Bethesda - the most overrated RPG studio of all time.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Played Fallout 3.... such a awful game

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#52  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts
@texasgoldrush said:

@PAL360 said:

They create the best and more complex open world RPGs, so no, they are not overated.

Not really, try Black Isle, try Obsidan's Fallout New Vegas, try Arcanum from troika games. Hell try Ultima IV- VIIpt2

Elder scrolls games are not complex at all.

I didn't mean complex mechanics. I meant complex design. Huge and beautiful worlds, lots of primary and secondary missions, random events, hundreds of NPCs you can interact with, thousands of pickable objects with their own individual physics, etc, etc. I played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim for 300+ hours each, and sure, i found a bug here and there (which is normal on games with so much variables), but nothing major.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14918 Posts

@chaplainDMK said:

I'd call Bioware overrated far earlier than Bethesda. The stories and worlds made by them are just as generic, their writing really isn't any freaking better than Bethesda's, and they mesmerize everyone by letting you bang everything that has a hole somewhere on it's body and throwing copious amounts of blood and guts everywhere, no matter how far out of context for the story it is.

Bethesda at least crafts great looking worlds that are fun to explore and full of interesting things to find. Bioware lately just makes incredibly generic tunnels and throws in a few dialogue trees with good bad and gray options.

Meanwhile The Witcher, while great, is based on an established piece of fiction.

So Baldur's Gate II isn't better written than any Bethesda game? Can I laugh at you? A game that can easily be one of if not the best cRPG ever made, and help save the CRPG after the disaster that was Ultima IX. Jade Empire generic? Its a very flawed game, but its far from generic, especially for its time.

All Bethesda does is make good looking worlds, but they are not narratively rich worlds, and really, nothing interesting to find, because of level scaling, my equipment is always better that the unique weapons a find.

@Boddicker said:

@clyde46Wow..............just wow.

I never knew the writers at Bioware could be so inept. No Dwarf romance option? No Qunari romance? But we have a tranny option!!!!!

Jennifer Hepler is already on record as saying she would take all the combat out of DA if she could. I suggest you go to your local library and choose from their selection of "choose your own adventure" books.

Back to the subject at hand, yeah, Bethesda is definitely having to deal with a much larger demographic with the hugeness of their ES and Fallout franchises.

Larger demographic = dumbed down

Sad but true.

Jennifer Hepler is no longer with Bioware, and even that, she is not a bad writer. David Gaider however, other than HK47 in KOTOR, is one of Bioware's weaker writers and I do think this has hurt the Dragon Age series.

However, Patrick Weekes is an excellent writer.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

Considering how many employees they have it is not that bad. I dont remember the number of people, but I remember it being pretty small for an AAA studio.

The biggest problem with bethesda is that they are too ambitious. They bite a lot more than they can crew can chew. But unlike BileWare, their heart is in the right place seeing as they...

1. Support modders
  2. Promote good mods
  3. Promote freedom for their own game devs (though this can also be a bad thing), remember that last week thing they had with skyrim where the designers were told to do whatever they want?
  4. Emphasis on gameplay rather than cinematic storytelling.
  5. No day 1 DLC

They also have their fair share of problems

1. Combat in their games is always terrible with combat feeling incredibly floaty, enemies repetitive and bland, takes extremely little (if any) skill and redicilous hp bloating because the rpg elements are always terribly implemented. These things are bad to the point to where TES has some of the worst combat I have witnessed in any game. In Skyrim magic suffered greatly from the RPG elements, archery was buggy and had serious issues with invisible walls and lack of regional damage (compared to say Mount&Blade: Warband which registered head shots, body shots and leg shots and did a few more calculations to determine not only range but also damage).
  2. The environments tend to be large, but their last 3 games have had very repetitive overworlds.
  3. While Tamriel is easily the best setting in all of gaming, the writing is usually rather poor, especially after Morrowind.
  4. There is very little quality content in their game. Their games are massive swimming pools, which sounds pretty nice until you realize that you are swimming in well...
  5. They add new features that were either rushed or poorly thought out, and add nothing to the large world exploration those games have going for them (sometimes even detracts, which was the case with that awful Smithing skill)

All 5 of those problems could be alleviated at least somewhat if Bethesda toned down the scale of their game, and focused more on adding quality content than 100+ subpar dungeons that can usually be completed within 30 seconds.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Yes Bethesda is the most overrated RPG studio of all time, but don't kid yourself Bioware isn't any better and in some ways it's worse.

Oh and Mass Effect 3 sucked. Fact!

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I actually agree, but I'd tie them with bioware.

They make impressive engines (Not bioware), but my god do their games suck.

Bioware has made better engines.

Aurora was a good engine, it was used for the first Witcher game and Neverwinter Nights 2. Nevermind the Infinity engine that powered Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale as well as their own Baldur's Gate games.

However, the Dragon Age engines were crap.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was garbage and if it was the same engine that was used in the Witcher 1 than that just shows how crappy they are at using engines let alone making them.

The Bioware that made Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gate games is long dead!

What's left is some shadowy EA figure that's the same in name only.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I love Bethesda, Bioware, CDPR, Obsidian and even Larian Studios is slowly becoming one of my fav RPG devs

Haters gonna hate

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

Neverwinter Nights 2 was garbage and if it was the same engine that was used in the Witcher 1 than that just shows how crappy they are at using engines let alone making them.

The Bioware that made Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gate games is long dead!

What's left is some shadowy EA figure that's the same in name only.

What?

Also, Neverwinter Nights 2 with the Mask of the Betrayer expansion was one of the greatest WRPGs made last gen.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Skyrim and New Vegas were great. Skyrim was one of my most favorite RPGs of the last generation. So no they are not over-rated.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

So you don't like Bethesda. Okay. Don't buy their games then.

I agree that New Vegas is much better then Fallout 3.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The mods make them great though.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

TC is retarded. Nothing more to say.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Yes, I think they are overhyped. Some of the games are very good (Oblivion and Fallout 3), but few are great (Skyrim), but none is GOTY material. And yes, Fallout New Vegas is a lot better than 3!

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#64 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Bethesda stands out because they are the only ones who can do what they do. They have spent many years fine tuning their processes for making worlds and have the cash to flesh it out. They probably even have quite a few key patents on certain game concepts. There is a steep barrier of entry for anyone to challenge them seriously, much less a smaller new dev who could inject some fresh ideas.

It's also odd how there always seems to be an ocean of hype behind them, including huge game scores, and after a couple years there is a general realization that after the initial "wow" factor the games are quite shallow

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

The most overrated is hyperbole.

But yes, Bethesda makes shallow videogames. They make a toy box you can explore, but the moment to moment action, questing, rpg builds/systems are straight up pathetic. Their games make for exceptional escapism, but everything else it does as a game is quite poor.

BUT

It has the single greatest mod of all time. I mean Planescape Torment is cool. Mother 3 is cool. Arcanum is dope. But their combat music isn't as good as dangerzone. Ergo Skyrim 50/10, GOTG, MASTERPIECE, GREATEST OF ALL TIME, etc, etc, etc

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#67 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@xdrjx said:

Bethedsa games + Mod Nexus = best gaming experiences I had. They put out a good framework of game, modders and community will make the game awesome.

I agree, I still play Skyrim now because of the awesome mods

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, but I have to say that Skyrim was pretty overrated. I liked some of the changes to player mechanics and the leveling system, but the game lacked what made the other games great, that being the quests, and quests of more complexity and multiple approaches to being solved. Skyrim had some really cookie cutter designed quests and it was really a disappointment. Also, I really liked Fallout 3, I thought they did a better job than Obsidian did with New Vegas.

They're a good developer/publisher with a good past, but after Skyrim I worry they're living off their past success and not wanting to put in the time to remaining an excellent developer.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

They used to be the best.. until they took an arrow to the knee. Sorry. I'm really sorry.

I like their games though. I'm addicted to New Vegas at the moment.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

No that glorious titles goes to Ubisoft

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

should make a thread .... Bioware vs Bethesda

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#72 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Bethesda and Bioware are both overrated. Their games aren't the genre-defining masterpieces they're often hyped up to be. Skyrim wasn't even the best RPG of 2011.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

should make a thread .... Bioware vs Bethesda

it depends, how much do you want to see texasgoldrush having s psychotic break?

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

The make large, sprawling, epic, open-world, sand box RPGs that let you do whatever you want, whenever you want.

Do they have the most in depth systems and mechanics? No, but you'll be hard pressed to find better large, sprawling, epic, open-world, sand box RPGs that let you do whatever you want, whenever you want.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

@system-reboot said:
besides, new vegas was so much better than fallout 3 and skyrim

I agree 100%. New Vegas is worth finishing a buncha different ways to see all the great endings and it's fun every time...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#76 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@chaplainDMK: Hey now KOTOR rocked... And was rated T so none of the excessive gore or sex craze.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 texasgoldrush

@Shielder7 said:

Yes Bethesda is the most overrated RPG studio of all time, but don't kid yourself Bioware isn't any better and in some ways it's worse.

Oh and Mass Effect 3 sucked. Fact!

No, Bioware is better. Why? Because they simply don't repeat the same mistakes over again, not to the degree Bethesda does.

Bioware makes flawed games, but their flaws are new almost every time. They find new ones, and they learn from them. Sometimes they overreact like taking exploration out of ME2 and ME3, or basically what Dragon Age Inquisition is looking like to be. Bethesda on the other hand repeats the same flaws since Morrowind.

Are some Bioware games overrated? Yes. Dragon Age Origins is a huge example, the first Neverwinter Nights game is another, and to some degree, Mass Effect 2 (due to its poor main plot), But that does not make the company overrated. Baldur's Gate II is one of the greatest RPGs ever made, KOTOR was an excellent entry to the Star Wars EU, and Mass Effect as a trilogy is one of the best gaming accomplishments last gen.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@xdrjx said:

Bethedsa games + Mod Nexus = best gaming experiences I had. They put out a good framework of game, modders and community will make the game awesome.

and it's been like this since the beginning, but a lot of gamers, even on here I noticed, only started gaming with bethesda this past gen, or started gaming then in general, and it's their first introduction. Back in the morrowind days, the console following was a tiny percent, now it's a lot larger. Elder scrolls games are very much PC-centric and the proper way to experience them

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By texasgoldrush

@wis3boi said:

@thehig1 said:

@xdrjx said:

and it's been like this since the beginning, but a lot of gamers, even on here I noticed, only started gaming with bethesda this past gen, or started gaming then in general, and it's their first introduction. Back in the morrowind days, the console following was a tiny percent, now it's a lot larger. Elder scrolls games are very much PC-centric and the proper way to experience them

and arena and daggerfall were PC only........wow daggerfall was a mess. It was far too ambitious for its own good.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

I appreciate that Bethesda makes these detailed, rich worlds and focuses on single player gameplay (which is becoming rarer), but having said that, I've never really clicked with there games... which is frustrating to me because on paper I should love their games!

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#81 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

If you think JRPGs are real RPGs then that may explain a lot.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Ahhhhh Joy A goldrush thread, actually your beloved Bioware are truly the most overrated RPG studio of all time ( if you can even call the feces they have been dropping of late RPG's), they have one solid masterpiece Baldurs Gate 2 and that's it. Also just for all times sake dragon age 2 is one of the worst RPG games ever made a complete betrayal as far as choice is concerned, unlike the brain melting awesomeness that is the The witcher 2

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 texasgoldrush

@musalala said:

Ahhhhh Joy A goldrush thread, actually your beloved Bioware are truly the most overrated RPG studio of all time ( if you can even call the feces they have been dropping of late RPG's), they have one solid masterpiece Baldurs Gate 2 and that's it. Also just for all times sake dragon age 2 is one of the worst RPG games ever made a complete betrayal as far as choice is concerned, unlike the brain melting awesomeness that is the The witcher 2

Typical musala idiot response...oh joy.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 texasgoldrush

@PAL360 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

@PAL360 said:

They create the best and more complex open world RPGs, so no, they are not overated.

Not really, try Black Isle, try Obsidan's Fallout New Vegas, try Arcanum from troika games. Hell try Ultima IV- VIIpt2

I didn't mean complex mechanics. I meant complex design. Huge and beautiful worlds, lots of primary and secondary missions, random events, hundreds of NPCs you can interact with, thousands of pickable objects with their own individual physics, etc, etc. I played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim for 300+ hours each, and sure, i found a bug here and there (which is normal on games with so much variables), but nothing major.

Yet, its all as shallow as a puddle.

Its funny how Ultima games (IV and after) have deeper NPCs and world than the Elder Scrolls games even given the age of Ultima games. An Elder Scrolls basically took a lot of hints from Ultima.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@musalala

Making a bad RPG is, by no means, a bad thing. They make good games, cant say the same for Bethesda, good as their RPGs are, they're still bad games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@PAL360 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

@PAL360 said:

Complex design only works if it is pulled off. The games always feel unfinished and it seems the developer is unwilling to listen to constructive criticism. NO fan of these games would be upset if the developers pur a little more depth into the combat. It is a series that looks amazing on paper, does a few things well, but fails on so many levels. First the games are glitchy. There are so many bugs it is ridiculous. Second, yes there are hundreds of NPCs but there's just no character--the atmosphere is akin to any random D&D when it was peaked in popularity. The difference here is that D&D had the players breathing life into the characters; it was what the players made of it. In Elder Scrolls you just listen to a bunch of stoic actors--if these people played D&D with a group of enthusiastic people they would not be invited back. This translates into what the actual atmosphere is. It is dull and lifeless.

These games could be so much more and I don't think anybody would argue with that.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The game worlds are enormous, which makes TES games pretty fun to mess around in with mods. It's not like mods (other than maybe the occasional total conversion) make the game good, though. You are still stuck with Bethesda's mini-RPG collection.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#88  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

CRPG with tactical party based combat, heavy dialogue use and highly interactive worlds with interactive that is relevant are complex and sophisticated.

Skyrim is "just a lot of frivolous shit".

It's like saying Transformers 4 is complex because it's 3 hours long.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#89 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@Heirren:

I'm not blindly defending Bethesda, their games are far from perfect. Terrible voice acting, average story and combat, glitches, etc. That said, they are the best at what they do: Open world games where you can spend literaly hundreds of hours doing everything you want without getting bored.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

If DS was open world like Skyrim, would be pretty sweet........................................ ............ .... ..

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

tl;dr

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Overrated games and devs for sure, but i still love their games. Ditto for Bioware who are also pretty overrated.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Their writing is ok, their stories are terrible, their dialog is ok but lessened by a piss poor animation budget that always makes things seem odd (like someone laughing uncontrollably while the character model does nothing but sway left-to-right), and their RPG mechanics top out at being decent.

They make great worlds though. They are generally huge and no other open world game is as fun to simply explore the environment as theirs are.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#95 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@clyde46 said:

Daily reminder that Bioware are shit.

This comparison would be cool if Witcher games were actually good

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#96 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@faizanhd: JRPGs have better worlds and stories than WRPGs. Better Battle systems too.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 texasgoldrush

@turtlethetaffer said:

@faizanhd: JRPGs have better worlds and stories than WRPGs. Better Battle systems too.

Wrong, nothing beats the setting of Britannia from the Ultima series.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

i disagree, i have put more hours into the elder scrolls and fallout games than i have all the other games combined, i admit that there games can be seriously buggy when first released but they are stil the best RPG's ever made in my opinion.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Fallout 3 & Oblivion.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

Beth games are awesome when modded to the point of being unrecognizable. It's hard to find better open world RPG's than modded New Vegas/Skyrim. The vanilla versions are pretty bad though especially graphically.