Bethesda - the most overrated RPG studio of all time.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by texasgoldrush (9265 posts) -

Yes really.

Very buggy releases, horrific writing, atrocious level scaling, and poor RPG systems, and yet not only do gaming critics fawn over them, their last three releases won the most GOTY awards for the years they were released.

Daggerfall was a buggy nightmare and a complete mess of a game, Morrowind was good despite many irritating flaws but no gem, Oblivion learns nothing of Morrowind's problems and has a broken leveling system, fallout 3 is the worst main fallout game in the series and completely inferior to Obsidans follow up, and Skyrim is an overrated mess fawned by critics while they ignore the many flaws.

When Bethesda games have bugs, they are conveniently ignored, no matter how game breaking they are, while Obsidian or some European RPG developers get crucified by reviewers for their bugs. Nevermind that Bethesda themselves made Obsidian rush New Vegas out. And really, why buy Bethesda games on consoles, where you can get screwed without the ~ commands.

Nevermind their atrocious writing and their noticeable decline in the writing department. Moronic quests, moronic plots, underdeveloped and stupid characters, need I go on. Sure a broken clock is right twice a day, Dawnguard is well written (Serana is great), but wow, most of their writing is bad. Fallout 3 is basically fan fiction in the fallout universe. Bethesda lacks the intrigue and maturity that CD Projeckt Red brings, lacks the poignant human element writing and elite character writing that Bioware has, and lacks the role playing smart writing or legitimate humorous writing of Obsidian.

And as RPGs, Bethesda games suck, The leveling system is broken, where skill systems are unbalanced, and leveling in Elder Scrolls games is tedious. And why level, it doesn't matter, because almost everything scales. this makes leveling absolutely pointless, makes the world less dangerous and intriguing, and makes quest rewards and loot pointless. And there are no real consequences for your actions (outside of Fallout 3 town wipes and somewhat Broken Steel), either through story decisions or exploring due to level scaling.

So all hail New Vegas, the best "Bethesda game" ever made.

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27247 posts) -

Couldn't you blog this?

#3 Edited by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -

Blog it, texasgoldrush.

Nobody cares.

#4 Posted by thereal25 (484 posts) -

I thought fallout 3 was better than new vegas in terms of atmosphere, missions and characters.

But admittedly new vegas did make some improvements - notably in weapons/combat and also the fact that completing the main storyline was a challenge - unlike the ending of fallout 3 which was a walk in the park by comparison.

As for level scaling, I think they just put that in to keep the challenge alive. (And not everything is scaled in Skyrim.)

#5 Edited by sukraj (23204 posts) -

meh chana saga not get ratty not but to blog it book ok bossman.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (14652 posts) -

Amen to that ! :)

Seriously though, other than PC Gamers, I don't get why everybody's got a crush on this studio.

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -
@sukraj said:

Pretty much.

Boo texasgoldrush boo

#8 Edited by PAL360 (27009 posts) -

They create the best and more complex open world RPGs, so no, they are not overated.

#9 Posted by chaplainDMK (6861 posts) -

I'd call Bioware overrated far earlier than Bethesda. The stories and worlds made by them are just as generic, their writing really isn't any freaking better than Bethesda's, and they mesmerize everyone by letting you bang everything that has a hole somewhere on it's body and throwing copious amounts of blood and guts everywhere, no matter how far out of context for the story it is.

Bethesda at least crafts great looking worlds that are fun to explore and full of interesting things to find. Bioware lately just makes incredibly generic tunnels and throws in a few dialogue trees with good bad and gray options.

Meanwhile The Witcher, while great, is based on an established piece of fiction.

#10 Edited by cainetao11 (17999 posts) -

Who could argue, with your track record and all.

#11 Edited by jake44 (2024 posts) -

I have never heard anyone say these things about Bethesda before. You are original. You should be proud.

#12 Edited by clyde46 (46803 posts) -

Daily reminder that Bioware are shit.

#13 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7876 posts) -

Still the news of the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls will make the world stop for a moment. No other RPG has that kind of power.

#14 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (656 posts) -

Absoluetely one of the most overrated. terrible, unfinish buggy product they made. beside new vegas was so much better than fallout 3 and skyrim

@sukraj said:

WTF you just said...

#15 Posted by sukraj (23204 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@sukraj said:

Pretty much.

Boo texasgoldrush boo

no more boo hoo

#16 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3653 posts) -

I'm totally gonna stop playing Oblivion because of you.

#17 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8532 posts) -

I agree. New Vegas is so much better,

#18 Posted by xdrjx (56 posts) -

Bethedsa games + Mod Nexus = best gaming experiences I had. They put out a good framework of game, modders and community will make the game awesome.

#20 Posted by always_explicit (2972 posts) -

I loved fallout 3.

#21 Edited by Cloud_imperium (4318 posts) -

Creating open world RPGs is not an easy job . Bugs are to be expected from such vast games . They are great developers , not perfect but one of the best .

#22 Posted by StormyJoe (5683 posts) -

@texasgoldrush: Brutal.

I like them - which is evident by me logging in 1000+ hours into Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 3:LV.

#23 Posted by Stringerboy (7143 posts) -

Bethesda seem to be incapable of making a game with good combat.

#24 Posted by Motokid6 (5844 posts) -

All Bethesda needs to do is incorporate more dynamic combat, hire more voice actors and animate their npc's. Body language, facial expressions, personalities.. And you have an amazing game. Everything else is fine.

#25 Posted by mems_1224 (47448 posts) -

Skyrim>>>>>>>>>>>>ME1, 2, 3 combined

u mad?

#26 Posted by MBirdy88 (8443 posts) -

@Stringerboy said:

Where have you seen better first person combat? (that isn't a flat out shooter) which bare in mind has to cater to many different classes/builds/playstyles? you make it sound like someone has actually done it better.

#27 Posted by mems_1224 (47448 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Stringerboy said:

Where have you seen better first person combat? (that isn't a flat out shooter) which bare in mind has to cater to many different classes/builds/playstyles? you make it sound like someone has actually done it better.

I never understood the complaints about the combat. I've never had an issue with it. The sword fighting isn't amazing or anything but its good enough. Skyrim actually has some of the best archery of any game though. I've said this before, Ill take Skyrim's combat(especially with mods) over something like TW2.

#28 Edited by Boddicker (2880 posts) -

@clyde46Wow..............just wow.

I never knew the writers at Bioware could be so inept. No Dwarf romance option? No Qunari romance? But we have a tranny option!!!!!

Jennifer Hepler is already on record as saying she would take all the combat out of DA if she could. I suggest you go to your local library and choose from their selection of "choose your own adventure" books.

Back to the subject at hand, yeah, Bethesda is definitely having to deal with a much larger demographic with the hugeness of their ES and Fallout franchises.

Larger demographic = dumbed down

Sad but true.

And as far as bugs go all open world RPG's have them. Just the nature of the beast. I wonder why non-RPG open world games seemingly have so few.

#29 Edited by GreySeal9 (24859 posts) -

TC: I'll admit that Bethesda is the most overrated RPG developer but you have to admit that you're a terrible poster.

#30 Posted by Alcapello (970 posts) -

They have lot of potential.

I could see them having a game that really blows up.

#31 Edited by Seabas989 (10552 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

TC: I'll admit that Bethesda is the most overrated RPG developer but you have to admit that you're a terrible poster.

^This although I just think Bethesda sucks.

#32 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3915 posts) -

I don't understand your point...

1. Dragon Age Origins was praised by reviewers and gamers
  2. Witcher 2 was praised by reviewers and gamers

What's not fair?...

Also...

Skyrim:

• Open World
  • Guilds
  • Character Classes
  • Character Creator

Witcher 2:

1. Not open world
  2. No character classes
  3. No character creator

You say that Bethesda are praised and act like the other games aren't and that's clearly false and you say that Bethesda is praised falsely but please care to name one other western RPG that offers a open world with character classes where you can ignore the main quest and do side missions and explore caves and forts that are arguably as good and as interesting as some of the main missions?... Please let me know so I can play it.

Game breaking bugs?... I played Skyrim for 80+ hours on PC, never came across one. Bugs yes but game breaking no. The only mod I added to Skyrim was a ENB mod and UI mod.

EDIT:

I would like to add that you clearly seem stuck up on the story and writing of a RPG.

May I suggest you just go read a book or watch a movie.

Majority of gamers play western RPG to create a character and play as their favourite class and explore the world and loot for weapons and armour. Its what Oblivion and Skyrim offered to gamers better than any other game to date.

#33 Edited by santoron (7792 posts) -

TGR is lonely again... and look it's his favorite topic.

@clyde46 said:

This...

@mems_1224 said:

And this. With a little bit of...

@sukraj said:

this. Err, I think.

#34 Posted by Heil68 (45750 posts) -

Skyrim was awesome so I dont agree.

#35 Posted by PAL360 (27009 posts) -
@Heil68 said:

Skyrim was awesome so I dont agree.

Same here. I never played Daggerfall and Arena, but Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are some of the best games i have ever played.

#36 Posted by lostrib (39145 posts) -

Bethesda Games: You better love mods!

#37 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7472 posts) -

They really are terrible.

#38 Posted by Krelian-co (11661 posts) -

@santoron said:

TGR is lonely again... and look it's his favorite topic.

@clyde46 said:

This...

@mems_1224 said:

And this. With a little bit of...

@sukraj said:

this. Err, I think.

lol texasbiowaredickraiderextraordinare.

#39 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14686 posts) -

I actually agree, but I'd tie them with bioware.

They make impressive engines (Not bioware), but my god do their games suck.

#40 Edited by wis3boi (31584 posts) -

texasgoldrush thread

#41 Edited by Kevlar101 (6372 posts) -

I love Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

#42 Posted by clone01 (24940 posts) -

TLDR. Blog dat crap.

#43 Edited by xdrjx (56 posts) -

#44 Edited by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

This is the most relevant post in this topic. Thank you based GreySeal

#45 Posted by Chutebox (37647 posts) -

I concur

#46 Edited by bforrester420 (1710 posts) -

@thereal25 said:

I thought fallout 3 was better than new vegas in terms of atmosphere, missions and characters.

But admittedly new vegas did make some improvements - notably in weapons/combat and also the fact that completing the main storyline was a challenge - unlike the ending of fallout 3 which was a walk in the park by comparison.

As for level scaling, I think they just put that in to keep the challenge alive. (And not everything is scaled in Skyrim.)

I just replayed the contemporary Fallout games for the first since since their initial release. I may replay New Vegas again in the future, but I'll never play Fallout 3 again.

#47 Posted by texasgoldrush (9265 posts) -

@xdrjx said:

Bethedsa games + Mod Nexus = best gaming experiences I had. They put out a good framework of game, modders and community will make the game awesome.

yeah, but that's not Bethesda, why do the modders have to fix their games?

#48 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Blog it, texasgoldrush.

Nobody cares.

Pretty much this

#49 Edited by texasgoldrush (9265 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

They create the best and more complex open world RPGs, so no, they are not overated.

Not really, try Black Isle, try Obsidan's Fallout New Vegas, try Arcanum from troika games. Hell try Ultima IV- VIIpt2

Elder scrolls games are not complex at all.

#50 Posted by texasgoldrush (9265 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I actually agree, but I'd tie them with bioware.

They make impressive engines (Not bioware), but my god do their games suck.

Bioware has made better engines.

Aurora was a good engine, it was used for the first Witcher game and Neverwinter Nights 2. Nevermind the Infinity engine that powered Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale as well as their own Baldur's Gate games.

However, the Dragon Age engines were crap.