Crytek:next consoles are for the first time ever not going to be beyond the PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Oh Crytek how you love to just talk and talk.

"I think the next console generation is going to be more a mix of the top devs - they'll be much more PC-driven this time around," Yerli told us in issue 97, on sale now. "In fact, I believe - oh, I can't talk more about that. Let's say this: PC devs will be much more comfortable than last gen console devs.

"Last gen, the move from PS2 to PS3, or Xbox to Xbox 360, for many devs was back-breaking," he explained. "But for us going to Xbox 360, we had to work backward, we had to bring down all our tech to make it happen. As opposed to finding ourselves in that situation with today's PC... I'm already talking too much."

Yerli went onto state that "the next gen consoles are, for the first time ever, not going to be beyond the PC generation". This tallies with what we know of PS4, which CVG has deemed a "posh-ish PC". Microsoft has yet to reveal specifications for its next console, of course, but you're welcome to knock your head against some rumoured specs.Crytek
http://www.oxm.co.uk/51150/crytek-pc-devs-have-the-advantage-over-xbox-360-devs-on-next-gen-consoles/

While I do hate how they keep poking at the situation lately and seem to try drum up some drama there is at least some truth to what he says. This is the first time consoles and PC have ever been (or will be) so alike. No longer will PC devs have to make as much compromises to get there stuff on consoles, it's not as big a downgrade or architectural change as before.

Personally I look forward to seeing how multiplat games get on next gen. They will truly benefit the most I think

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

tormentos will just love that. I've seen him quote Crytek, quite a bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-59b71619573a1

lundy86_4

Yeah cos what more threads need is more Tormentos :roll: Let's hope he didn't see it lol

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DropsofJupiter
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts
It really doesn't matter anymore. All we need are great games, it looks like all the next gen systems that we know of so far are primed to deliver those. I really could not care less about engaging in an e peen measuring contest.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Difference in graphics will probably be marginal.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

As annoyinh as Crytek is lately this is true although in the PS3s case PC beat it significantly in 3 days before it's launch 8800GTX :)

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Next gen console are pretty much just locked down PCs with worse prices for games. Gen 9 will probably just be various PCs with digital distribution from each publishers all on the same box

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

seanmcloughlin

Yeah cos what more threads need is more Tormentos :roll: Let's hope he didn't see it lol

I'm really hoping so :P

Anyways, on topic... It makes sense. SLI/Crossfire are becoming drastically more popular, as well as multiple GPUs on a single chipset.

People need to stop looking for consoles to compete with the PC on a hardware level. Personally, i'm not overly bothered about the disparity in visuals, though I do like looking at the PC maxing out some games :D

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4  Online

nitekids2004

Define "marginal".

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

[QUOTE="Crytek"]"I think the next console generation is going to be more a mix of the top devs - they'll be much more PC-driven this time around," Yerli told us in issue 97, on sale now. "In fact, I believe - oh, I can't talk more about that. Let's say this: PC devs will be much more comfortable than last gen console devs.

"Last gen, the move from PS2 to PS3, or Xbox to Xbox 360, for many devs was back-breaking," he explained. "But for us going to Xbox 360, we had to work backward, we had to bring down all our tech to make it happen. As opposed to finding ourselves in that situation with today's PC... I'm already talking too much."

Yerli went onto state that "the next gen consoles are, for the first time ever, not going to be beyond the PC generation". This tallies with what we know of PS4, which CVG has deemed a "posh-ish PC". Microsoft has yet to reveal specifications for its next console, of course, but you're welcome to knock your head against some rumoured specs.seanmcloughlin

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51150/crytek-pc-devs-have-the-advantage-over-xbox-360-devs-on-next-gen-consoles/

While I do hate how they keep poking at the situation lately and seem to try drum up some drama there is at least some truth to what he says. This is the first time consoles and PC have ever been (or will be) so alike. No longer will PC devs have to make as much compromises to get there stuff on consoles, it's not as big a downgrade or architectural change as before.

Personally I look forward to seeing how multiplat games get on next gen. They will truly benefit the most I think

Multi plat games will always be better on PC anyway.  That won't ever change but this just means that console ports will be better on PC this Gen.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Multi plat games will always be better on PC anyway.  That won't ever change but this just means that console ports will be better on PC this Gen.  

NFJSupreme

Of course, but sometimes they're extremely shoddy ports. Having such similar architecture across all platforms will makes things far easier and maybe console ports to PC (cos most are that way) will actually be better this time round.

But that's all wishful thinking

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Developers should be seen working hard and not heard. When the game is done then we'll talk. At least my wallet does the talking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

seanmcloughlin

lmfao that icon cracks me up
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nitekids2004

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

lundy86_4

Define "marginal".

PC would have better graphics, but not so much that it looks one-gen leap ahead. 

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

seanmcloughlin

Of course, but sometimes they're extremely shoddy ports. Having such similar architecture across all platforms will makes things far easier and maybe console ports to PC (cos most are that way) will actually be better this time round.

But that's all wishful thinking

Yeah poor console ports should be a thing of the past nextgen. PC players should be excited.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

Define "marginal".

PC would have better graphics, but not so much that it looks one-gen leap ahead. 

Of course not, people even exaggerate now with the whole gen ahead leap with current systems and PC. 

As long as console ports run better next gen I'll be happy as they will naturally look good as a by product of better hardware. But this gen console ports run rather poorly at times

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Developers should be seen working hard and not heard. When the game is done then we'll talk. At least my wallet does the talking.

jun_aka_pekto

Well said, Crytek should be making better games rather than making one and thinking everyone will love it and then running their mouth off after

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Im almost positive that crytek keep journalist hostage so they can keep reporting on crytek.
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

No kidding, and considering Nvidia and AMD will probably be releasing new GPUs by the end of the year, his statements will have even more truth to them. 

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

seanmcloughlin

Well said, Crytek should be making better games rather than making one and thinking everyone will love it and then running their mouth off after

sucks they decided to quit on making that Redemption game it looked pretty interesting

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
Who cares.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

NoodleFighter

sucks they decided to quit on making that Redemption game it looked pretty interesting

Crytek have been banging on about the F2P model for a while now. I remember them saying that they plan to move to away from the standard $60 title completely.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

clyde46

Crytek have been banging on about the F2P model for a while now. I remember them saying that they plan to move to away from the standard $60 title completely.

At least they left their tech out for others to use

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

NoodleFighter

At least they left their tech out for others to use

The F2P model does make more money over time compared to the standard $60 model. Just look at LoL for example.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

Define "marginal".

I can see that, though I wouldn't define it as "marginal", personally. Assume that PC games can likely pump out at least twice the resolution and fps, with a notable jump in assets. Worthy of a whole generation? No.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#26 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Ever?

PC in 2000:

242038-quake32007_07_1019_10_59_73.jpg

PS2 in 2000:

376532-6995_4_2.jpg

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Ever?

PC in 2000:

242038-quake32007_07_1019_10_59_73.jpg

PS2 in 2000:

376532-6995_4_2.jpg

Cherokee_Jack
I remember renting a ps2 with unreal tournament to compare to the pc version side by side. Many lulz ensued.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts
[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

clyde46

Then they will certainly go bankrupt.F2P makes money by micro transactions.No one is gonna pay money for a crytek game.People will download it to see the graphics,play for a few hours,and then never start the game again.(Seriously,who the heck would play Warface when games like Tribes and PLanetside 2 are available?)
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

call_of_duty_10

Then they will certainly go bankrupt.F2P makes money by micro transactions.No one is gonna pay money for a crytek game.People will download it to see the graphics,play for a few hours,and then never start the game again.(Seriously,who the heck would play Warface when games like Tribes and PLanetside 2 are available?)

Well, as someone who has actually played Warface (got into the closed beta), I can say that what Warface offers is really just a very different FPS experience than PS2 and Tribes, both amazing games in their own right. Warface is very very much a Call of Duty style FPS--small maps, close spawns, no vehicles, twitch based gameplay with little strategy. A better game to compare it to would be Blacklight Retribution. I thought both games were good, though and I can see Warface building up a decent user base. 

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NoodleFighter

call_of_duty_10

WarFace is pretty popular in Russia and managed to get over 5 million players.

Sucks if what ever their game Crytek Austin studio (AKA former Vigil devs) had in mind doesn't really work well with the F2p model

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

[QUOTE="Crytek"]"I think the next console generation is going to be more a mix of the top devs - they'll be much more PC-driven this time around," Yerli told us in issue 97, on sale now. "In fact, I believe - oh, I can't talk more about that. Let's say this: PC devs will be much more comfortable than last gen console devs.

Yerli went onto state that "the next gen consoles are, for the first time ever, not going to be beyond the PC generation". This tallies with what we know of PS4, which CVG has deemed a "posh-ish PC". Microsoft has yet to reveal specifications for its next console, of course, but you're welcome to knock your head against some rumoured specs.seanmcloughlin

Yeah not a fan of these Crytek tards. Every week I see a news story of them saying something negative about console gaming.

If they don't like it, they don't have to agree to develop and release any other there games on consoles. That's Hippocratic.

I think they are scared right now of the new engines or something that has do do with consoles. It makes since to why lately they been console bashing. Maybe they already know they are going to get the short end of the stick, just like Nvidia is crying right now about Sony and MS.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

As annoyinh as Crytek is lately this is true although in the PS3s case PC beat it significantly in 3 days before it's launch 8800GTX :)

NoodleFighter

NVIDIA was trolling Sony during PS3's launch window.

Back in around 2006 time period, NVidia was actively comparing it's Geforce CUDA solution against the others which includes CELL's SPE.

FP_compare-1.jpg

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Crytek scared because they know next gen console game engines might make there CryEngine 3 look like crap.

Crytek just STFU we already know you are PC fanboys. Why even allow your games to come out on consoles if all you do is bash consoles. Ungrateful much?

Stop spouting crap out.

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Yerli went onto state that "the next gen consoles are, for the first time ever, not going to be beyond the PC generation". This tallies with what we know of PS4, which CVG has deemed a "posh-ish PC". Microsoft has yet to reveal specifications for its next console, of course, but you're welcome to knock your head against some rumoured specs.Mrmedia01

someone's mad

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NoodleFighter

lol Tormentos is nowhere to be found

stayhigh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stayhigh1
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

yawn..why dont they actually make good games that is fun to play  with teh amazing graphics coming from the all mighty powerful pc then we can talk..I bet you PS4 can produce the same graphics as Crysis 3

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
Ok.
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

And yet PC's gen will be defined by the scraps and crumbs that will fall from Xbox's plate. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib

And yet PC's gen will be defined by the scraps and crumbs that will fall from Xbox's plate. 

Pray_to_me

Nope

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

When Crytek starts making games again instead of tech demos or F2P MP grinders, I'll listen.

Til then:  ,.|..    ..|.,

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 faizan_faizan

Pray_to_me
http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/27/watch-dogs-pc-is-lead-platform/
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

faizan_faizan

that is wonderful news

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 faizan_faizan

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

lostrib

that is wonderful news

This gen will be different.
jimmyrussle117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jimmyrussle117
Member since 2012 • 850 Posts

Difference in graphics will probably be massive.

nitekids2004

Good point, just like this gen.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/27/watch-dogs-pc-is-lead-platform/faizan_faizan

that is wonderful news

Not really. PC games will still sell millions less on multiplats. PS4 and Xbox will still be the lead platforms most of the times. Games will stop be unoptimized for PC...

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

that is wonderful news

StrongBlackVine

Not really. PC games will still sell millions less on multiplats. PS4 and Xbox will still be the lead platforms most of the times. Games will stop be unoptimized for PC...

Then it´s a good thing that the PC community will still like always be fcoused on buying exclusive games,just a quick look at the best selling PC games of all time and pretty much all of them are either PC exclusives or were exclusives when they came out,it´s similar to how nintendo games are the ones that sell the most,not multiplats. And regardless of next gen consols being built with AMD hardware it will be a great improvement on multiplats,not just because you can get AMD hardware for the PC but even if you go with NVIDIA it doesnt matter,look at the 360 this gen and you´ll see what I mean,being AMD or NVIDIA means nothing,the issue was when consoles had proprietary hardware but now that that´s a thing of the past,it´s great news for the PC. And multiplats have been increasingly selling more and more over the years,in the 90´s and early 2000´s multiplats barely sold anything oj the PC but now,there´s a ton of them that are multipla million sellers and even quite a few that sold better on the PC,something unthinkable 10 years or so before. Not only the optimization wi9ll be even better but the support for PC gaming will be stronger than ever.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It really doesn't matter anymore. All we need are great games, it looks like all the next gen systems that we know of so far are primed to deliver those. I really could not care less about engaging in an e peen measuring contest.DropsofJupiter
I completely agree with this sentiment, the problem is we've seen nothing that's well, using the hardware to push games in new directions. Just shiner production values so far, which in a sense is the same old epeen stuff we always see.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nitekids2004

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]It really doesn't matter anymore. All we need are great games, it looks like all the next gen systems that we know of so far are primed to deliver those. I really could not care less about engaging in an e peen measuring contest.skrat_01
I completely agree with this sentiment, the problem is we've seen nothing that's well, using the hardware to push games in new directions. Just shiner production values so far, which in a sense is the same old epeen stuff we always see.

Let's wait for what Naughty Gods would do on the PS4. Or Santa Monica. 

SentientMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SentientMind
Member since 2013 • 361 Posts

While most people act like Crytek doesn't have any credibility any more, I have to disagree on one point. Crytek said that Crysis 3 would be pc centered, and would push pc. They definitely delivered in this area. On a maxed out pc, the game's visuals are unbelievable.

With that said, I feel like Crytek missed the mark in other area's. The game's length was decent, but it felt incomplete. The first half of the game was great. But from the massive dune buggy level on, it seemed like Crytek lost their footing, the 6th level was great though, so it wasn't all bad.

Anyways though, the pc will start ahead of consoles this gen, and from there it will continue to get better. So what he is saying is right. Still, Crytek talks to much for their own good.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

For the cutting-edge graphics engine developers they are, CryTek sure talk smack...

Newsflash: consoles *never* were stronger than PCs.

Even in the 80s there existed computers like the Commodore Amiga and Sharp X68000 which were beyond consoles.

It's impossible for a console to outpower a computer simply because it has to have compromised hardware to keep down the costs.

On the PC, there are no price and upgrade restrictions, so obviously a 2000 dollar PC will always outdo a sub-599 dollar console.

Infact, this is pretty much common logic.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

crysis 3 doesnt even have tesellation lol it's not pushing pc.