All-time best video game composer? (poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

-Yasunori Mitsuda

-Ko Otani, just for Shadow of the Colossus which is one of the best there is.

-Nobuo Uematsu

-ACE+

-Koji Kondo

-Grant Kirkhope

-Tsu-- you know what too hard, I consider Ko and Koji the best, but to discredit the rest, can't do it.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Gotta go with Nobuo Uematsu, I enjoyed pretty much all of his music piece.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 TilxWLOC

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Nobuo Uematsu bar none.

HAZE-Unit

Well thats not Uematsu, that Mitsuda too!

Jeez, that's right, Chrono Trigger is one of the best soundtracks there is, very memorable too. That's it I just can't pick, I pick 'em all you are all the best, video game composers! Except for the guys that suck, but I didn't play your games.

Oh, and the guy who did FFXIII(-2), those were all over the place, not a solid soundtrack.

Avatar image for Consolessuck187
Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Consolessuck187
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts
Sega arcade games had the best music. Joe satriani played on sega rally 95 arcade soundtrack.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Daisuke Ishiwatari.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

No Martin O'Donnell?

FAIL :evil:

Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Consolessuck187
Go to putt putt golf back in the day or tilt none of these new games had the amazing vibe of the soundtracks of these new arcade machines they got in all the time by sega id go play. just make you want kick some ass lol.
Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Consolessuck187
speaking of tilt i have a primal rage tilt token blizzards on it purple coin.
epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 epicgameplayer
Member since 2013 • 882 Posts
The best all time FULL video game OT is Shadow of the Colossus. Its consistent. It all sounds good and it is very moving.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Good to see Nobuo taking this.  I wouldnt say hes objectively the best, there are so many brilliant game composers out there, but hes certainly my favorite without a doubt!

epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 epicgameplayer
Who composed Shadow of the Colossus? He is a legend for is work on that game alone Also, one of the greatest composers ever is working on the Last of Us. All the more reason to be excitied for it!
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ConanTheStoner

Glancing a few posts up it reminds me...

As awesome as Nobuo is, he tends to get credited (by gamers) for a ton of amazing work that he had absolutely nothing to do with.

That doesnt take away from his awesomeness at all, but people should really do a little research before slapping his name on every bad ass track to ever come from Square.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ConanTheStoner

Who composed Shadow of the Colossus? He is a legend for is work on that game aloneepicgameplayer

I'm agreeing with you, its weird.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Who ever does Halo and Metal GearNintendo_Ownes7

Metal Gear is Harry Gregson-Williams I don't know who composes the Halo soundtrack.

Granted he ripped the main theme off of Sviridov.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Who ever does Halo and Metal GearPannicAtack

Metal Gear is Harry Gregson-Williams I don't know who composes the Halo soundtrack.

Yeah, I was bummed when I heard about that.  Old Kojima looked like he was about to cry when they played it for him.

epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 epicgameplayer
[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]I actually love the Infamous soundtrack too This piece especially from 0:44 to 0:57 is just amazing. So melodic That part that starts at around 0:50-55 and which alternates for a little while is what makes this piece amazing Hearing this song in Infamous 2 while you fought the beast in a final showdown was just so epic and really added to the already epic ass climax of the game. So memorable. Infamous 2 is so under rated!

Hope more people can see this post and enjoy it ^ Great composition to an amazing game (Infamous 2)
epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 epicgameplayer

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]Who composed Shadow of the Colossus? He is a legend for is work on that game aloneConanTheStoner

Its not weird! I always make sense! If you werent such a playstation hater you would be agreeing with me on a lot more things too! But yeah, i recently beat Shadow of the Colossus HD remake. Not only does it still hold up as an amazing game in todays time, the soundtrack completely blew me away Who ever is responsible for the OT, he is a legend, and i want to shake his hand and give him a hug haha
TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 TilxWLOC

PannicAtack

Oh, thank you, I heard that the theme was similar to some Russian song, and I wanted to look it up lately, kept forgetting. You made the search easier, and man is that similar. I wonder if it was intentional.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]Who composed Shadow of the Colossus? He is a legend for is work on that game aloneepicgameplayer

Its not weird! I always make sense! If you werent such a playstation hater you would be agreeing with me on a lot more things too! But yeah, i recently beat Shadow of the Colossus HD remake. Not only does it still hold up as an amazing game in todays time, the soundtrack completely blew me away Who ever is responsible for the OT, he is a legend, and i want to shake his hand and give him a hug haha

Agreed, the game and ost are both outstanding.  And fresh.  They dont remind me of anything else in this industry.

And hilarious that you still think I'm a PS hater even though we've been through this so many times.

But if you keep on biting, I'll keep on fishing.

PS:  Gears is awesome and Uncharted is poop.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TilxWLOC

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]

Who composed Shadow of the Colossus? He is a legend for is work on that game alone

epicgameplayer

No, he's right, it sucks to agree with you. Also, it's Ko Otani.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]This was the great times in gaming before it got too big for it's britches.

Another thing bought on eBay to impress people on a forum?
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]This was the great times in gaming before it got too big for it's britches. MonsieurX

Heh, that would be pretty sad considering how un-impressive it is.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

TilxWLOC

Oh, thank you, I heard that the theme was similar to some Russian song, and I wanted to look it up lately, kept forgetting. You made the search easier, and man is that similar. I wonder if it was intentional.

I think it's interesting. The original piece sort of evokes this feeling of walking alone through a blizzard, while the MGS theme is more of a military march you'd hear in some kind of thriller (which the games are, in a way). Large part of that comes down to the rhythm and instrumentation. I like Sviridov. I actually got the album with the composition in question. I've also had a wonderful opportunity to perform some of his choral music, specifically his "Pushkin Wreath."
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]This was the great times in gaming before it got too big for it's britches. ConanTheStoner

Heh, that would be pretty sad considering how un-impressive it is.

It's Heewee, just report him for ban-dodging again.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 PannicAtack

lol @ these kids dont believe im 28Consolessuck187
28 and still making accounts and spamming the forums with your off-topic bullshit.

Believe me, it'd be better if you were under the age of 28.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 ConanTheStoner

I still have tilt arcade tokens i never used. lol @ these kids dont believe im 28Consolessuck187

I'm 30.  I don't give a sh*t about your tokens and it seems a bit desperate that you want kids to believe you're 28.  As if that's some accomplishment.  

"Hey guys, my mom and dad f*cked about 29 years ago and here I am,  worship me and my arcade nostalgia!"

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]lol @ these kids dont believe im 28Consolessuck187

28 and still making accounts and spamming the forums with your off-topic bullshit.

No this isnt off topic. Arcade games had better music than all the garbage on games today.

You rambling about arcade tokens when nobody cares is off-topic when we're discussing the actual subject.
Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Consolessuck187
[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"]28 and still making accounts and spamming the forums with your off-topic bullshit.

PannicAtack
No this isnt off topic. Arcade games had better music than all the garbage on games today.

You rambling about arcade tokens when nobody cares is off-topic when we're discussing the actual subject.

primal rage music owned not off topic OWNED
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="Consolessuck187"] No this isnt off topic. Arcade games had better music than all the garbage on games today.

primal rage music owned not off topic OWNED

Yes. "Owned." Spoken like a fourteen year-old. But I guess that's a step-up from your usual demonstration of a ten year-old's maturity.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]I still have tilt arcade tokens i never used. lol @ these kids dont believe im 28Consolessuck187

I'm 30.  I don't give a sh*t about your tokens and it seems a bit desperate that you want kids to believe you're 28.  As if that's some accomplishment.  

"Hey guys, my mom and dad f*cked about 29 years ago and here I am,  worship me and my arcade nostalgia!"

You wish you had that token

Man, I was going to troll you, but this is kind of sad actually.  That token means a lot to you, huh?

I spent way too much of my youth in the arcades, yet I have no idea what that tokens value is, nor do I care.  You could tell me its the only one of its kind and I wouldn't give a sh*t.

When I want to buy old arcade stuff, I buy actual machines, not tokens.  Just got some new chips in for my UMK3 cabinet the other day actually.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ConanTheStoner

If i gave this to you? You wouldnt take it? LOL yea rightConsolessuck187

Depends.  If I could easily sell it off for a price that is worth my time then sure.

Otherwise, no.

Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Consolessuck187
point is arcade games had awesome music. i dont know the composers but i can list all the badass arcade games i played with awesome music.
Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Consolessuck187
poggs real relevant to kids of today.
epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 epicgameplayer

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

TilxWLOC

No, he's right, it sucks to agree with you. Also, it's Ko Otani.

Delusional xbots disagree with me. Thats how i know im right lol. And regardless of how you feel about me or what ever insane pre conceived notions you have of me in your head, what i say most of the time is correct If somebody you hate says water is wet, guess what, he is still right. You people are like monkeys
Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Consolessuck187
Had true epic sounding guitar work.
Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Consolessuck187
zaiux 4 years ago ****ing Great Song! There is No videogame music like SEGA's in this world! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJT-fkDN0P4 THIS GUYS RIGHT
epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 epicgameplayer

[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"][QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

ConanTheStoner

You wish you had that token

Man, I was going to troll you, but this is kind of sad actually.  That token means a lot to you, huh?

I spent way too much of my youth in the arcades, yet I have no idea what that tokens value is, nor do I care.  You could tell me its the only one of its kind and I wouldn't give a sh*t.

When I want to buy old arcade stuff, I buy actual machines, not tokens.  Just got some new chips in for my UMK3 cabinet the other day actually.

And so what if that token is special to him. Maybe it reminds him of a special event or moment in his life People have all sorts of items like that they will cherish because it is a gift and reminder of some one special or triggers an emotion or memories. Who are you judge, and who are you to say what is of importance and what isnt. "Another mans trash is another mans treasure etc" You truly are a douche bag.. Go slap yourself
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ConanTheStoner

And so what if that token is special to him. Maybe it reminds him of a special event or moment in his life People have all sorts of items like that they will cherish because it is a gift and reminder of some one special or triggers an emotion or memories. Who are you judge, and who are you to say what is of importance and what isnt. "Another mans trash is another mans treasure etc" You truly are a douche bag.. Go slap yourselfepicgameplayer

Yyyyyeeeaaahhh, ok brofists lol.

I'm not the one that tried shoving my opinions on him saying stuff like "YOU WISH YOU HAD THIS TOKEN, YOU KIDS DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS TOKEN"... I wouldnt have said a word about it had he not been so abrasive.  Honestly, what does his token even have to do with a topic about game composers?

Man I used to troll you hard but now I don't even try.  You just read my posts and get upset.

Auto-trolling, I guess I should at least get points for that, right?

And you still think I'm a lem.  Even though I don't own a 360 and I've shown you pics of my PS3 on multiple occasions.  I don't even know what to say other than thanks for the constant entertainment you provide.

BTW, did you get my PM yesterday?

Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Consolessuck187
Guitar players back in the day were really better songwriters compare some modern glamrock like black veil brides some random 80s glam band like winger blows their ass away.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 ConanTheStoner

Guitar players back in the day were really better songwriters compare some modern glamrock like black veil brides some random 80s glam band like winger blows their ass away.Consolessuck187

Agreed, but still...

I think you would enjoy being Amish.

epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 epicgameplayer
Off topic I dont go out of my way to listen to rock But If something sounds good its sounds good and i will like it no matter what it is IMO this is one of the greatest rock songs of all time
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]Guitar players back in the day were really better songwriters compare some modern glamrock like black veil brides some random 80s glam band like winger blows their ass away.epicgameplayer

Agreed, but still...

I think you would enjoy being Amish.

Why did this make me laugh so much?! Damn you!

We will be friends by the end of this Brofists.

Oh yes, we will.  :x

Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Consolessuck187
It's not nostgia im open minded it just doesnt sound as cool to me i loved this video game music first time i heard these video games tunes back in the day.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Rob Hubbard - 80s icon.

Avatar image for xboxrulesin2001
xboxrulesin2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 xboxrulesin2001
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
This songs amazing where's the better videogame music today? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9RruxKK6I
SentientMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 SentientMind
Member since 2013 • 361 Posts

It's very hard to compare this when you consider how long games have been around, and how much game music has evolved. While I may love the classic Zelda NES theme, or Mega Man 2, it doesn't really compare to modern music, specifically the ochestra instilled in some modern games. 

I could probably write a book on music in movies, but I am a little less clear on music in games. Crysis 2's music, specifically the Hans Zimmer songs are some of the best I have heard in a long time though. Crysis 3 also has a few standout songs that are really incredible. Maybe including a Hans Zimmer song is a little cheap though, considering he is one of the best modern composers. 

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Uematsu just for the sheer amount of amazing tracks hes done.  Too many to count!  I guess the same could be said of Koji.

Also mad props to whoever composed

Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy XII

Chrono Trigger

Shadow of the Collossus

And a lot of the Prime series tracks.

Dont know the names, but those are some awesome people lol.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Marty O' Donnell OBVIOUSLY

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#149 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Here's my case for Uematsu-san.

The LastStory

Melodies of Life (FF9)

Aerith's Theme (FF7)

To Zanarkand (FF10)

Suteki Da Ne (FF10)

Celes' Theme (FF6)

The Man with the Machine Gun (FF8)

Unfortunately, I have two exams today, so that would be all for now.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#150 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I will say this again....

NOBUO UEMATSU