All-time best video game composer? (poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

David Wise, Grant Kirkhope for their work with Rare. I listen to more Rare music than any other game soundtracks.

However, I think Marty O'Donnel is in a league of his own when it comes to "epic" soundtracks.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Shoji Meguro and Yoko Shimomura
Avatar image for trigger_cross93
trigger_cross93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 trigger_cross93
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts

No love for Yasunori Mitsuda???  Chrono Cross might have one of the best soundtracks of all time... Also Yoko Shimomura is pretty damn good if you ask me... There are many great composers though.   Those are just my top 2...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

David Wise, Grant Kirkhope for their work with Rare. I listen to more Rare music than any other game soundtracks.

However, I think Marty O'Donnel is in a league of his own when it comes to "epic" soundtracks.

Ly_the_Fairy

One Final Effort all day, erryday

Dat Piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix5rI2YG-ns

One day I'll learn to embed...sigh if only the game was as awesome as the soundtrack ;(

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

jg4xchamp

Dat Piano

One day I'll learn to embed...sigh if only the game was as awesome as the soundtrack ;(

On youtube, under the video, you'll see a "share" tab, and under that "embed", and then you just copy/paste the link in the box underneath.

And Halo 3 is awesome! Maybe the campaign itself isn't the best of the bunch, but the overall package definitely is the best :cool:

Game_Guy567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Game_Guy567
Member since 2009 • 3427 Posts

Ly_the_Fairy

Brings back so many memories of me and my friend crashing into $hit and falling to ours deaths.:P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

Dat Piano

On youtube, under the video, you'll see a "share" tab, and under that "embed", and then you just copy/paste the link in the box underneath.

And Halo 3 is awesome! Maybe the campaign itself isn't the best of the bunch, but the overall package definitely is the best :cool:

Not even worthy of being 2nd place.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 jg4xchamp

Listen to the video i posted They arent any heartful compositions like that in Viva Pinata... epicgameplayer

Because it would make no sense in a game like Viva Pinata.

That's like expecting Seinfeld to have the same level of emotional resonance as Six Feet Under.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] One Final Effort all day, erryday

Dat Piano

jg4xchamp

I think I'm going to be sick.

Game_Guy567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Game_Guy567

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]

Listen to the video i posted They arent any heartful compositions like that in Viva Pinata... jg4xchamp

That's like expecting Seinfeld to have the same level of emotional resonance as Six Feet Under.

This doesn't count? :|

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#61 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Nobuo Uematsu bar none.

Game_Guy567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Game_Guy567

[QUOTE="Game_Guy567"][QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]Who ever composed this is the greatest. Thats how beautiful this piece is.

p.s The best composers are almost always Japanese. American compositions are so bland and emotionless by comparison Listen to a good Japanese composer or good Japanese composition. Its a night and day difference You can sense all the heart poured into the music shining through So much more feeling. You can feel the emotions and inspirations in Japanese compositions. Much better put together as well. Thats why Sony and Nintendo are much more creative then M$ is and are much better then M$ is The Japenese are very pasionate about what they do. Sony is very passionate about gaming and its fanbase. You see that shinning through in the PS4 brighter then ever and you saw it in the PS3 as well .... Where as Microsoft is just your average big shady aMURRican corp out to make as much profit as possible and at any expense possible I cant say this enough, f^ck you Microsoft, and f^ck your lackluster Gears/Halo/Forza games too lol Anyway, Asians are really in tune with music, and are much more creative and soulful composersepicgameplayer

Lol are you trying to quote yourself? Or did you just post the same crap twice but changed it a little?

It was an edit stupid, If you read it you would know that!

You posted the exact same message again but with another few sentences.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

I think I'm going to be sick.

It's not sickness, it's your mind trying to accept the actual truth. Go my child, step into the divine light of truth. Only then can you rid yourself of your own hoetry, and be considered an actual person. Because the vile sh1t stain you are now helps no one.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#64 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

Nobuo Uematsu

P.S. SotC composer is Koh Ohtani

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]

Listen to the video i posted They arent any heartful compositions like that in Viva Pinata... Game_Guy567

This doesn't count? :|

That was truly a powerful sequence in the grand lore of Seinfeld. How could have I forgotten?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

[QUOTE="wapahala"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]

I actually sent Grant Kirkhope an email about me and my brothers' experience with all of Rare's games as kids. He actually replied. Here's a portion of the mail:

[QUOTE="Grant Kirkhope"]I had great fun making those games at Rare back then and I really miss those times. I was very lucky to be there and to be part of that team, I couldn't fail to be inspired by the fantastic worlds and characters that they made.

Viva Piñata was probably my favourite game that I've worked on, I really poured my heart into that music. A lot of those tunes can still make me cry .... I'm a bit of a softie really .... Heh!

Thanks for taking the time to mail me!!! All the best and happy new year!

Cheers, Grant.epicgameplayer

Japanese music is fantastic, but saying that western composers (I know you specifically mentioned American) make bland and emotionless music is just plain wrong. Jeremy Soule's soundtrack for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are some of the best in the industry, and Paul Romero's melodies from Heroes of Might and Magic really are stunning.

Listen to the video i posted They arent any heartful compositions like that in Viva Pinata... Use your own ears and listen... I dont care what this Grant Kirkhope says. By the way, who the hell is he and why should i care about him lol ....actions speak louder then words,his music was bland Very odd of you to post what you did. Not to mention that Rare is a complete shell of their former selfes and were ruined by Microsoft long ago Also, there may be some decent to great American composers here and there, but there are far better Japanese composers Take the best American composition and compare it to the best Japanese composition too. It will be a night and day differnece. The Japanese composition more times then not blows it out of the water etc

When you wrote that Japanese composers pour their hearts into their music, it just reminded me of that email. I just felt like sharing it. I wasn't comparing his music to the music of Shadow of the Colossus. No need to be an utter ASS. Christ.. I truly feel sorry for you if don't know who he is and why you should care about him.  

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#67 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Frank Klepacki,Sonic Mayhem,Yuzo Koshiro and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi are the top ones.

Bill Brown,Alexander Brandon,Jack Wall and Masato Nakamura are also pretty ace.

epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 epicgameplayer
Member since 2013 • 882 Posts

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"][QUOTE="wapahala"]

Japanese music is fantastic, but saying that western composers (I know you specifically mentioned American) make bland and emotionless music is just plain wrong. Jeremy Soule's soundtrack for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are some of the best in the industry, and Paul Romero's melodies from Heroes of Might and Magic really are stunning.

wapahala

Listen to the video i posted They arent any heartful compositions like that in Viva Pinata... Use your own ears and listen... I dont care what this Grant Kirkhope says. By the way, who the hell is he and why should i care about him lol ....actions speak louder then words,his music was bland Very odd of you to post what you did. Not to mention that Rare is a complete shell of their former selfes and were ruined by Microsoft long ago Also, there may be some decent to great American composers here and there, but there are far better Japanese composers Take the best American composition and compare it to the best Japanese composition too. It will be a night and day differnece. The Japanese composition more times then not blows it out of the water etc

When you wrote that Japanese composers pour their hearts into their music, it just reminded me of that email. I just felt like sharing it. I wasn't comparing his music to the music of Shadow of the Colossus. No need to be an utter ASS. Christ.. I truly feel sorry for you if don't know who he is and why you should care about him.  

Thanks for sharing then. .. I wasnt trying to come off as an ass lol My bad. And no you shouldnt feel sorry for me. Ive heard many beautiful compositions from better composers. Maybe i will go look up more of his work and give him another shot though. Any other games hes worked on?
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"]

Listen to the video i posted They arent any heartful compositions like that in Viva Pinata... epicgameplayer

Yep, thats exactly why i told him its odd that he would post what he did and use Viva Pinatat as an example etc What you say is true and i already know that! But regardless, Its STILL much better music then any thing i heard in Viva Pinata. Much better put together, more fitting for the games they are in, more melodic etc As much of a terribly average game Viva Pinata was, its soundtrack was decent for an American Soundtrack, but it still doenst compare to many of the great Japanese compositions ive heard. Thats all......

Him talking about how Viva Pinata felt to him emotionally had more to do with what making that music was like to him, and that time period in his life, and less to do with the musical score itself. How did that concept go right over your head? Plus while my own personal favorites in gaming maybe Japanese, there are plenty of great western composers. Especially outside of gaming in the realm of television and film.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#71 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
1. Uematsu, god bless his many masterpieces 2. Shoji Meguro, SMT games are not the same without his work 3. Koji Kondo, Zelda's had some majestic pieces as well 4. ACE, Xenoblade's epic soundtrack is top notch, especially the battle themes
epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 epicgameplayer

I don't know...I honestly, don't really care "much" for hte music in games. A lot of the music in the video games I've played have been freaking awesome and while there may have been a few that weren't up to par with the others they all still were great to listen to no matter what.

However, I have to say, I've been listening to the Halo theme a lot recently and....god damn. It is on another f*cking level for a first person shooter; I mean, RPGs usually have fun with the awesome ochestral numbers and big sweeping epic scopes that just immerse you into the world but Halo? Damn...

I'd even give props to the Halo 2 Mjolnir Mix; might not be Ochestral but, honestly, imo, it kicks major ass.

Goyoshi12
^ what garbage lol This is exactly the kind of American music i was talking about when i said American composers to me are average at best
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

I don't know...I honestly, don't really care "much" for hte music in games. A lot of the music in the video games I've played have been freaking awesome and while there may have been a few that weren't up to par with the others they all still were great to listen to no matter what.

However, I have to say, I've been listening to the Halo theme a lot recently and....god damn. It is on another f*cking level for a first person shooter; I mean, RPGs usually have fun with the awesome ochestral numbers and big sweeping epic scopes that just immerse you into the world but Halo? Damn...

I'd even give props to the Halo 2 Mjolnir Mix; might not be Ochestral but, honestly, imo, it kicks major ass.

epicgameplayer
^ what garbage lol This is exactly the kind of American music i was talking about when i said American composers to me are average at best

Don't know how you can be taken seriously when you hate good music. Marty is one of the best ever.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jg4xchamp

The f*ck the campaigns for Halo tend to suck, but the soundtracks are wonderful. His stuff is more straight about high energy and capturing the more cavalier spirit of the games. That said O'donnell had some wonderful stuff in ODST

Any praise that game got for its atmosphere and ambiance is entirely due to the soundtrack.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

[QUOTE="wapahala"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"] Listen to the video i posted They arent any heartful compositions like that in Viva Pinata... Use your own ears and listen... I dont care what this Grant Kirkhope says. By the way, who the hell is he and why should i care about him lol ....actions speak louder then words,his music was bland Very odd of you to post what you did. Not to mention that Rare is a complete shell of their former selfes and were ruined by Microsoft long ago Also, there may be some decent to great American composers here and there, but there are far better Japanese composers Take the best American composition and compare it to the best Japanese composition too. It will be a night and day differnece. The Japanese composition more times then not blows it out of the water etcepicgameplayer

Thanks for sharing then. .. I wasnt trying to come off as an ass lol My bad. And no you shouldnt feel sorry for me. Ive heard many beautiful compositions from better composers. Maybe i will go look up more of his work and give him another shot though. Any other games hes worked on?

Ok. Now I feel bad. Sorry, bro.

Anyway, he made the music for ,Goldeneye 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, and most recently Kingdoms of Amalur.

As you probably can tell by the titles, his music is completely different compared to SotC and other "epic" games. 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Any praise that game got for its atmosphere and ambiance is entirely due to the soundtrack.

mems_1224

You could say that for all the Halo games he worked on. He's a big part of why people love the universe.

Eh he kind of sucked on Reach....well maybe not sucked, but that soundtrack save like lone wolf and that one guiter solo in the opening mission was underwhelming. Halo 4s soundtrack was...whatever. Looking forward to his Destiny stuff though. I'm sure he'll be working overtime to make up for that lack of quality game design talent at Bungie.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#82 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

The f*ck the campaigns for Halo tend to suck, but the soundtracks are wonderful. His stuff is more straight about high energy and capturing the more cavalier spirit of the games. That said O'donnell had some wonderful stuff in ODST

jg4xchamp

Wow.....that was.....wow.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

jg4xchamp

You could say that for all the Halo games he worked on. He's a big part of why people love the universe.

Eh he kind of sucked on Reach....well maybe not sucked, but that soundtrack save like lone wolf and that one guiter solo in the opening mission was underwhelming. Halo 4s soundtrack was...whatever. Looking forward to his Destiny stuff though. I'm sure he'll be working overtime to make up for that lack of quality game design talent at Bungie.

I thought Reach's had some good ones but it definitely wasn't his best. He didn't do Halo 4 and he was missed. The soundtrack wasn't bad but it didnt feel like Halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

[QUOTE="wapahala"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"] Thanks for sharing then. .. I wasnt trying to come off as an ass lol My bad. And no you shouldnt feel sorry for me. Ive heard many beautiful compositions from better composers. Maybe i will go look up more of his work and give him another shot though. Any other games hes worked on?mems_1224

Anyway, he made the music for ,Goldeneye 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, and most recently Kingdoms of Amalur.

As you probably can tell by the titles, his music is completely different compared to SotC and other "epic" games. 

he's also f*cking hilarious

Haha, yeah! Great watch/listen!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Him talking about how Viva Pinata felt to him emotionally had more to do with what making that music was like to him, and that time period in his life, and less to do with the musical score itself. How did that concept go right over your head? Plus while my own personal favorites in gaming maybe Japanese, there are plenty of great western composers. Especially outside of gaming in the realm of television and film. PannicAtack

Tan Dun, Gian-Carlo Menotti, Stephen Sondheim, John Adams, Samuel Barber, George Gershwin, Terry Riley, Steve Reich, Phillip Glass, Leonard Bernstein...

Yeah about time someone else name dropped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

[QUOTE="wapahala"]

[QUOTE="epicgameplayer"] Thanks for sharing then. .. I wasnt trying to come off as an ass lol My bad. And no you shouldnt feel sorry for me. Ive heard many beautiful compositions from better composers. Maybe i will go look up more of his work and give him another shot though. Any other games hes worked on?epicgameplayer

No, dont feel bad :( Cheer up:) I feel bad for being such an ass to you though. Ive been arguing on this forum for a good hour lol, so i was already in a very defensive mood. Im really sorry. You seem like a good guy, and i will definently check out more of his work :) Any other great American composers you's like to reccomend me haha. I feel like listening to some music

Nothing like a good ol' System Wars "patch things up after a discussion"-moment!

Well, anything by Jeremy Soule. 

And Russell Shaw aswell.

Don't know how much of a fan you are of the Might and Magic franchise, but Paul Romero has made some great melodies throughout the last twenty years or so.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#91 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

As safe of a choice it may be, I can't not pick Koji Kondo.

epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 epicgameplayer

[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]28 and still making accounts and spamming the forums with your off-topic bullshit.

Believe me, it'd be better if you were under the age of 28.

PannicAtack

[QUOTE="Consolessuck187"]I still have tilt arcade tokens i never used. lol @ these kids dont believe im 28ConanTheStoner

I'm 30.  I don't give a sh*t about your tokens and it seems a bit desperate that you want kids to believe you're 28.  As if that's some accomplishment.  

"Hey guys, my mom and dad f*cked about 29 years ago and here I am,  worship me and my arcade nostalgia!"

You are such a douche. Its that pot! You need to stop! Look I dont agree with him but he is not doing anything but posting his thoughts on an OPEN forum He isnt attacking anybody. Yes he is trollish but he doesnt have that sickening and evil type vibe to him to like Abonsabo/robbotopple do No need to attack him with such vigor. Use that same energy to attack deluded xbots like miketheman83 and robbotopple instead etc You two need to chill out Let heweee be
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#95 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Who ever does Halo and Metal Gear
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#96 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Where is Akira in your list?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#97 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Who ever does Halo and Metal Gearcaseypayne69
Metal Gear is Harry Gregson-Williams I don't know who composes the Halo soundtrack.

epicgameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 epicgameplayer
Also this is my all time favorite video game SONG. Its a full actual song. Its so melodic. There is a soft yet hard nature to it. Hard to explain but here it is. I love it
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Nobuo Uematsu bar none.

LegatoSkyheart

Well thats not Uematsu, that Mitsuda too!