for the Uncharted games? I love it.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Snugenz

Yes, I pick the dualshock for EVERY genre. I simply do not like the layout or bulkiness of the Xbox controller. Also the offset analog sticks feel ackward to me.

Anybody who says the 360 controller is better for shooters is either a camper. a 360 fanboy, or just does not play shooters much. I have played on both controllers quite a bit, and with practice the dual shock comes out on top. The 360 controller helps less skilled players on analog get their grasp more quickly "like training wheels on a bike."

WitIsWisdom

You should get an award for posting the most amount of crap in one paragraph.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Snugenz

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]with UC3 its as if i've become handicapped the dual sticks are horrible and very imprecise for shooters (or maybe thats just UC3 and its horrible gunplay).

jun_aka_pekto

So, you've noticed too that the 360 layout is much better for the Uncharted games? I love it.

It actually would be which is why i'm gonna grab me one of them 360-esque PS3 controllers, so i can actually enjoy UC3.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Anybody who says the 360 controller is better for shooters is either a camper. a 360 fanboy, or just does not play shooters much. I have played on both controllers quite a bit, and with practice the dual shock comes out on top. The 360 controller helps less skilled players on analog get their grasp more quickly "like training wheels on a bike."

Snugenz

Ok camper go hide in a corner now... lmao

Seriously though, seeing as though 90% of people just camp all the time anyways....

Nothing I posted is crap... it is opinion.

One more thing... I am MUCH better on the dualshock controller and I can still get 2:1 and 3:1 k/d ratios on shooters no problem with the 360 controller. Also, I am not talking about CoD... anybody can go 50-2 on that crao series. I was going to join a major league gaming league until I realized how much time that takes.... I have a family.

However, if there is any way for us to put our money where our mouth is, lets put it to the test shall we?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Snugenz

Yeah, seriously. What a load of bullsh*t.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]with UC3 its as if i've become handicapped the dual sticks are horrible and very imprecise for shooters (or maybe thats just UC3 and its horrible gunplay).

Snugenz

It actually would be which is why i'm gonna grab me one of them 360-esque PS3 controllers, so i can actually enjoy UC3.

It's a matter of taste. To me, leftward movement using the left analog on the DS3 felt awkward and put a strain on my left thumb. The placement of the left stick on the 360-style controller felt just right. You might want to try it first.

Now that I think about it, I've also started using the 360-style controller on sports games because of the same problem above. I'm not really using the DS3 right now.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WitIsWisdom

Being a fan of a controller does not make it better. Bottom line.

Here, I will repost a thread from this site for you all. I know how you all love your statistics. This is from users of this site... lol

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26375541/dualshock-3-vs.-xbox-360-controller

It is split 50-50.

Different people like different things.

I appolagize for acting the dualshock is better... I should have said that it is better for ME

if the 360 controller is better for you, then that is great.

*edit*

Sorry for that "training wheels on a bike" statement I made... that's not how I roll. I got all caught up in the SW mentality there for a second.... :o so sorry :(

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I give the 360 a hard time but it does have the best pad. The ds controller is

1. Too small

2. The triggers are trash

3. The analog sticks are too close together

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I vote Dualshock...but that's probably because I've played with one since it's existence.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

360 controller for me except for fighters.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Wii U Pro Controller it is like the 360 controller but with symmetrical analogue sticks and a great D-Pad.

Out of those I'm used to Dual-Shock I find the 360 controller comfortable but I don't like the d-pad.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

For me, personally, the ergonomics of the 360 controller are  sooooo  much better. I even find the Logitech Rumblepad to be far superior ergonomically. That being said, the D-Pad is leaps and bound better on the PS3, which can be a pretty big deal.

Overall, i'm digging the new PS4 controller. Can't wait to check it out.