Console graphics king vs console exclusives (why exclude PC?)

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SW_modified

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SW_modified
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts
I've been here for 1 full day and I've watched over SW for a few months now. One of the things I've noticed is the use of the term console graphics king. Console graphics king- a game that has the best graphics on consoles (excludes PC) Console exclusive- PC/360, PC/PS3 multiplats (excludes PC) Can you see where I'm going with this? Both terms exclude the PC. Console exclusives aren't brought up anyway and that is not my main point. People say something can't be a multiplat and exclusive at the same time because this is SYSTEM WARS not CONSOLE WARS. Therefore, the PC must be considered. People continue to argue this issue however. Allow me to follow up with this question: if this in fact SYSTEM WARS and not CONSOLE WARS, why is the PC ignored when discussing graphics kings? "PC doesn't count because it always wins" -_- That is the only defense for the console graphics kings. Now I present you wih this ultimatum: either include the PC in everything or ignore when we're only comparing consoles.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

When it comes to graphics king, PC gamers will always bring up Crysis sooner or later and it just kills any potential argument.

Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
PC will always have the best graphics. It's just another little example of the hypocrisy of this place.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="comeonthehoops"]PC will always have the best graphics. It's just another little example of the hypocrisy of this place.

PC has the best graphics, there is no argument in it. it would just be a thread of people going "Yeah, PC games look good...."
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

When it comes to graphics king, PC gamers will always bring up Crysis sooner or later and it just kills any potential argument.

kingdre
bascially yea. bring the PC in and there is no debate. crysis is the best looking games this gen and wil continue to be the best looking game this gen until its end (unless cryengine 3 actually makes new PCs sweat..but then the PC version of crysis2 will be the best looking games this gen)..at least from a technical perspective. i think members of SW get the picture. as for the multiplats...its also accepted that the PC version of any mutiplat looks better simply due to higher resolutions and more AA and AF...though the difference usually isnt huge. but again i think SW gets the picture on the PC front...when it comes to graphics the PC is the leader. theres no room for debate at all.
10thwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 10thwonder
Member since 2009 • 2031 Posts

Yup ^, and if I could swap out the hardware in my console to keep up with the times and make it "da graphikz keeng" then maybe I'd consider the PC in system wars, but the fact that everyone's PC is different and that consoles have the same hardware, and stay the same for the life of the product (minus small SKU differences), it eliminates PC's from most arguments.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

kingdre

Any 360 or PS3 thread that discusses graphics will always be flooded with Crysis pictures, whether the term "graphics king" is used or not. The Uncharted 2 thread on the first page; dude just wants to talk about how awesome Uncharted 2 looks (which it does), but within 3 posts Crysis is brought up. It's like clockwork.

whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

Another reason for this is because..... PC is not a set piece of hardware..... everyones system is different so you can show all the Crysis Pics you want, but most people are gonna see that if they boot the game up.

EVERYONE however my 360 produces the same visuals as any other 360 owner.... same with PS3 and Wii.... so a discussion between consoles is much more interesting. Most people that post those Crysis pics probably aren't even running it on their rig, its just a pic from some random site. Which is kinda hilarious..... "Hey everyone look what the PC can do" *posts pic, then goes back to playing COD4 on med. settings @ 24fps.*

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
the pc isnt a console thats why its a system
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

kingdre
so? if all you really care about is graphics consoles are not for you. pc had x360 beat 6 months before it came out and the geforce 8 series came out just before ps3 with 4 times the ps3's power.
mcgreddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mcgreddy
Member since 2009 • 294 Posts

The problem comparing console exclusives such as Gears of War 1 is unfair because the PC can do GOD LIKE graphics,and how would we know that the pic posted is of PC/360 ?

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

Another reason for this is because..... PC is not a set piece of hardware..... everyones system is different so you can show all the Crysis Pics you want, but most people are gonna see that if they boot the game up.

EVERYONE however my 360 produces the same visuals as any other 360 owner.... same with PS3 and Wii.... so a discussion between consoles is much more interesting. Most people that post those Crysis pics probably aren't even running it on their rig, its just a pic from some random site. Which is kinda hilarious..... "Hey everyone look what the PC can do" *posts pic, then goes back to playing COD4 on med. settings @ 24fps.*

whatisazerg
yet pc hardware from 2005 can run cod4 better than consoles in 600p :lol: heck a 7800gt can run it in 1280 x 1024 on medium settings (console settings) sure all pcs don't run them the same but any "gaming pc" from 2006 or newer leaves any consoles game in the dust. gta4 is a horrible port yet a 7800gt can still run it on console settings and can run crysis looking much better than any console game. your just making excuses so you can leave pc games out of the picture to fight for second place.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
People just want to see which console has the best graphics, there's nothing wrong with console graphics king threads. But it's guaranteed at least one person will enter those threads and say: "HEY GUYZ, LOOK HOW AWESOME CRYSIS LOOKS EVEN THOUGH THIS THREAD IS CLEARLY ABOUT CONSOLES LOLOLOLOL!!!!111!"
mcgreddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mcgreddy
Member since 2009 • 294 Posts
[QUOTE="whatisazerg"]

imprezawrx500
yet pc hardware from 2005 can run cod4 better than consoles in 600p :lol: heck a 7800gt can run it in 1280 x 1024 on medium settings (console settings) sure all pcs don't run them the same but any "gaming pc" from 2006 or newer leaves any consoles game in the dust. gta4 is a horrible port yet a 7800gt can still run it on console settings and can run crysis looking much better than any console game. your just making excuses so you can leave pc games out of the picture to fight for second place.

His point is very true you know...There are alot of PC wannabes sitting out their with Geforce 6200 LE and come over claiming "Look what my PC can do" *posts picture of crysis on very high 16xAA and 16xAF ....
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
[QUOTE="whatisazerg"]

imprezawrx500

CoD4 is a bad example because it runs at 60 FPS and doesnt really look very good anyway.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
If you care about graphics play PC games, if you don't then look for the system with the best games for you. If you start a graphics scuffle Crysis pics will be posted to shut you guys up with your hypocrisy. It's not like theres a massive difference between Uncharted and GoW, but there is between say MGS4 and Crysis Warhead or STALKER tweaked and modded. Argue about some other aspect, graphics is taken.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Same reason the Wii is constantly brought up in sales talk. The unfortunate position Lemmings and Cows are in this generation is that all traditional criteria for proclaiming a system winner; graphics, sales, exclusive library, do not apply to their systems.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I don't see why you care.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

The best answer to the OT's question is that console graphics quality falls under the category of 'playable graphics' with a minimum of 30 fps. However for the PC, how good the graphics are depend to much on how good your hardware is. If we take Crysis for example, the graphics can be average for an average PC, good for a high end PC, and photorealistic for a supercomputer. People even go as far as posting photorealistic screenshots which are only achievable when using SandBox, which would run at a mere 10 fps on 95% of the home PCs in the world. That is not a fair comparison, merely ramping up the graphics and ignoring whether it is even playable to begin with.

Exclusion of PC in graphics argument brings in the aspect of practicality. Since all console hardware is standard, what we see in screenshots is what is playable, and with the same performance for everyone. And since graphics consist of textures, lighting, resolution, and anti-aliasing, comparing virtually any console game to almost any PC game would be like trying to walk through a concrete wall. An average looking game like Fear 2 would look miles better than a fundamentally better looking game like Gears or Killzone 2 for a simple fact that the PC can run games at 1920x1280, ultra high texture quality, and godly 16XAA. But we know, for an apple to apple comparison, no way is Fear 2 even close to Gears or Killzone, from a technical standpoint. And you would have PC fanboys bombarding console graphics threads and showing off their ultra high quality screenshots merely because of the resolution.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Danm_999
People even go as far as posting photorealistic screenshots which are only achievable when using SandBox, which would run at a mere 10 fps on 95% of the home PCs in the world. jhcho2
We aren't talking about PCs in general of course, but gaming PCs, which outsell all next-generation consoles.
godofwar2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 godofwar2610
Member since 2008 • 577 Posts
No Crysis pics yet?
MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MegajerkNYC
Member since 2009 • 505 Posts

We don't bring up PC gaming because PC gaming is dead. Even MS won't port Fable 2, Halo 3, or Gears 2 to PC. What's the point of having a super gaming rig to play year old 360 ports (if they even do port it). Better stick to World of Warcraft.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

Console and PC are different. You cant compare 2 different things like this. System Wars yes...Console wars NO...A console is a console...Thats it. Since I play my games on console I could care less what PC has to offer...There is NOTHING a pc can offer me to get me to switch over...NOTHING...Period.

shanokano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 shanokano
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts
[QUOTE="SW_modified"]I've been here for 1 full day and I've watched over SW for a few months now. One of the things I've noticed is the use of the term console graphics king. Console graphics king- a game that has the best graphics on consoles (excludes PC) Console exclusive- PC/360, PC/PS3 multiplats (excludes PC) Can you see where I'm going with this? Both terms exclude the PC. Console exclusives aren't brought up anyway and that is not my main point. People say something can't be a multiplat and exclusive at the same time because this is SYSTEM WARS not CONSOLE WARS. Therefore, the PC must be considered. People continue to argue this issue however. Allow me to follow up with this question: if this in fact SYSTEM WARS and not CONSOLE WARS, why is the PC ignored when discussing graphics kings? "PC doesn't count because it always wins" -_- That is the only defense for the console graphics kings. Now I present you wih this ultimatum: either include the PC in everything or ignore when we're only comparing consoles.

sorry but i don't see the point of this topic, anybody with a common sense knows that a pc which allows you to upgrade your components like your vga, cpu, motherboards, ram, etc... will always come on top compared to any consoles games! unless they are still little kids and believe the hype of the ps3 and its power of the cell. that's if the developers don't downgrade the pc version and even if they do have a 3 way multi-platform games like call of duty 4: modern warfare, the pc version is better the consoles. so with you making this topic 99.99% of people will say the pc will be king of graphics in any way or term.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Danm_999

We don't bring up PC gaming because PC gaming is dead. Even MS won't port Fable 2, Halo 3, or Gears 2 to PC. What's the point of having a super gaming rig to play year old 360 ports (if they even do port it). Better stick to World of Warcraft.

MegajerkNYC

I dunno, to play the PC's larger library of exclusives?

As for PC gaming being dead...

MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MegajerkNYC

[QUOTE="MegajerkNYC"]

Danm_999

Oh you mean WoW and Guild Wars? Keep that.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#29 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

Console and PC are different. You cant compare 2 different things like this. System Wars yes...Console wars NO...A console is a console...Thats it. Since I play my games on console I could care less what PC has to offer...There is NOTHING a pc can offer me to get me to switch over...NOTHING...Period.

FunkyHeadHunter

Maybe because you don't care about graphics at all, but a lot of us here do.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts
[QUOTE="whatisazerg"]

Best post I've seen in years :) And most definitly the truth.
Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="MegajerkNYC"]

MegajerkNYC

We mean any good multiplat, i.e. MW2, Assassins' Creed II, L4D2, MGS Rising, SC Conviction, CoD4, CoD2, GTA IV (I KNOW IT SUCKS, BUT IT STILL EXISTS)...

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="MegajerkNYC"]

MegajerkNYC

No, I don't. Please read the article.

For example, 42 million desktops and 31 million notebooks were estimated sold for gaming last year alone. I doubt those would be to service 2004 software.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Danm_999

The PC isnt a console.

But theres always that D-bag that brings up the PC....eventhought he/she knows it isnt a console.

Lovely :roll:

tonitorsi
The original question is, why do you people insert the qualifier 'console' when this is 'System Wars'.
steve17989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 steve17989
Member since 2006 • 1020 Posts

It's because the PC is so far ahead in graphics and exclusives, it would auto-win those threads. Cutting the PC out is necessary to fight for second place. Also, I'm sure the majority of people who post Crysis screenshots have taken them from their own PC. We are on a gaming forum, after all.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
[QUOTE="kingdre"]

imprezawrx500
so? if all you really care about is graphics consoles are not for you. pc had x360 beat 6 months before it came out and the geforce 8 series came out just before ps3 with 4 times the ps3's power.

This is why there is a graphics king for consoles. Any self-respecting gamer knows that Crysis is the best looking game to date. Which is exactly why console gamers leave it out: there's no point in arguing it. At least when it comes to consoles, there's a chance to actually have an argument about which looks better.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

The PC isnt a console.

But theres always that D-bag that brings up the PC....eventhought he/she knows it isnt a console.

tonitorsi
Actually, if one were to use proper english vernacular, the PC would be a console.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

The PC really is a thorn in the side of the console fanbois. Really, it's the same reason that Halo 3 is still brought up.

aggrevating or not, ownage is ownage.....

Here's a Crysis screen for good measure:

Bottom line, if you can start up the game and take a random screenshot like this, it's quite hard not to use it as System Wars ammo.

You can see my framerate in the top right corner if you're in doubt wether or not it's playable (although, I'm ready to admit it's 25-35 fps like this).

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="whatisazerg"]

mcgreddy

His point is very true you know...There are alot of PC wannabes sitting out their with Geforce 6200 LE and come over claiming "Look what my PC can do" *posts picture of crysis on very high 16xAA and 16xAF ....

Whether it is their pictures or not THAT iswhat Crysis is able to accomplish...so what is your point?

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Filthybastrd

And honestly..... Having two factions nitpicking at eachother over very minor differences in multiplats makes it very tempting to pull out the good old Crysis card.

I would'nt complain too much if I was trying to claim superiority based on textures seen through a sniper scope at 1 yards range. Yes that was an exaggeration.

MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MegajerkNYC

The PC really is a thorn in the side of the console fanbois. Really, it's the same reason that Halo 3 is still brought up.

Bottom line, if you can start up the game and take a random screenshot like this, it's quite hard not to use it as System Wars ammo.

You can see my framerate in the top right corner if you're in doubt wether or not it's playable (although, I'm ready to admit it's 25-35 fps like this).

Filthybastrd

That supposed to impress? Triangular palm trees? Looks like Guild Wars with extra lighting. PC gaming is a waste of time and money.

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

The PC isnt a console.

The original question is, why do you people insert the qualifier 'console' when this is 'System Wars'.

Because, 'consoles' are a subset of 'systems' which legitimizes its discussion in a "system wars" forum.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

kingdre
I don't even have to bring up Crysis, I bring up S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Empire Total War, the X3 series, World in Conflict... then if all else fails Crysis.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

MegajerkNYC

That supposed to impress? Triangular palm trees? Looks like Guild Wars with extra lighting. PC gaming is a waste of time and money.

Yet, this is a random screenshot and it beats most console bullshots.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AAllxxjjnn

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]The PC really is a thorn in the side of the console fanbois. Really, it's the same reason that Halo 3 is still brought up. aggrevating or not, ownage is Here's a Crysis screen for good measure:Bottom line, if you can start up the game and take a random screenshot like this, it's quite hard not to use it as System Wars ammo.You can see my framerate in the top right corner if you're in doubt wether or not it's playable (although, I'm ready to admit it's 25-35 fps like this).MegajerkNYC

Show me a game that has better foliage.

MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MegajerkNYC

It looks horrid.

MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MegajerkNYC

Uncharted Pictures, Images and Photos

Notice how the edges of the leaves are rounded. Quite amazing actually.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

MegajerkNYC

Owning all 3 consoles is a waste of money. With a PC I do so much more than just playing games. For example its my media center, stream everything from my PC, its where I get homework done, edit videos, surf the web...

Why buy all three consoles and still end up having to go buy a PC to get your basic stuff done? Also you forget that PC gaming is cheaper once you build it. Games are cheaper, accessories are usually cheaper (why spend $60 on a new keyboard and mouse?), online is free, VoiP is free, then you get tons of free games which are becoming easier and easier to find. Not to mention I can make this post on my gaming PC.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wasdie  Moderator

MegajerkNYC

You do know taking an off-screen shot actually enhances visual qualities?

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AAllxxjjnn

Uncharted Pictures, Images and Photos

MegajerkNYC

I've played uncharted. The Foliage is the most plastic/flat looking foliage i've ever seen. Crysis stomps all over it. And offscreen shots are not good representations of the game. They make everything look sharper than it really is.