Dark Souls will blow Skyrim, Witcher 2 to the oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#201 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

Then compare to Dark Souls gameplay, look at how DS handle dodge-roll animation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7U-a9pJtHQ

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#203 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

This is W2 latest gameplay video. I mean look at the animation, what kind of dodge-roll is that? look at the monster animation, are they on rails? especially the large spider at the end

Then look atmosphere. Bright colors for dark fantasy, really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXfsvKGIFDI&t=286s

-Damien-
You're talking animations, but while we've played Demon's Souls and know what it plays like, The Witcher 2 has a completely new combat system, so its impossible to know what it feels like when you actually play it. That said, The Witcher 2, like was said, will have better story, characters, consequences, and the likes. Demon's Souls was awesome and one of my favorite games this gen, but it can't compare to The Witcher as an overall RPG.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

3. It actually passes any WRPG in combat, gameplay and atmosphere, bosses and monster AI/implementation, balancing, fun

Not the best in story and there are no huge cities with NPCs etc, but Dark Souls seems to cover that as well this time, making for what could be the perfect RPG

Creator_Of_All

No, not at all.

The Witcher has better atmosphere (looks to be better even in the Witcher 2), most bosses felt like fillers, the monsters werent anything special,the AI was the most exploitable AI I have ever encountered with 0 regards to defense. Demons Souls is one of the most imbalanced RPGs I have ever played, Warding almost made you invincible, Homing Soul arrow could take out half of a boss's life bar, and there was a reason very few weapons were actually being used. For having the best combat 2/3s of the combat was downright horrible (spells/archery). Melee combat, some boss fights and the atmosphere was good, but they have all been done better in WRPGs. The Subtle story telling methods were great as well, and by the looks of it, they will also be there in Dark Souls which makes me very glad.

I dont know about the addition of towns improving Dark Souls. It may improve the game but I have a bad feeling it may ruin the lonely atmosphere Demons Souls had going for it.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#205 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

This is W2 latest gameplay video. I mean look at the animation, what kind of dodge-roll is that? look at the monster animation, are they on rails? especially the large spider at the end

-Damien-
The Witcher 2 isnt "dark fantasy" its mature fantasy, as in not every area is a gloomy depressing emptiness, it simulates a human world in trouble, on more of a political side of things, where it needs to be dark and atmospheric it IS, where it needs to be bright and vibrant , it IS. and where it needs to feel like a community it does. Demon souls just shoved you in a dark world, hardly difficult to design, its levels were nice aesthetically (well some were). I mean good god, its a long shot, but if you change the action pace and lighten the rpg elements alitt more, you practically got castlevania lord of shadows slower paced with some multi-player.... only castlevania actually did atmosphere right.... why? because it wasn't just sum of its parts. In before "did you seriously just compare a hack n slash to an rpg" ... oh im sorry, thats being done with demon souls and traditional D&D rpgs.... i thought all is fair.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#206 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="-Damien-"]

The Witcher 2 isnt "dark fantasy" its mature fantasy, as in not every area is a gloomy depressing emptiness, it simulates a human world in trouble, on more of a political side of things, where it needs to be dark and atmospheric it IS, where it needs to be bright and vibrant , it IS. and where it needs to feel like a community it does. Demon souls just shoved you in a dark world, hardly difficult to design, its levels were nice aesthetically (well some were). I mean good god, its a long shot, but if you change the action pace and lighten the rpg elements alitt more, you practically got castlevania lord of shadows slower paced with some multi-player.... only castlevania actually did atmosphere right.... why? because it wasn't just sum of its parts. In before "did you seriously just compare a hack n slash to an rpg" ... oh im sorry, thats being done with demon souls and traditional D&D rpgs.... i thought all is fair.

I was going to mention the setting too. It seems Damien in a video jockey and more than likely never played or followed The Witcher. The Witcher's setting is Medieval fantasy and not Dark fantasy. swords, Sorcery, olde speak and things like that are what is expected. it doesn't have to be brooding and scary all the time so once again, the comparison sucks. It's like comparing Fable to Demon Souls and saying Fable is better because of the humor.