Civilization VI Hype Thread of one more turn - 9/10 GS 92/100 MC ... GOTY contender!

• 173 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@mmmwksil said:

@charizard1605:

Well that's a given, boss. You're so out of touch with reality, you actually thought you could leave the board forever.

<3

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Are there really large world scale maps now? All the footage I see of people playing... seems really cramped.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23926 Posts

@mmmwksil said:

Anyone here gotten the game already? What's the good word?

Not bothering with reviews (I know what to expect), I just want to know from down to earth folks: how does it compare to Brave New World?

Compared to Brave New World it doesnt quite have as many features, and isnt quite as fleshed out. But Several things are noticably more well executed, such as city states and warfare.

AI: The AI is completely psychotic too, this will probably get tweaked though. Since right now some of it makes no sense. France dislikes you for poor intelligence and espionage... even in the ancient era.

Religion: The religion system is almost completely copied from Civ 5, with even the options being more or less copied. You cannot rename any real world religions (no more puns), but there are also a few custom religions which you can put in a custom name for. One of them has an elephant as a symbol so I created a custom religion and named it Reaganism.

City States: City States now has envoys and more unique benefits. Likewise general requests as a whole just seem more well implemented now.

Warfare: Towns have been significantly nerfed. Towns can actually fall to barbarians.

Policies, the talent trees are gone. Instead a tech tree is implemented. And you get to choose a government type which determines what kind of policies you can adobt as well as a fairly powerful bonus. This is a pretty good hybrid of both what Civ 4 and Alpha Centauri used, as well as the few things I liked about the Civ 5 talent trees, being both dynamic while having permanency and cultural evolution at the same time.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#104 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9552 Posts

Looks good.. don't know how my laptop would handle it.. wish it was coming to console. I'm sure I'll get it eventually no matter what though.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

@Maroxad:

Thanks for the info, Maro; I'll definitely have to try it myself sooner rather than later. Soon as it gets a sale in the coming months I'll take the plunge.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23926 Posts

@mmmwksil said:

@Maroxad:

Thanks for the info, Maro; I'll definitely have to try it myself sooner rather than later. Soon as it gets a sale in the coming months I'll take the plunge.

Yeah, waiting for the coming months for a sale is probably a good idea, gives them time to weed out some oddities.

Lack of features and customization being a big wtf thing. By lack of features, I mean some rather disturbing lack of features. Advanced options are almost non-existant, with classics like raging barbarians completely gone. Maps too, are lacking with only 5 options or so. While my favorite Pangea is still in. Many others arent. Including the earth map.

After you have had your civics for quite a while, these civics get rather ingrained in your culture and you gain a bonus on these civics making them better. This is exactly the kind of permanency the civic system of 4 lacked, but doesnt devolve into gamey talent trees that honestly make no sense.

One last thing I should also mention in terms of religion is religious warfare so to speak. Not only in the physical sense, since Civ now has a Casus Belli mechanic, but also a spiritual one as well, where your missionaries and evangelists will outright attack missionaries of other faiths using religious strength. Theological battles so to speak, the mechanic itself is rather shallow, but killing enemies has a strong risk vs reward, since nearby towns will strengthen religious fervor of the winning religion, plus it is always satisfying to see followers of enemy religions get smote by the radiant lightning of Saint Ronald Reagan the Absent Minded. The animation for theological battles is badass indeed.

Edit: One last thing to take note of is that the Tech Tree is a lot more open ended this time around. My friend hit the industrial era without even discovering the wheel.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

Are there really large world scale maps now? All the footage I see of people playing... seems really cramped.

Yeah from I played, I was really surprised to have 3 other capital cities within a stone throw of my own!

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

Completed my first game, digging the district system a lot. adds lot of depth to the city planning. Only bug/glitch I noticed was shooting with cities/military district when there's units inside it. A lot more fine tuned than civ 5 was at launch for sure. Easy 9.5/10

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#109  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I got owned by turn 30 or so in my first game. I've never managed that before in a Civ. XD

Started real close to China and Japan and they declared war at like turn 20. Plus I underestimated the barbarians at King. Thought they would still be ok when not killed outright. Oops.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

This game is breathtaking. I have even warmed to the art style.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

i really like it and i think it has the potential to make me stop playing Civilization V. Some negatives for me is the UI which is a mix bag. The resources icons are a bit confusing and i prefer civ V resources icons by a long shot. The revealed parts of the map that are not within your view are also worse compared to Civ V since its a bit difficult to see the resources and terrain type now.

The positives are the old tech tree is back which is great , city details info is also good , combat is small improvement over Civ V which is ok for a turn based game

The huge positives are the districts , the natural wonders ( which are a huge step forward compared to civ V and feel way more useful now ), the terrain its self plays a bigger role in your city planning which adds better depth to gameplay

All in all i think early game is as good as civilization V, mid game is way better and late game needs some tweaking and improvements

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Howmakewood

They should straight up cut the production you get from cutting down forest to half or so, it's still way too strong

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

It got a 9 here.

ABtoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ABtoxin
Member since 2014 • 438 Posts

TC needs to update the score now!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#115 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

A 9, just as I predicted. Congratulations to Firaxis!

Time to insta-buy!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I've been wanting to try this series for a while and all this Civ hype made me take the plunge into Civ5 + all the DLC packs. And holy shit it's addictive lol.

Obviously I haven't even scratched the surface on Civ 5, but I'll be checking this one out eventually.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 inggrish

@abtoxin said:

TC needs to update the score now!

Sorry for the delay! Was a bit too addicted actually playing the game before work!

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 inggrish

So what was the first Civilization anyone here properly tried?

What did you like about them? Would you play them again?

For me I've been playing Rome and I absolutely love them. They get a monument automatically in every City (which tends to save me a fair few turns) and they get extra gold from trade routes which pleases me. Moreover they also get baths instead of aqueducts which provide extra housing and amenity over regular aqueducts. They will probably end up being my favourite civ to use.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Ah! Called it! AAAE! :P

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By madrocketeer  Online

Bought, downloaded and tested. Spent most of my first session tweaking the settings while singing along with the main menu theme. Oh yeah, I've been watching this video so many times I've now memorised the lyrics - helps that I've been casually learning Italian in my spare time. Prendera il primo volo / verso il sole il grande uccello / sorvolando il grande Monte Ceceri / riempendo l'universo di stupore e gloria... So awesome.

Anyway, got some stuff to do before I can play some more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:

I've been wanting to try this series for a while and all this Civ hype made me take the plunge into Civ5 + all the DLC packs. And holy shit it's addictive lol.

Obviously I haven't even scratched the surface on Civ 5, but I'll be checking this one out eventually.

Dude, Civ 5 is fucking insane. I love that game so much, there's so much to unwrap and unstack in that game.

You bought the expansions too, right? Not just the DLC?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ConanTheStoner

@charizard1605:

Got the complete bundle on Steam, so I'm guessing that's it?

Dude when I made that last post my plan was to go to sleep. That didn't work out so well lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, that's got all the expansions.

Lmao, I hear you man. Civ is unparalleled in how addictive it is. That 'one more turn,' man.

Plus with just how many options the game has, no two matches will ever be the same, even across thousands of hours.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#124 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Char you play CIV games? O_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@indzman: Civ 5 is like my favorite game of all time, and I have like 3,500 hours across Civ 4, 5, and four different versions of Revolution.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

wow. Enjoy Civ 6 to the fullest then :)

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Every Civ game seems to improve with age as expansions and updates come out. Glad to hear nothing but good things about Civ 6 so far from friends, and even the lolrific game journalists of the world. Seems like this game would be worth picking up now rather than after an expansion or two.

Only problem is I know this game will be addictive, so I'm trying my best to hold off until around Christmas time when the school semester winds down.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Howmakewood

@ConanTheStoner: What I said on lounge, these games are worse than heroin, one more turn..

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#129 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

I got owned by turn 30 or so in my first game. I've never managed that before in a Civ. XD

Started real close to China and Japan and they declared war at like turn 20. Plus I underestimated the barbarians at King. Thought they would still be ok when not killed outright. Oops.

I seem to always lose religious war vs the AI. Is it just me or the AI spawns missionaries and apostles like cockroaches? I got swarmed by at least 10 apostles and I only had 3 of mine! :(

The AI is predictable at least in terms of Germany. If you get suzerain with any city-state, he immediately gets angry and vows to destroy the city-state and you.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I'll pick this up in a year when it's half off on a steam sale with all the DLC, expansions and patches...like I do with every CIV.

Edit: I'll pick it up now if anybody knows If I can run it on my macbook pro retina (latest model all decked out) in full res.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Howmakewood

@n64dd: it's pretty harsh on cpu it seems, but it should run if you have windows that is

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 N64DD

@howmakewood said:

@n64dd: it's pretty harsh on cpu it seems, but it should run if you have windows that is

I think my i7 could handle it fine. It's the amd 370x 2 gig card i'm worried about. I want to be able to run it decently at..2880-by-1800.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 N64DD

I bought civ 5 with all dlc and expansions and never played it. I think i'm going to play this one first and wait for 6 to go on sale.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Howmakewood

@n64dd: oh that's might have a hard time on native res, 1080p it would do fine but yeh thats more than twice the res

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 N64DD

@howmakewood said:

@n64dd: oh that's might have a hard time on native res, 1080p it would do fine but yeh thats more than twice the res

Civ 5 is running great on the native res. I seriously have played this game for like 10 minutes. I think I should start with this one and get some mileage out of it since everybody seems to rave about it non-stop.

I have a gaming pc with a 980ti, so if I wanna run the new one I can just do that later on. I just like being able to game during downtime at work :D

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Howmakewood

@n64dd said:
@howmakewood said:

Civ 5 is running great on the native res. I seriously have played this game for like 10 minutes. I think I should start with this one and get some mileage out of it since everybody seems to rave about it non-stop.

I have a gaming pc with a 980ti, so if I wanna run the new one I can just do that later on. I just like being able to game during downtime at work :D

Heh civ5 is my most played game on my surface pro 4(has few pixels over 1800p too), haven't tried out VI on it yet, but in V I need to cut stuff down and I play it windowed with slightly lower res

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 N64DD

@howmakewood said:
@n64dd said:
@howmakewood said:

Heh civ5 is my most played game on my surface pro 4(has few pixels over 1800p too), haven't tried out VI on it yet, but in V I need to cut stuff down and I play it windowed with slightly lower res

I don't know why but these games seem to me more fun played on a laptop/mobile device.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@n64dd: Runs without issue on my 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#139 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Happy to see the reviews holding up as more come out.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By N64DD

@charizard1605 said:

What res can you get up to?

Better question. As somebody who has never really played a civ game before. Which game should I star with, 5 with all the dlc and such (own it from a steam sale), or just start with 6?

@charizard1605 I look forward to both answers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:

Better question. As somebody who has never really played a civ game before. Which game should I star with, 5 with all the dlc and such (own it from a steam sale), or just start with 6?

Currently running at 1280x800

I don't have Civ 6 yet, so I'm not fully qualified to answer the second question- but my understanding is that it's more complex than Civ 5, which was actually made as a gateway game into the series for beginners. Most Civ fans started playing with 5, and 5 remains one of the most played games on Steam to this day (I believe it has never left the Top 10 Concurrency Chart a single day since its release). I am fully willing to believe 6 may even be the better game- but as a newcomer, I'd say start with 5. 6 isn't available on Mac for now anyway.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 N64DD

@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:

I don't have Civ 6 yet, so I'm not fully qualified to answer the second question- but my understanding is that it's more complex than Civ 5, which was actually made as a gateway game into the series for beginners. Most Civ fans started playing with 5, and 5 remains one of the most played games on Steam to this day (I believe it has never left the Top 10 Concurrency Chart a single day since its release). I am fully willing to believe 6 may even be the better game- but as a newcomer, I'd say start with 5. 6 isn't available on Mac for now anyway.

6 is available for mac.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:

6 is available for mac.

Welp, when dafuq did this happen. I'm buying 6 now then.

Get back to you on this later :p For now, I still suggest 5

EDIT: Oh for f*ck's sake. Getting it in December then.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 N64DD

@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:

6 is available for mac.

Welp, when dafuq did this happen. I'm buying 6 now then.

Get back to you on this later :p For now, I still suggest 5

EDIT: Oh for f*ck's sake. Getting it in December then.

I'm going to play 5 for a bit, and then get 6 later on. Let me know if you end up getting it.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Another AAA for the civ series.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By madrocketeer  Online

Polygon's review is up. They gave an 8.5;

Civilization 6 is an advance on the previous game, offering more variety, smarter use of assets and a wider palette of potential activities. It remains the best of its kind, always demanding my attention, forever creating new narratives out of stats and maps. But it fails to move the concept of a history simulation beyond the ambitions set 25 years ago. We've reached the point where Civ games are as much a simulation of themselves, as they are of the march of human progress.

Eurogamer also gave it a "Recommended."

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#147  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@l0ngshot said:
@KungfuKitten said:

I seem to always lose religious war vs the AI. Is it just me or the AI spawns missionaries and apostles like cockroaches? I got swarmed by at least 10 apostles and I only had 3 of mine! :(

The AI is predictable at least in terms of Germany. If you get suzerain with any city-state, he immediately gets angry and vows to destroy the city-state and you.

Uh yes they found religions before I could even consider going for it.

Mr-GameCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Mr-GameCast
Member since 2004 • 198 Posts

Why is it a sticky. And why did dansgaming cancel horror month for a day to play it? Selling out

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 madrocketeer  Online

Another review. IGN just gave a 9.4, calling it "the most fully-featured launch version in the 25-year series."

After playing around with it for a few hours, I kind of have to agree; whereas Civ V and Civ BE felt quite barebones and in need of some expansions, Civ VI feels like it pretty much picked up where Brave New World left off.

Let me put it this way; I can't imagine Civ VI expansions adding any new gameplay features like religion or governments like with Civ V, simply because they are already there. Instead I think Civ VI expansions will be about tweaking and adding new wrinkles to existing features, plus new units, eras, civilizations and leaders.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 ConanTheStoner

I finished my first Civ 5 game last night (this morning lol).

So much fun. Between dabbling around in the tutorial mode and playing my first game, I'm almost at 20 hours, yeesh! Though I did continue on for a couple of hours after achieving victory.

I'm kinda torn really. I want to continue on with Civ 5 since I feel like I've only dipped my toes in it. But a part of me just wants to jump into Civ 6 now.