Are people who have been gaming since the 90s stuck in the past?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#51 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
If Halo series evolve into a JRPG, I won't blame people who are "stuck in the past" and would rather play its old FPS versions.
kabphillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 kabphillie
Member since 2012 • 291 Posts

I've been gaming since the early 80s, and I can't say I'm stuck with an interest in Atari level graphics and gameplay. People like what they like and sometimes they don't want to change.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts
If Halo series evolve into a JRPG, I won't blame people who are "stuck in the past" and would rather play its old FPS versions.GhoX
Halo Wars?
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
It's not fun though.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"] so what? reading alot=/=automatically smart. just because people watch reality tv shows doesn't mean they're dumb

I think it does... lol
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="GhoX"]If Halo series evolve into a JRPG, I won't blame people who are "stuck in the past" and would rather play its old FPS versions.Second_Hokage
Halo Wars?

was awesome. it was one of the few rts games on consoles that was actually decent
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mems_1224
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] so what? reading alot=/=automatically smart. just because people watch reality tv shows doesn't mean they're dumb

I think it does... lol

not necessarily. i know people who are book smart but completely lack common sense
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
It's not fun. I think you just have low standards TC.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Ahh but that is where you are wrong. Entertainment is a reflection of social reality (repeating myself).

Classical music is entertainment... so is JayZ ... I think we can say for certain one challenges your mind, and the other degrades it.

The inference of the 'bro gamer' phenomena is really a reflection of the drop in intelligence in these united states.

edit: if you use the word bro/bruh/brah/etc, your mind is incapable of understanding these deep realities; so don't bother replying!

haberman13

Have you ever tried rapping? Surprisingly harder than it looks, especially when it comes to freestyling. While I don't think Jay-Z is on the level of composing as famous Classical musicians, those composers also aren't known for their awesome lyrical abilities. Which is better is honestly dependent on what metric you're using to compare the two. Don't fall into the trap of think Classical European music is superior to all other music - it's a horribly outdated form of musical theory.

I suggest you read up on ethnomusicology. Wouldn't want you to sound uneducated, bro :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I am fairly sure the problem is not that gaming has changed, that people are stuck in the 90's or what not.

Problem is that ALOT of devs and Pubs are pushing games in the same series that people loved in the 90, but they have absolutely nothing at all in common. We are not even speaking of spinoffs, but sometimes different genres alltogether.

Why do that at all, IF you are not trying to cater to the people who were fans of the first games?

It would be easier to make the games spinoffs and such, and RE sure have had thier spinoffs, rather then completely killing the aspects of the series that made it what it was to begin with.

I often wonder "Why" they do it, too costly not to make a new IP, sure I can live with that, Canonical followup, or a reboot, instead of spinoffs? Err.. Why would you do that?

They end up Alienating the people whove seen those series through, in favor of an audience that has no interrest in the series, and it strikes me as odd. Counter productive even, You rarely see the follwoup to a movie change genre entirely, like an Alien Movie which follow up was a romantic comedy, do you? It is kind of the same thing in my mind.

But just wait, Ive said it many times before, within 10 years God of War will become a dating sim about an insecure Spartan who has forgotten the comforts of home, A Uncharted Kart game (and being a canonical sequal, a Devil may cry which revolves about finances of repairs of all that damage, and a Mortal Combat sequal where Scorpion have grown tired of all the fighting and now is a kindergarden teacher.

Point is, that when you remove all possible hallmarks of a Game series, you kill the game, simple as that. The Survival Horror genre has been hit the worst, with all survival AND horror being traded for action and shooting many many many bullets.

Ugh, I forgot to write my Point -.-

Point is: When creating change, do not change what people have an attatchment to, build upon it, new genres for new control schemes, new ideas for how things can be done, is better tested in new IPs, not by ruining things that have millions of fans. Ive been through this hobbys evolution enough to see and know that most the things tryeid will fail, a new IP, for new tech that fails, is not as big a problem, as the damnation of a game series, OR an entire genre just to try to gain a target audience that never cared.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
I've been gaming since the late 70's, early 80's, and I've enjoyed this gen the most.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#62 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I've been gaming since the late 70s and things are only getting better and better. Try going back and playing Atari 2600! I remember how amazing I thought the NES was! I agree about the trends, I hate motion control, touch control, anything without buttons.

ironwarrior2

Exactly. Also DLC, yearly sequels...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] so what? reading alot=/=automatically smart. just because people watch reality tv shows doesn't mean they're dumb

I think it does... lol

not necessarily. i know people who are book smart but completely lack common sense

I meant more the reality show part, when I see an ad for jersey shore or anything like that, I lose a few brain cells...
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#64 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I don't understand how you can give up on a video game series just because its evolving. Take Resident Evil for example; it used to be survival horror, now its third-person action and its FUN. How is this a negative? Are video games suppost to stay stuck in the past, never changing or evolving?

Maybe the problem isn't the game, maybe its you stuck in 90s.

Are you stuck in the past? or do you welcome change?

Second_Hokage

Well sometimes games change for good, sometimes for bad. This example, the change is bad. Resident Evil lost it's identity. It was introduced as a survival horror, and got call of duty syndrome. Not a good change.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"]I think it does... lolparkurtommo

I meant more the reality show part, when I see an ad for jersey shore or anything like that, I lose a few brain cells...

its a hilarious show. i dont watch it often but if im skipping channels and jersey shore is on ill watch it. i dont think im dumb for enjoying it :?
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#66 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] listen bro :P its not that people are less intelligent now a days. the majority of people have always been idiots. its just that everything is magnified now a days thanks to the internet. i think now, more than ever, there are so many games that there is something for everyone. we didnt have that in the 90smems_1224

I disagree, most people I know don't even read books, they just watch stupid "reality" TV shows. I'm the only one that reads in my circle and they all pick on me because of it.

Then you look at politics and you see people in either 2 camps, and voting for the same thing over and over again, while they let the media spin it how they want to, and they eat it up.

People don't think for themselves. They just want to work and then retire and then die, they don't want to live or learn. I think there has definately been a drop of intelligence in society. Pop culture is a good reflection of society's values, so what does ours say about us? You look at shows like Jersey Shore and people eat that crap up.

For games I don't go around telling people my taste is better than somebody else's, but the market is stagnant, it's mostly filled with shooters and tacked on MP modes now.

so what? reading alot=/=automatically smart. just because people watch reality tv shows doesnt mean they're dumb people have never thought for themselves. most people are followers. jersey shore is funny. whats wrong with that? how is being a fan of video games any better than being a fan of reality tv shows? different strokes for different folks dude.

No it's about what you read, which I like doing because every time I have an idea there is already a book that explained it before. It's a good way to expand your mind. People that only do as their told, or more precisely what they think most other people are doing, are the downfall of human progress.

In a democracy it requires all men to be individuals and to question things, this is what stops the government from taking rights away and is nesseccary. If you let a tv show tell you what to like or dislike, or some website tell you what is better or worse, or someone else sway you, then your not an indivivual and shouldn't be allowed to even vote IMO.

And while you are right about different strokes for different folks, I fail completely to see the intellectual proprieties of Jersey Shore or it's kind. Like wise many games, such as the RTS genre, have very good thinking skills inlvolved.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

Ahh but that is where you are wrong. Entertainment is a reflection of social reality (repeating myself).

Classical music is entertainment... so is JayZ ... I think we can say for certain one challenges your mind, and the other degrades it.

The inference of the 'bro gamer' phenomena is really a reflection of the drop in intelligence in these united states.

edit: if you use the word bro/bruh/brah/etc, your mind is incapable of understanding these deep realities; so don't bother replying!

Kickinurass

Have you ever tried rapping? Surprisingly harder than it looks, especially when it comes to freestyling. While I don't think Jay-Z is on the level of composing as famous Classical musicians, those composers also aren't known for their awesome lyrical abilities. Which is better is honestly dependent on what metric you're using to compare the two. Don't fall into the trap of think Classical European music is superior to all other music - it's a horribly outdated form of musical theory.

I suggest you read up on ethnomusicology. Wouldn't want you to sound uneducated, bro :)

I don't like most rap, I find it a lot of it is sexist and deragoatory. But I do like Immortal Technique, it makes you think a lot and the man is a poet. But I don't agree with all of his views, he reminds me of a new age John Turdell.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] not necessarily. i know people who are book smart but completely lack common sense mems_1224

its a hilarious show. i dont watch it often but if im skipping channels and jersey shore is on ill watch it. i dont think im dumb for enjoying it :?

For one to be considered intelligent, one must play Bach on a phonograph, sip the finest vintage brandy and read War and Peace at least once a day.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Second_Hokage

It's not fun. I think you just have low standards TC.DragonfireXZ95
Because you are comparing me to you. Since you disagree that RE is still fun, you believe my standards are inferior to yours. Doesn't make it a fact that my standards are low.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]It's not fun. I think you just have low standards TC.Second_Hokage

Because you are comparing me to you. Since you disagree that RE is still fun, you believe my standards are inferior to yours. Doesn't make it a fact that my standards are low.

Doesn't mean you aren't in denial either.
Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Second_Hokage
[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]It's not fun. I think you just have low standards TC.DragonfireXZ95

Doesn't mean you aren't in denial either.

I can't believe your not going to buy Resident Evil 6 :/
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] listen bro :P its not that people are less intelligent now a days. the majority of people have always been idiots. its just that everything is magnified now a days thanks to the internet. i think now, more than ever, there are so many games that there is something for everyone. we didnt have that in the 90s1PMrFister

I disagree, most people I know don't even read books, they just watch stupid "reality" TV shows. I'm the only one that reads in my circle and they all pick on me because of it.

Then you look at politics and you see people in either 2 camps, and voting for the same thing over and over again, while they let the media spin it how they want to, and they eat it up.

People don't think for themselves. They just want to work and then retire and then die, they don't want to live or learn. I think there has definately been a drop of intelligence in society. Pop culture is a good reflection of society's values, so what does ours say about us? You look at shows like Jersey Shore and people eat that crap up.

For games I don't go around telling people my taste is better than somebody else's, but the market is stagnant, it's mostly filled with shooters and tacked on MP modes now.

idiocracy.png

I don't believe in Eugenics, and it's not pop culture or anything that I'm blaming societies problems on. It's simply that pop culture is a reflection of societies cultural values and I think ours could be a lot better.

It just makes me upset that a lot of people don't read, or don't want to learn for that matter. I believe intelligence is a choice, with different forms of intelligence (emotinal, spacial ect...) but choosing not to read is just odd to me, like why not?

I see it all the time with people discussing politics, many of them have never even read the constitution or any of the writings of the founding fathers (I carry a pocket sized copy of the constitution in my back pocket, seriously I do). And then they talk about things they don't know, or vote.

Same thing with religion, a lot of people don't really read their bible or understand it and then go around pretending like they do, or just listen to what other people tell them. It bothers me.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

For games I don't go around telling people my taste is better than somebody else's

balfe1990

You absolutely do. You are constantly putting your opinion on a pedestal.

FYI

SW isn't real life.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#74 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I can tell you a lot of Pokemon fans are.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"] I meant more the reality show part, when I see an ad for jersey shore or anything like that, I lose a few brain cells...balfe1990

For one to be considered intelligent, one must play Bach on a phonograph, sip the finest vintage brandy and read War and Peace at least once a day.

Correct my dear good sir!

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
There is "change" where a specific formula is evolved. Then there is "drastic change" where a specific formula is tossed out in favor of something new or different. Super Mario Galaxy is an example of positive, evolving change to the same base formula. Resident Evil 4/5 are examples of one formula (survival horror) being thrown out in favor of something different (action-shooter).
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

idiocracy.png

I don't believe in Eugenics, and it's not pop culture or anything that I'm blaming societies problems on. It's simply that pop culture is a reflection of societies cultural values and I think ours could be a lot better.

It just makes me upset that a lot of people don't read, or don't want to learn for that matter. I believe intelligence is a choice, with different forms of intelligence (emotinal, spacial ect...) but choosing not to read is just odd to me, like why not?

I see it all the time with people discussing politics, many of them have never even read the constitution or any of the writings of the founding fathers (I carry a pocket sized copy of the constitution in my back pocket, seriously I do). And then they talk about things they don't know, or vote.

Same thing with religion, a lot of people don't really read their bible or understand it and then go around pretending like they do, or just listen to what other people tell them. It bothers me.

I think you're confusing knowledge with intelligence... Knowledge is simply a vessel for one's intelligence, if someone lacks knowledge their intelligence won't be as apparent but it can still be shown in the simplest of ways... like how this person deals with situations...

You gain knowledge from books, learning vocabulary and facts, etc. but the actual basic functionality and efficiency of the brain is what determines intelligence.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#78 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

One of the problems is the constant focus on old series or just on what is popular. You see all the people whining about a yearly Call of Duty or how games like Resident Evil have changed but there is so much more out their for them to enjoy. Most people are just too lazy to look beyond the old series or the games that get advertised everywhere. Or they like to ignore problems of the old games and act like everything was always perfect.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Resident Evil is BAD EXAMPLE. Its a 18-rated game.

Take NINTENDO games for example.
Was great to play pokemon and mario when I was younger but JUST ONLY playing those games and not evolving and experiencing gaming all round is a bit sad.

Its wonderous and strange seeing these hardcore dedicated Nintendo fans, especially over 21 mark.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I've been gaming since the early 90s and I've enjoyed this gen. I only have a problem when a series loses it's identity. I don't mind change at all, but a series should always stay true to it's roots. For example, if I showed RE4-6 gameplay footage to myself 10 years ago, Resident Evil would be one of the last games I would think it was. Don't get me wrong this doesn't break a game for as I liked RE4 and % (I said RE5 was favourite one in the past, but I would like to retract that statement after trying to play it a second time) but it's still a negative.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I certainly ain't. I loved games in the 90's but mostly games today are different but still fun to play, on my top 5 games of all time I would say 2 or 3 would be from the SNES era.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Best generation so far but there is alot more crap like all PC games and the generic copy paste military shooters

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Was great to play pokemon and mario when I was younger but JUST ONLY playing those games and not evolving and experiencing gaming all round is a bit sad.g0ddyX
Mario 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy One of the biggest evolutions of a genre and series in some of the fewest number of iterations ever. The way you talk about adults playing fun games they enjoy, and implying they shouldn't be playing "kiddie" games, makes me think you are 16 and think playing M-rated games make you "mature". One of the most refreshing experiences I had this gen was playing Super Mario Galaxy 2. It was such a giant leap over SM64 and Sunshine, that I could barely contain my joy in every level... even the nostalgic throwback level.
Avatar image for Stalkerfieldsis
Stalkerfieldsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Stalkerfieldsis
Member since 2011 • 659 Posts

People have to stop arguin over change, change is neither good or bad. Nintendo's games have mostly stayed the same, and its bad and boring. Many games have "devolved" to appeal to the masses due to gaming's more recent mainstream spotlight, which is ALSO bad. Meanwhile games like MMO's in general (more interactive and less detached focus on grinding and stats) have gotten better over time, while many games like Gears, Halo, ARMA, and Uncharted find success in staying with a winning formula, and no Call of Duty is not one of those games, that franchise is currently staler than 40 year old cheetos.

BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts

Sometimes it has merit but most of the time it's kind of silly, at least when it comes to specific genres. Outlooks on the overall state of the industry are 100% correct it is going down the ****

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="g0ddyX"]Was great to play pokemon and mario when I was younger but JUST ONLY playing those games and not evolving and experiencing gaming all round is a bit sad.Zeviander
Mario 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy One of the biggest evolutions of a genre and series in some of the fewest number of iterations ever. The way you talk about adults playing fun games they enjoy, and implying they shouldn't be playing "kiddie" games, makes me think you are 16 and think playing M-rated games make you "mature". One of the most refreshing experiences I had this gen was playing Super Mario Galaxy 2. It was such a giant leap over SM64 and Sunshine, that I could barely contain my joy in every level... even the nostalgic throwback level.

If anything "mature" games are immature...
dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

No, games were just better back then.

Games got worse when developers started making the games that the market/publisher demanded and not the games they would like to play.

nameless12345

Also developers focus more on graphics than story and game-play. Too Human can be an example of this situation. :cool:

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#88 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Majority of people are just stuck in the past cause that's what the grew up with, I started gaming in 1996 and every gen for me has gotten better and better cause games have just gotten better in my eyes. There's only a hand full of games I would still even hold in high regard or play still from the 90's.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I prefer video games from the 90s, but have nothing against most newer games either. I think it boils down to preference in gameplay, graphics, asthetics, sound and many other variables which differ between many games made in the 90s and the games of today. I personally prefer 80s and 90s games to anything released over the past fe years, but that has nothing to do with me being "stuck" I just like older games more.

moronsRusus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 moronsRusus
Member since 2012 • 181 Posts

I don't understand how you can give up on a video game series just because its evolving. Take Resident Evil for example; it used to be survival horror, now its third-person action and its FUN. How is this a negative? Are video games suppost to stay stuck in the past, never changing or evolving?

Second_Hokage
Games arent fun anymore and the music sucks.
Codepix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Codepix
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

Because games nowadays are becoming more suitable to casual gamers. For me, as a hardcore gamer, it is killing my interest in modern video games.

I want more complex games like in the 90s. Not some simple casual garbage.

Codepix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Codepix
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

Change is good, but do not mistake change with actual gameplay. Many games in days past where stronger in story telling and even more challenging than today's games. Why? Because with consoles and mobiles developers want to reach more and more "gamers" and titles have to be "suited" for a larger audience.

Asuming that people who played games in the past are stuck, is a missconception. Most of us have evolved from Atari to PC and Consoles. Sometimes I think it would be good for newcomers to games that they take a look at games of the past as well. In the past, developers had more freedom to make games, while nowadays publishers have most of the power to decide what games are to be produced.

bayernfan

This is what kills games. I hate the way games are heading.

If it continues like this, I won't be supporting new games by not buying them and go 100% retro.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

Second_Hokage
Of course I am! f*ck changes, gimme more of the same sh!t we used to love, no f2p or dlc, fun games with infinite replayability...
moronsRusus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 moronsRusus
Member since 2012 • 181 Posts
By the time the video game industry became mainstream it was no longer relevant to gamers. YOUR NEWS IS OLD NEWS.