Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Motokid6 said:

If the expansions are free... Then all this bad talk is moot. But that's not the case.. Is it?

Then would that mean that they released an Unfinished game?

I would say that in this case, yes. Even MMORPGs have some kind of complete story line you play through when they launch. Destiny, on the other hand, makes no sense even when you beat the main story.. It doesn't even end on much of a cliffhanger or explain why you had to destroy the Black Garden so much as it tells you to get back on your ship and be someone.

What really has people miffed is the one thing no one is even talking about, but it's at the heart of everything that is wrong with Destiny. The story, plot and universe is left so blank that you're still wondering why you care about any of this long after the game stopped giving you any story. It gives you plenty of stuff to grind out and get, but it's all reskinned copy/pasta even when you take it on to do it in a game universe that you don't have a lot to care much of a **** about in the first place.

That is Destiny in a nutshell. They skimmed back so much from the scope and story of the game that you are left with what amounts to a Korean F2P MMO for the cost of 60-90 bucks and a promise that it might actually turn into a game at some point. I'm really not seeing where the $500 million went. That might just be the real problem. Has anyone who bought and played this game even seen where their $60 went? That is the very definition of unfinished.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#102 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I blame casual bro gamers. They should real manly games like Metro instead of trash like Destiny.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#103 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I blame casual bro gamers. They should real manly games like Metro instead of trash like Destiny.

Almost posted a "gtfo" in response to the comment... well played.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#104 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

**** Bungie.

Word

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 BldgIrsh

Update: Thread was taken down from bungie.net.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#106 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I mean let's not even say that like that's a joke, Metro Last Light is way more deserving of a spin given that it's an actual good game.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Motokid6 said:

If the expansions are free... Then all this bad talk is moot. But that's not the case.. Is it?

Then would that mean that they released an Unfinished game?

I would say that in this case, yes. Even MMORPGs have some kind of complete story line you play through when they launch. Destiny, on the other hand, makes no sense even when you beat the main story.. It doesn't even end on much of a cliffhanger or explain why you had to destroy the Black Garden so much as it tells you to get back on your ship and be someone.

What really has people miffed is the one thing no one is even talking about, but it's at the heart of everything that is wrong with Destiny. The story, plot and universe is left so blank that you're still wondering why you care about any of this long after the game stopped giving you any story. It gives you plenty of stuff to grind out and get, but it's all reskinned copy/pasta even when you take it on to do it in a game universe that you don't have a lot to care much of a **** about in the first place.

That is Destiny in a nutshell. They skimmed back so much from the scope and story of the game that you are left with what amounts to a Korean F2P MMO for the cost of 60-90 bucks and a promise that it might actually turn into a game at some point. I'm really not seeing where the $500 million went. That might just be the real problem. Has anyone who bought and played this game even seen where their $60 went? That is the very definition of unfinished.

Demons/Dark Souls was a great example of how to let the atmosphere and minimal NPC's make the world feel like it's filled with a rich lore. Even the ghost of other players made it feel more lived in.

So what's Destiny's excuse? Even from a minimalistic point of view other games have done it better. Seriously...where did all that money go I get the feeling it wasn't for game development but instead it went to the salary of way too many uncreative, untalented, and unimaginative people.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#108 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Seriously...where did all that money go I get the feeling it wasn't for game development but instead it went to the salary of way too many uncreative, untalented, and unimaginative people.

That is the $500mil question. There is nothing to justify that kind of investment unless they spent >50% of it on marketing. There is less than 5% of the content in a typical MMO here and even the most expansive MMO in history was only ~$300mil.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

I knew this game was going to be too good to be true.

This is basically happening with the majority of big budget games out there... Top executives with no real experience in video games with two goals in mind, making shareholders happy and having ridiculous expectations.... The industry has had too much money pumped into it, it is fucking wrecking development of numerous games..

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@shewgenja. Well said pal, you are spot on. I spent £90 on the collectors edition, whilst I do like the game in some ways, it does feel like you have opened a well wrapped present, only to find a hand written "I owe you" note.

I've never been one for loot / grinding games so cant say for sure, but this games grinding takes the piss. play for hours doing bounties for the queen to level up one level, only to find out I have to do it all again before I can buy any shit.

What the **** is up with the stingy vanguard marks? hours and hours of bullet sponges? No thanks.

I don't think I will play this for a while now, there are better games coming out, like shadow of Mordor and master chief collection and alien isolation.

I wont get rid of destiny because it really does have promise, but only with some major fucking revamp.

This.is the biggest bait and switch of the year, if its true the content I. The season pass is on the disc, I hope people tell Activision where to shove it and give cod-fw the **** you.

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of how FFXIV was before A Realm Reborn. Broken game mechanics. Nonsensical plot movement. Endgame grind with seemingly no real pay off.

It may be too late. I mean, people like us bought the game by truckload and now we're more or less stuck with it. Bungie can either take themselves seriously enough to make it right or this game will become the quintessential story we tell everyone about how to overhype and under-deliver on a videogame. It's a damn shame Bungie were the ones to do it, too.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 BldgIrsh

@sts106mat: I wouldn't say all the blame should be directed towards activision. Bungie made the game and had a lengthy time period for it as well.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the future.

Same with Watch_dogs: they are already working on DLC and sequel(s) during the development of the game. Giving us a complete game in the first place is their last priority.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 BldgIrsh

@R4gn4r0k: We have to go back!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 R4gn4r0k

@bldgirsh said:

@R4gn4r0k: We have to go back!

Just saw a video for the Shadow of Mordor Season Pass. Looked pretty far in development... game isn't even out yet

smh

Can we go back ? I doubt it. The Evil Within and Alien are two other examples of games coming out soon that have season passes and Alien even has day one DLC about the nostromo crew. I'm sure their other DLC is being worked on as we speak.

Good thing is there are so many games coming out I can easily go for those that set out to offer me a complete experience from the get go. The ones that want to nickle and dime me are the game that I pick up as a complete version for 75% off. Complete version has become, ironically, quite literally the only version that is complete.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#117 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

tl;dr

welcome to modern video games industry

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I'm GLAD I decided to skip Destiny for Shadow of Mordor. Now, SoM is going to be GOTY, not this Destiny silliness.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Kjranu said:

I'm GLAD I decided to skip Destiny for Shadow of Mordor. Now, SoM is going to be GOTY, not this Destiny silliness.

The enemy level up/returning rival feature in Mordor alone is ten times more next gen than anything in Destiny.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 R4gn4r0k

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Kjranu said:

The enemy level up/returning rival feature in Mordor alone is ten times more next gen than anything in Destiny.

Yup, that's truly next gen. Meanwhile Destiny sounds like a step back from Halo 1&2.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

And all the people that bought this game have shown to them that it's ok to continue doing this. Unbelievable

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#122 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

I disliked Halo so didn't pay no attention to this. Do I get a cookie?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 BldgIrsh

@Dibdibdobdobo: Eh I guess the original poster would've idolized you for not playing halo 2 heh.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

@bldgirsh: I was always more of a Time Splitters Fan. Played Halo for a hour and was like "what is this ××××" and went right back to playing TimeSplitters.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 BldgIrsh

Update: AMA response

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

lol paying more money for this shit

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#128  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

I can confirm that there were sudden and abrupt changes in the development of Destiny less than a year ago. There was tension between higher ups the entire time we were developing the title due to a lack of cohesion about the vision for the game. One side wanted this huge space epic, like an MMO Mass Effect and the other side was not convinced that would sell and wanted to pare things back to more "easily accessible" standards. They were afraid too much story elements and cut scenes would drive players off.

Then Joe left and everything just fell apart. By the time we were 7 months out to release, word came down that we were making massive revisions to the game's story. Huge portions of dialogue were excised and I think several recordings were redone to support the new narrative. Entire areas that would have been in the final game were removed, but some of the context wasn't, which explains weird reactions from NPCs and strange, unexplained motivations. We had a guy come in to write the grimoire cards who was given access to the original script with notations on what was cut and what needed to be revised in order to make this zombie of a game seem plausible.

All of the Last City factions had their storylines and dialogue cut, the Guardian's initial introduction to the Tower and the Last City was cut, and ALL the origins were homogenized down to the one originally used for Exo characters.

Most of what was cut was planned to be re-polished into DLC, but it's all there on the disc. Not all of it is live on the servers, but it's all there on the disc. Some last minute art assets needed to be remade, which is what you'll be downloading.

It's an embarrassing disaster and not the game I thought would be published.

I have an inordinate amount of respect for Deej after reading that and apparently I was wrong in my previous statement that Destiny was not shipped unfinished - it was.

Joe Staten probably left because of the lack of willfulness to actually develop and prove to the fans that this is what they are making (in terms of the Mass Effect MMO idea -- which is actually the EXACT game I had thought Bungie was making this whole time.

Finally, it is an absolute shame that there are developers inside Bungie who are scared by the idea of a game with too much story - a game that relies on balancing narrative and gameplay. Those people nearly killed Destiny and have tarnished the reputation of the one of the best developers to ever create video games.

Seems I should have read more. If Deej says it's false, then it is false. Simple as that.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 BldgIrsh

@R3FURBISHED said:

I have an inordinate amount of respect for Deej after reading that and apparently I was wrong in my previous statement that Destiny was not shipped unfinished - it was.

Joe Staten probably left because of the lack of willfulness to actually develop and prove to the fans that this is what they are making (in terms of the Mass Effect MMO idea -- which is actually the EXACT game I had thought Bungie was making this whole time.

Finally, it is an absolute shame that there are developers inside Bungie who are scared by the idea of a game with too much story - a game that relies on balancing narrative and gameplay. Those people nearly killed Destiny and have tarnished the reputation of the one of the best developers to ever create video games.

Seems I should have read more. If Deej says it's false, then it is false. Simple as that.

Which is a acceptable response.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 BldgIrsh

@Desmonic said:

@bldgirsh said:

Just making sure that it isn't interpreted wrong. Deej is saying the AMA responder is a troll. This isn't Deej doing the AMA but someone who as far we know claims to be a destiny dev. Deej just simply stated that he's a troll.

Oh snap. Should have payed more attention. lol

Ahh thought you did when you said "if we can trust it." =p Lemme edit it to make it more clearer heh.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BldgIrsh

@Desmonic said:

@bldgirsh: Not in the same sense though :P That was more in the sense that sometimes people sugarcoat stuff and make it sound like what existed before (in this particular case) was much better and would have avoided the current situation, so we always have to kinda take it with a healthy grain of salt IMO.

Always. Which is why i'm just updating the current events due to the discovery of some DLC being on disc.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#135 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@bldgirsh:

That AMA speaks volumes... if we can trust it, then Destiny really went through dev hell.

It does help explain why the basic gameplay elements (which almost everyone agrees work great by themselves) are the only salvageable thing in the final game. AI, story, context, character motivation, player interaction, player economy, etc were all either extremely lacking or non-existent due to time constraints and (apparently) a massive shift in the creative design.

Hope Bungie can do good with the DLC and (more than likely) sequel. The impression I got from the Beta was that the game needed a better story, a better "world" to really work since the actual gameplay (IMO) functioned well enough as was.

That's what the Activision and Bungie higher ups wanted! They wanted us to buy a bare bones game to be expanded with nickel and dime DLCs. I'm not going to fall into that trap. No thank you, siree.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#136 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Which is a acceptable response.

From a response I provided to Deltron3040 on b.net:

Bungie, more than any company I have ever seen, cares about their customers. Bungie only does what they do because of the people who play their games.

Has Destiny changed in numerous ways over the past couple of years? Of course. As every game does. I think one reason this sort of thing has come out is because of the ire that Destiny has caused in so many fans (myself included). Bungie has been creating the best of whatever genre their games falls under since the companies creation (Pathways Into Darnkess, Myth, Marathon, Halo) and now they create a game that is very good but comes with the warts? I think this sort of the "backlash" is understandable. (on the same page, I don't feel Bungie is required to provide an answer to every inane question that is asked)

I am very curious to see how Bungie weathers this storm, and I will absolutely be rooting for them.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 BldgIrsh

@R3FURBISHED: Well put. I just hope bungie does their best to accurately respond on the accusations that are being presented against them.

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 timster20
Member since 2014 • 399 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Bro gamers usually gets tons of bang for their buck. Gears and CoD are content kings. Metro is thin on content.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@timster20 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Bro gamers usually gets tons of bang for their buck. Gears and CoD are content kings. Metro is thin on content.

CoD content king? It's just copy-pasta from game to game

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 timster20

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It's got a new campaign, new mp maps, offline bot mode, survival modes, extinction mode; simply a staggering amount of content. The cutscenes alone probably cost more to produce than most games in their entirety.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@timster20 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

It's got a new campaign, new mp maps, offline bot mode, survival modes, extinction mode; simply a staggering amount of content. The cutscenes alone probably cost more to produce than most games in their entirety.

Not sure if serious or just brainwashed

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By speedfreak48t5p

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Brainwashed casual kiddie console gamer, doesn't know of hardcore bad ass games like Stalker.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@nini200: I knew Destiny was going to be shit when I played the Beta. I pre-ordered for a code and cancelled 3 days in to the Beta.

I went into Bungies forums and complained about literally everything that everyone is now complaining about. Guess what happened? I got told to stfu.

i actually posted here in SW complaining about a lot of the issues being discussed right now and, again, got called a liar and told to stfu.

After discovering all the issues first hand I cancelled my pre order. Now that I have seen rating and the backlash the game has received I know I made the right choice.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By BldgIrsh

@prawephet: Bungie forums still will net you the same responses heh.

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 timster20

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Brainwashed casual kiddie console gamer, doesn't know of hardcore bad ass games like Stalker.

What fps games have more content out of the box Monsieur?

I've played all the Stalker games Sniper

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 speedfreak48t5p

@timster20 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@timster20 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

What fps games have more content out of the box Monsieur?

I've played all the Stalker games Sniper

You're confused friend. I am clone relative of real SNIPER.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Destiny makes me feel like Clark Griswald arriving at Wally world and finding out it's closed. Except Bobby Kotick is Satan and not Wally.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I wonder how different this game would be if MS published it. The original vision for Destiny sounds incredible, and I can't help but feel Activision played a big role in ****ing things up.

It's a decent enough game, but man what a disappointment. Hope to see good things from Joe Staten in his future with MS.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

lol Bungie

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

The game is a disappointment, but I am still having fun with PvP.