Discussing the power differences of the PS5 vs Xbox Series X, and which console will you get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Poll Discussing the power differences of the PS5 vs Xbox Series X, and which console will you get? (139 votes)

Xbox Series X 29%
Playstation 5 45%
Xbox Series X first, then Playstation 5 19%
Playstation 5 first, then Xbox Series X 7%

For how long can the PS5 GPU sustain the 10.3TFLOPS without sacrificing the CPU clocks, or vice versa? If the Xbox Series X always has the 3.8ghz for 8 cores and 3.6ghz with 8 cores 16 threads while simultaneously being able to run the GPU at 1.825ghz at all times, then that means that the PS5 is AT MOST 10.28/12.115x100=84,85% of the Xbox Series X GPU Power or the Xbox series X GPU is AT LEAST 17% faster than the PS5 GPU. Question is, under which loads can it reach that max power. CPU intense games will most likely downgrade the 2.23GHz clock speed of the PS5 GPU significantly, hypothetically we are then looking at differences closer to the likes of Ps4 Pro vs Xbox one X. It is probably then safe to assume that the PS5 is in fact 30% less powerful GPU wise than the Xbox series X, unless that insane I/O can unload certain taxing processes in more efficient ways. That will require coding talent, I am sure exclusive companies would be up to that task but multiplatform wise the Series X will be king hands down.

Xbox series X also sounds like it is easier to develop for, but we'd have to see Developers responses on that. At the end of the day I am quite sure that the Playstation Studios will still make better looking games than the Xbox exclusives. And it will be interesting to see how the superior I/O on the PS5 can make all the parts offload performances to one and another in some way and thus remedying the lack of GPU horsepower substantially.

When both consoles are prices similarly, it's a hard call for me as PS5 has better single player exclusives while Xbox has the Multiplayer advantage. Xbox will offer a ton of services for my older games which allows me to easily sell my Xbox one X and spend even less money than I would getting a PS5 and keeping my Xbox one X. I will probably wait for a PS5 Pro and go for the Series X while it releases. What will you do?

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#201 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69932 Posts

@davillain- said:
@phbz said:

My god that dude is in complete meltdown mode.

Please don't ask me to get rid of him. Today is my day off😔

This is too much fun to watch so, enjoy your day off. :)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#202 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

@Pedro said:
@davillain- said:

This is too much fun to watch so, enjoy your day off. :)

Straight up. SW is boring lately, and he adds some levity.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#203 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56252 Posts

@Pedro: Coolio😌

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#204 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@davillain-: I wouldn't dare!

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#205 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain- said:
@phbz said:

My god that dude is in complete meltdown mode.

Hey you let casualbanndodger4ever stay then you should let cash angry stay, at least he's entertaining.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56252 Posts

@i_p_daily: Oh I'm not going to do anything. Looking at the thread at hand, it seems the situation has been handle and by that, BoxRekt dug himself deep he'll never recover :P

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11177 Posts

Still PS5, just not at launch. I can still enjoy Xbox content on PC. I can pass on PS5 hardware should Sony decide to go the same route.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#208  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I still don't know which one i'll get, but those who think PS5 is inferior to Series X because it has less teraflops, are making the same mistake as those who thought PS3 would destroy the 360 because of the Cell. The whole scenario is way more complex, and interesting, than that. Check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l1aHy8uBg2o

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#209 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Think I'll get both. Series X looks really appealing with better supported BC (speaking as someone who ignored Xbox One entirely), Gamepass, a first party lineup and unlimited powah.

They've really got their shit together after a generation of meh.

Sony, well they have a nice SSD I suppose. But there's plenty of time for everything to swing back in their favour.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Pedro

@PAL360 said:

I still don't know which one i'll get, but those who think PS5 is inferior to Series X because it has less teraflops, are making the same mistake as those who thought PS3 would destroy the 360 because of the Cell. The whole scenario is way more complex, and interesting, than that. Check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l1aHy8uBg2o

The difference between the Cell and the 360 debacle is that these consoles are using the same tech and the same manufacturer. So, its not remotely the same situation.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#211  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@Pedro: Not in the hardware, but in how people took the infornation (and that was Sony's fault, by showing the world a conference that should have been aimed exclusively to devs).

Just like what happened with the cell, people took the teraflop numbers as a guarantee of superiority, and ignored the fact that a console is the sum of all its components and how they interact with each other.

Series X is factually a ridiculously powerful console, but PS5 does seem to have its advantages.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

PS5 no doubt for me.....so exciting to see what it can do and developers all over Twitter wetting themselves in excitement over it and what that SSD will allow them do.

One next generation machine has got fan boys excited about 2 tflops and one has developers excited about the new possibilities.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Pedro said:

The difference between the Cell and the 360 debacle is that these consoles are using the same tech and the same manufacturer. So, its not remotely the same situation.

That should be even easier to calculate.

In fact i posted an example of the 5700XT and 5700 which have 1.8TF difference in power and the gap was pretty small.

I think the xbox series X will always always be ahead more power on the same architecture means the one with more power will always win.

But the dude in the video has a point so does Cerny,AMD has problem with GPU with a great number of CU,and is clear when you Over clock Vega 56 which can beat Vega 64.

Vega 64 is 64 CU 12,65TF

Vega 56 is 56 CU 10.54TF

Not saying this will be the case here,but there is more than 2TF gap between this 2 GPU.

But i firmly believe the xbox should come on top always fallowing the same like of the PS4 and Pro examples.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 scatteh316
@nfamouslegend said:

https://youtu.be/RHRqKJhIYBU

To educate the masses. A higher clockspeed is much more beneficial to games than the number of shaders. If the PS5 can sustain 2.2ghz on the GPU it may turn out to be as performant if not more than the 12tf XSX. This high of a clock is unseen even on most desktop graphics cards and whatever magic Sony is using without liquid cooling I'm very much interested in.

In certain situations PS5 will be faster.... Higher GPU clock increases fill rate, texel rate, internal GPU bandwidth, geometry rates, reduces latency............. Increasing shader count doesn't do any of that so if your ALU performance is limited by any of the back end functions such as the ones about then they won't do shit.

Vega 64 has 14% more shader cores then Vega 56.........but run both of them at the same clock speed and Vega 64 isn't 14% faster......... it's less then 1% faster.

If you do that for the 290 vs 290x......Fury vs Fury X..etc...etc... you'll see that AMD GPU's have shit scaling with CU count as they're limited by other areas of the GPU which is why they respond better to frequency increases.

Cerny even said this in the presentation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Pedro

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

In fact i posted an example of the 5700XT and 5700 which have 1.8TF difference in power and the gap was pretty small.

I think the xbox series X will always always be ahead more power on the same architecture means the one with more power will always win.

But the dude in the video has a point so does Cerny,AMD has problem with GPU with a great number of CU,and is clear when you Over clock Vega 56 which can beat Vega 64.

Vega 64 is 64 CU 12,65TF

Vega 56 is 56 CU 10.54TF

Not saying this will be the case here,but there is more than 2TF gap between this 2 GPU.

But i firmly believe the xbox should come on top always fallowing the same like of the PS4 and Pro examples.

AMD RDNA uses WGP which is not the same as the traditional CU. So, using the older architecture to leverage understanding of the newer is not accurate. People need to stop damage controlling the reality between the two systems and move on. All of this dancing around and speculation to make up for the blatant differences in performance is just silly.

As I have stated many times before and now, the difference is most likely going to be negligible. I could be wrong (I didn't think the Series X would be 12 TFLOPS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). We will all see at the end of the year.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 scatteh316

@Pedro said:
@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

Vega 64 is 64 CU 12,65TF

Vega 56 is 56 CU 10.54TF

AMD RDNA uses WGP which is not the same as the traditional CU. So, using the older architecture to leverage understanding of the newer is not accurate. People need to stop damage controlling the reality between the two systems and move on. All of this dancing around and speculation to make up for the blatant differences in performance is just silly.

As I have stated many times before and now, the difference is most likely going to be negligible. I could be wrong (I didn't think the Series X would be 12 TFLOPS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). We will all see at the end of the year.

Who damage controlling? And CU has nothing to do with it, the example was to show that having extra shaders doesn't translate to better performance if you don't have the back end throughput to support it.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#217  Edited By Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Recently bought PC gaming rig, so PS5 easily.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Does anybody else remember how just a few days ago, Cows were saying "All Mark Cerny has to do is come on stage and.......etc." and bragging about the Instagram impressions of the Playstation 5 logo?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Ah the good ole days. When we were all the tender young age of........however old you were Tuesday lmao.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

PS5 no doubt for me.....so exciting to see what it can do and developers all over Twitter wetting themselves in excitement over it and what that SSD will allow them do.

One next generation machine has got fan boys excited about 2 tflops and one has developers excited about the new possibilities.

You crawled out of your hole for that damage control LOL.

Go back in and come back with something better.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 tormentos

@Pedro said:

Loading Video...

😉

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Pedro

@tormentos: Still trying to claim the PS5 is faster I see. Poor thing. Have fun with the power draw and temps.😉

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos:

NAVI 10 doesn't have variable-rate shading, mesh shaders, sample feedback, and hardware raytracing.

• Sample Feedback, the shading for a 3D surface is recycled for the next frame, hence conserving shading resource power. It's better than the checkerboard rendering.

• Variable-Rate Shading, change shading resolution while preserving geometry resolution, hence conserving shading resource power. It's better than the checkerboard rendering.

• Mesh Shaders, enables efficient geometry amplification, hence conserving geometry related resource power. It's unknown if AMD will enable Mesh shaders for NAVI 10.

• RDNA 2 supports DXR Tier 1.1.

Existing games don't use RDNA 2's mentioned features.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By ronvalencia
@scatteh316 said:
@Pedro said:

Who damage controlling? And CU has nothing to do with it, the example was to show that having extra shaders doesn't translate to better performance if you don't have the back end throughput to support it.

For TU104, RTX 2080 class would be the boundary between render back end and 11.66-12 FLOPS compute balance.

MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio has 12.15 TFLOPS average with 496 GB/s memory bandwidth.

For TU102, NVIDIA switches to 88 ROPS to 96 ROPS with 14 to 17 TFLOPS compute range.

Your argument would be valid but 2-week raw Gears 5 benchmark port with PC Ultra settings shows XSX's RDNA v2 12 TFLOPS scaling into RTX 2080 class results

Don't assume RDNA v2 is like RDNA v1 or Vega GCN.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@Martin_G_N said:

10.3TF is great bang for buck, and the differences between this and XsX will be minor, some games will be better on PS5, some will be better on XsX, while no games on XsX will look better than the PS5 exclusives. And the better SSD solution on the PS5 will be important for next gen games. It will be interesting to see, or hear, how the new audio engine will work.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 ronvalencia

@jahnee:

From https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-series-x-gpu.c3482

XSX GPU is rumored to have 80 ROPS.

PS5 GPU would have 64 ROPS based on NAVI 10's 40 CU layout.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#226 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@scatteh316: I'm excited about sending pictures of my ears in....

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 ronvalencia

@Floppy_Jim said:

Think I'll get both. Series X looks really appealing with better supported BC (speaking as someone who ignored Xbox One entirely), Gamepass, a first party lineup and unlimited powah.

They've really got their shit together after a generation of meh.

Sony, well they have a nice SSD I suppose. But there's plenty of time for everything to swing back in their favour.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

"Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s," reveals Andrew Goossen. "This is a dedicated silicon block that offloads decompression work from the CPU and is matched to the SSD so that decompression is never a bottleneck. The decompression hardware supports Zlib for general data and a new compression [system] called BCPack that is tailored to the GPU textures that typically comprise the vast majority of a game's package size."

Microsoft increased decompressed storage I/O into "over 6GB/s" PR.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: He's not wrong though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Pedro

@vfighter said:

@hrt_rulz01: He's not wrong though.

Well no one knows what the games on either system will look like. So, at the moment its just an assumption. (Well if Hellblade 2 is legit demonstration then his point doesn't hold much value)

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@vfighter:

He is

HAH

It’s easy this seeing into the future stuff

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@vfighter: If you say so.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@tormentos: I am saving this quote from you.

You heard it from Tormentos folks: “The difference in power will only result in 5 frames”

You are in such denial.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I think eventually I’ll get the xbox mainly for its xbox backwards compatibility through all consoles. Xbox have been the only systems I can’t emulate well on pc. I have pc and Switch for all other gaming needs. If the price comes down to about $300 eventually I’ll get one.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By ronvalencia

@Martin_G_N said:

10.3TF is great bang for buck, and the differences between this and XsX will be minor, some games will be better on PS5, some will be better on XsX, while no games on XsX will look better than the PS5 exclusives. And the better SSD solution on the PS5 will be important for next gen games. It will be interesting to see, or hear, how the new audio engine will work.

Read https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/true-audio-next/

AMD's "True Audio Next" which includes audio raytracing via RadeonRays which runs on Polaris/Vega/RDNA v1.

Sony asked AMD to slice at least 1 CU without raster hardware for DSP audio work.

Loading Video...

RDNA v2 GPUs have RT cores to accelerate RadeonRays.

PS5 technically has 36 RDNA v2 CU for graphics + at least 1 CU for AMD's True Audio Next. Total CU count: 37.

Sony asked CU based DSP to be equal to 8 Jaguar CPU cores from PS4 which is about 100 GFLOPS.

For more information.

Loading Video...

XSX's raytracing audio from https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-project-acoustics-audio-ray-tracing-revealed

Both Sony and MS follow AMD's True-Audio Next.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

@ronvalencia: But will this mean that the XsX will need to use GPU CU for audio? While the PS5 has a dedicated CU.

The PS4 and X1 had a AMD TrueAudio processor for sound, but it could only do around 200 audio channels, which is less than the Cell on the PS3. So if the XsX only has a TrueAudio v2, it will be inferior to the PS5 I would guess.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 tormentos

@Pedro said:

@tormentos: Still trying to claim the PS5 is faster I see. Poor thing. Have fun with the power draw and temps.😉

Well if you are a blind lemmings who can't read yes that is what i am doing,if you can see past that and actually see that i already claim that the xbox series X would always be ahead then no.

So take it how it serve you best.

I just showed you that even on RDNA that still the case,just not as bad but again the series X has more power more bandwidth alto mix,so yeah i know it will have always an advantage,now i think it will be ultimately small and smaller than this gen.

@ronvalencia said:

@jahnee:

And?

Aren't you the guy who defended the xbox one 16ROP at broken back this gen over the PS4 doubling that with 32ROP?

So now more is better but this gen less was ok for the xbox one.😂

Watching you flip flop is quite something.

The xbox series has more powerful so is ok it has more ROPS.

I just counting until you come and say 64ROPS is not enough for 4k,after all you did defending 16ROP been enough for 1080p.

@BlackShirt20 said:

You heard it from Tormentos folks: “The difference in power will only result in 5 frames”

You are in such denial.

Well it would not be the first shit you quote out of context don't worry we knot how severely limited your brain is.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Pedro

@tormentos: I understand that you are stressed and you are in super damage control mode. I am sorry Sony opted for a weaker GPU,CPU and Memory. You can always file a complaint to Sony explaining how you have been slighted and now have to work overtime to defend the PS5. Maybe they will up the frequency even more, just for you. 😂

Uruz7laevatein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Uruz7laevatein
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts

@tormentos: iirc the ROP count for both consoles remains the same as there really aren't indicator (ROP amount is decoupled from the rest of the other hardware blocks in AMD GPUs), the only reason for ROP to be worth it over 64 would be to push 8K gaming assuming other aspects of GPU is also expanded upon (such increased memory, geometry, etc blah blah) proportionally.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 tormentos

@Pedro said:

@tormentos: I understand that you are stressed and you are in super damage control mode. I am sorry Sony opted for a weaker GPU,CPU and Memory. You can always file a complaint to Sony explaining how you have been slighted and now have to work overtime to defend the PS5. Maybe they will up the frequency even more, just for you. 😂

I already did complain with sony.🤷‍♂️

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Pedro

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

I already did complain with sony.🤷‍♂️

I guess they don't care. :(

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

Well if you are a blind lemmings who can't read yes that is what i am doing,if you can see past that and actually see that i already claim that the xbox series X would always be ahead then no.

So take it how it serve you best.

I just showed you that even on RDNA that still the case,just not as bad but again the series X has more power more bandwidth alto mix,so yeah i know it will have always an advantage,now i think it will be ultimately small and smaller than this gen.

@ronvalencia said:

@jahnee:

And?

Aren't you the guy who defended the xbox one 16ROP at broken back this gen over the PS4 doubling that with 32ROP?

So now more is better but this gen less was ok for the xbox one.😂

Watching you flip flop is quite something.

The xbox series has more powerful so is ok it has more ROPS.

I just counting until you come and say 64ROPS is not enough for 4k,after all you did defending 16ROP been enough for 1080p.

@BlackShirt20 said:

You are in such denial.

Well it would not be the first shit you quote out of context don't worry we knot how severely limited your brain is.

1. RDNA generation has ROPS with L2 cache links which are decoupled from the memory controllers e.g. RX 5600 XT has 36 CU with 192 bit bus and still has 64 ROPS. LOL.

X1X GPU's ROPS with 2MB render cache enables decoupled 384-bit memory bus i.e. it's not wedged like Polaris 10's ROPS with 256bit bus.

ROPS with multi-MB-cache can run to its near potential via tile cache render tricks.

Unlike NVIDIA's ROPS linked with fast L2 cache, XBO's 32 ESRAM bandwidth is close to 256bit GDDR5-5500 bandwidth, hence it's pointless.

2. Do the math on 16 ROPS at 853 Mhz read/write memory bandwidth consumption and get back to me.

PS; MS's argument is correct on 16 ROPS at 853 Mhz but it wouldn't solve XBO's CU bound issues.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Pedro

@-DaVillain- seems like your have to mod this thread after all. 😋