Civilization VI Hype Thread of one more turn - 9/10 GS 92/100 MC ... GOTY contender!

• 173 results
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Platforms: PCs Running Windows, Mac OS, and Linux

Release Date: October 21, 2016 (Windows Only)

Developer: Firaxis Games

Publisher: 2K Games

Predictably, the stars of the show in Civilization VI are the civilizations themselves.

While Civilization VI won’t have the sheer number of civilizations that Civilization V had by the end of its run, the civilizations it will have will be highly differentiated, all leading to very different bonuses during a game, and very different styles of play. Playing as two different civilizations will always lead to very different games each time because of the variance in play styles that each civilization will favor.

The civilizations that have been confirmed for Civilization VI so far are:

• America
  • Arabia
  • Aztec
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Egypt
  • England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • India
  • Japan
  • Kongo
  • Norway
  • Rome
  • Russia
  • Scyth
  • Spain
  • Sumeria

Watch these videos for all the first looks at the Civs available!

Civilization 6 continues to complete rethinking of the various conventions of the Civilization series that began with Civilization 5. While fans of the series, and especially of Civilization 5, will ultimately find themselves to be at home with Civilization 6, there’s a whole lot new going on here that will probably take you a fair bit to come to terms with:

• Civilization 6features the ‘unstacking of the cities. No longer are cities developed exclusively in one tile- instead, players must pick and choose specific hexes around the city as ‘districts’ of certain kinds. Picking a district favors some improvements, and discourages others (for instance, making a commercial district may be great for wealth generation, but will do a number on farming and agriculture). This introduces a new layer of city simulation and management metagame to Civilization, as you now have to manage the growth of your individual cities to go along with the rest of the game’s intricacy.
  • Rebalancing the game to make social and cultural victories more viable. While Civilization 5 made great strides towards this with the introduction of Tourism, a separate upgrade tree the Civics tree, has been introduced to Civilization 6- this includes cultural improvements, such as Drama and Philosophy, which were previously a part of the Tech tree, but now belong to it. Unlocks are made on the Civics tree by using Culture generated from cities. Completing certain Civics will then unlock policies towards the civilization's government. The government is decided by placing earned ‘policy cards’ into slots divided between Military, Economic, Diplomatic, and Wildcard categories, all of which decides the direction your government will take.
  • Inter religious conflicts are now a thing in Civilization VI.
  • Research has been improved to reflect the improvements built in cities. For instance, having an observatory will lead to quicker research for astronomy, while having access to a quarry will lead to quicker masonry.
  • AI Agendas help keep the AI consistent, and yet unpredictable. Each AI player gets one visible agenda trait, consistent with how they were in real life, as well as one random trait that is generated at the start of each game, and is kept hidden from the player at first. Cumulatively, this should lead to AI that is consistent, and yet harder to outsmart, especially on higher difficulties.

That’s not all, either! A whole lot of features are returning from Civilization IV and older games in the series, that were excised in Civilization V. These, coupled with the improvements that Civ V made, should all make for the ultimate Civilization experience.

• Happiness is now local to each city instead of being local. Not only does this encourage expansionist play for players who like that style (since they will no longer be penalized for founding new cities), but in trying to keep each city happy, adds further to the city sim element of the game.
  • There will be multiple leaders per civilizations- or at least for some of them.
  • Unit stacking is back! At least in a limited form, at any rate. While making military stacks of doom, or indeed, military stacks of any kind, is still not viable, players now can stack, say, a worker unit and a warrior unit, to ensure the worker is protected by the warrior (similar to how a worker can garrison in a city during times of attack)

The general mechanics of Civilization all stand in Civilization VI- you are still making your own empire, starting from the early, ancient, prehistorical ages, and developing your empire through all the ages of history, and into modernity and beyond. As always, multiple victory paths will be available to the player, including military (by conquest), cultural (social victory), scientific (technological victory), and diplomatic (political victory). Players will be forced to deal with all the nuances of society - from population to disease, education to politics, science, religion, culture, trade, economy, diplomacy, and more - as they navigate their civilization to victory in the ultimate turn based strategy game.

That’s not all, either! A whole lot of features are returning from Civilization IV and older games in the series, that were excised in Civilization V. These, coupled with the improvements that Civ V made, should all make for the ultimate Civilization experience.

• Happiness is now local to each city instead of being local. Not only does this encourage expansionist play for players who like that style (since they will no longer be penalized for founding new cities), but in trying to keep each city happy, adds further to the city sim element of the game.
  • There will be multiple leaders per civilizations- or at least for some of them.
  • Unit stacking is back! At least in a limited form, at any rate. While making military stacks of doom, or indeed, military stacks of any kind, is still not viable, players now can stack, say, a worker unit and a warrior unit, to ensure the worker is protected by the warrior (similar to how a worker can garrison in a city during times of attack)

Current Metacritic: 92/100

Many thanks to the_master_race for keeping me posted on review scores.

Gamespot - 9/10

Civ 6 has a few rough edges, but they’re pushed far into the periphery by spectacular strategic depth and intricate interlocking nuances. Any frustrations I experienced were immediately eclipsed by my desire to continue playing. Just one more turn, every turn, forever.

PC Gamer - 93/100

Sight, sound, and systems harmonise to make Civilization 6 the liveliest, most engrossing, most rewarding, most challenging 4X in any corner of the earth.

Telegraph - 5/5

For such a complex and in depth game to feel so intuitive is impressive, but for such a game to remain fun, exciting and unpredictable after forty, sixty, one-hundred hours of play? That’s joyous.

PCGamesN - 9/10

It'll take a few balance patches and expansions before it achieves absolute perfection, but the list of wholesale changes Civ VI brings to the storied formula makes for an instantly sumptuous strategy treat.

GameCrate - 9/10

This is a deep, massive, complicated game in the best traditions of the franchise, and though it doesn't do everything right, it's likely that strategy fans are going to be very pleased with what they get with Civlization VI.

Trusted Reviews - 4.5/5

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By inggrish

Hype Poll!

What's your hype for this game?

AAAA - 5 Votes

Charizard1605

the_master_race

jhonMalcovich

GarGx1

Pelvist

AAA - 18 Votes

_Matt_

Cloud_Imperium

lawlessx

mmmwksil

DaVillain-

Seabas989

Howmakewood

ArchoNils2

madrocketeer

Desmonic

blue_hazy_basic

Sweetblackhair

aigis

Black_Goku

Padaporra

L0ngshot

AnthonyAutumns

PurpleMan5000

AA - 3 Votes

Dakur

N64DD

mems_1224

A - 0 Votes

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 inggrish

To start off, I'm hyping this AAA! I cannot wait!

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

I played so much of Civ 5 that I'm afraid I'll fail all my college courses with this. It's probably wise if I stay away from it for now.

I'm looking forward mostly to the improved AI to see if it makes it more challenging to win. In Civ 5 there were 2 or 3 strategies that were basically flawless against any opponent and the higher difficulties were mostly only about giving initial advantages to the PC players.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

My hype is AA since I think the game is going to be quite similar to Civ5 which will take away a bit from the initial feeling of excitement but still if the game is as good as Civ5 it is going to be amazing.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

AAA

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Dang... still can't play as Hitler.

I'm assuming the game will get average reviews. It'll be an awesome game at launch, but "lacking" in some areas that'll be later made up by future expansions. Happened with Civ 4 and 5.

Not sure if I'll get it at launch since I'm in the same boat as this fellow.

@dakur said:

I played so much of Civ 5 that I'm afraid I'll fail all my college courses with this. It's probably wise if I stay away from it for now.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

im expecting another AAA for the series

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Put me down for AAA hype.

Like others, I'm cautious of buying at launch because of future expansions. I want to get the full deets on the game after launch, and then I'll make my choice. What's more, since I run Mac OSX I need to make sure my paltry machine can run the game with no issues. It runs Civ5 just dandy, so I'm hopeful.

Side hype: Sean Bean as the tech tree narrator!

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Civ V was/is amazing, but Beyond Earth was a massive letdown. Hopefully the return to the main series will bring back the quality Civ is known for.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56029 Posts

Nice hype thread _Matt_, going for a 9/10 but Civilization VI isn't on my radar though, I hope everyone enjoys it.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I will also hype it AAA.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

AAA, most likely my most played game for the rest of the year

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I have very, very high expectations about the game. I expect it to be at least a 9 for me. I guess GS will give it an 8. It will be better than Beyond Earth for sure, but will it be better than 5 (with its expansions)?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10583 Posts

My expectations are guarded, as always, but from what I've heard, this game basically picks up where Brave New World left off. Still not sold on the art style, but the gameplay look very impressive.

I'm very close to preordering, but will probably wait for some early reviews. I think a 9 is very possible.

@beardmad said:

Dang... still can't play as Hitler.

I'm assuming the game will get average reviews. It'll be an awesome game at launch, but "lacking" in some areas that'll be later made up by future expansions. Happened with Civ 4 and 5.

Not sure if I'll get it at launch since I'm in the same boat as this fellow.

@dakur said:

I see this kind of thing in the Youtube comments all the time, and I don't understand; why do people want to play as Hitler, Stalin and Lenin so much? Every single video, someone always comes along and post things like "Where's Hitler?" and "Where's Russia? We want to play as Stalin!" Do you want Hitler's unique tile improvement to be Concentration Camps and his unique ability to be purging cities of Judaism or something? Maybe Stalin should have Gulags and have "scorched earth" ability? Why are you so obsessed with playing as mass murderers? I honestly don't understand this at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Hyping this AAAAE.

Come fucking at me.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Definitely AAAE on the lock, looks to improve every single aspect of Civ5 (which was already an outstanding game).

The more I see of it, the more I love it. The level of control in everything now is just ridiculous, in the best of ways.

Though, screw their lack of Portugal on launch >.>

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 inggrish

@charizard1605: have you found it yet?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

AAA for me. Preorder locked and loaded. I can see (as with most games of this type) there being plenty of launch bugs and AI issues that will need to be sorted out but I can't wait.

@charizard1605 said:

Hyping this AAAAE.

Come fucking at me.

GS almost always underscores strategy games, there is no way this will score a 10 on here.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lawlessx

@charizard1605 said:

Hyping this AAAAE.

Come fucking at me.

wait..you're back already?

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

10/10

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

AAA for me here. Probably won't buy it day 1, but I do plan on getting it shortly after!

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

8/10 from me.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Didnt realize this was coming out so soon. Im thinking 9/10

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

9/10

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#27  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

beardmad's mom/10 ?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

AAAA of course

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Personal hype is AAAA, love the Civ games, even Beyond Earth

Gamespot 9/10

Metacritic 89/100

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inggrish

@illmatic87: so that's what, a 9?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Civ5 is one of my favorite games ever but for some reason I'm not excited for this at all. Not even gonna bother getting it at launch. I've kind of lost faith in Firaxis after how shitty Xcom 2 was.

I'm guessing it gets an 8/10 though

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#32  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

All of the changes sound good.
Unstacked cities sounds more interesting than the stacked cities.
Localized happiness sounds better than civ wide happiness. It makes more sense this way (imo).
Roads by trade is way less of a hassle than roads by builders and makes trade more interesting.
Agenda's and Gossip make A.I. civs more interesting period.
Unit stacking has changed to something in between full stacking and no stacking. I wasn't too happy with either solution so maybe this in between is the right call.
Eureka moments and active research create a more interesting middle game and challenge your initial plans.
Workers in Civ 4+ were pretty much always automated in my games. Now you actually want to direct them because of districts and their 3 build limit. (could get annoying though?)
And from day 1 Civ VI is more fully featured. So you don't necessarily have to wait for expansions to 'finish' the game.
Etc.

I'm getting good vibes from this. After Civ 4 and 5 I was pretty sure that I would wait 6 out until it got all expansions, but I am seriously tempted because their changes feel good. Like they put someone on it who is very good at game design, something that seemed kind of missing from 5+. (I feel the changes in 5 and Beyond Earth were more like... following protocol than these.)

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I wish they would put Scotland in it :(

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@gameofthering said:

Ermmm I'm not sure getting hammered alot, with the exception of Bruce vs one of England's more ineffective kings, really qualifies :P

On the bright side I'm sure modders will have one up pretty quickly.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KungfuKitten

@gameofthering said:

I only ever met one Scottish person. A girl on a vacation in France. She had wild red hair and an extremely loud voice. In one word she was boisterous and kept drinking like she was chugging water whilst on fire. All that she was missing was a two-handed axe on her back. It was like the embodiment of a stereotype, but in the best ways possible. Sorry you just reminded me. She left quite an impression.

If the Scottish leader can be anything like her I would instantly main Scotland in Civ VI XD

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

YESSS! Now that Xbox and PC are the same platform, i can have this on my Xbox too!

No, wait... WTF?!

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

@groowagon said:

YESSS! Now that Xbox and PC are the same platform, i can have this on my Xbox too!

No, wait... WTF?!

This is yet another Xbox exclusive.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KungfuKitten

@biack_goku: *excluded
XD

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

beardmad's mom/10 ?

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Even though it looks like a mobile game, the gameplay mechanics so far look very interesting. I pretty sure it will be better than Civ V at launch. So at least a 9 here.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

10/10 I absolutely cannot wait for this game; Civ V was almost a perfect game in my eyes.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lawlessx

@KungfuKitten said:
@gameofthering said:

I only ever met one Scottish person. A girl on a vacation in France. She had wild red hair and an extremely loud voice. In one word she was boisterous and kept drinking like she was chugging water whilst on fire. All that she was missing was a two-handed axe on her back. It was like the embodiment of a stereotype, but in the best ways possible. Sorry you just reminded me. She left quite an impression.

If the Scottish leader can be anything like her I would instantly main Scotland in Civ VI XD

sounds like she would be great at parties

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 inggrish

@mems_1224: wait. Xcom 2? shitty? Noooo! What did you not like about it? Did you enjoy the original enemy unknown?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

It seems that Civ 5 hasn't really been out that long. Might be wrong but I still haven't played it yet. But Civilization always gives me fond memories. I played the first one on my Amiga so much. Late in the game when you ended a round it took the CPU about 5 minutes to make his moves. Especially fun when you had to wait 20 rounds for something to be built but I still loved it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

For the first time ever I'm not buying day 1... something is holding me back!

Hope this lives up.

I wonder why there has never been a "long mode" where you spend 100s of turns in the stone age for example... production etc are at normal game pace, but research isn't ... I feel most games I play of Civ tech advances so fast that you never really get to appreciate the earlier aspects of combat/building... and "game speed" usually just makes EVERYTHING longer, not specifically tech advancement.

Hope its good....

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Pfff... civilization. I rather play a good paradox game or total war.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@MBirdy88 said:

For the first time ever I'm not buying day 1... something is holding me back!

Hope this lives up.

I wonder why there has never been a "long mode" where you spend 100s of turns in the stone age for example... production etc are at normal game pace, but research isn't ... I feel most games I play of Civ tech advances so fast that you never really get to appreciate the earlier aspects of combat/building... and "game speed" usually just makes EVERYTHING longer, not specifically tech advancement.

Hope its good....

There's mods for that! :P

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@thepclovingguy said:

Pfff... civilization. I rather play a good paradox game or total war.

but you can't nuke Washington in total war :p

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#49 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

9/10. Already pre-ordered!

Btw guys beyond earth was poop.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 inggrish

@davillain- said:

Nice hype thread _Matt_, going for a 9/10 but Civilization VI isn't on my radar though, I hope everyone enjoys it.

Thank you sir :)

Civ not your jam?