Are console users still waiting for proper "next gen" game?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Are console users still waiting for proper "next gen" game? (76 votes)

Yes 55%
No 29%
Rocky 5 wasn't that bad 16%

My friends, many people awed by watchdogs, the graphics, the idea of hacking in an interconnected world.

The promise was hell, was this truly a next generation experience?

It appears the answer was, no.

It been well over a year now. Has the Xbox One or Playstation 4 actually had any proper leap forward next generation titles? Graphics wise, none are, PC has been at this level and above for a long time. Game play wise? Just seems like more of the same to me, but I require your highly sought after opinions.

• 
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

And you expected a third party game to show super-duper amazing graphics?

Why not ? Some third party games on PC have super-duper amazing graphics ? :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@MonsieurX said:

And you expected a third party game to show super-duper amazing graphics?

Why not ? Some third party games on PC have super-duper amazing graphics ? :)

Exactly. The games.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Keep waiting, in the mean time, I'll enjoy taking selfies on a nice tropical volcano and racing down the sunset in my nifty go-kart.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Are we talking just Graphics here or overall next gen games???

I mean you mention just consoles but I don't see anything that much next gen on PC at all, couple of games graphics wise are inspiring, but for me next gen is going to be about AI, I want more human inspired AI, I want lets say a Fallout or a Last Of Us game, where the AI enemies are just like me, limited ammo, limited resources, more in tune that they could be killed as much as i can be killed, more human aspects, we always come into a game with enemies who are set to kill you with unlimited ammo and i sit with limited bullets hoping to get a good shot with them pretty much shooting small bursts before taking cover, I want to see a more intelligent battle or new ways of getting around these fire fights, even to a point of being able to wave the white flag and do business to keep alive instead of it being a kill or be killed world, that is true next gen for me, if it is to happen.

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55  Edited By MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:
@Pray_to_me said:

@TheFadeForever said:

Yea keep telling yourself that oh btw there are console command to remove hud in crysis 3 lol

@Pray_to_me said:

Funny cuz it's PC that's still waiting for a game that isn't a 7th gen console port sorry hermits.

That supposed to impress? lol shit looks mad last gen. Plus it's linear too rofl!

Yet you called KZSF next gen looking

oh look ISS posted by fellow own cow

What if I told you, posting unflattering pictures of a game will make it look... unflattering?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#56 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@CroidX said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@deadline-zero0: meh not really. I'm so tired of hearing this Shit as it's from pc gamers who haven't touched a PS4. Waiting for a next gen game? It was called Infamous SS and it is the best looking open world game, PERIOD.

lol coming from a guy who thought Second Son look better than Crysis 3

Crysis 3 isn't open world BONK!

And i said the most potent, unmodded graphical games. Can a next gen console run Crysis 3 maxed out at 1080p and maintain a stable 30fps? Probably not. Or they'd be near the edge atleast.

That's what i mean by potent. Whenever a developer that isn't exclusive wants to push the limits of graphics, particle effects, lighting, and general tech, they use PC, like Crysis, The Wicther and Star Citizen (waiting on that one).

But that doesn't mean games like Ryse, Killzone, Infamous and The Order don't look good. In fact, they look next gen, i didn't mean otherwise.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

These will end the thread for you. Graphics wise it's so far beyond anything else out there it's not funny including pc games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I think Arkham Knight is going to be a game that will make people sit up and take notice as to what the potential of this gen truly will have to offer. I've read numerous previews saying the visuals are jaw-dropping and that it's "the best looking game they've ever seen".

I've been told that this is a real-time, in-engine shot. I find that incredibly difficult to buy, but given Rocksteady, who knows. Regardless, the game's going to be a looker. This supposedly is confirmed in-game (difference to me looks like lighting mostly):

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@MikeMoose said:

@TheFadeForever said:
@Pray_to_me said:

@TheFadeForever said:

Yea keep telling yourself that oh btw there are console command to remove hud in crysis 3 lol

@Pray_to_me said:

Funny cuz it's PC that's still waiting for a game that isn't a 7th gen console port sorry hermits.

That supposed to impress? lol shit looks mad last gen. Plus it's linear too rofl!

What if I told you, posting unflattering pictures of a game will make it look... unflattering?

lol these pics were posted by cows on the forums

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

graphically, infamous looks good to me.

gameplay wise....what does that even mean? is everyone looking for a new genre?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#61  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Well, Second Son, or even Shadow Fall and Ryse, look better than i expected early 8th gen games would look. So no, this gen is starting pretty well, graphics wise.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Nope.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Well, Second Son, or even Shadow Fall and Ryse, look better than i expected early 8th gen games would look. So no, this gen is starting pretty well, graphics wise.

Totally agreed.

Even games like Watch Dogs that don't look as good and are cross gen games do give that next gen look when they are running at their best (PS4 version, haven't played Xbone version).

Next gen is definitely here graphics wise, to argue otherwise is foolishness at this point. Someone could argue that "nextgen gameplay" isn't here yet but I don't even know what that means.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By uninspiredcup

@gpuking said:

These will end the thread for you. Graphics wise it's so far beyond anything else out there it's not funny including pc games.

But Crysis 3 looks better.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Infamous Second Son looks far better than both versions of the game, and truly looks next gen. Besides, youre overblowing the differences from the PC and PS4 versions. Why is it that people act like theres such huge differences between PC and console multiplats? http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/05/27/watch-dogs-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/86291/

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@CroidX said:

@TheFadeForever said:
@Pray_to_me said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@Pray_to_me said:

It pointless trying to argue with him he apparently thinks ISS looks better than this and cried that it was some modded bullshot. He usually ends up doing some lame trolling attempt .

Lol dude that looks like garbage.

Only reason I'm crying is because your linear last-gen console port is hurting my eyes LMFAO!

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: Why not? I hope you're not using Watchdogs as an example. The current gen version barely looks better than the last gen version. The gen just started. Uncharted and Halo 5 will look fantastic. Think about Uncharted 4 and realize its going to be equivalent to Uncharted 1 in terms of lifecycle. Games like Watchdogs are also held back by last gen development. These systems are 10 times more powerful, doubt weve seen what they can do.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PAL360

@I_can_haz said:

@PAL360 said:

Totally agreed.

Even games like Watch Dogs that don't look as good and are cross gen games do give that next gen look when they are running at their best (PS4 version, haven't played Xbone version).

Next gen is definitely here graphics wise, to argue otherwise is foolishness at this point. Someone could argue that "nextgen gameplay" isn't here yet but I don't even know what that means.

Yep. In my opinion, the best example of it is still Battlefield 4. Its a multiplatform, cross generation game, and still managed to improve on everything compared to last gen versions (graphics, framerate, resolution and player count).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Mario Kart 8 is Next Gen..... ;)

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@PAL360 said:

@I_can_haz said:

@PAL360 said:

Totally agreed.

Yep. In my opinion, the best example of it is still Battlefield 4. Its a multiplatform, cross generation game, and still managed to improve on everything compared to last gen versions (graphics, framerate, resolution and player count).

Oh yea I forgot BF4. A really impressive game and a perfect example of how much more powerful the new consoles are compared to the previous generation. I was in the BF4 beta on PS3 and compared to the PS4 version it looks and plays really terrible. It's literally a night and day difference between both versions.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PAL360

@I_can_haz said:

@PAL360 said:

@I_can_haz said:

@PAL360 said:

Totally agreed.

Oh yea I forgot BF4. A really impressive game and a perfect example of how much more powerful the new consoles are compared to the previous generation. I was in the BF4 beta on PS3 and compared to the PS4 version it looks and plays really terrible. It's literally a night and day difference between both versions.

True. I was in the 360 beta.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Why not? I hope you're not using Watchdogs as an example. The current gen version barely looks better than the last gen version. The gen just started. Uncharted and Halo 5 will look fantastic. Think about Uncharted 4 and realize its going to be equivalent to Uncharted 1 in terms of lifecycle. Games like Watchdogs are also held back by last gen development. These systems are 10 times more powerful, doubt weve seen what they can do.

See that's the mistake people make. Don't use the PS3 as an example, you can't. The complexity of the PS3 is why you saw such a huge jump from the beginning of the gen to the end. And that wasn't a good thing, the X360 enjoyed a much more consistent graphical output all gen and that's what you'll see this gen. On the X360 the graphical jumps across the gen were much more incremental. Gears 2 looks an improvement on Gears 1, but not by a huge amount and Gears 3, to me almost looks like a refinement in the art style rather than a direct improvement, because to be honest I think I prefered the look of Gears 2 to 3. Honestly, don't expect large jumps.

You know at the DX12 reveal, MS showed that CPU levelling and management thing, well Sony has now decided to do their own for the PS3 and PS4. THEY'RE STILL trying to max out the PS3 here and there. That's how bad that is.

My opinion is like this because I've yet to see a whole lot since even the reveal of these consoles, so I'll believe it when I see it. And it's just not a good sign so far that the current gen are struggling to produce stunning graphics at 60fps.

At least last gen the X360 started showing its potential at least from the beginning with PDZ and Kameo.

And 10x more powerful? I'm not so sure about that, so far it looks more like 3x or 4x more powerful at best.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@amazonangry said:

Nope. Are pc gamers still waiting for gta 5?

What your point ?

X1 and Ps4 are still waiting for GTA

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By gpuking

@uninspiredcup

lol no it really doesn't.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 uninspiredcup

@gpuking said:

@uninspiredcup

But it is.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@gpuking said:

@uninspiredcup

...and this is why no one takes you seriously

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By gpuking

I don't expect hermits to agree with me nor reply with any sort of logic, so yeah.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@gpuking said:

I don't expect hermits to agree with me nor reply with any sort of logic, so yeah.

as if you ever reply with any sort of logic

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:

@MikeMoose said:

@TheFadeForever said:
@Pray_to_me said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@Pray_to_me said:

Considering that's my infamous pic, bullshit.

Pardon my French.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

So far I have to say that we haven't seen anything really impressive this gen, sure the character models look great, but that's about it. Every game that looks good have had many compromises, usually poor draw distance and/or lod distance even though they are mostly running only on somewhat stable 30fps at 900p/1080p. Not having more than one light source casting shadows at a time is not a big deal however, most pc games also have that.
I was disappointed when the specs of these consoles were first announced but even then I expected a little more from the start of this gen tbh.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By gpuking

Plenty of impressive games released on PS4 that's for sure even though we're still waiting on the uber insane ones like UC4, The Order, GOW4, Quantic Dream's game and GT7.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Lulu_Lulu

@gpuking

Quantic Dream doesn't make Games. :o

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@gpuking

Quantic Dream doesn't make Games. :o

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@MikeMoose said:

@TheFadeForever said:
@Pray_to_me said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@Pray_to_me said:

Considering that's my infamous pic, bullshit.

Pardon my French.

well excuse me for putting your pic that I grabbed from a comment chain

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#85  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Ive been saying for awhile, the true next gen game is The Witcher 3. Devs are so bogged down making new games on old hardware.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Shmiity said:

Ive been saying for awhile, the true next gen game is The Witcher 3. Devs are so bogged down making new games on old hardware.

Crysis 3 is currently the absolutely king of graphics. It was developed not for "this" generation but last generation. Likewise, Assassins Creed: Black Flag is developed with last generation in mind and currently looks superior to any console exclusive title.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Killzone Shadow Fall and inFamous Second Son say hi!

There is still lot of untapped potential in PS4 though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BlbecekBobecek said:

But Crysis 3 looks better. Old game.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 BlbecekBobecek

@uninspiredcup said:

@BlbecekBobecek said:

It is a draw between Crysis 3 maxed out and Killzone Shadow Fall in terms of graphics. You can't honestly say that one or the other looks better overall.

inFamous Second Son is technologically more advanced, because it manages to pull of the same level of visuals in an open world environment.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 uninspiredcup

@BlbecekBobecek said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@BlbecekBobecek said:

It is a draw between Crysis 3 maxed out and Killzone Shadow Fall in terms of graphics.

No it isn't, Crysis 3 looks better.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 BlbecekBobecek

@uninspiredcup said:

@BlbecekBobecek said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@BlbecekBobecek said:

It is a draw between Crysis 3 maxed out and Killzone Shadow Fall in terms of graphics.

No it isn't, Crysis 3 looks better.

Yes it is. If anything, Killzone Shadow Fall looks a tad better.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By gpuking

@uninspiredcup

Just let it go mate, C3 has run its course, new games look better now, it's a natural thing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 uninspiredcup

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 uninspiredcup

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Just saw Watchdogs on my brothers PS4 compared to my pc. it seems my pc is really good and alot better, about half a generation ahead. And these things will be around for 7-8 years, so multiple generations ahead by the end of it.

dat half generation difference. pc fanboys remain the worst and the most devoid of any sense

richardclark19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 richardclark19
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I think the console haven`t reached a next gen yet since the xbox 360 and xboxOne both have nothing much in difference and the graphic elements are the same controls gameplay features everything .

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#97 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@m3dude1 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Just saw Watchdogs on my brothers PS4 compared to my pc. it seems my pc is really good and alot better, about half a generation ahead. And these things will be around for 7-8 years, so multiple generations ahead by the end of it.

dat half generation difference. pc fanboys remain the worst and the most devoid of any sense

You took uninspiredcup seriously? Every PC gamer knows Watch dogs looks like shit. Erm..Excuse me.., it's not a graphically impressive game on any system. No one will argue against that.

But I thoroughly disagree with the statement in bold.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

November 15th is still almost 6 months away to make it a year.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

A 'proper next gen game' is extremely subjective. I suppose they could be waiting, depending on their interpretation.

This. It's a completely pointless question because it's 100% subjective.

There are plenty of games that have released on both consoles that would be impossible on previous gen consoles.

Isn't that the definition of a "next-gen" game?

Wait until E3. If there is nothing truly impressive after the event, then complain.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#100  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Right now the games are identical in gameplay ... it was obvious it will be the case when the controller didn't change at all ... so obviously the ideas that developpers will have will be the fucking same ... only pgrahics will see an improvement and even then they all struggle from time to time to keep up the frame rate the same.

I don't think I'll buy any of the consol this gen, no one offer anything new. it is the same crap with more impressive graphics ... so no thankyou.

PC isn't better, gameplay never involved the only thing is they have smoother games with shinier graphics but then, they play the same turd from 3rd party developpers.

Sorry to be cynical but I don't see how any of those system have anything that's really worth it...