1080p vs 900p vs 720p Screenshot Comparison

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@bloodlust_101 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:
@FreedomFreeLife said:

@_Matt_ said:

@glez13 said:
@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

@_Matt_ said:

Why are all those images 1600x900?

Aaaand comparison already ruined.

you have to open the image on a new tab... all of them are really downscaled and look the same if you dont open and see them in a new tab.

Actually all of them are upscaled to 1080p when you open them full size. That's also why you get that kind of color dithering effect on the lower resolution ones.

They are... but upscaled from 1600x900 which means the original 1080 image has lost a lot of details in the process from being downscaled to upscaled...

Those pictures were all in original size, and then upscaled to 1080(LIKE ALL CONSOLE GAMES ARE).

Pointless comparison then

Using upscaled 1080p images LOL

Because all console games are upscaled from 720p, 900p and 1080p to 1080p. EVERY SINGLE GAME

Heard it here first people - 1080p gets upscaled to 1080p!

the 1080p to 1080p upscaling algorithm is most complex

pixel with coordinates x, y; your new coordinates are x, y.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

Always best to choose still shots while representing clarity... especially dark pictures.

Games are in motion while they play... the higher the resolution the better it looks, that is just the way it works.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#53  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

The comparison is not very good, since they all three images have been resized to 720p by Gamespot. It's much easier to compare the difference in resolution when you upscale a lower resolution to the higher resolution. For example, here's the relative difference of an image rendered in different resolutions (click open to examine):

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Wasdie said:

Why do people willfully stay ignorant about this subject? The more pixels rendered the better the image quality is. That is fact. There is no way around that.

Loyalty to inanimate objects, obviously.

my plastic is better than your plastic

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Tighaman
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

You all are wasting time with this bull when all of yall don't have the same tv lol Your APEX LCD at full 1080 looks the same as my SAMSUNG PLASMA at 1080p? NO! I will take a game that's at 900p or 1920x800p that has SMAA+TX1 or 4xMSAA over 1080p and poor or no AA any day of the week the resolution stuff is stupid.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Wasdie said:

Why do people willfully stay ignorant about this subject? The more pixels rendered the better the image quality is. That is fact. There is no way around that.

my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@GhoX said:

The comparison is not very good, since they all three images have been resized to 720p by Gamespot. It's much easier to compare the difference in resolution when you upscale a lower resolution to the higher resolution. For example, here's the relative difference of an image rendered in different resolutions (click open to examine):

That's not a good comparison for resolution since the lower ones get degraded because of the upscaling, more like a comparison of the effects of upscaling. If you want to compare resolutions it has to be native vs native.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

More pixels = better picture quality, fact. No way around it. Now is pixel resolution the most important factor for games or movies? No and no. Things like textures, shaders, dynamic lighting, tessellation etc matter more for games and ANSI contrast ratio, deep black levels, and colour accuracy matter more for movies, but it doesn't change the fact that resolution is a significant factor and 900p has a lot less pixels than 1080p.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Wasdie said:

What movie is in your sig?

Avatar image for deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
deactivated-5851fca92f6f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

Next you'll be telling us FXAA looks better than MSAA. Stop being delusional.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

"No thanks, I don't want the camera with 40 megapixels, I'll take the one with 20, there's no difference anyway"

See how stupid this argument sounds? More pixels = more detail + cleaner image.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

you can see a big difference if you open them up in a new tab each for full screen.

Yep first thing I did. When the Batman covers most of my HDTV (as he does in gameplay), res becomes very important. If I played my games in the tiny image boxes I see on this forum, res wouldn't matter as much :P

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I must have poor vision because I see a very little difference between them.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 bloodlust_101

@bobbetybob said:

"No thanks, I don't want the camera with 40 megapixels, I'll take the one with 20, there's no difference anyway"

NO NO NO! In terms of cameras more megapixels means more noise/grain to the images if the image sensor doesn't get larger (requires a new format of lenses some times). For image quality - spreading your megapixels too dense on a sensor is not always the best method.

Besides - unless you are shooting billboards 16-20mp is more than enough for even pros.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@bloodlust_101 said:

@bobbetybob said:

NO NO NO! In terms of cameras more megapixels means more noise/grain to the images if the image sensor doesn't get larger (requires a new format of lenses some times). For image quality - spreading your megapixels too dense on a sensor is not always the best method.

Besides - unless you are shooting billboards 16-20mp is more than enough for even pros.

what's the point in a criticism like that?

he never mentioned maintaining image sensor size or anything. for all we know he might have assumed the same density of image sensor, which would mean that more megapixels results in a larger sensor.

bobbetybob - i got your point.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 bloodlust_101

@CrownKingArthur said:
@bloodlust_101 said:

@bobbetybob said:

what's the point in a criticism like that?

he never mentioned maintaining image sensor size or anything. for all we know he might have assumed the same density of image sensor, which would mean that more megapixels results in a larger sensor.

bobbetybob - i got your point.

I know :(

bobbetybob - i got your point too.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@bloodlust_101 said:

I know :(

bobbetybob - i got your point too.

Lol, no problem. I probably should have said 20 and 10 instead of 40 and 20, you're right.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#68  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Why do people keep making these threads?? 4k > 1080p > 900p > 720p. Lower resolutions may be ok to some people, but everyone can see the difference.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

I am guessing they all look different in motion, because I can not spot a difference

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

All those sceenshots are the same res, hahahahaha

I know the year has only just started, but thread of the year !

Calling it.

@Wasdie said:

Do you know the term blind fanboyism ? You can even show them the difference so they see it with their own eyes and they would still call it BS.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
  • Stage 1: Hype
  • Stage 2: Praise
  • Stage 3: Denial
  • Stage 4: Anger
  • Stage 5: Total recall

Slowly we are reaching the 3rd stage of a console generation... Happening sooner than I would have betted on as it usually takes a year or two.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@bloodlust_101 said:

@clyde46 said:

@bloodlust_101 said:

@lostrib said:

@bloodlust_101 said:

@lostrib said:

@bloodlust_101 said:

https://imageshack.com/a/img547/1681/cxu.gif (link for higher quality)

I made this myself - 1280 x 720 at ultra settings vs 1920 x 1080 at medium settings. Clearly, the 1080 looks better even though it is set to a lower graphical setting. This is especially so at longer distances.

Lol just look at the lights on the sign

If I ever have frame rate issues I reduce graphical quality - I have yet to reduce resolution. Why would I want to view something so blurry that you can't even see the high resolution models or textures? 1080p at medium is better than 720p at ultra. Since I repurchased my PS3 a few years ago it has been difficult to play the games after I played on my PC - and I attribute it to the very low image quality.

I know the feeling, I picked up a PS3 at Black Friday and yeah some of the games are pretty rough looking, most recently being RDR

I was sickened at what I saw playing Black Ops 2 and TLOU. I am glad some developers are putting a priority on resolution this time around. I can only hope that Sony applies a rule that no game can render under 900p.

Have fun playing with sub-par framerates then.

Alternatively the developers can reduce the quality of the game - it ends up looking better than 720p at ultra quality anyways. 900p 30fps should be the minimum this gen.

I often reduce my resolution 1 notch on PC when (and if) i have frame rate issues, usually down from 1440p to 1080p and if the issue persists, i'll turn off the AA next. I agree with you though, no games this gen shoudl be under 900p 30fps. If its 900p, it should have rock solid 30fps at minimum with no dips. preferable 900p/60fps or 1080p/30fps if it can't do full 1080p/60fps but bare minimum 900p/30fps.

With me having a 720p tv, the FPS is actually more important than the resolution. I lvoe silky smooth gameplay.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

OP is a fucking idiot I'm sorry.

If you can't tell the difference between 2,073,600 pixels and 921,600 pixels there's either something wrong with your eyes, your brain or you need to go back to pre-school to learn how to count.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Wasdie:

Absolutely. I find it funny how many people get so wound up about this though.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Once again, a lem has completely missed the point.

Its not WHAT that is important.

Its WHY that is important.

WHY is the X1 failing to achieve parity with the PS4 on multiplats?

Most people know the answer already, but it still gets overlooked here on SW.

The X1 is quantitatively inferior hardware. The only thing that the X1 achieves parity with on the PS4 is CPU power. GPU and RAM tilts in the PS4's favor. There's absolutely no way around this. This will become more and more important as time goes on, and we leave cross-generational titles behind.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Lol love the Lemmings logic this gen

Lems: 720p and 900p don't matter there's no difference!! Plus Forza and Kinect Sports is 1080P but it's not needed!!!

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@glez13 said:

@GhoX said:

That's not a good comparison for resolution since the lower ones get degraded because of the upscaling, more like a comparison of the effects of upscaling. If you want to compare resolutions it has to be native vs native.

Isn't that exactly the point? Most people don't have a 900p screen.

Lower resolution than the native fo the panel just looks bad and blurry, and introduces upscaling artifacts. But there's also more detial in the higher resolution screen.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

The question is what if a game on both X1 and PS4 is running at 720p, on which console you'd think the game could run better (performance + details)?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

TC is gonna have a tough time this gen. He wakes up every day knowing he will have to be in full DC mode 24/7, knowing that the majority of his games will be 720p and he has to lie to himself continually trying to justify his purchase of a more expensive, inferior machine.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#81 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

You can never tell the difference with with such small pics. Blow them up to actual size and 720p would start to get hazy and lose detail.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@gameofthering said:

I tend to notice a resolution difference when it's displayed on a TV.

Yeah its called playing games in the real world, not just going by some what some random on the internet says is real.

That's the beauty of the internet though, any moron can just post some images and say whatever they want to go along with it without actually providing links or real proof about what they are talking about.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Avatar image for Sharp-Shooter89
Sharp-Shooter89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Sharp-Shooter89
Member since 2012 • 128 Posts
@gameofthering said:

I decided to try it just now on my PC at 1080P & 720P.

There is a noticeable difference while in game, but looking at these screens makes it hard to tell much of a difference.

you cannot compare a native 720 res image to a native 1080p image, you MUST "upscale" AKA stretch the image to match the 1080p image size, THEN COMPARE THEM

otherwise your just looking at a small 720 image compared to a large 1080p image, if you came over my house and changed my graphical settings to all my games to 1600x900 without telling me, the moment i look at the menu screen i would know something was changed, simple things like texts do not look crisp at all

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

Can lems get any more desperate? At this point you'd probably think a 720p image would look the same as a 4k image if you sit further back enough lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Great job OP. Excellent post!

I also submit to the school of thought that having the same exact game rendered with a substantially lower pixel count looks identical. Resolution and image quality have no correlation. Only some fact-believing idiot would think otherwise, but you and I know better.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

BF4 comparison. All taken at 1080p, using the upscaler to modify the internal resolution.

Everything Ultra with no AA whatsoever so people can see the effect of resolution over aliasing.

Open in new tabs.

4K:

1440p:

1080p:

900p:

720p:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@EducatingU_PCMR: The difference is very noticeable. Everyone who claims they can't see it, needs to take their fanboy goggles off.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

lmao, lemmings. Those 720p shots were upscaled in Photoshop. Upscalers in consoles and TVs and very different.

Here's a better example.