Civilization VI Hype Thread of one more turn - 9/10 GS 92/100 MC ... GOTY contender!

• 173 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

I finished my first Civ 5 game last night (this morning lol).

So much fun. Between dabbling around in the tutorial mode and playing my first game, I'm almost at 20 hours, yeesh! Though I did continue on for a couple of hours after achieving victory.

I'm kinda torn really. I want to continue on with Civ 5 since I feel like I've only dipped my toes in it. But a part of me just wants to jump into Civ 6 now.

Stick to Civ 5 for a while, if you're only 20 hours/one game in, you've maybe seen 5% of what the game has to offer. Get at least each kind of victory once, then you can think about moving on lol

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#152 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

@_Matt_: it's 90.Update it

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

God almighty finally worked out how to cloud save, you have to link you 2k account on the main screen, wow make to that intuitive ...

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: You could. It's not as if the game has any sort of continuation from one game to the next. You could easily justify that you should have played all the predecessors to 5 with the same rationale.

Get 6, and get on the train early. personally, I'm waiting for the semester to end before jumping in.

5 is a beast game though. One of them there "pc games are only boring strategy games" that console lamers rag on all the time. Damn fine game series.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#155  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@charizard1605: Why? Civ 6 is a better version of Civ 5. They are not that different. It's not like a story game where each sequel is worth playing. This is an iterative franchise so each sequel is arguably the replacement of it's predecessor.

On that note I've been trying out Civ 6 and I like it, UI is a bit packed and messy though, will take some getting used to.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#156 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It's nonsense saying that Strategy games dont tell stories and are there to just iterate.

While I havent played VI to compare (I have a 4X strategy game catalog to get through). While the victory conditions can be more or less the same, Civ IV will almost always tell a different emergent story than V due to how different their strategic layers are centralized around.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#157 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

It's nonsense saying that Strategy games dont tell stories and are there to just iterate.

While I havent played VI to compare (I have a 4X strategy game catalog to get through). While the victory conditions can be more or less the same, Civ IV will almost always tell a different emergent story than V due to how different their strategic layers are centralized around.

Of course they'll tell different emergent stories, that's fucking implicit in the word "emergent". You'll get different emergent stories from your map's seed number ffs. I mean that Civ 5 is not something you need to explore if you want to get in to 6 anyways. Civ 5 is great and certainly has it's own merits but I'm convinced almost all casual Civ players won't return to 5 once theyre gotten accustomed to the new mechanics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#159 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@charizard1605: Why? Civ 6 is a better version of Civ 5. They are not that different. It's not like a story game where each sequel is worth playing. This is an iterative franchise so each sequel is arguably the replacement of it's predecessor.

On that note I've been trying out Civ 6 and I like it, UI is a bit packed and messy though, will take some getting used to.

Because everyone I have talked to who has played Civ 6 and 5 both insists that 5 has its own flavor that 6 does not replace, only supplements. In which case I don't see why it's a bad idea to fully explore Civ 5 at all, especially since it's not a game that one can 'get' within a single game or so.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#160 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

This game will never be GOTY.

Shame as it looks like it should.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@charizard1605 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Because everyone I have talked to who has played Civ 6 and 5 both insists that 5 has its own flavor that 6 does not replace, only supplements. In which case I don't see why it's a bad idea to fully explore Civ 5 at all, especially since it's not a game that one can 'get' within a single game or so.

Just to re-iterate what Char is saying here they play very differently. Not many people on here have more hours in Civ V than I do and I love it to pieces. VI plays VERY differently. I find my having to adjust my playing style and tactics on the fly, which I almost never did in V. In V with each civ you had a definite idea of what you'd do, in VI I find myself fighting wars I never wanted or planned or going down diff paths simply because of which civ states are close or what resources I find. The AI actually gangs up on me, granted it still sucks at "grand" strategy and what to do with its units en mass but I've come close to being swamped a few times and knocked out, that's never happened on V (I play Emperor/Immortal) and I've only being Warlord and Prince as I learn the game. I don't think VI quite has the polish of V yet but for a X4 strat game its really really good at launch. Can't wait to see what they have in store for it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Doh! I got into petty SW arguments the past couple of days and forgot about this. Thanks for all the input bros.

I did decide to just hang back with Civ 5 for the time being. Mainly just out of principle. I bought the whole bundle just short of a week ago lol. I feel it would be kinda dumb/a waste to just jump to Civ 6 having just bought the whole Civ 5 package. I'm enjoying what I have and would definitely like to explore it further. Another thing is that I just purchased the whole Civ 5 collection merely days ago, so how many times am I going to repeat the same shit with different words before you stop reading this paragraph. Thanks.

I understand the points of view from both sides of the discussion here, but I'm sure either way I go, it's still a win for me.

Most importantly, I like to imagine that the term Animal Husbandry originated in the deep south. Sounds disgusting tbh.

Double thanks.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#163 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

So i've dipped my toes into Civilization 6.

+ Presentation is top notch, the game feels very polished and slick, best in the series by far with a lot of nice details and touches here and there that makes the world feel more alive, I love how wonders are now built in real time, the day/night cycle is a great addition, the graphics are clean and vibrant. Music is fantastic. Gameplay is fine, same idea with some core fundamental changes like the districts which make each tile space more precious to manage. A lot of fine touches to core elements that make this probably the strongest base Civilization game yet.

- The civilization AI is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit and usually makes no sense, while surprisingly the Barbarian AI seems to have been much improved and are now much more dangerous and a challenge to handle.

I've barely touched the surface, I've still got a long way to go until I've exhausted at least a sizable chunk of the content being offered in Civilization 6.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@Lucianu: I've heard some mixed things about the AI.

It seems the AI are supposed to change their strategies as the game progresses, so what can happen is that they focus too little in any area, and become incredibly weak. But on the other hand it's meant to catch the player off guard, and sometimes an AI can be dominating in most aspects of the game.

Do you notice every AI in the games you play to be bad, or just a few of them? With my recent time in Civilization 5 playing against 10 AI I'd always find maybe 2 of them would become powerful while the other 8 would flop over as the game progressed.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Lucianu

@beardmad said:

@Lucianu: I've heard some mixed things about the AI.

It seems the AI are supposed to change their strategies as the game progresses, so what can happen is that they focus too little in any area, and become incredibly weak. But on the other hand it's meant to catch the player off guard, and sometimes an AI can be dominating in most aspects of the game.

Do you notice every AI in the games you play to be bad, or just a few of them? With my recent time in Civilization 5 playing against 10 AI I'd always find maybe 2 of them would become powerful while the other 8 would flop over as the game progressed.

Haven't played that much of the game yet, it's just that my initial impressions of it is that in most cases they're basic and predictable, while in other cases they spontaneously act in a way that's not hinted at all. Basically what i'm saying is that the civilization AI doesn't feel organic, it's just boring and robotic.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#166 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I've got a weird issue with it. I need to unplug my mouse to get the game to start? I'm not the only one and I've seen all kinds of 'fixes' from verify the files to completely uninstall and re-install the C++ Redistributables, needless to say none of it works. I wish they'd get it fixed because it's black mark on a very good and entertaining game.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Lucianu

The more I play, the more I feel that it has the potential to actually replace Civilization IV from my top favorite games of all time. Even the main theme is sick, though it's no Baba Yetu.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

I've got a weird issue with it. I need to unplug my mouse to get the game to start? I'm not the only one and I've seen all kinds of 'fixes' from verify the files to completely uninstall and re-install the C++ Redistributables, needless to say none of it works. I wish they'd get it fixed because it's black mark on a very good and entertaining game.

Game doesn't start at all before unplugging mouse? or the mouse doesn't work ingame?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By GarGx1

@howmakewood said:
@GarGx1 said:

Game doesn't start at all before unplugging mouse?

Nope, pops a small window for less than a second, like it's about to run. Comes up with "running" next to the title in Steam, then it disappears and nothing. I tried everything I could think of and it wasn't until I saw unplugging the mouse mentioned in a post I thought "may as well try it, nothing else works" and the game ran.

I've been building and gaming on X86 PC's since the late 80's and I have never seen an issue with a game solved by unplugging the mouse, starting the .exe and plugging the mouse back in. F*cking baffling! It's the kind of impossible fault only Firaxis or Paradox could invent.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@howmakewood said:
@GarGx1 said:

Nope, pops a small window for less than a second, like it's about to run. Comes up with "running" next to the title in Steam, then it disappears and nothing. I tried everything I could think of and it wasn't until I saw unplugging the mouse mentioned in a post I thought "may as well try it, nothing else works" and the game ran.

I've been building and gaming on X86 PC's since the late 80's and I have never seen an issue with a game solved by unplugging the mouse, starting the .exe and plugging the mouse back in. F*cking baffling! It's the kind of impossible fault only Firaxis or Paradox could invent.

That does sound really strange indeed, doubt the vc++ is at fault, I've been in the software biz for quite a while and really can't put my finger on what could cause that, hope firaxis has better luck

Does the process appear in task manager at all when you try to launch it?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 GarGx1

@howmakewood said:
@GarGx1 said:
@howmakewood said:
@GarGx1 said:

That does sound really strange indeed, doubt the vc++ is at fault, I've been in the software biz for quite a while and really can't put my finger on what could cause that, hope firaxis has better luck

Does the process appear in task manager at all when you try to launch it?

Nah, it doesn't even get as far as registering as a running process.

There are very few issues that I can't come up with a work around for but this has me stumped. The game runs fine once it's started, I can even quit out and restart with no issues but once my PC has been shut down and/or rebooted, the mouse needs to come out before the game will run again.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#172 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

PC wins again.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

Cracked a 110 hrs since launch :P

Very impressed with it so far, although the AI has no idea how to maneuver its armies and you can batter them despite being vastly out numbered with only the slightest effort. I also miss city screens and Aztecs seem mad OP in the early game (just go to war and then use your eagle warriors to give you hordes of builders=insurmountable lead). Played with the Sumerians, Romans and Aztecs so far and been very fun, all of them play pretty differently which is very nice.

Bigger maps, some better AI play and this will be my clear GOTY, sorry Stellaris and TWW.

Avatar image for explosivepolice
ExplosivePolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 ExplosivePolice
Member since 2016 • 19 Posts

why is this not on the xbox?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts