Are people who have been gaming since the 90s stuck in the past?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts

I don't understand how you can give up on a video game series just because its evolving. Take Resident Evil for example; it used to be survival horror, now its third-person action and its FUN. How is this a negative? Are video games suppost to stay stuck in the past, never changing or evolving?

Maybe the problem isn't the game, maybe its you stuck in 90s.

Are you stuck in the past? or do you welcome change?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Because it's not fun.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
It isn't about being stuck in the past, especially with respect to Resident Evil. I would prefer the survival horror, but as RE4 demonstrates the series can be aweosme as an action series as well. The problem with the new games is that they aren't survival horror AND they're terrible action games. RE5, Mercenaries, Revelations, and Raccoon City are all awful games. Modern games seem to be dead set on taking the "game" out of video games. Games are getting less and less interactive. It's getting to the point where you could get the same experience watching someone else play it as you would playing it yourself, because you're only vaguely in control of what's happening on the screen.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yep, only modern Call of Duty kids know what's up. :roll:

And RE4 was superb, and RE5 sucked donkey balls, so people are expecting RE6 to be terribad.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

No, games were just better back then.

Games got worse when developers started making the games that the market/publisher demanded and not the games they would like to play.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

I don't understand how you can give up on a video game series just because its evolving. Take Resident Evil for example; it used to be survival horror, now its third-person action and its FUN. How is this a negative? Are video games suppost to stay stuck in the past, never changing or evolving?

Second_Hokage

Do you acknowledge that devolution is possible?

If so, then I would suggest that your concept of 'Fun' is really a subjective plebish understanding.

90's games were more complex. Today's games are made for the ADD generation.

So the real question is: are you a crumb bum or human being? (hint: human beings enjoy thinking)

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No, the problem is the new Resident Evil games aren't fun.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

I welcome change to an extent.
Resident Evil 4-6 are departures but they arent butcherings, theyre still zombie shooters that have fluctuating action and adventuring/exploration.
That said, an unenjoyable game is an unenjoyable game. If people dont enjoy 6 then you cant immediately dismiss thier opinion and call them nostalgia whores.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#10 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Rule of Gaming: If it isn't like the original it f*cking sucks. This rule only applies to people who have played the original game. Especially sonic fans who dwell in the past or insane SNES players. People just don't like different games. Some people claim the video game market gets away with selling crappy games. I say thats because they don't like the style of video games nowadays.
tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]

haberman13

If so, then I would suggest that your concept of 'Fun' is really a subjective plebish understanding.

So the real question is: are you a crumb bum or human being? (hint: human beings enjoy thinking)

More complex? More like "more convoluted." Most old games suck nuts by today's standards, and I'm a somewhat dedicated retro gamer.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Second_Hokage

It was very possible to maintain the survival horror aspect of the series without changing it into a action 3rd person shooter. sadly since this generation of gamers are more interested in games that don't require much braincells.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]

tarzanell

More complex? More like "more convoluted." Most old games suck nuts by today's standards, and I'm a somewhat dedicated retro gamer.

You're a crumb bum, incapable of comprehending depth and breadth of thought.

Enjoy the Gears clones ...

edit: hold stick forward, hit trigger occasionally. LOL - how can anyone call this fun? Even from a judgment of value, older games at least tickled the brain, today you will LITERALLY become moronic by giving yourself over to the idiocy of console-ified games.

Stop worrying about releasing endorphines ... and consider the implication of your mind hammering foolish 'taste'. Some things are more valuable than others... that is an unarguable fact. So the question is, what do you consider valuable? Hammering your brain into nothing? Or increasing it's mass?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
i grew up with games from the 90s. they're much better today than they were back then overall. but the best of the games back then are probably better than the best of now
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]

haberman13

Complexity is not a sign of devolution though. That's just your plebish opinion.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 haberman13

i grew up with games from the 90s. they're much better today than they were back then overall. but the best of the games back then are probably better than the best of nowmems_1224

This discussion already died, because people are thinking of things like physics and graphics....

Mechanics, game design, internal elements ... in the 90's these KEY factors were clearly superior.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]

Kickinurass

Complexity is not a sign of devolution though. That's just your plebish opinion.

Occam's razor? I don't think you can apply that here.

Lack of complexity in what is inherently a mind challenge is absolutely a sign of devolution.

edit: for real world proof of the devolution look at school testing in the last 20 years... (policy notwithstanding)

Morons like moronic things, right? Media and entertainment is a reflection of internal social realities.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#18 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]i grew up with games from the 90s. they're much better today than they were back then overall. but the best of the games back then are probably better than the best of nowhaberman13

This discussion already died, because people are thinking of things like physics and graphics....

Mechanics, game design, internal elements ... in the 90's these KEY factors were clearly superior.

What about indie games? Those are fun and they're not about graphics or physics mostly.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Lack of complexity in what is inherently a mind challenge is absolutely a sign of devolution.

haberman13

Games are primarily a source of entertainment. If you were truly worried about challenging your mind, I question why you'd look at gaming in the first place. Even games such as AoEII, Diablo 2, and Deus Ex are fairly simple in the grand scheme of things.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Because it's not fun.

toast_burner
I'm pretty sure RE5 WAS FUN. Yeah, pretty f*cking sure.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]i grew up with games from the 90s. they're much better today than they were back then overall. but the best of the games back then are probably better than the best of nowshadowchronicle

What about indie games? Those are fun and they're not about graphics or physics mostly.

I would classify certain indie games as reflections of 90s games. Legend of Grimrock for a clear example.

So really that just proves the point.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Since the 90's? Try since 1984 :P Gets better every gen
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]i grew up with games from the 90s. they're much better today than they were back then overall. but the best of the games back then are probably better than the best of nowhaberman13

probably. i mean the games back then were a lot harder, but that doesnt really mean they were more fun. and games are a lot more polished now a days.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="tarzanell"][QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

You're a crumb bum, incapable of comprehending depth and breadth of thought.

Enjoy the Gears clones ...

edit: hold stick forward, hit trigger occasionally. LOL - how can anyone call this fun? Even from a judgment of value, older games at least tickled the brain, today you will LITERALLY become moronic by giving yourself over to the idiocy of console-ified games.

Stop worrying about releasing endorphines ... and consider the implication of your mind hammering foolish 'taste'. Some things are more valuable than others... that is an unarguable fact. So the question is, what do you consider valuable? Hammering your brain into nothing? Or increasing it's mass?

You're playing the wrong games, then, bruh.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

Kickinurass

Games are primarily a source of entertainment. If you were truly worried about challenging your mind, I question why you'd look at gaming in the first place. Even games such as AoEII, Diablo 2, and Deus Ex are fairly simple in the grand scheme of things.

Ahh but that is where you are wrong. Entertainment is a reflection of social reality (repeating myself).

Classical music is entertainment... so is JayZ ... I think we can say for certain one challenges your mind, and the other degrades it.

The inference of the 'bro gamer' phenomena is really a reflection of the drop in intelligence in these united states.

edit: if you use the word bro/bruh/brah/etc, your mind is incapable of understanding these deep realities; so don't bother replying!

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#26 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

No, I enjoy new games as well as the old ones, but I find new games tend to be too easy and much shorter. I remember older games were more challenging and were longer, they also weren't broken either when they came out and didn't need patches.

ElephantSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ElephantSwag
Member since 2012 • 68 Posts

No resident evil just sucks now simple as that

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Ahh but that is where you are wrong. Entertainment is a reflection of social reality (repeating myself).

Classical music is entertainment... so is JayZ ... I think we can say for certain one challenges your mind, and the other degrades it.

The inference of the 'bro gamer' phenomena is really a reflection of the drop in intelligence in these united states.

edit: if you use the word bro/bruh/brah/etc, your mind is incapable of understanding these deep realities; so don't bother replying!

haberman13

You're going to have to speak louder, your horse is too high. Bro.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Believe it or not, simpler games can be fun. Besides, one man's "dumbing down" is another man's "distillation".

Heck, I'll even fire up some Rainbow Six evey once in a while. But does that mean Vegas 1 and 2 are horrible compared to the original? Absolutely not. I loved Falcon 3.0. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy Ace Combat. They are what they are and I have no problem having loads of fun with older games as well as the more current ones.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

balfe1990

^ this is what I mean. Some people are truly done with thinking. Not sure when it happened, but it's here.

That isn't a response. And your pointless reference doesn't invalidate my supposition.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 balfe1990

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

^ this is what I mean. Some people are truly done with thinking. Not sure when it happened, but it's here.

That isn't a response. And your pointless reference doesn't invalidate my supposition.

I just can't grasp how people can be so pretentious when it comes to toys.

*My power-ranger is way more artsy and intellectually challenging than yours*

But you obviously dwell on a higher plane of existence, so I wouldn't understand.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

It isn't about being stuck in the past, especially with respect to Resident Evil. I would prefer the survival horror, but as RE4 demonstrates the series can be aweosme as an action series as well. The problem with the new games is that they aren't survival horror AND they're terrible action games. RE5, Mercenaries, Revelations, and Raccoon City are all awful games. Modern games seem to be dead set on taking the "game" out of video games. Games are getting less and less interactive. It's getting to the point where you could get the same experience watching someone else play it as you would playing it yourself, because you're only vaguely in control of what's happening on the screen.famicommander
And if it went back to its intial roots, i bet you'd still continue to **** and say it's boring. That's the issue with gamers, and the the TC valid points of nastalgia and being blinded by it. Capcom had NO choice but to evolve and GET with the times, expecially since RE2 and Code veronica indicated a more action orientated future (cutscenes) It was a natural progression, but also capcom decision to have the majority have interest. That being said, You're NOT forced to play it in such action. (don't melee) (don't collection every item) (switch off the hud and indicator) and play it slow. ANOTHER thing, the original RE's concept and overall SURVIVAL horror genre was dying, hence why the poor sales and capcoms NEED for change.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

listen bro :P its not that people are less intelligent now a days. the majority of people have always been idiots. its just that everything is magnified now a days thanks to the internet. i think now, more than ever, there are so many games that there is something for everyone. we didnt have that in the 90s
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

balfe1990

But you obviously dwell on a higher plane of existence, so I wouldn't understand.

my kimberly has hipster glasses and a beret :P
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Some people can be, certainly.

I can understand appreciating past gens more than current ones, but to act like the past gens were the "golden age of gaming" and to act like gaming is dead now or whatever is just silly to me. Reading sh*t like "HURR DEVELOPERS ONLY CARE ABOUT GRAPHICS AND COD NOW HURR GAMING IS DEAD NOW" or whatever is groanworthy.

I really need to learn to avoid the comments section in youtube.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 balfe1990

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

mems_1224

my kimberly has hipster glasses and a beret :P

You're clearly a better human being than me then.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

mems_1224

listen bro :P its not that people are less intelligent now a days. the majority of people have always been idiots. its just that everything is magnified now a days thanks to the internet. i think now, more than ever, there are so many games that there is something for everyone. we didnt have that in the 90s

And if you actually want challenge, play the souls series, the STALKER series, Portal series (sure the puzzles are easy but it does require good old thinking), etc.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#38 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

mems_1224

I disagree, most people I know don't even read books, they just watch stupid "reality" TV shows. I'm the only one that reads in my circle and they all pick on me because of it.

Then you look at politics and you see people in either 2 camps, and voting for the same thing over and over again, while they let the media spin it how they want to, and they eat it up.

People don't think for themselves. They just want to work and then retire and then die, they don't want to live or learn. I think there has definately been a drop of intelligence in society. Pop culture is a good reflection of society's values, so what does ours say about us? You look at shows like Jersey Shore and people eat that crap up.

For games I don't go around telling people my taste is better than somebody else's, but the market is stagnant, it's mostly filled with shooters and tacked on MP modes now.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 balfe1990

For games I don't go around telling people my taste is better than somebody else's

ShadowMoses900

You absolutely do. You are constantly putting your opinion on a pedestal.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I have been gaming since late 80s and im loving this gen. Just cant stand some new trends.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

For games I don't go around telling people my taste is better than somebody else's

balfe1990

You absolutely do. You are constantly putting your opinion on a pedestal.

:lol: beat me to it
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

balfe1990

Relax you two, it's the understanding of ones EGO, that will reveal mankinds overdeveloped and bloated violent structure. Due to our flawed society and lack of truth of ourselves, THAT ego is the cause of many such conflicts as you now both demostrate. This also is developed by ones SPIRITUAL nature...and higher plane of existences as balfe kindly put it. When one lacks that self love and knowledge one develops and misuses his splintered persona , heavily relying on others misfortune to fill in what he doesn't have or has lost. Can be very ugly if not controled and if one doesn't look within himself to change. :)
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="haberman13"]

ShadowMoses900

I disagree, most people I know don't even read books, they just watch stupid "reality" TV shows. I'm the only one that reads in my circle and they all pick on me because of it.

Then you look at politics and you see people in either 2 camps, and voting for the same thing over and over again, while they let the media spin it how they want to, and they eat it up.

People don't think for themselves. They just want to work and then retire and then die, they don't want to live or learn. I think there has definately been a drop of intelligence in society. Pop culture is a good reflection of society's values, so what does ours say about us? You look at shows like Jersey Shore and people eat that crap up.

For games I don't go around telling people my taste is better than somebody else's, but the market is stagnant, it's mostly filled with shooters and tacked on MP modes now.

idiocracy.png

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 balfe1990

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

soapandbubbles

Relax you two, it's the understanding of ones EGO, that will reveal mankinds overdeveloped and bloated violent structure. Due to our flawed society and lack of truth of ourselves, THAT ego is the cause of many such conflicts as you now both demostrate. This also is developed by ones SPIRITUAL nature...and higher plane of existences as balfe kindly put it. When one lacks that self love and knowledge one develops and misuses his splintered persona , heavily relying on others misfortune to fill in what he doesn't have or has lost. Can be very ugly if not controled and if one doesn't look within himself to change. :)

Cheers for that Buddha.

:P

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Gaming golden age was 1994-2004

Before and after are mostly schit.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="haberman13"]

ShadowMoses900

so what? reading alot=/=automatically smart. just because people watch reality tv shows doesnt mean they're dumb people have never thought for themselves. most people are followers. jersey shore is funny. whats wrong with that? how is being a fan of video games any better than being a fan of reality tv shows? different strokes for different folks dude.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 balfe1990

so what? reading alot=/=automatically smart. just because people watch reality tv shows doesnt mean they're dumb people have never thought for themselves. most people are followers. jersey shore is funny. whats wrong with that? how is being a fan of video games any better than being a fan of reality tv shows? different strokes for different folks dude. mems_1224

People like him enrage me.

Where does this false sense of superiority stem from?

"I read books so I'm better than those people". God, it makes me physically ill.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I have been gaming since late 80s and im loving this gen. Just cant stand some new trends.

PAL360

Same here I started gaming in 1988 and this gen is one of my favorites; Probably because this is the first gen where I could actually afford to purchase most of the games I wanted while the other gens I couldn't afford all the games I wanted.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

You really have had a hard on for terrible looking games lately.

ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts

PAL360

I've been gaming since the late 70s and things are only getting better and better. Try going back and playing Atari 2600! I remember how amazing I thought the NES was! I agree about the trends, I hate motion control, touch control, anything without buttons.