Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#351 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@tormentos: You dumb asshat! Follow the goddamned posts! I was am talking about AFTER THE CRASH HAPPENED!!

The gaming industry almost ended without consoles.

Jesus, if you are going to jump into a conversation, at least understand what we are talking about.

Lol classic tormentos, only reading last posts, and jump to conclusions

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#352 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@FastRobby said:

No i was pretty spot on and he is on denial after being own like you also do when you get your ass handed to you..lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@tormentos said:
@FastRobby said:

No i was pretty spot on and he is on denial after being own like you also do when you get your ass handed to you..lol

Yeah that never happened on your account. I followed everything here, and you were wrong again, like always. That's why multiple people are saying that you are wrong, but keep believing you are NEVER wrong. Which is such an unattractive character in a human being.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Yeah that never happened on your account. I followed everything here, and you were wrong again, like always. That's why multiple people are saying that you are wrong, but keep believing you are NEVER wrong. Which is such an unattractive character in a human being.

Hahahaa sure just like you fake claim of 5 million Halo MCC sold without a link based on fake info and wishful thinking...hahahahaaa

Yeah i am always wrong...lol

Too_Jazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 Too_Jazzy
Member since 2015 • 74 Posts

@sts106mat: I would agree completely.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#357 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@StormyJoe said:

@blue_hazy_basic: So, you are saying the Commodore 64 saved gaming when the console market collapsed? At absolute blown up numbers, it only sold 30 million world wide; most likely, it sold less than half of that.

Hardly the sales figures needed for an industry saving device.

It was one of many similar devices that continued gaming while the console market crashed in North America. The ZX spectrum for example you could buy for 100 quid ($150ish), the BBC was another, the Amstrad line was launched in '84.

I'm not saying gaming revenues didn't decline. If you removed all the console from the market today you could say there was a crash, but it wouldn't mean gaming as a hobby was threatened, the PC market would just keep expanding like it did in the 80's, until the gap was filled again.

yep, i was there. Here in the Uk it really was a case of "lol consoles" the atari 2600 was old hat. it was all about the spectrums and commodore 64. Only when the NES turned up did consoles become a thing again, it was also around that time that the amiga came out.

With the arrival of the mega drive, that was when i would say the pendulum started to swing towards consoles (here at least in my experience).

Again - Before the crash: $3 billion/year industry. From the time the crash happened until the NES came out: down to $100 million/yr. The gaming PC market really did a bang up job keeping the industry alive (insert rolling eyes here).

Your friends may have been "knocking down your door to get into your Commodore 64", but they sure weren't contributing to the gaming industry.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By StormyJoe

@tormentos said:
@FastRobby said:

No, you were 100% wrong. Normally, I just ignore asinine posts like this. But, since you are so epically wrong, I cannot resist. Lets review:

• Pyro1245 insinuated the gaming industry would be better off with just the PC
  • I reply with "The last time gaming was left to just PCs, the industry almost ended. Just sayin'."
  • Blue and I discuss the Crash of 1983.
  • Blue the replies with "You mean the north american console crash? When home PC's thrived and Europe (specifically the UK) saw a boom in gaming?"
  • I replied with "Yeah, except most gaming companies went under because a majority of the disposable income for things like video games was in the good ol' USA. Computer video games weren't anything special in the 80s. And, home computer sales did not "thrive" because of the video game crash, they "thrived" because PCs went from being $10K+ to $2K. What "saved" most gaming companies that did survive from going under was not the PC, it was arcade machines. There's a reason there is a term called "The Video Game Crash of 1983"."
  • We then discussed PC prices of the early 80s.

That's when you jumped in, saying that I said "PCs caused the console crash". It's all on page 7, Tormentos. GO FIND WHERE I SAID THAT.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@sts106mat said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@StormyJoe said:

@blue_hazy_basic: So, you are saying the Commodore 64 saved gaming when the console market collapsed? At absolute blown up numbers, it only sold 30 million world wide; most likely, it sold less than half of that.

It was one of many similar devices that continued gaming while the console market crashed in North America. The ZX spectrum for example you could buy for 100 quid ($150ish), the BBC was another, the Amstrad line was launched in '84.

I'm not saying gaming revenues didn't decline. If you removed all the console from the market today you could say there was a crash, but it wouldn't mean gaming as a hobby was threatened, the PC market would just keep expanding like it did in the 80's, until the gap was filled again.

yep, i was there. Here in the Uk it really was a case of "lol consoles" the atari 2600 was old hat. it was all about the spectrums and commodore 64. Only when the NES turned up did consoles become a thing again, it was also around that time that the amiga came out.

With the arrival of the mega drive, that was when i would say the pendulum started to swing towards consoles (here at least in my experience).

Again - Before the crash: $3 billion/year industry. From the time the crash happened until the NES came out: down to $100 million/yr. The gaming PC market really did a bang up job keeping the industry alive (insert rolling eyes here).

Your friends may have been "knocking down your door to get into your Commodore 64", but they sure weren't contributing to the gaming industry.

Not sure where you're getting your figures from there Stormy, do you have a link?

• I replied with "Yeah, except most gaming companies went under because a majority of the disposable income for things like video games was in the good ol' USA. Computer video games weren't anything special in the 80s. And, home computer sales did not "thrive" because of the video game crash, they "thrived" because PCs went from being $10K+ to $2K. What "saved" most gaming companies that did survive from going under was not the PC, it was arcade machines. There's a reason there is a term called "The Video Game Crash of 1983"."

Except none of what you said is true here. The IBM was $1500 and kept falling, the C64 (which was a home PC) got under $200.

The UK at that time had a burgeoning independent gaming market, sure most of them sucked and were disposable, but as a kid I could pick up a new game for $2. I could even buy books to let me write my own games (holy **** that kinda sucked though cos 1 error was impossible to find :P )

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46449 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Why are people still talking about this? How many times does Phil have to say if there's any improvements, it will be small and doesn't guaruntee anything with DX12. You'll keep hoping and preying for a miracle that most likely will not happen so just stop it, it's making you look bad and desperate. Enjoy the games coming out for the Xbox, they look great to begin with and keep it moving, stop wishing upon a star.

Very well put.

Quantum Break looks simply amazing. Why can't people be content ?

I see these terms like GDDR5 (at the start of the gen) and DX12 thrown around like they offer some kind of magical power. The consoles are what they are. Software can't magically improve hardware like this. Not in this way, anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Why are people still talking about this? How many times does Phil have to say if there's any improvements, it will be small and doesn't guaruntee anything with DX12. You'll keep hoping and preying for a miracle that most likely will not happen so just stop it, it's making you look bad and desperate. Enjoy the games coming out for the Xbox, they look great to begin with and keep it moving, stop wishing upon a star.

Very well put.

Quantum Break looks simply amazing. Why can't people be content ?

I see these terms like GDDR5 (at the start of the gen) and DX12 thrown around like they offer some kind of magical power. The consoles are what they are. Software can't magically improve hardware like this. Not in this way, anyway.

Gamers have evolved into wanting more and more and more and just not enjoying what they have or what's out there to play. I'm glad I'm an older gamer that can appreciate great looking and playing games for what they are. I'm happy with my Xbox, does it have some issues of course it does but so does my PS4 and my Wii U. I don't sit there and keep hoping and wishing for DX12 to do anything for the software when they look amazing to begin with. People just love to complain, that's all there is too it.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 StormyJoe
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@StormyJoe said:
@sts106mat said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@StormyJoe said:

Not sure where you're getting your figures from there Stormy, do you have a link?

Except none of what you said is true here. The IBM was $1500 and kept falling, the C64 (which was a home PC) got under $200.

The UK at that time had a burgeoning independent gaming market, sure most of them sucked and were disposable, but as a kid I could pick up a new game for $2. I could even buy books to let me write my own games (holy **** that kinda sucked though cos 1 error was impossible to find :P )

I gave you a link to look at all the computer prices from every year. I guesstimated the $2k - and I wasn't that far off. I got the dollar figures from Wikipedia

@sts106mat. I don't disagree that the PC market helped keep the gaming industry alive. However, @blue_hazy_basic is saying that it "thrived" without consoles - I do not agree with that statement at all.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

The PS4â„¢ system is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art 1.84 TFLOPS graphics processor with 8 GB of ultra-fast GDDR5 unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform. The end result is new games with rich, high-fidelity graphics and deeply immersive experiences.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 Heil68

@sts106mat said:
@Heil68 said:

The PS4â„¢ system is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art 1.84 TFLOPS graphics processor with 8 GB of ultra-fast GDDR5 unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform. The end result is new games with rich, high-fidelity graphics and deeply immersive CINEMATIC experiences.

fixed

of course cinematic experience is part of the experience, but dont forget.

"PS4 looks like the next-gen console to beat"

TechRadar, James Rivington

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@Heil68 said:

The PS4â„¢ system is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art 1.84 TFLOPS graphics processor with 8 GB of ultra-fast GDDR5 unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform. The end result is new games with rich, high-fidelity graphics and deeply immersive CINEMATIC experiences.

fixed

Quantum Break confirmed for PS4??!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 Heil68

@Shewgenja said:
@sts106mat said:
@Heil68 said:

fixed

Quantum Break confirmed for PS4??!

lolz..buh that's different!!!1

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@StormyJoe said:
@tormentos said:
@FastRobby said:

No, you were 100% wrong. Normally, I just ignore asinine posts like this. But, since you are so epically wrong, I cannot resist. Lets review:

• Pyro1245 insinuated the gaming industry would be better off with just the PC
  • I reply with "The last time gaming was left to just PCs, the industry almost ended. Just sayin'."
  • Blue and I discuss the Crash of 1983.
  • Blue the replies with "You mean the north american console crash? When home PC's thrived and Europe (specifically the UK) saw a boom in gaming?"
  • We then discussed PC prices of the early 80s.

That's when you jumped in, saying that I said "PCs caused the console crash". It's all on page 7, Tormentos. GO FIND WHERE I SAID THAT.

That's what they call, getting your ass handed to you, tormentos.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@StormyJoe: So a wiki page, which links to a Nintendo fan page which has no actual links or data? Not saying that its necessarily wrong, but .....

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 StormyJoe

@blue_hazy_basic: Perhaps. But, I could not find any other source that listed dollar amounts; just how many companies folded and how many independent developers went on to other careers. So, much like quoting VGChartz, I had to use what I have available.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@StormyJoe said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Perhaps. But, I could not find any other source that listed dollar amounts; just how many companies folded and how many independent developers went on to other careers. So, much like quoting VGChartz, I had to use what I have available.

So if I write a PC fan blog and link it on wiki will you accept that? SMH

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 StormyJoe

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@StormyJoe said:

So if I write a PC fan blog and link it on wiki will you accept that? SMH

How about Informit? Is that better?

At the peak of the previous generation, the video game industry was grossing upward of $3 billion a year in America alone; in 1985, at the end of the third generation, video game sales reached only $100 million worldwide. The situation was so dire that Atari's stock dropped 32% in a single day (December 7, 1982) after it announced that VCS holiday sales would not meet company expectations.

According to this source, it was even worse than I originally said.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@StormyJoe: Another blog with no sources?

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

See here's why I'm skeptical.

Just including C64:

For a substantial period (1983–1986), the C64 had between 30% and 40% share of the US market and two million units sold per year,[11] outselling the IBM PC compatibles, Apple Inc. computers, and the Atari 8-bit family of computers. Sam Tramiel, a later Atari president and the son of Commodore's founder, said in a 1989 interview, "When I was at Commodore we were building 400,000 C64s a month for a couple of years."[12] In the UK market, the 64 faced competition from the BBC Micro and the ZX Spectrum[13] but the 64 was still one of the two most-popular computers in the UK.[14]

That would be $1200 million alone for hardware in sales for the C64 alone in just the US for 1985.

Notice the language of your sources which both carefully word it

"the video game industry was grossing upward of $3 billion a year in America alone; in 1985, at the end of the third generation, video game sales reached only $100 million worldwide."

The first one says "video game industry" the second says "video game sales". It would seem to me one includes hardware where the 2nd only is looking at software, even if those figures are accurate.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#378  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

He did have a source, he just didn't post it in his blog ;)

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Yes the wiki page which links to a fan blog which we discussed earlier ... lol

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By StormyJoe

@blue_hazy_basic said:

See here's why I'm skeptical.

Just including C64:

For a substantial period (1983–1986), the C64 had between 30% and 40% share of the US market and two million units sold per year,[11] outselling the IBM PC compatibles, Apple Inc. computers, and the Atari 8-bit family of computers. Sam Tramiel, a later Atari president and the son of Commodore's founder, said in a 1989 interview, "When I was at Commodore we were building 400,000 C64s a month for a couple of years."[12] In the UK market, the 64 faced competition from the BBC Micro and the ZX Spectrum[13] but the 64 was still one of the two most-popular computers in the UK.[14]

That would be $600 million alone for hardware in sales for the C64 alone in just the US for 1985.

Notice the language of your sources which both carefully word it

"the video game industry was grossing upward of $3 billion a year in America alone; in 1985, at the end of the third generation, video game sales reached only $100 million worldwide."

The first one says "video game industry" the second says "video game sales". It would seem to me one includes hardware where the 2nd only is looking at software, even if those figures are accurate.

Perhaps because it is a computer, it is not "Video Game Industry Sales". Do iMac sales count towards the video game industry? I wrote BASIC apps on a Commodore 64 (and 128), it was most certainly a PC.

Still, its not like it sold like a console. Most sources I have seen said it sold between 12-17 million units in it's lifetime.

So, you are saying "Well, there were PCs being sold, so there was no video game crash." Great. Go tell the authors of the 1000s of articles, books, and web pages that there was no "Video Game Crash of 1983".

Your argument is ludicrous.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 StormyJoe

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@GarGx1 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

For the love of Jesus, how many goddamned sources do you want?

So, Informit is full of shit too, huh? Is that how this game is going to be played?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#382 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@GarGx1 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

So, Informit is full of shit too, huh? Is that how this game is going to be played?

I'm just having a laugh, trying to brighten up a hard day.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@StormyJoe said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@GarGx1 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

If I list 4 sources linking to vgchartz article does that make it more accurate? I'm not disputing there was of course a drop in gaming revenue, I merely pointing out that the "crash" esp outside of the US is completely overblown as almost being the end of gaming and that Nintendo saved it.

It would have continued to grow and thrive even if Nintendo had never existed.