Dark Souls will blow Skyrim, Witcher 2 to the oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 0

#151 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Gotta agree with the TC. In the end, a quality Japanese dev and their project will always be leagues beyond anything a Western dev can come up with.

waltefmoney

Lolno. Not in this genre.

Demon's Souls > any WRPG from this gen :P

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Why?

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

Why?

I don't know. Because god willed it, maybe?

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 waltefmoney

Master_ShakeXXX

Okay, what makes Demon's Souls better than any wRPG released this gen?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Demon Souls was a an average game with a slightly innovate online play (that isnt even as good as a 10 year old series, in multiplayer), with low production values, a considerable ammount of poor game usability, boring story/characters (who barely do anything) .... and the difficulty was incredible overated, and when it wasnt, was incredible cheap. Not to mention PvP was very unbalanced, consolites praise it as the second coming, its a step foward for consoles, but lets be frankly honest, as an RPG overall, it was an incredible average experience.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Gotta agree with the TC. In the end, a quality Japanese dev and their project will always be leagues beyond anything a Western dev can come up with.

Master_ShakeXXX
funniest post of the year.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Master_ShakeXXX

waltefmoney

Just about everything. Atmosphere, difficulty, level design, gameplay, innovative and awesome online mechanics, boss fights. Pretty much blows everything else away, and then some.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Birdy09

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Just about everything. Atmosphere, difficulty, level design, gameplay, innovative and awesome online mechanics, boss fights. Pretty much blows everything else away, and then some.

Atmosphere - You mean grundgy looking zones, poor music and any lack of context of each level? Difficulty - completely overated the second you can level up, highly exploitable (you can wear the ring that makes enemies less aware of you and just attack them in the back, works on 90% of enemies, over and over again), a large portion of the bosses would only hit a player if the player is a complete and utter idiot that cant follow a simple movement pattern, those bosses that you couldnt avoid were potion + attack spamable like any other. Stupid bosses like the giant storm ray provided a stupidly easy way to become majorly over leveled. Level Design - are you kidding me? one or 2 optional events per map, with little interaction, pending on a "allignment meter", linear, empty, souless. Gameplay - Its quite good, though bug ridden, stiff and limited. Online Mechanics - ok, ghosting was interesting il give you that, but as far as player interaction goes, it wasnt even as good as 10 year old online rpgs like Diablo... let alone anything else, served little to no purpose. Boss fights - already mentioned in difficulty, final boss was terrible, most of them were easy fillers.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

Despite the hate I threw at Demons Souls and maybe even negatively hyped Dark Souls I just want to say I still love DS and am very hyped up for Dark Souls.

Here is how I feel the games will rank up: Witcher 2>Dark Souls>Witcher 1>Demons Souls>Oblivion>Skyrim

waltefmoney

While I dont think it is better than every wRPG this gen I can see why someone would think so.

The gloomy atmosphere, the constant feeling of danger, the rewarding feeling when you kill a boss, the difficulty (for some, not me, I breezed through that game), the combat system (the best combat system on CONSOLES), the online intergration and the subtle storytelling, some even like the lore/universe.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 waltefmoney

SkyWard20

funniest post of the year.

I feel that this needs to be posted:

"What games are you looking forward to playing in 2011?

Hidetaka Miyazaki, director, Dark Souls:Politically this is sort of a difficult question to answer! [laughter] I'm a big gamer. But to be honest, right now I absolutely love Magic: The Gathering Online. For 2011, I'm really looking forward to UNCHARTED 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim."

All western games. 8)

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Birdy09

Atmosphere - You mean grundgy looking zones, poor music and any lack of context of each level? Difficulty - completely overated the second you can level up, highly exploitable (you can wear the ring that makes enemies less aware of you and just attack them in the back, works on 90% of enemies, over and over again), a large portion of the bosses would only hit a player if the player is a complete and utter idiot that cant follow a simple movement pattern, those bosses that you couldnt avoid were potion + attack spamable like any other. Stupid bosses like the giant storm ray provided a stupidly easy way to become majorly over leveled. Level Design - are you kidding me? one or 2 optional events per map, with little interaction, pending on a "allignment meter", linear, empty, souless. Gameplay - Its quite good, though bug ridden, stiff and limited. Online Mechanics - ok, ghosting was interesting il give you that, but as far as player interaction goes, it wasnt even as good as 10 year old online rpgs like Diablo... let alone anything else, served little to no purpose. Boss fights - already mentioned in difficulty, final boss was terrible, most of them were easy fillers.

Clearly you didn't "get" it. Going off your post, you were expecting Demon's Souls to be the same 'ol cliched crap. It's not supposed follow the rules that you're comfortable with. The difficulty is perfectly balanced, as in it's always fair. Since when in the hell are optional side quests required, or interaction for that matter? Poor music? Gameplay is bug ridden? Did you even play it?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Clearly you didn't "get" it. Going off your post, you were expecting Demon's Souls to be the same 'ol cliched crap. It's not supposed follow the rules that you're comfortable with. The difficulty is perfectly balanced, as in it's always fair. Since when in the hell are optional side quests required, or interaction for that matter? Poor music? Gameplay is bug ridden? Did you even play it?

Well clearly I didnt, or I wasnt engaged by it due to you know... its lack of presentation, its horrible looking bits of story inbetween, no mate, I didnt "not get it" I got it alright, what little of it that was there. Its ironic, same ol cliche crap? you mean a generic looking knight in the most basic generic medevil armour going around fighting demons? and has a central HQ? with different portals to go in? thats not cliche? its certainly nothing new. It has nothing to do with following any kind of rules, it followed the rules of a poorly controlled hack and slash with RPG elements thrown in to make it last longer, and thats exactly what it did. I just gave you an prime example of a bug, abusing an item to make enemies not even hit you or stay targeting on you, offering no resistance that works on 90% of the enemies in the game. "when is interaction required" are you serious? yes poor music... well with 1 or 2 exceptions. Oh I played it, im not WoW'd by an "online rpg :lol:" with the production values of an indie game.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] Atmosphere - You mean grundgy looking zones, poor music and any lack of context of each level? Difficulty - completely overated the second you can level up, highly exploitable (you can wear the ring that makes enemies less aware of you and just attack them in the back, works on 90% of enemies, over and over again), a large portion of the bosses would only hit a player if the player is a complete and utter idiot that cant follow a simple movement pattern, those bosses that you couldnt avoid were potion + attack spamable like any other. Stupid bosses like the giant storm ray provided a stupidly easy way to become majorly over leveled. Level Design - are you kidding me? one or 2 optional events per map, with little interaction, pending on a "allignment meter", linear, empty, souless. Gameplay - Its quite good, though bug ridden, stiff and limited. Online Mechanics - ok, ghosting was interesting il give you that, but as far as player interaction goes, it wasnt even as good as 10 year old online rpgs like Diablo... let alone anything else, served little to no purpose. Boss fights - already mentioned in difficulty, final boss was terrible, most of them were easy fillers.Birdy09

Well clearly I didnt, or I wasnt engaged by it due to you know... its lack of presentation, its horrible looking bits of story inbetween, no mate, I didnt "not get it" I got it alright, what little of it that was there. Its ironic, same ol cliche crap? you mean a generic looking knight in the most basic generic medevil armour going around fighting demons? and has a central HQ? with different portals to go in? thats not cliche? its certainly nothing new. It has nothing to do with following any kind of rules, it followed the rules of a poorly controlled hack and slash with RPG elements thrown in to make it last longer, and thats exactly what it did. I just gave you an prime example of a bug, abusing an item to make enemies not even hit you or stay targeting on you, offering no resistance that works on 90% of the enemies in the game. "when is interaction required" are you serious? yes poor music... well with 1 or 2 exceptions. Oh I played it, im not WoW'd by an "online rpg :lol:" with the production values of an indie game.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you are just saying random things about a game that you have never played :?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

I'm not quite sure what it is that you're talking about. I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you are just saying random things about a game that you have never played :?

Sigh... I have a Raptr signature, try looking at the link, then achievements. Achievements. Demon's Souls (PS3) LAST EARNED: Feb 4 2010 TOTAL HOURS: COMPARE Add to Compare 22 of 38 Got any real rebutal or am I just wasting my time? Demons Souls is a "Sum greater than parts" experiance, shame those parts are not even up to the standard of 10 year old online WRPGs, and its production values all-round considerable poorer than most modern RPGs. too bad really.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#165 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="Birdy09"], I didnt "not get it" I got it alright, what little of it that was there.

No, you didn't. :) If the game was as horrible generic crap as you are trying to make it out to be, it wouldn't be AAA and GOTY. It has around 90% on gameankings and metacritic, 89% if you want to be literal. I bet its a big conspiracy where most people seem to love the game, but its secretly a piece of ****, its unfortunate most people can't get it the way you seem to. :(
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Birdy09
[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Birdy09"], I didnt "not get it" I got it alright, what little of it that was there.

No, you didn't. :) If the game was as horrible generic crap as you are trying to make it out to be, it wouldn't be AAA and GOTY. It has around 90% on gameankings and metacritic, 89% if you want to be literal. I bet its a big conspiracy where most people seem to love the game, but its secretly a piece of ****, its unfortunate most people can't get it the way you seem to. :(

I'm not saying its crap, but Im willing to bet, no... Guarantee that if this wasnt a console game (Meaning PC Game) it would of got in the 6.5 to 7.0 region, and that the idea that its new to consoles is largely what let this game get away with such credibility despite its clear lack of balance, play testing, production values and so on is because it is a relatively new experience to consoles. It doesn't excel at anything. not in one single area does it defeat other top RPGs. "my opinion" yes yes...., im not making it up, it was quite enjoyable the first time arround, but its many flaws quickly became apperent. Hey, whos gonna say its not the best thing since sliced bread if there is no other type of bread on that market? ;)
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 waltefmoney

Yes, I have a rebuttal. Everything you said is a biased opinion. Obviously it differs a lot from the majority of people who have rated this game as follows:

GS: 9.0, GOTY, User Score: 8.9

Metacritic: 89, User Score: 8.9

Gamerankings: 89,88

So, now, please proceed and explain to us why WE are wrong and YOU are right.

KiZZo1

9.5; 91.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 110million
[QUOTE="Birdy09"] It doesn't excel at anything. not in one single area does it defeat other top RPGs.

No RPG really compares to it in terms of combat. All major WRPGs suck ass in combat, stuff like oblivion and gothic have crap combat, JRPGs are more turned based, but action combat ones typically can't compare to demon's souls either. Each weapon acts differently, there is a lot of physics and weight to the weapons, how they react makes sense. I believe it excels in the combat like I mentioned as well as atmosphere, it creates a great feeling of isolation and a literal "you're the last hope". The lack of story adds to this feeling of mystery and isolation. The music is also good, it just never plays other than boss fights, it feels as epic as the actual fights. Its true that the game is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, its about the difficulty I'd expect all games these days to be. For the record, I am primarily a PC gamer, and I still loved Demon's Souls. :)
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 waltefmoney

And I'm not saying DA is a bad game even though I don't like it. I'm responding to his statement that DS is a bad/mediocre game that would score 6.5/7 on PC ...

KiZZo1

Oh, sorry then.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 110million

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

Yes, I have a rebuttal. Everything you said is a biased opinion. Obviously it differs a lot from the majority of people who have rated this game as follows:

KiZZo1

9.5; 91.

No GOTY though. Tough luck ...

And I'm not saying DA is a bad game even though I don't like it. I'm responding to his statement that DS is a bad/mediocre game that would score 6.5/7 on PC ...

Yeah, GOTY doesn't just mean best in the genre for that year, but best overall game. Score is one opinion, GOTY is the consensus of all the reviewers on the site.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Maroxad

No RPG really compares to it in terms of combat. All major WRPGs suck ass in combat, stuff like oblivion and gothic have crap combat, JRPGs are more turned based, but action combat ones typically can't compare to demon's souls either. Each weapon acts differently, there is a lot of physics and weight to the weapons, how they react makes sense. I believe it excels in the combat like I mentioned as well as atmosphere, it creates a great feeling of isolation and a literal "you're the last hope". The lack of story adds to this feeling of mystery and isolation. The music is also good, it just never plays other than boss fights, it feels as epic as the actual fights. Its true that the game is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, its about the difficulty I'd expect all games these days to be. For the record, I am primarily a PC gamer, and I still loved Demon's Souls. :)110million

I disagree, I felt that both ranged, magic and miracles felt severely underworked and just downright poor.

Each to his own, but I feel that Turn Based Combat in general beats action combat for the RPG genre, and Dungeons and Dragons which has several WRPG adaptions, most which beats Demons Souls combat.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#174 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Dark Souls is going to have to be a massive step up from Demon's Souls to blow those two away. Don't get me wrong, I love DS, but that's a bold statement to say the least.

Twin-Blade

Why is it a bold statement? Is it too far fetched to claim that a spiritual successor to the GOTY 2009 is able to trump over.....let's see....a sequel to a game which wasn't even AAA, let alone GOTY? Skyrim is an equal contender, but not necessarily Witcher 2.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 110million

[QUOTE="110million"]No RPG really compares to it in terms of combat. All major WRPGs suck ass in combat, stuff like oblivion and gothic have crap combat, JRPGs are more turned based, but action combat ones typically can't compare to demon's souls either. Each weapon acts differently, there is a lot of physics and weight to the weapons, how they react makes sense. I believe it excels in the combat like I mentioned as well as atmosphere, it creates a great feeling of isolation and a literal "you're the last hope". The lack of story adds to this feeling of mystery and isolation. The music is also good, it just never plays other than boss fights, it feels as epic as the actual fights. Its true that the game is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, its about the difficulty I'd expect all games these days to be. For the record, I am primarily a PC gamer, and I still loved Demon's Souls. :)Maroxad

I disagree, I felt that both ranged, magic and miracles felt severely underworked and just downright poor.

Each to his own, but I feel that Turn Based Combat in general beats action combat for the RPG genre, and Dungeons and Dragons which has several WRPG adaptions, most which beats Demons Souls combat.

I used melee for 99% of the game, and thats what I was talking about. I never said action was better than turn based combat, I also prefer it, but very few games do good DnD systems these says, with bioware having ditched it for a very casual alternative, there is not much hope left for big budget dnd based games. I meant from RPGs that try for action combat, Demon's Souls is superior, at the very least in the way it was meant to be played, which is melee. The alternatives are button mashers or just generally crap.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 110million

[QUOTE="Twin-Blade"]

Dark Souls is going to have to be a massive step up from Demon's Souls to blow those two away. Don't get me wrong, I love DS, but that's a bold statement to say the least.

jhcho2

Why is it a bold statement? Is it too far fetched to claim that a spiritual successor to the GOTY 2009 is able to trump over.....let's see....a sequel to a game which wasn't even AAA, let alone GOTY? Skyrim is an equal contender, but not necessarily Witcher 2.

The Witcher 2 will be better than both. The first Witcher was the very first game from a new developer, they were using an old bioware engine, and were able to make a great game out of it, they fixed the majority of it for free and even added a lot of content, if it was reviewed later, it would have been a very easy AAA. The Witcher 2 will easily trounce Skyrim, and at the very least be better than Dark Souls.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Birdy09

I don't know what game you were describing, but it wasn't Demon's Souls.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Maroxad

I used melee for 99% of the game, and thats what I was talking about. I never said action was better than turn based combat, I also prefer it, but very few games do good DnD systems these says, with bioware having ditched it for a very casual alternative, there is not much hope left for big budget dnd based games. I meant from RPGs that try for action combat, Demon's Souls is superior, at the very least in the way it was meant to be played, which is melee. The alternatives are button mashers or just generally crap. 110million

Ahh, ok. I agree with you, the melee in Demons Souls is pure awesome, the second best melee combat in the ARPG genre imo. The melee in Demons Souls is only beaten by Mount and Blade, which I mentioned earlier in this thread but that is not a big budget game. I also complain about a lot of high budget titles, especially Bioware (and how they are dumbing down their already very simple rulesets glares at DA2).

Here is a hoping Dark Souls improves on both magic and archery from DS, it will be hard to top the melee combat that Demons Souls is using but if they succeed, I will be one very happy man.

Edit: I believe I misinterpreted a few of your words, mostly caused by discussing with someone else in this thread. Except he would also say that any combat system that uses a mouse as well as any system that is turn based sucks. Sorry for the inconvenience.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#179 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

So much WRPG talk..where are the JRPG threads? :x..anyways looking forward to Dark Souls

kholdstare61
I cant really think of any JRPGs I'm looking forward to besides Tales of Graces, Pokemon Black, Versus XIII, and maybe Final Fantasy XIII-2

Getting DQ IV and Tactic Ogre. Tales of Grace is a must of course, but there were a couple other titles coming to the U.S. that I wanted, but I can't remember the names.
Medic_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Medic_B
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

Mass Effect 3 owns all / Thread

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Birdy09

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

KiZZo1

9.5; 91.

No GOTY though. Tough luck ...

GOTY..... means absolutely nothing to anyone but the publishers, and even at the time it was conceived that they did it as a "Shocker" GOTY, out of nowhere meanwhile not many other websites, or critics gave it GOTY.... because it simple wasnt to many, because... like I said, sum of all of its parts were largely not captilized on, its that simple. and yea, as mentioned, Dragon Age has higher critical acclaim and user acclaim, so, it makes your point dedundant, but typical you would bring up "GOTY" because that is nothing more than a baised opinion of a group of reviewers trying to rack up more credibility by appealing to the "Hardcore" so called that actually believed this game was the "hardcore's bee's knees".

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

wow I guess it's hard for PC and 360 fans to accept that Japanese devs have passed Western devs in the genre they love the most, WRPG. Deal with it.

By holiday 2011, you soon will see what PS3 fans have known all along. Western devs should take note how the From Soft handle the combat mechanic and how they create masterpiece dark fantasy atmosphere

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 waltefmoney

wow I guess it's hard for PC and 360 fans to accept that Japanese devs have passed Western devs in the genre they love the most, WRPG. Deal with it.

By holiday 2011, you soon will see what PS3 fans have known all along. Western devs should take note how the From Soft handle the combat mechanic and how they create masterpiece dark fantasy atmosphere

-Damien-

1) Demon's Souls is a jRPG.
2) It's one game.
3) Even if you only look at Demon's Souls, it still hasn't passed some of the wRPG's of this gen.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#184 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="-Damien-"]

Critics, general consensus and things like that say otherwise...I love how the interenet lets the minority voice their opinions though.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

GOTY..... means absolutely nothing to anyone but the publishers, and even at the time it was conceived that they did it as a "Shocker" GOTY, out of nowhere meanwhile not many other websites, or critics gave it GOTY.... because it simple wasnt to many, because... like I said, sum of all of its parts were largely not captilized on, its that simple. and yea, as mentioned, Dragon Age has higher critical acclaim and user acclaim, so, it makes your point dedundant, but typical you would bring up "GOTY" because that is nothing more than a baised opinion of a group of reviewers trying to rack up more credibility by appealing to the "Hardcore" so called that actually believed this game was the "hardcore's bee's knees".

Birdy09

A lot of what you just said is pretty subjective. You know that reviewers artificially hyped and overscored DS to be a fact? I highly doubt that. Its fine if you didn't enjoy Demon's Souls - a lot of people didn't. That's a matter of personal taste, though, and can't really be made into any real quantifiable evidence.

Creator_Of_All

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Creator_Of_All
Member since 2011 • 483 Posts

[QUOTE="-Damien-"]

waltefmoney

2) It's one game.
3) Even if you only look at Demon's Souls, it still hasn't passed some of the wRPG's of this gen.

1. Hardly, looks and plays like a WRPG, even if was made in Japan

2. Now it is two and one is on both 360/PS3

3. It actually passes any WRPG in combat, gameplay and atmosphere, bosses and monster AI/implementation, balancing, fun

Not the best in story and there are no huge cities with NPCs etc, but Dark Souls seems to cover that as well this time, making for what could be the perfect RPG

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Birdy09
Ok I was being abit harsh. 6.5 to 7 is an understatement, maybe 8.0. But I still stand by it, console standards on an online rpg are much lower, how many do you have? 1-2? WRPG come out yearly on PC with these kind of implementations, do communication, co-op, competitive play much better and still get rated harsly, this would of met the same fate, or even worse. Oh yea sure, the ghosting is cool, and leaving messages. but I could jump into other peoples games 10 years ago, kill them or help them. "zomg teh ghost innovation" oh please..... something so minor (yet nice) is in no way amazing enough to sugur coat the increidble lack luster PvP/Co-Op options and variety, or any sort of proper control over it at all. Atmoshphere was standard for these kind of games. the only thing that made it more so was the difficulty. Move-sets are limited, oh sure you can practically learn everything, only ofcourse if you had any sense would just max one or 2 things and 2 shot every player eventually, or focus on knock off spells. Online, the allignment system was CONFIRMED broken, for absolutely months, effecting your "perfect" game for no reason other than a failure of a system. To get what you needed you had to be offline mode a good deal of the time, which defeated the purpose. Oh I could go on, but its ok, "best JRPG WRPG WANNABE EVER blah blah..." such low standards.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 waltefmoney

3. It actually passes any WRPG in combat, gameplay and atmosphere, bosses and monster AI/implementation, balancing, fun

Not the best in story and there are no huge cities with NPCs etc, but Dark Souls seems to cover that as well this time, making for what could be the perfect RPG

Creator_Of_All

1) Still a jRPG.
2) The second one is not Demon's Souls, it's Dark Souls, and it's not released yet.
3) Not really.

Demon's Souls is an amazing game. But better than any wRPG? Come on people.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Birdy09

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]GOTY..... means absolutely nothing to anyone but the publishers, and even at the time it was conceived that they did it as a "Shocker" GOTY, out of nowhere meanwhile not many other websites, or critics gave it GOTY.... because it simple wasnt to many, because... like I said, sum of all of its parts were largely not captilized on, its that simple. and yea, as mentioned, Dragon Age has higher critical acclaim and user acclaim, so, it makes your point dedundant, but typical you would bring up "GOTY" because that is nothing more than a baised opinion of a group of reviewers trying to rack up more credibility by appealing to the "Hardcore" so called that actually believed this game was the "hardcore's bee's knees".

clone01

A lot of what you just said is pretty subjective. You know that reviewers artificially hyped and overscored DS to be a fact? I highly doubt that. Its fine if you didn't enjoy Demon's Souls - a lot of people didn't. That's a matter of personal taste, though, and can't really be made into any real quantifiable evidence.

Im not saying they gave it artificial scores, im saying Gamespot chose it as GOTY to impress. and it quite clearly worked, subjective yes, but other sites not following suit suggests its in my favour.
-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 -Damien-

We shall see, we shall see.

Back in 2009, Dragon Age was hyped through the highest roof, masterpiece RPG, successor to Baldurs Gate blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Development and marketing budget was in the billions.

No one talked about Demon's Souls at all. Then Demon's Souls came, became RPG of the Year, GOTY and kicked Dragon Age's ass so hard that no one cares for DA2 anymore.

And Dark Souls will do the same thing. Why? simple, it's the better game. If you've played Demon's Souls, you'd know the combat mechanic is miles ahead with what The Witcher 2 and Skyrim have to offer. The animation is better, the atmosphere is better, the difficulty is better (difficult but fair and balanced)

Watch Dark Souls trailer and watch Witcher 2 gameplay trailer, you're in denial if you think Witcher 2 has better combat. The combat animation is lacking, there's no sense of weight and momentum, There's no concept of stunned frames, follow-through frames, recovery frames, invincible frames. The roll animation sucks, etc, etc, etc.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 waltefmoney

Back in 2009, Dragon Age was hyped through the highest roof, masterpiece RPG, successor to Baldurs Gate blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Development and marketing budget was in the billions.

No one talked about Demon's Souls at all. Then Demon's Souls came, became RPG of the Year, GOTY and kicked Dragon Age's ass so hard that no one cares for DA2 anymore.

-Damien-

Again..

9.5; 91.

waltefmoney

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Birdy09

And Dark Souls will do the same thing. Why? simple, it's the better game. If you've played Demon's Souls, you'd know the combat mechanic is miles ahead with what The Witcher 2 and Skyrim have to offer. The animation is better, the atmosphere is better, the difficulty is better (difficult but fair and balanced)

Watch Dark Souls trailer and watch Witcher 2 gameplay trailer, you're in denial if you think Witcher 2 has better combat. The combat animation is lacking, there's no sense of weight and momentum, There's no concept of stunned frames, follow-through frames, recovery frames, invincible frames. The roll animation sucks, etc, etc, etc.

-Damien-

Oh your right, it did beat out Dragon Age, but then, Dragon Age still did many things better than it, just not combat and online play, 2 very rare things on Concole RPGs, so it got the level of credit that it did.

1) You havnt seen anything of Skyrims combat.

2) Demon Souls had goodish combat, but it was so limited it mayaswell have been a slow paced hack and slash with added tidbits of RPG progression shoved in.

3) how on earth can you say the animations of that stiff low production game will be better than A) a game you have seen no fottage of yet. B) The Witcher 2, which has amazing animations?

Oh you mean, combat animations? yes well, the one game is a hack n slash rpg, the other is a spreadsheet traditional rpg, so you definition of better is subjective on preference of subgenre. meaning, pointless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 190586385885857957282413308806

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="-Damien-"]

Creator_Of_All

2) It's one game.

1) doesn't matter. Still a JRPG

3) Combat I would give this to either Mount and Blade or Demon Souls. AI? Like how the first boss you run into you can lure over to a pit and watch him run off to his death? Or do you mean AI like every boss has a pattern (actually the opposite of AI because simple behaviors and tells are being programmed into the character)...Fun? Is that something that is quanifiable now across the board because if it is you should tell the whole bunch of critics that rated games like Dragon Age that year higher and tell them to take away all the RPG, GOTY awards that game won..which end up being more than Demons Souls won that year.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 clone01
Im not saying they gave it artificial scores, im saying Gamespot chose it as GOTY to impress. and it quite clearly worked, subjective yes, but other sites not following suit suggests its in my favour.Birdy09
Or the reviewers here thought it deserved Game of the Year. I think you're making an assumption that it was merely done to impress. Again, its personal taste. A review is simply an opinion. Other opinions will differ. DS scored an 89 on metacritic, an indication that some reviewers and sites disagree. However there are quite a few reviews out of the 81 that place it at 90 to 100. So I guess we'll just have to disagree at this point.
-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 -Damien-

[QUOTE="-Damien-"]

Birdy09

Oh your right, it did beat out Dragon Age, but then, Dragon Age still did many things better than it, just not combat and online play, 2 very rare things on Concole RPGs, so it got the level of credit that it did.

1) You havnt seen anything of Skyrims combat.

2) Demon Souls had goodish combat, but it was so limited it mayaswell have been a slow paced hack and slash with added tidbits of RPG progression shoved in.

3) how on earth can you say the animations of that stiff low production game will be better than A) a game you have seen no fottage of yet. B) The Witcher 2, which has amazing animations?

Oh you mean, combat animations? yes well, the one game is a hack n slash rpg, the other is a spreadsheet traditional rpg, so you definition of better is subjective on preference of subgenre. meaning, pointless.

yes there are W2 gameplay videos floating around somewhere. The animation is terrible, though it's better than DA2 animation, but that's not saying much

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 waltefmoney

waltefmoney, you're stupid if you don't think EA marketing budget had anything to do with that. Those millions of dollars ahve to go somewhere.

Wanna see Demon's Souls marketing budget, how bout $0.00

heck even Sony refused to publish this game. It lived off on words of mouth alone

-Damien-

It was published by Sony in Japan. Namco in Europe. Atlus in the US. As for the marketing budget, link?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 clone01

And Dark Souls will do the same thing. Why? simple, it's the better game. If you've played Demon's Souls, you'd know the combat mechanic is miles ahead with what The Witcher 2 and Skyrim have to offer. -Damien-

Where did you get your time machine?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="-Damien-"]

DA is rated critically higher by professional gamers and gamers themselves. Also If you look at the awards each game won, Dragon Age has come through with more awards so I don't know where you're getting your facts from. Watch The Witcher 2's trailer and watch Dark Souls Trailer. You're in denial if you think that Dark Souls has better Characters, Dialogue, Story, Choices and Consequences. Not everyone plays an RPG for its combat and sadly, outside of combat, Dark Souls doesn't have much going for it.
-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 -Damien-

This is W2 latest gameplay video. I mean look at the animation, what kind of dodge-roll is that? look at the monster animation, are they on rails? especially the large spider at the end

Then look atmosphere. Bright colors for dark fantasy, really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXfsvKGIFDI&t=286s